Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1070 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 09:28am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

Sony VAIO Notebook won't start ... often 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
Joe Higgins Feb 01, 2006, 08:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony VAIO Notebook won't start ... often
After it gathered dust for a year, I cut a business card into small pieces and
stacked them onto of the ram and replaced the lid. Booted fine. My 4 yo
banged on the protruding pci wireless card and it refused to boot. A few more
pieces of my business card and all is well since (about a week). I am
treating it very carefully, though.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tom Pappas Apr 07, 2006, 01:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 07, 2006, 01:25pm EDT

>> The solutions to most Sony VAIO laptop startup/shutdown problems
What happens when you turn on the power?

1. Nothing. No lights, no sounds: http://vaioshutdown.com/dead.html

2. It starts and runs okay, but after a while quits. http://vaioshutdown.com/overheat.html

3. Boots up to the Windows splash screen but immediately shuts down. http://vaioshutdown.com/ship.html

4. Green power light comes on and stays on, and yellow HDD light flickers and goes out. http://vaioshutdown.com/sodimm.html

Tom
http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Jim Reilly May 03, 2006, 01:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I used Dave Osborn's Oct 6,2003 fix for my GRX550 no boot problem:

"BOTTOM LINE FIX: Open the bottom cover with a small phillips screwdriver - it seems that the majority of the failures are coming from memory slot #2 (the one closest to the back of the computer) - buy a short length of heat-shrink wrap ( the kind you would use on about 12ga wire) - cut 3 short lengths of it and place it in between each of the memory chips (the theory is that when you put the cover back on - it pushes the chip down) I did this and it shows my full amount of ram again...."

All is now well including the full 512MB memory (both slots).

Tom Pappas May 03, 2006, 01:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> DON'T DO IT!!!!!!
Sorry to yell, but I wanted to make sure you see this:

We have fixed hundreds of these machines. The ones that have had something jammed in between the cover and SODIMM slot are often unrepairable as a result of too much pressure warping the mother board and breaking tiny PC traces.

Get it fixed.

Tom

Gerald Branch May 08, 2006, 09:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Had the 'memory slot' problem two times so far in just over 12 months. Both times my NV170 had to go back to depot support. The temporary fixes mentioned would work most of the time, but since I had warranty, I sent it back in for service. Was told by one of the repair dudes that it was a solder problem.

This last time they replaced the component completely, so hopefully, this will not repeat itself.

From the number of complaints on this issue, I would think Sony would offer some sort of 'recall/fix' for its customers. Sure better than losing a bunch of us. I love my laptop, except for a few things (like noisy clicking/clacking hard drive). And not being able to upgrade video memory, and being able to put in 1GB ram (that would really be nice!)

Gerald Branch Jun 23, 2006, 10:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Had the 'memory slot' problem two times so far in just over 12 months. Both times my NV170 had to go back to depot support. The temporary fixes mentioned would work most of the time, but since I had warranty, I sent it back in for service. Was told by one of the repair dudes that it was a solder problem.

This last time they replaced the component completely, so hopefully, this will not repeat itself.

From the number of complaints on this issue, I would think Sony would offer some sort of 'recall/fix' for its customers. Sure better than losing a bunch of us. I love my laptop, except for a few things (like noisy clicking/clacking hard drive). And not being able to upgrade video memory, and being able to put in 1GB ram (that would really be nice!)

L Sprad Aug 12, 2006, 12:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a similar problem with my wife's VAIO. She has a PCG-XG18, older around '98. It has the fold-down cooler design that makes access dificult. All but the hard drive are accessible from above, but I can not seem to remove the keyboard. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I loved this laptop, though a bit slow, for very long. Until this complete shutdown, which may be related to overheating, it had not a problem. I even loaded a modded version of XP that was very CPU intensive. I really hope to clear this up, as the laptop is worth keeping for a good number of years yet.

Levon

oh cho Aug 17, 2006, 01:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Vaio kept failing to boot after cold nights. A months ago my ac power supply exploded internally, although not as Dell does. I asked them to fix it, but they say it was falty adaptor that exploded. But I keep having the same problem. These days are getting OK as nighttime temp rises here! I think my Vaio is something to do with small internal battery. I am going to go service center and replace it sooner or later.

