Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1121 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 20 - 12:04am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / General Technology /

TUNE UP SUGGESTIONS 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
jmerc Aug 01, 2003, 04:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: TUNE UP SUGGESTIONS
Only thing I find troubling about that is that if you wanna restore, it will but with the original configuration when I first set it up. Right?

Life is too short, make the best of it!
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
jmerc Aug 01, 2003, 04:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Only thing I find troubling about that is that if you wanna restore, it will but with the original configuration when I first set it up. Right?

BlackHawk Aug 04, 2003, 11:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes, it restores it to the configuration you had when the restore point was created. I made one following installation of my OS, drivers, and performing a few tweaks for system performance. Since my OS is on a separate logical drive, if I need to do a restore the only thing I lose are the start menu shortcuts of programs I added following the restore point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I do not suffer from insanity ...
I enjoy every minuet of it!
jmerc Aug 04, 2003, 11:41am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well Ray Stephens was kind enough to share some tips with me over the last week with regards to deleting older restore points and keeping the most current restore point.

Couldn't believe I freed up about 3GB to 4GB of drive space (thanks Ray).

Thanks to everyone who contributed, that was awesome.

Jay

PS, Ray post the tips you gave me as you should get the thanks for that one.

Bawitdaba Aug 04, 2003, 12:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
dude restoring is a waste of time. Your going to put your trust into the faith of microsoft are u nuts? If you are serious about backing stuff up use Ghost to make a image. The only time I make images is for disastier so you dont have to reinstall everything from scratch. In the major event that windows gets screwed over but your data files are ok, you pop in your windows xp or 2000 cd and when the blue menu comes up you do a repair install. This will replace all system files with clean files from the cd it should also maintain your registry fixing any problems you might endure. There is also last known good config. So with all of the above why bother with a system restore, its just a quick fix not worth the room unless u have it to spare.

-Bawitdaba

"Losers complain about doing their best, winners go home and f00k the prom queen"
jmerc Aug 04, 2003, 12:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the tip, but I'll leave it as is for now as I do have an 80GB.

I will look into your suggestions though as I think your right about me putting my trust in microsoft (which is pretty nil right now).

Got a link where I can view this? Always looking for way to improve my pc experience.

Thanks,
Jay

Bawitdaba Aug 04, 2003, 01:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just know it all from experience, the software which is called Ghost you can get as a bundled packages called Systemworks ( http://www.symantec.com ). Everyone that has tryed that i know likes it. It can do images of anything even linux unix or whatever type of file system you have. Its compression is also very good.

-Bawitdaba

"Losers complain about doing their best, winners go home and f00k the prom queen"
asphalt2000 Aug 04, 2003, 02:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i've wasted too much time doing tuneups with software that claim to tune up your system. uggghhh. the simplest, fastest, and most reliable way so far was as Sander has suggested but do a Ghost image first. I totally agree with Bawitdaba... we'd be nuts to trust Microsoft =P. Repartition it too. Depending on the version of the Windows you're going to use, i'd suggest the boot partition to be as less as possible. install your programs on the other partitions, including your docs.

if you're always bothered with cleanups, try using Linux instead as this OS doesn't claim to think for you. heh heh. =)

i always thought it was bad enough for kernel's to be dealing with daemons.
Harris Walktin Aug 04, 2003, 04:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I recommend these programs(as I use them all the time):
Tweak XP Pro
Ashampoo WinOptimizer Suite
PC Medik
Clean System Directory
Free ram XP Pro
Power Toys XP
Lavasoft Adware
PC Mechanic
Tweak Manager
Windows Configurator
System Mechanic

Ofcoarse I payed for each one of them to get all the good options, but the shareware version works but with many limitations, I suggest you pay for a license for most of them.

- Harris W. -AMD Employee
AMD cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your PC by my advice. My advice is valid.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.