Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1363 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 01 - 02:32pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

Sony VAIO Notebook won't start ... often 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
Jason Criddle Nov 15, 2004, 11:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony VAIO Notebook won't start ..
Hi
I've got a Vaio PCG-GRZ660, It only powers up now and again.I have to leave it without ac power or battery connected for about 2 hours.Then if I'm lucky it might power up for about 8 min or so, then shuts down to nothing, anyboby got any ideas.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
bob y Nov 20, 2004, 06:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony VAIO Notebook won't start ... often
Dear UK , EU & SCANDINAVIAN customers,

If you got DIMM slot problem with your vaio....you can do it here in london...it is simple and safer than send to US......might be you can sort out with in 2 to 3 hours

You don't need to send your laptops to usa for repair......i found a good option for you... it is cheap and safer.... contact me personaly i will let you know the details case by case basis ....the_daily_mirror@yahoo.co.uk

REGARDS
BOB

congociti Jan 27, 2005, 05:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello everyone,
I was having the same problem with my cousin's system where it would not boot at all, I went through everything including taking it apart and putting it back together. It seems that this was a waste of time and effort as I have found the couse on this system. It seems that of the RAM slots on the system has gone bad becase as soon as I add stick of RAM to that slot my system power up but the hard drive turns on for a second then it turns itself of nothing else happens after this.
My cousin's VIAO is a PCG-FX340 and I have tried to see if it is the RAM chip that is bad by putting it in the other slot by itself in the system and the system boots fine, but if I put it on the other slot that is bad am back to were the system will not start. so in conclusion if you have two sticks of RAM in your systems and they are not booting try to empty one of the slots and turn it on it worked wonder for the system Am working on.
Also I not sure if it having an issue with the system having a 256MB and a 128MB of RAM or if the system will work fine if both stick are of the same amounts. I will try this next as now the system has limited RAM in it.

Steve Cronk May 18, 2005, 10:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony VAIO Notebook only showing 256MB not 512MB i paid for.
Has anyone heard anything about a class action lawsuit for this?
Sony has lost a customer!!

Steve Cronk May 18, 2005, 11:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow..I dont remember who initially posted the fix with shrink wrap tubing, but you are my hero!!!
Just by chance I had some shrink wrap tubing laying it around and cut three small strips and
placed them between the chips on the ram in slot2 and put the case back on. It felt a little tight when i was shutting the door and it is slightly bubbled. Did anyone else notice the same thing? Or should I use a thinner tubing? It is great to be back to 512MB, wish I had more, but its definitely better than the 256MB I was stuck dealing with. Thanks for nothing SONY!!!

David Hanna Jun 26, 2005, 02:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sony Vaio won't start
I've got a PCG-F420 that won't start. I am operating on a/c only as the batteries are dead. When I power it up, the three lights "num lock, cap lock and scroll lock" all come on at the same time and then nothing. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Dave

Darren Geiser Jun 29, 2005, 10:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dave,
I was having the same problem you are, but I think I have fixed it! My old motherboard would only power up if the power cord was seated in a certain position in the dc jack. I tried replacing the jack but it never worked. I think I ruined the motherboard so I found a replacement one that I was told worked. I installed it yesterday and tried powering it up today, but still no luck. The only thing was when I would plug in the power cord, the 3 keyboard lights would light up for a second and then go off. So today I was searching here on this board for an answer. Earlier in this post someone suggested pushing on the RAM cover on the bottom of the computer while pushing the power button or trying to turn it on. I did that, and now it works fine. It boots up and you don't have to push on the RAM cover for it to stay on or anything. Nor do I have to position the power cord in a certain way in the jack for it to work.

It was any easy fix for me, so I hope it will work for you too!!!

Let me know if it works!

jacob netanel Jul 21, 2005, 09:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sony VAIO Notebook won't start - How to fix it and save 100's of $
Well, I had this problem with my vaio and reading advices on this site really helped me.

The problem is with the memory sockets not making good connections.

Here are the main advices in one place:

1. Open the memory cover at the back using a small philips screwdriver, put something above the memory units (I used folded pieces of paper) and close the cover firmly. This one worked great in my case!

2. Open the cover, take out the memory unit at socket #2 (close to the back of the vaio). It will leave you half the memory but it may solve the problem. (didn't work for me).

3. Open the cover, take out the memory units, clean the golden contaccts with a pencil eraser and put it back firmly. (worked for me once for a couple of months).

4. Take out the battery and power cable for few hours.

Hope it will revive the dead vaio as it did for me. Good luck and thanks to all the good people here.
Its a shame that Sony do not fix this harware design failure in all models after so long and the BIOS is not smart enough to detect memory problems at the start!

David Kunsberg Jul 27, 2005, 10:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi!
I have an old Sony PCG-XG18 that unfortunately, won't start up. I can't get any of its lights to blink and it never comes on. I am fairly sure that it is not a problem with my ac because when I hook that up to the dock that I have the dock power light goes on. I have tried both of my cards and even taken out my CD drive and used both of them at the same time. Still it is unable to boot up and I can't find the manual reset button.

If anyone has suggestions on what I should do please help

Thanks
David

Albert Chen Sep 01, 2005, 04:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problems with the PCG-GRV670. However, I tried the technique posted by Jacob two posts up with the memory sockets and the VAIO was working fine, until a few days ago...

I have a new problem, which I think is a little more serious. When I turn on the Vaio, the fan does not even turn on anymore. The only thing that happens right when I press the power button is the green power light, battery 1 light, and battery 2 light (which I don't even have) turn on and just freeze. The lights basically stay on and the power button doesn't do anything anymore from that point on. So basically, all I have is a green light and 2 orange lights next to it. The only way I can get out of it is by taking the battery out and putting it in. I thought this would solve the problem, but I still get the same freezing of the lights right when I press the power button. I am perplexed because the fan doesn't even turn on anymore. It must be something with the boot or startup, obviously, but I have no idea what it is or if it even fixable.