Mohammed Mohammed Sep 03, 2006, 11:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
can't believe that i am not the only one having this problem with my sony Vaio..i have the same problem like all of you..i turn on my laptop (PCG-FX A53) and after a few minutes, it shutts down. the screen goes blank and i have to wait at least 30 seconds to be able to turn it on..i have had this computer for almost 3 years now and this problem started a few months ago. I don't know what to do ! i have my school work in this laptop and i am worried that one day it will just crash on me ! any advice would be appreciated. i have to add that i am not willing to pay more than $100 to fix this problem, and i live in NYC..
this is the last SONY computer i would buy and i have been advising every one i know not to buy this piece of junk..
any news about the lawsuit ! i am in !
thanks

Srini Mag Oct 06, 2006, 01:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> I think I know the problem and the solution for "Vaio does not turn on" issue
Guys,

I had the same problem with my Sony Vaio VGN FS 730w last Monday. Luckily mine is within warranty period so the service guy came to my place to fix it for free.

Issue I had: As of Monday morning, my sony Vaio did not turn on. I tried both with and without battery, but no use. Then I called Sony Tech support, they walked me through the troubleshooting procedure. but still it did not turn on. When I say 'did not turn on', I did not even see any lights, noteven once.

The Problem: The notebook comes with a small, delicate rubber kind latch attached to the mother board. It is located somewhere close the memory slot and between the lower cover of the laptop and the mother board. When you close your LCD monitor, this latch gets bent activating the 'Hybernate' process. In my case the latch got stuck (in bending position) even after I opened the monitor. So the system thought the monitor is closed so it did not respond when I clicked the power button.

The solution: The tech support guy used the screw driver to create some space between the lower cover of the laptop and the mother board. This released the latch. Holding the screw driver in that position he clicked the power button and it turned on. Then he took out the screw driver. Since then my laptop is working fine.

Note: Please use this technique at your own risk.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

david thomas Oct 11, 2006, 02:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Have had same issue with intermittent power failure, shutdown, and after checking RAM on a whim, saw that it was only seeing half of the RAM. Upon further investigation (different combinations of RAM [luckily I had an extra 256 chip to test with]) and checking Crucial's website, and running their analyzer, narrowed it down to the #2 slot as well.

Tried booting while pressing the #2 chip, and the computer saw all the memory. I have replaced the cover now with the handy cardboard suggested by a few already and it works like a charm. Will invest in the heat shrink soon...

Amazing the help you can find on the internet - thanks to all!

Tom Pappas Oct 12, 2006, 12:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
david thomas -

Adding pressure to the memory sockets is dangerous, because it puts pressure on other things besides the sockets, which can cause the mother board to fail.

The real solution is to have the slots re-soldered by an experienced technician.

Tom Pappas

Sam Szabo Oct 26, 2006, 11:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> PRESS ON IT
OK I had to register for this forum just to say the suggestion of PRESSING ON THE LAPTOP WHILE BOOTING is AWESOME

Was getting just a blinking cursor (?!) after the splash screen. BIOS would come up if I held F2 but it wouldn't boot from HD, CD or floppy. Classic bad memory issue.

So I read about pressing on the laptop below the keybord while booting, I was all "well it can't hurt" and guess what it worked!!!

my PCG-FX270K is about 6 years old, apparently I've been lucky with few problems with it so far. But apparently Sony's master design is still in effect, maybe this is the beginning of the end....

thanks all

Tom Pappas Oct 26, 2006, 02:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Pressing on the SODIMM slots only works if there is contact with the mother board
In the degenerate condition, there is actually daylight between the socket pins and the solder traces. In this case, it might start with pressure, but will quit as soon as the pressure is released.

Best to get it re-soldered by someone who knows what he's doing. We've done hundreds of these repairs.

Tom

Mahesh Mantri Nov 09, 2006, 01:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks everyone for posting their problems and solutions.
I had VGN-FS790 which stopped working all of a sudden. It refused to turn on. No LEDs, no indication. I even tried changing battery.

Finally came accross solution posted by Srini Mag. And it worked. I opened the laptop's bottom cover, under the keybord, placed a screwdriver and swiched it on. And it now started working fine.

Thanks a lot Srini for posting this valuable information!

