Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1154 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 09:38am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

Sony VAIO Notebook won't start ... often 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Elana N Sep 20, 2007, 04:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony VAIO Notebook won't start ... often
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-A160 that will not boot up. It just shows a black screen with a blinking curser. Also there is a little light on that has never been there before and i cant shut it off. Can anybody help??? Im getting ready to throw it out of the window!!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Mike H Dec 12, 2007, 02:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I recently got a Sony VAIO FX220 donated by a friend. After some time, it would start up only intermittently. You never knew when it would start or not. After tearing it apart several times I finally found the problem. There is a very small shut down switch under where the latch is when you close it that was sticking in the down position. Since it was stuck it would not allow the laptop to start. I didn't know it was there as I am in the habit of shutting down before I close the laptop. I hope this helps someone with the same problem. I wonder how many people junked their FX series laptop just because the switch got stuck!!

Mitchell Briggs Apr 14, 2008, 06:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Okay. My Vaio started the same EXACT thing as is described here. I've had this one quite a number of years so I suppose I am lucky that it is just now doing this. It is a PCG-F160.

Here's what to do to fix the problem: Just copy and past into your URL this address and follow the steps:
http://www.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~zwerger/cip/Vaio/indexeng.htm

orson whitfield May 04, 2008, 11:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the Sony Vaio model number PCG-GRX570 and it is displaying the same symptoms. I used a piece of a pencil erasure head to plce inside the memory area between the lid/cover and memory chip. It worked for a while but everntually went back to being unreliable. And it was very sensitive to typing vibration. I want to get this fixed. Has any one sent it in for the soldering repair? To who and what were the results?

TIA

Joel Paez Apr 02, 2009, 08:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem 2 years after I bought my sony laptop. Now, it won't even start. A couple of years ago. I've replaced the memory from 2x128 to 1x512 and it helped for a while. I thought I was over the problems until it started to fail again last year. I noticed the machine would over heat. To fix this problem, I would clean out the fan area with an air can. This was somewhat helpful. This laptop has been a very costly mistake. Not worth the $2,100 I paid for it.

Meats_Of_Evil Apr 03, 2009, 01:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
That's the bad thing about laptops. You can hardly upgrade them and it's too damn hard to operate on the inside.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I write is Sarcasm.
Ian Springham Mar 02, 2010, 07:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A neighbour asked me to look at their PCG-4F1M (TX1XP) that was exhibiting similar symptoms. The memory chip cover was slightly dented; as soon as I loosened its screw, everything improved. All worked with the extra RAM removed, albeit slowly. I pressed out the dent, reinstalled the RAM - nada! I'm pretty sure this is the source of the problems and will soldier on. More news as it comes.

Gerald Branch Jan 03, 2011, 10:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Had the 'memory slot' problem two times so far in just over 12 months. Both times my NV170 had to go back to depot support. The temporary fixes mentioned would work most of the time, but since I had warranty, I sent it back in for service. Was told by one of the repair dudes that it was a solder problem.

This last time they replaced the component completely, so hopefully, this will not repeat itself.

From the number of complaints on this issue, I would think Sony would offer some sort of 'recall/fix' for its customers. Sure better than losing a bunch of us. I love my laptop, except for a few things (like noisy clicking/clacking hard drive). And not being able to upgrade video memory, and being able to put in 1GB ram (that would really be nice!)

john albrich Jan 04, 2011, 10:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Hard Drive Noise Reduction

Gerald Branch said:
...I love my laptop, except for a few things (like noisy clicking/clacking hard drive)....

Gerald,

You might try simply making sure your hard drive is properly installed in its compartment. Also removing and re-installing your hard drive might make a difference, and if you're somewhat knowledgeable and can take into account things like mechanical stresses and ventilation blocking...can modify the way the drive is supported in its compartment (e.g. add sound deadening foam/rubber/tape at strategic spots).

