Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 2506 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s January 25 - 08:45am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

Buying a new processor/MOBO/RAM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
ray Stephens Aug 27, 2003, 07:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Buying a new processor/MOBO/RAM
I know how you feel. Luckily I buy most of my junk from Newegg.com and they are located outside of Los Angeles. I live right next to Sea-Tac and My packages get here extremely fast! But I do check up on it constantly! Crucial-Micron is located in Idaho, so that stuff gets here even faster!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Sean Kendle Aug 28, 2003, 12:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well I've got my RAM. Packaged nicely: not too much, but just enough to protect my valuable goods!! Hard-cardboard box with dividers in it. Looks absolutely pristine, so I have no doubts about its quality.

MOBO/CPU are about 20 miles away, left that station this morning so I'm pretty sure they'll be here within the next few hours (they're probably already at IUP, just stuck somewhere in the bureaucracy.... O_o)!

Anyways, the Ram is double-sided (didn't know if the specs said that or not, so it was a surprise to me.)

Looks.... like RAM! Haha...

I just can't WAIT for this MOBO to get here... hopefully before I drive home to pick up the rest of my girlfriend's things (she couldn't fit her computer... but had enough room in the car for her 6,000 pairs of shoes O_o)

Alright... my new-computer-components high is starting to wear off... I'll get my next fix when the MOBO comes and let you know how it's lookin'/performin'.

PAZ!

Sean

ray Stephens Aug 28, 2003, 03:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
LOL!

I've never seen a stick of 512MB that wasn't double bank. No worries!

Sean Kendle Aug 28, 2003, 11:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, I got it all installed (I think properly... there is way more to this stuff than I ever realized.)

When I boot, it says "Scanning IDE drives" then it flashes "No array is defined"

And then it boots half-way, and restarts. Over and OVER AND OVER.

HELP!!!!!

Sean Kendle Aug 29, 2003, 12:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, I posted on another mb and they said that I should have formatted C:\ and reinstalled Windows XP before I changed my mobo...

Is that true?? If so I think I'm basically SCREWED because I'll have to reinstall my original, then back up my files, then format.

Please respond ASAP... big crisis here!

ray Stephens Aug 29, 2003, 03:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Did you make sure you have everything connected correctly? Especially with the jumpers on the back of the HDDs? What power supply are you using? Have you tried the RAM in every slot?

James Marlin Aug 29, 2003, 07:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It is the better way to go about it. The new MB may use different chipset drivers than the old one. Plus it gives you an chance to clean up some of the clutter that's built up over time.
If you really don't want to do the reformat, re-install, try booting from the XP install CD, and do a repair install. This will change what ever files need to be changed for the new MB, you might need to use Windows Update again though.
The only problem with using the repair option, is that you might still have old driver files, and registry entries left over, afterwards.

IMHO, it's always better to start off clean, that way if you need to trouble shoot a problem with the new setup, it takes Windows (mostly) out of the equation.

Athlon XP M 2500+ (12x200FSB=2.4 ghz, PR 3500+), Soltek SL-75RN2-L, 1gig 3200DDR Ram, ATI X800GTO, NEC MultiSync FE991sb, Creative Audigy OEM, Logitech 5.1 speakers, 40gig HD booting XP, 200gig@50%games, Lite-On DVD burner, LG 52x32x52x
Sean Kendle Aug 29, 2003, 08:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Got a clean install on a friend's comp, but a guy on another mb told me to do it from mine.

Everytime I start, it gives me "Disk Read Error CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart"

I've got an IBM HD set to Master.

Only one of my CD ROMs installed currently (CD RW unplugged) to IDE 2

What's going wrong here!?

And how do I install Windows XP!? I got it to boot from CD, it "copies files to windows installation folders" then reboots. Immediately it either boots from CD (press any key to boot from CD...) or if I wait, it gives me the Drive Read Error again.

So now what? If I boot from CD again, it just does the exact same installation process, and I get nowhere!

HELP!

Arash Golchubian Aug 29, 2003, 10:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Are you using SATA? If you are it could be the reason why it can't read the disk. If the board came with any disk such as ide drivers, or raid drivers, press F6 when you first go into the install program then tell it to install any drivers that you have got that came with your mobo.

if that doesn't work try to use a different ide cable. it is possible that you got a bad board, or that your hard drive is bad. Good Luck.

~Confucius Say
"Man who jump off cliff, jump to conclusion..."
Sean Kendle Aug 30, 2003, 05:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm using an IDE cable, not SATA.