Goncalo Silva Dec 01, 2006, 10:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same thing here.
My model is the very, very expensive (almost 3.000 USD) pcg-8q4m... it ceased working about 1,5yrs after acquisition... was on my 2year guarantee... sent it to Sony... came back once with the same problem... sent it again... they changed the hard disk (and with it all my information and work files gone!!)...
Today, 2 months thereafter, it broke again... lost my work again... back at sony, but even if it comes back alright, I can not trust it anymore... cannot afford working on something and losing it again... you never know when it will happen, how many hours work it will cost you... and you cannot create a backup all the time, only now and then... THEY REALLY, REALLY SUCK... AND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ONE YOU CAN SPEAK TO WITH THEIR LOUSY, LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE... I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM SONY AGAIN!!! BELIEVE ME!!!

John Day Dec 22, 2006, 09:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony VAIO Notebook PCG GRZ630
Does anyone have this model and are you experiencing multiple problems?

Here are a few of mine:

Overheating
Won't boot up
Lights flicker or displays only the battery light but machine is on (no screen)
Clicking noises when booting
Blue screen and or sometimes no screen

Juan Abreu Feb 25, 2007, 09:26am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and it worked. Hopefully, it continues to work. If this doesn't continue to work I'm trying the shrink wrap suggestion next.

REX Stetson said:
Sort of.

Me and another guy at work have a VAIO and they both went out at the same time. We developed a nice workaround that is really SIMPLE for those times when they won't boot up no matter what:

HERE IS THE SOLUTION

Press on the bottom square panel (where the memory is) while restarting.
Starts right up for both of us every time.!

Inspired by the insulator and post-it note suggestions, but we couldn't find a screwdriver.

Good luck.
Let the forum know if this works for others!

Ken Wilson Mar 22, 2007, 11:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 22, 2007, 11:28am EDT

I am having the EXACT same problem as posted below.

I have model# PCG-8C4L, but I believe this is also referred to as PCG-GRX520 by Sony.

I guess I will try to fix it as mentioned below, but I have my doubts as not even an external monitor will show a picture... I suspect the video card is fried - no warning or problematic usage prior! It was working fine for surfing the net one minute, then the next minute BLACK SCREEN. Rebooting, etc do nothing to remedy the situation - although the power light comes on and the dvd drive spins on boot-up. :/

I'm guessing the video card is integrated into the motherboard, so I'll need a new motherboard? NICE! :(

*edit* After reading Tom's post above, I found his link and this sounds like exactly my problem:

http://vaioshutdown.com/sodimm.html

I guess I'll try his diagnostic and see!!!

Oguz Ileri said:
Guys,sorry to hear your problems but after many hours and days of research work for the same approximate problem;the closest Icame to was:
Board ground contact problem,the area that gets effected is the blower fan cage,that is torqued by(probably inch pounds)or turns .I'm sure any of you that have been below the keyboard might have noticed the holes where the mounting screws go in have numbers indicating so.
My "Sony" which I passionetly hate now,did the same thing in one year to be exact.Ofcourse through telephone conversations thru tech help all I got was main Board or the usual $300 or $700 answer.
After obtaining another motherboard (which was extremly hard for a good price),I had the same exact problem.You guys are lucky cause your computer comes on intermittenly.Mine went blank as I was working on it,tried to turn it back on came on with blank screen,(power led on/fan on\though no post)hd whirs then shuts down,cd/dvd will spin.
By the way mine is aPCG FX 270.I even talked one of the technical support guys to okay for a shop manul purchase through Sony Parts after explaning to him the all the trouble shooting I did including display,inverter,power board etc,only trouble was after I received the shop manual finding out that there is a diagnostic software to be acquired thru Sony for their use which ofcourse they would not sell me. Back to "0"
The info I gathered about the ground fault was thru a tech friend working at a very busy downtown shop.If any body has gone far enough you will notice each screw has a brass mounting bushing and a different spring tension.The harness connector to display,ground cable also mounts on the fan cage,if ground faulty there with no load from display,will also cause power problems.My theory is that with time and usage,as rinky dink as the cooling system is the screws with spring tension,back off,or cause intermitten ground disconnects.Feel free to add your comments please.I too use to be a Sony fan till I opened the inside,as far as I'm concerned there is nothing worth $700.

Ken Wilson Mar 23, 2007, 10:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, I did indeed have the SODIMM problem described on:

http://vaioshutdown.com/sodimm.html

So I guess I'll need to send it to them for repair - has anyone sent their laptop to them for repair and is pleased with the service/ experience?

I can solder, and that's what looks like needs to be done - but of course don't want to damage the motherboard further..... What prevents this problem from reoccuring once it's repaired?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.