Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 893 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 20 - 09:01am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / General Technology /

XP Random Reboot 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
Gabriel Gravel Nov 24, 2003, 07:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: XP Random Reboot
Yeah but the thing is, my CPU is a 700mHz and it's an old Compaq case so there's no pace for ANY case fan and that's really bothering me... I'll just dust off the comp a little more often. Thanks for the comment anyway.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Gabriel Gravel Nov 24, 2003, 07:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah but the thing is, my CPU is a 700mHz and it's an old Compaq case so there's no pace for ANY case fan and that's really bothering me... I'll just dust off the comp a little more often. Thanks for the comment anyway.

Gabriel Gravel Nov 24, 2003, 07:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

angryhippy Nov 24, 2003, 08:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Usually there are air venting holes on the rear of the case. You could always mount the fan (exhaust) on the outside of the case, or mod the case with an opening on top or the side,

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Lee Falin Nov 25, 2003, 02:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow, I'm glad I came across this thread. I have been going nuts with my PC.

Same situation as most other people here. The HW specs are:

MSI 865PE Neo2
P4 2 Ghz
ATI Radeon 9200 64MB
DVD-R/RW
DVD Rom
CD R/RW
4 USB Devices
Floppy
Western Digital 80 GB HD
Antec 350 watt PSU

At first it only happened everyonce and a while. I first thought it was the video card, since it seemed to happen during intense game play or when maximizing a window.

So I replaced the ATI 7000 with the 9200 that is there now. Still no good.

Then I did the memtest86, everything checked out.

Then I started disabling hardware devices in windows, no avail.

Next I tried reinstalling XP (XP Pro btw) and it just kept giving me stop errors.

I tried flashing the BIOS to the latest version from MSI. No good.

I tried to reinstall again, then the setup reported hard drive failures and couldn't continue.

I thought, maybe a bad hard drive, so I borrowed a 40 GB seagate from a friend, reinstalled XP, it was working for a while (an hour or so), but now crashes continuiosly, (random stop errors)

I borrowed a P4 motherboard from our IT dept and that was going to be my next try when I came across this posting. I tried the power supply calculator mentioned earlier and came up with 370 for my configuration. I'm going to try a new power supply and will post my results. I fear that this problematic PSU may have cost me a hard drive and possibly some ram (Im retesting it using MS).

I'll keep you all informed.

Gabriel Gravel Nov 25, 2003, 07:30am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 25, 2003, 07:33am EST

Actually, I got a fan on the case, it's placed in a PCI slot right under my video card, which I tought was the problem at first, but there is no place at all for ANY fans on the case.

BTW, sorry for the triple post

Lee: You may want to check if the airflow in your case is good enough because in mine, with no fans while playng GTA3 it was really hot like 42 degrees celcius...

jonathan crook Nov 25, 2003, 08:32am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 25, 2003, 08:35am EST

i to have the same problem; it happens when playing games like Earth Empire, halo or C&C generals. my friend has informed me that its my Video Card heating up.

i currently have:

Processor: AMD Duron(tm) processor 1.2 GHz
Math Support: Present
BIOS: Nvidia - 42302e31 Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG, 06/10/02
Bus Type: PCI, ISA, USB
Ports: 1 Parallel, 2 Serial
Memory: 1024 MB (23% Utilized)
Floppy Disks: 1.44 MB
Hard Disks: 18.65 GB, 76.33 GB
Multimedia: Sound, CD-ROM
Video: 1024 x 768 in 32-Bit Color, HIGHTECH EXCALIBUR RADEON 9000 Ver. 6.14

Iíve updated the drivers for the video card, run windows in 'best performance' , Iíve closed everything apart from the needed processes, Iíve send error reports and fully updated windows but still its reboots. When it does I notice I have a black screen but the computer is still running and can be accessed. The option for the video card to fix (VPU recover) this has been turned on but it still happens. I run most games in 800 x 600, and I found that Halo worked and didnít reset my computer when I turned all the graphics to teh lowest settings. Thus I conclude itís my graphics card although Iím gassing its more than that it also seems to be most people with windows XP home or Pro. I am so wondering if a virus scanner has anything to do with it.