The MOBO came with two disks, one CD and one floppy.

The Floppy says something about "Promise" on it.

My HD is fine, it works when I install it as slave into my friend's comp.

I'm thinking that at least some of the problem lies in my PSU. I think it's only around 200W or so.

The Mobo could be messed up... I wouldn't know what to look for, but it seems physically sound, the package wasn't damaged.

I ordered it from Newegg.com... are they a reputable dealer?

I'll try what you said about F6 later.

Should I just try to boot from the floppy or wait and insert the floppy once I hit F6? When should I hit F6? After the AMD screen?

Thanks!

ray Stephens Aug 30, 2003, 06:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Promise as Raid... if you're not using raid then don't worry about that.

200W is far too low, you will need at least 350W.

Newegg.com is very reputable.

James Marlin Aug 30, 2003, 06:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'd say you need at least a good quality 350 watt PSU, for an Athlon based system, maybe even 400 watt.

As for the "F6" question if you want to use SATA or SATA RAID (which come on your MB), there's a point early in the XP install (you'll see it at the bottom of the screen), where the install tells you to press F6 if you need to install "special" drivers, these would be the ones on the "promise" floppy.

In fact the Promise controller has 2 SATA connections and 1 ATA133, so I'd check your manual, and make sure your using the right IDE connector.

Have you gone into the BIOS and setup everything before the install. I'd strongly suggest this. There you should disable any on-board hardware you won't be using, like audio, modem, SATA, check your memory settings, power saving settings, etc. A badlly setup BIOS can create all sorts of issues both durning the install, and afterwards.

If your BIOS is fine, then I'd say it's most likely the PSU. After replacing it if you still have problems, then I'd say it's a hardware conflict, or a bad MB.

Athlon XP M 2500+ (12x200FSB=2.4 ghz, PR 3500+), Soltek SL-75RN2-L, 1gig 3200DDR Ram, ATI X800GTO, NEC MultiSync FE991sb, Creative Audigy OEM, Logitech 5.1 speakers, 40gig HD booting XP, 200gig@50%games, Lite-On DVD burner, LG 52x32x52x
Sean Kendle Aug 31, 2003, 12:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I really don't know enough about BIOS to see if what is set is any good. There are far too many options and it boggles my mind!

What I really can't understand is that everything boots when i turn on the comp, so it seems to have enough power... And even in BIOS it recognizes the HD!

Should I try to flash the CMOS? I tried using an old copy of XP from my old MOBO when I first installed... could I have somehow messed up the CMOS and need to flash it?

If I DO flash CMOS, could it cause any *bad* things to happen? Or will it be ok?

Sean Kendle Aug 31, 2003, 12:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Another thing: before I used a clean install of Windows XP (I installed with HD as slave in friend's comp... I've been told that was a bad idea O_o) I didn't get the Disk Read Error... the comp started up almost the whole way, but just before the XP screen, I got a quick blue-screen-of-death, and it rebooted.

Just to give a little more info on the prob.

ray Stephens Aug 31, 2003, 07:15pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sean I think you either need to underclock until you can update drivers or you need a better power supply!

James Marlin Aug 31, 2003, 09:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
From the sounds of things, don't mess with the CMOS.
A bad flash could disable your MB. If you really want to flash to a new BIOS version, have a experianced friend show you how the first time.

Most likely the problems come from the size of the PSU your using, in fact I wouldn't keep trying things till you upgrade it. A overloaded PSU can fry something, MB/Memory/Cards, because it'll be sending bad voltages to the hardware.

As for changing the BIOS settings, I have one question for you. Did you read your user manual that came with the MB? It's not really a good idea to start messing with things till you do. In fact IMHO, you should of read it cover to cover, before even taking the MB out of the static bag. If you don't have a manual, I'm sure there's one on the manufactures web site.

Sean Kendle Sep 01, 2003, 09:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah, I read the manual. It has some limited descriptions of the BIOS settings... not enough if you ask me!!!

I didn't mess with any of the BIOS at all, except for the boot order to try and install XP. I haven't been turning on the comp recently, and everything seems to still be ok.

I have an Antec Sonata in the mail so I'll wait till then to try anything more.

I really hope you're right about this power supply situation, though I don't doubt that I need more power! I just hope that's ALL I need to do, because this computer is my livelyhood... no computer=no job=no paycheck=can't pay the credit card bills...

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.