And, depending on the drive manufacturer and model, there are software utilities available that can reduce the sound it produces by modifying the way it accesses data. These are called disk acoustic profilers or managers. However, the price is usually the disk performance is degraded by a bit...perhaps as much as 10% or so. I've never actually done any objective before/after performance tests but I've never "felt" the performance difference...but definitely noticed the drive was quieter. For example, Seatools (Seagate/Maxtor), ftools (IBM/Hitachi), Drive Diagnostic Utility (Samsung), and others. Some tools also will work on other manufacturer's drives, but they don't guarantee results.

Such a utility may have even come bundled with your notebook. Of course, always backup any disk before using any utilities on it.

Something else to consider is that the noise could indicate a failing drive. Make sure you're backing up your data (e.g. use Macrium Reflect Free Edition, DriveImageXML, or similar). You can also use a utility like "Disk Checkup" to interrogate the drive's SMART data and get an idea if any drive parameters are degraded or degrading over time.

http://majorgeeks.com/Macrium_Reflect_FREE_Edition_d6034.html
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

http://majorgeeks.com/DriveImage_XML_d4919.html
http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/
http://majorgeeks.com/Seagate_SeaTools_for_Windows_d2858.html

http://majorgeeks.com/IBM_-_Hitachi_Feature_Tool_d3388.html

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/S...HUTIL.html

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

dr george Sep 13, 2011, 09:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio VGN FW340DW laptop
I have bought Sony products for over 35 years...but until I got this product all the tvs..vcrs..etc worked perfectly....but after experiencing this shut down of this 800 plus dollar computer...I SAY SHAME ON YOU SONY...I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SONY PRODUCT AND I HAVE ACCESS TO THOUSANDS OF SUBSCRIBERS...AND I WILL DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO TELL THE WORLD WHAT A PIECE OF GARBAGE SONY PUTS OUT THERE...I HOPE THEY GO BANKRUPT. DR. GEORGE.
they are not an honourable company anymore.

Tommy Smith Sep 16, 2011, 02:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 28, 2013, 10:31am EDT

There has been two problems with VAIO's one has been bad solder on memory slots and the more recent one is bad solder on the video chip. I have an HP dr6000 laptop that is doing the same thing and it was the video problem. There is Co. in NY that all they do is fix and repair it cost $70.00 to have mine re-flow soldered its AvonPcPitstop, New Web Sight: Notebook Tek . They also have an eBay store. I'm a retired IT person and I cant say enough about them.

http://www.AvonPcPitstop.com

New Web Sight:
http://notebooktek.com/

Link To eBay Sight;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260595095107?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&...5156wt_917

Below is a Copy and past from there eBay page.

Laptop No Video REPAIR:
Video Repair

Symptoms include the following:

Weird colored screen (grey, green, red etc..
Scrambled or pixelated screen
Divided split screen (2 screens up to 12 split screens)
Screen black however backlit
Screen black with no backlight however blue lights come on the quickplay panel
Turns on then shuts off immediatly
Turns on and beeps 3 times (1 long and 2 short)
Turns on, black screen and keeps restarting by itself
White or grey screen sometimes with horizontal lines
Press power button and nothing happens what so ever (seems dead) (mostly on DV2000 models)
Intel models boot to backlight but no screen
Cant load Nvidia driver, can only run in VGA mode
Screen works but no WiFi (does not show up in device manager)
and much more, if you don't see your symptom on this list, email me

This price includes you shipping your entire laptop to us, we do all the work! (you pay for shipping on the way in, free shipping on the way back to you)

If you would like a pre paid printable FedEx shipping label that is already filled out with our address and your return address CLICK HERE use the buy it now in conjunction with this listing and a label will be sent to you within 12 hours. $100 insurance is included in the $17.99 pre paid label price, it is fully traceable and much cheaper and more reliable than the post office.

No need to take anything apart, we do all the work!

*After you purchase the repair service through eBay and pay with paypal we send you an email with all the shipping instructions, address and contact information.

You will receive your laptop back fixed, cleaned, and ready to use out of the box!

Flat Rate Video Repair For All Laptops That Have The Nvidia or ATI Integrated Video Problems.