Carl XXXXXXXXX Nov 25, 2003, 09:22am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jonathon,

I'm wondering why you haven't done a memory test, or in the list of your computer you didn't mention the size of the PSU, or your # of case/other fans in your case. If you think it's your video card heating up, I'd give you the same advice - look into getting another case fan. And test the memory - it takes only a couple of minutes to create a bootable floppy from the M$ Online Crash Analysis or memtest86.com, and a few more minutes to run the program once. You could still have a memory problem that's occuring only when you are in graphics-intensive (i.e. memory-usage intensive) games. And have you compared your system's PSU to the wattage calculator I gave a link to a few messages ago? If I were you, I'd look at all three of these things, regardless of whether they seem to be giving you problems currently.

Ray Clark Nov 25, 2003, 03:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just as an update, we are still trying to verify all memory to be good in the room. Using M$ (mtinst.exe) errors sometimes _only_ show up after an all night run, 22 passes under extended test mode (Stride 6 usually). So we are still experiencing bsod type random reboots. Demonstrating Intel's Active monitor to the MIS manager on his computer we had just observed the power usage screen to be rock solid on his terminal, clicked minimize and the system did the infamous reboot. Also found a bios upgrade at intel (Intel MB and P4 300 G w/1 G ram /nvidia Quadro FX 500 to those who need to know) that now has my system crashing again. So I must keep this short so I can post before I crash. Hope others are having better luck!

Ray

Kevin Miller Nov 25, 2003, 04:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the smae/similar problem happening as well, although I don't believe its necessarily the same root cause.

System Specs:
ASUS P4T533-R MotherBoard
P4-2.4GhZ CPU 800MhZ FSB
512MB PC1066 RAM (32Bit)
80GB ATA133 HDD (Maxtor) 8MB Cache
SB Audigy 2 Platinum
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Enermax 450w Power Supply (Twin Fan)

As far as I can tell, system is running slightly warm but not actually hot (30C system, 38-39C CPU)

The PC is essentially on 24/7. Generally speaking I have no problems at all. Main applications (Office, etc) all normal, no issues.

Now, SOMETIMES when I fire up a game (MOHAA, RTCW, TOEE to name a few, but even some crappy yahoo-games type downloads) my computer will start them, and then spontaniously reboot 10-15 seconds in. If it doesn't bounce in those first 15 seconds, all will be fine, run the game with no problems, etc and the puter just goes about its merry business. Sometimes I'm getting these reboots 4-5 times, sometimes never.

For the record, I've turned off the Windows XP craptastic "Automatically reboot" option and yet it still automatically reboots in these cases. Gah.

Kevin

angryhippy Nov 25, 2003, 04:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The other day I was playing "Need For Speed Hot Pursuit" and my personal confuser crashed. The screen went this wierd mint green color but the game was still running (At least the audio). I hit Ctrl/Alt/Delete and pulled up the task manager and the CPU was running at 100%. I went to the processes tab to see what the heck was going on and the Adobe Reader 6.0 was hogging half my resources even though I had already exited the program before starting the game. I ended the process and the game ran fine. You people that are having these strange crashes should check to see if you have any processes hoging your resources, especially if the problem is new. Just a thought I wanted to pass on.

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Carl Grenier Dec 03, 2003, 06:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I had similar problems with my pc.
HW is :
Asus A7N8X2.0 Mobo (latest bios)
Amd Athlon Xp 2800+ (regular speed, 2080MHz)
512mb Kingston RAM
MSI NVidia Geforce fx5600 256mb
Turbolink 420W power supply

I get those stupid random reboots. I disabled windows' option to automatically reboot on errors,
I got a Volcano TT cpu Fan running at 5000rpm, I got a chassis Fan, and I took off
my tower's two panels so that ventilation is better, and my Pc Probe software reads 34Celsius/93F
Cpu temperature, and right now I'm only righting this reply... I know that Amd processors has some
heating problems, and I can figure out that my processor must heat badly when playing games like
NFS Underground, but my random reboots happens even when I'm not running any programs...

Anyone has a clue about this?

Gabriel Gravel Dec 03, 2003, 07:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think I have an idea: does your computer reboot about every 15 minutes? is yes, the its the blaster worm that auto-installes on XP and 2000 systems that don't have the patch for it. Try updating your virus configs and running a virus scan on your computer.

Jonathan Contant Dec 03, 2003, 08:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
have u ever overclocked your cpu? it may be system unstability. if so turn it down or buy a new cpu cooling unit

Carl XXXXXXXXX Dec 03, 2003, 08:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Download a memory tester program and check your memory. Easy tester programs are memtest86.com and one at M$ Online Crash Analysis. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to download the program, create a bootable floppy disk or CD, then run the program in quick mode once. That was what my problem was.