Has anyone on this post run into a similar freezing of the lights problem where the fan doesn't even turn on anymore, much less boot up?

eric azinger Sep 28, 2005, 09:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am having the exact same problem with my GRX570.

Max K Sep 29, 2005, 09:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This is 100% a memory slot problem again - you definitely need to resolder contacts in these slots. It is pretty easy to do. If you want it repaired you may contact me or any other technician who have experience fixing vaios...

--
Send me a private message if you need your laptop repaired! Low prices, high quality!
Alexandre Souza Oct 28, 2005, 01:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, I will not tell I found a solution, but it worked for me.

I repair notebooks for a living, and sony computers are very common here, almost all of them with common defects between models. This PCG-GRZ610 is the first one that came here, but already passed thru 2 service shops.

Gyorgy Pirok went right on target - In this notebook, there were some broken solders in the DIMM socket. I resoldered with the SMD station and the notebook is working so far (some 3 hours and no failure - before that it won't last 20 min - when I could turn it on because it sometimes wouldn't start up!!!!).

According with the messages of the varius forums I read, I'd create a "mainenance list" for these d*m*ed notebooks:
- Clean the air path
- Check if the heat pipe is well seated on the processor, with GOOD QUALITY thermal paste
- Resolder ALL the DIMM sockets (you'll need a SMD hot air tool for that and good quality SMD flux)

I hope it helps, in no way is a "PCG-GRZ maintenance manual" but I think it will cover most problems
Greetings from Brazil! Take a look at http://www.tabajara-labs.com.br - this is my page :o)
Alexandre Souza

Andy Uy Nov 13, 2005, 08:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
man, i have the same problem =( i bought this PCG-FRR55E from japan, 2 years ago...4 months ago this laptop is acting ridiculous, when i turn on, it will run but for a few minutes, it will suddenly turn off and won't start again, the green light will only blink,and off again, i wonder why when i tried to remove the ac supply and use the battery it won't turn off, but when im using the ac supply , it will turn off suddenly,, then i will have a hard time turning it back on, my laptops memory is 256 and now its only using 128 =( can somebody help me please...i really regret of buying this brand.... help

jacob netanel Nov 13, 2005, 08:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
see my post above:

jacob netanel Jul 21, 2005, 09:50 AM Message - Profile - Add Buddy - Alert Moderators

Sony VAIO Notebook won't start - How to fix it and save 100's of $
Well, I had this problem with my vaio and reading advices on this site really helped me.

The problem is with the memory sockets not making good connections.

Here are the main advices in one place:

1. Open the memory cover at the back using a small philips screwdriver, put something above the memory units (I used folded pieces of paper) and close the cover firmly. This one worked great in my case!

2. Open the cover, take out the memory unit at socket #2 (close to the back of the vaio). It will leave you half the memory but it may solve the problem. (didn't work for me).

3. Open the cover, take out the memory units, clean the golden contaccts with a pencil eraser and put it back firmly. (worked for me once for a couple of months).

4. Take out the battery and power cable for few hours.

Hope it will revive the dead vaio as it did for me. Good luck and thanks to all the good people here.
Its a shame that Sony do not fix this harware design failure in all models after so long and the BIOS is not smart enough to detect memory problems at the start!

Andy Uy Nov 13, 2005, 10:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
now, is working ok, my problem is my memory is registering half??? now it won't shutdown anymore like before...but what im having problem is my memory, it is supos to be 256mb and now using only 128 help.... i tried the paper thing already...still the same..

Tommy Smith Jan 05, 2006, 02:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok for the ones who are interested I have an attorney that wants to file a Class Action Law suit against Sony. The websight address will be http://www.laptopwontboot.com and should be up by the first of next week.

andre hoffman Jan 07, 2006, 01:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am having the same problem. I have tried everything. Now both of my Sony Vaios wont start. I bought one three years ago and it failed after 18mo. I was so in love with Sony at the time however. I bought a Vaio S last year for my wife which failed after 12 mo and 3 days. Now it wont turn on. I have concluded that I will never buy another sony product. The support has been awful. They are making money like crazy off of the costly repairs without product support. Overall the product/service is terrible. So-long to Sony products for me!!!!

liesl brookes Jan 17, 2006, 06:04am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony VAIO fixed for free - with cardboard!!
My laptop is a PCG - GRV616G but presume will work with everyone elses laptop who has the same problem as me. The hard drive wasn't booting but the computer was turning on i.e. nothing was coming up on screen but power was getting through.

Thanks to the person who mentioned wedging up your memory chips with some bubble wrap (shrink wrap)! Ive used thick cardboard (any type of old cardbaord you can get your hands on!) - placed a strip of this along where the memory chips are held (the cream chip holders)... then screw up the back again. Bobs your uncle the laptop starts and with the full 512mb of ram!!

How long this will continue for god only knows!! Hey how thats laptops for you - they take a lot more stresses and strains than desktops do so things are bound to become loose.

I considered joining in to take Sony to court as well and sue their arses but lifes too short - this is surely just the way modern technology goes. It stinks but its a fact - the rich get richer and we just cant say 'no' to that next lovely new piece of technology! As consumers we demand a lot - lets not get greedy now (obviously its a different matter if you have had these problems and it has been less than 2 years!)

C T CHEUNG Jan 17, 2006, 11:20am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
May be it is not the problem of the ram slot. It may be the ram's gold fingers getting dirty. Try to use a pencil hard rubber eraser to rub the gold finger to shinely bright on both sides of the ram circuit board and then put it back to the slot and try.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.