Flat Rate $69.99 (sale price) Includes Return Shipping!

Comes with a 60 day warranty, Excluding laptops that have had previous repair attempts, in this case we will still repair your laptop however will not offer any Warranty what-so-ever under any circumstance, if your laptop has been opened up to the motherboard previously we will not be able to offer a warranty (does not include HP repairs, we will warranty your laptop if HP was the only company to work on your laptop, our techs are trained to be able to tell the difference), however may be able to work out a discount price if by any chance the problem arises again within 60 days. The Computer Technician assigned to your laptop will mark it Warranty Eligible or Not while the disassembly is performed. Call 585-226-1222 if you have any questions about this policy. We cover shipping one way for Warranty Repairs.

We can fix your laptop and have it back at your doorstep within 1-2 weeks! (if shipped to us same day as payment is made)

Normal turnaround time is 7-14 days from the day you ship it to us. WE CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR SHIPPING BOX BACK, however we will try our best if this is requested.

Actual Repair Turnaround Time Is less than 24hrs (after processed) (laptop may take up to 48hrs to process once package arrives)

Sometimes called the "Black Screen Of Death" the Nvidia Video Card Requires Adequate Cooling Which Was Not Acheived By The Majority Of Computer Companies.

Most Common Models Include The HP DV Series (DV2000, DV6000, DV8000, DV9000, TX1000, TX2000, CQ-50, CQ-60, CQ-61, F500, F700 series)

Many Laptops Built From 2002 - 2008 Have This Issue.

One Quick Way To Make Sure This Is Your Issue Is To Plug Your Laptop Into An External Monitor Via VGA Cable, If The External Screen Does Not Show A Picture As Well Than The Video Card Is Your Issue And Can Be Fixed With This Service, If The External Monitor Shows A Picture This Means Your LCD Needs To Be Changed And This Service Will Not Cover It. (email if for a quote if the latter is the case)

Our service includes full safe dissasembly of the Laptop, A complete Repair Of The Video Card, A reverse blow out of the Fan, replacement Copper shim made specifically for the Nvidia Video Chip to allow proper cooling of Video Card, complete Re-Assembly and basic cleaning of exterior for you.

Turnaround time in our shop is 24 hours (after processing) If you ship your laptop to us same day as payment is made, you will be without your laptop for only 5-7 days. Average shipping Fedex Ground is 2-5 business days depending on location. You can be assured your laptop will be shipped back to you within 72 hours of receipt, most of the time it is shipped back within 48 hours.

If we cannot repair your laptop, a full refund will be made (minus our low price diagnostics fee of $29.99) so there is really not much to lose.

Recovery rate is approx 95% so it is almost a guarantee that we can fix your video issues.

As soon as you use the buy it now, we will send the shipping address. It is your responsibility to pack and ship safely to us, at least 2" of padding on all sides is adequate. Please remove the battery and do not include the power cord. Hard drive is recommended to be included so that we can run our extended stress test with the Video Driver loaded within your operating system.

Tommy:D

PS. They fix all kinds of other stuff like Wii etc.

Bhawna S Apr 06, 2012, 12:41am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Everyone,

I have joined this forum recently while try to find solution for my laptop Sony Vaio VGN-C140G.

This laptop was purchased in USA in 2007 and gifted to me. and I have been using it in India since that time.
From day 1 I am facing issues. The task manger never worked for me. Run commands and system like ipconfig never worked from start.

I used to operate it hardly once or twice a month and now from last two years I am not using it. I tried formatting it and took to store but they said they can't format it. There is some issue.

It takes almost 10 minutes to open any application and by the time application opens, I see that page gets killed itself:(
Again almost 50% of the total keys are not working so it is like a useless device lying in my home.

At the time of purchase I had specifically asked for Sony Vaio as per perception that Sony products are great but advertising and perception has fooled me.

Do u guys have any solution for this?

Thanks,
Bhawna

envewayingemi envewayingemiRH Jun 28, 2013, 09:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> http://www.cheapmontblancpenstuuhan.com/

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.