Carl Grenier Dec 03, 2003, 08:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
First of all, I already triple checked for that virus, first with my up to date anti-virus, second with
Symantec online test and lastly with Symantec Blaster worm removal tool, and not any of these tests
found a virus.

Second, No I have never overclocked my cpu, it has always be running at regular speed, 2.08GHz which
is the normal speed for the Amd athlon xp 2800+

But for the memory test, I'll try that out right now, and I'll give you some news about it.

BTW, I checked the event viewer after each recent random reboot, and I saw many software errors all
related to True Vector Engine, which is what my Zone alarm firewall uses...
The error logs all look like this:

TrueVector engine: File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB" was corrupt and has been copied to "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\xDB16.tmp". File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB" was corrupt and has been deleted.

Maybe this has something to do with my random reboot problems, but I'll run the memory test, and
I'll give you news.

Thanks for helping!

Carl XXXXXXXXX Dec 03, 2003, 08:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Maybe your reboots have something to do with that. My random reboots which were related to bad memory literally gave me a different reason for each reboot on the BSOD. Everytime I thought I had seen each reason a new one popped up. Good luck with it.

Carl XXXXXXXXX Dec 03, 2003, 10:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Carl,
On your reboots, after re-reading your message, it might still be the memory. You're error on the True Vector could just be a general error that happens after every startup (including reboot) and is not really causing a problem. I remember when I first researched the reboots, I would look at the event viewer and see a problem with LPT3 - I first thoughts the reboots were related to my second printer port card, but it was just a general startup error that really had no true effect on the reboot issue. Turn off the "automatically reboot" feature so you see the BSOD (blue screen of death). Go to Startup and Shutdown/System Properties/Advanced/Starup and Recovery/Settings/System Failure and uncheck the "Automatically restart" box. This will give you a blue screen that will give you general info after the computer failure, instead of the computer just rebooting. I would start writing down the info. If the problems are various, I would almost ceratinly look to hardware problems, i.e. overheating, bad PSU and bad memory. Hope this helps. I learned all this the hard way...

Carl Grenier Dec 04, 2003, 10:28am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi again,

So I let memtest86 run all night, running a total of 51 tests, and no error. So from this result,
I may assume that my problems are not memory related.

I already disabled two days ago the "automatically reboot" option in windows Xp, and when it does reboot,
I don't have any blue screen that could give me some clue on the causes of the reboot, It just reboots
and when I get back to windows, I always check the Event viewer, and there are always a couple of new errors, all related to True Vector Engine and the time of the errors are always the time of the reboot.

And now I just rebooted, after a night running memtest86, and this be a "wanted" reboot, and not a
random one, I also checked the event viewer and no error is added. So it seems that True Vector Engine
has really something to do with my random reboots..

That being said, I have some other problems with my pc that let me think that I also have a hardware
related problem. For example, sometimes, after being down for a night or more, I try and boot my
computer, but when I press the power button, Nothing happens! Like if my computer was not plugged...
And when I get this problem, the only thing that seems to get my computer to have power, is a slap
on the tower... and that's so far from normality! But any retries on the power button are resulting with
nothing! And lastly, sometimes when it does have power and begin to boot, it often freezes in the bios,
at the state where it tries to detect IDE drives...

So thats about it for my many problems! If you have any ideas on the causes of these problems,
they're welcome!

Btw, thanks for the hints Carl P. !

prouddog Dec 12, 2003, 07:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've had the same problems with no real relief.

I've replace the video card
I've checked the ram all night
I've put hardware acceleration to "none" (that seemed to provide some relief but did not end the problem.)
I've replaced the power supply. (the new one is a 400W job)

I haven't reformatted and reloaded win xp -- nor have I replaced the mobo. (gigabyte 7vrxp) but i did flash the bios. If a reformat doesn't work I'm thinking either a virus (though I have done a thorough viruscan as well as an online trojan scan) or a bad motherboard (no diagnostics I have done indicate that though)

It does appear that all who are complaining are using athlon processors.

I have an xp 2000+
Gigabyte 7vrxp mobo
512 k pc2100 ram (2 256k sticks -- I've tried running with each out -- no change)
Nvidia geoforce 5200 vid (128mb)

Could there be an athlon problem?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.