Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1056 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s January 22 - 06:34am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Disk Read Error 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
Adrian Allen Apr 07, 2004, 11:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Disk Read Error
You didn't give much information about your hardware.

Try just swapping the disk to another computer to restart the install and see how it behaves then. I have come to believe that this is an issue related to BIOS corruption or possibly just a flaky chip of some kind on the motherboard - as soon as I went to a new motherboard (NForce2 chipset this time, I learned my lesson about VIA) both my WD400BB's behaved perfectly. Because of the way the board failed, I think that if I HAD managed to get it working again, I'd probably have encountered the same problem again in a few months.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
BigMr C Apr 07, 2004, 11:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks, I'll try putting it in another pc and see what happens.

Thomas Bowker Apr 25, 2004, 02:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 25, 2004, 02:31am EDT

Hey guys,

You all seem like a helpful bunch of people so I decided this would be the place to ask my question.

I'm running Windows XP.
The hard drives are:
Infected one (Disc read error): Maxtor 20GB
Stable one: Seagate 80GB

I have also been encountered by Mr. Disc Read Error and am currently formatting my infected HD.
I have two HD's and all my files are on the non-infected one (Drive D). The one containing the error is drive C.
It started like this. At first I couldn't get into my system at all. I was confronted by that windows boot screen each time I turned on the computer. I tried re-installing windows on C drive only to find I couldn't format the drive under NTSC or FAT32. The loading metre simply wouldn't move! So I dumped windows onto my games drive (Seagate 80GB) and I am left with nothing on my C drive. Through fits of anger I decided to resurect my C drive because I just needed the space.

I am formatting Drive C as I write this and it seems to be stuck at 16%!! Exuse my french but this is totally p**sing me off!

A few questions: What is CMOS and what does it do. And how do I get into it?

Any help would be great! Thanks.
ScareCrow.

EDIT: Nevermind. It seems to be moving now (24% and counting) I'll keep you updated.

EDIT: Ok. I just finsished that process and I get this:

"Setup was unable to format partition. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disc is a SCSI disc, make sure you SCSI devise are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.

You must select a different partition for Windows XP.
To continue, press ENTER. "

This is ridiculous! >: (

Eric Schmidt Apr 25, 2004, 03:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It seems like your Maxtor 20GB drive is defective. Does your BIOS recognize this drive? Try using FDISK and repartition the drive or go to Maxtor's site and download their HDD diagnostics.

Thomas Bowker Apr 25, 2004, 06:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes, my BIOS recognizes the drive. I tried turning C drice off so I could just access my D drive which has windows installed on it but it still kicks me to the restart screen.

What is FDISK? Is it a windows utilitie?

Just to clear some things up: I am not at all a computer expert. I don't know anything about repairing systems or anything of that sort. So please explain some of the more advanced terms that you use. Thankyou. Also, the objective I wish to achieve is removing windows from drive D and installing a fresh copy on drive C.

Whenever I try formatting a partition it completes with an error message stating my HD is defective. (The error message I quoted above)

Also: This all happened after running chkdsk. The first time I was able to get into windows and it was extremely slow. (Like using my sensor 286!) So I restarted the computer hoping it would regain its preformance and that's when I got the error.

Please help me guys! I have a LAN party to attend to tommorow and I need my system in working order!

ScareCrow

kojak ford May 10, 2004, 02:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
gday all,

where too start hehe, well i got a p2 233 maxtor 3 gig hdd.

I formated and install win xp on the hdd on my 2nd machine works perfectly. I goto replace the hdd i just installed back into its original machine an the the disk read error comes up.

Prior too this i have had such errors in no particular order as follows;

: windows requires largest executable program size to be atleats 442368 bytes to run.
: device driver not found 'mscd001" no cdrom.
:windows has detected that drive c does not contain a valid fat or fat32 partition.

Although the hdd is now working on this comp i need that hdd in the other comp which i serious think that the bios for that comp is screwed. will takening the battery reset the bios/cmos.

Would be nice for a complete list with lameness terms for myself an others with instructions hehe on this matter instead of every man an his dog posting his situation.

Sean Kendle Jul 23, 2004, 11:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> This thread is still going strong!
Wow, I would never have thunk that my thread would still be alive today.... it's been SO LONG! I posted the original message Aug 30, 2003!!

That's almost a YEAR FOLKS!

I'm telling you, that's impressive for one of my forum posts, I never usually get much reaction.

Anyways, glad to see everyone helping each other... good luck with your problems! I'll sacrifice a goat to appease the computer gods for you all.

Sean - The OG POSTA!

AreXus Aug 09, 2004, 06:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well I'm going to ressurect this thread cause I have the same problem.

I get Disk read error when I boot up on my WD 80gb HD. I had just installed Windows XP Pro.

I'm going to try fixmbr but if that doesn't work, should I clear CMOS? Or just set to defaults?

I've been using another hard drive and am using it right now. So theres no problem with the rest of my hardware.

I don't know what my next step should be. This error makes me scratch my head..

Also, I got this HD OEM online, but I still have the 3 year warranty right? Cause if so, I may just send it back and get a new one if I can't solve the problem soon.

Will Bissett Oct 06, 2004, 01:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'd heard this might be caused by NTFS being more 'sensitive' to hard disk errors than FAT32, but like many other I suffered the dreaded 'disk read error' too and lots of diagnostics show no problem with the disk.

For those of you wondering, this problem has not been resolved by XP SP2. From all accounts it seems best to install Windows XP on a FAT32 partition or disk (others suggest that FAT32 to NTFS upgrade is also stable - I don't know).

Some 15 months ago I upgraded a Win98SE system to XP SP1 on a FAT32 system and had no problems - was actually delighted at the stability compared to 98SE. Reinstalled (integrated XP Pro SP2) onto a new faster 160GB drive, clean formatted for NTFS, a month ago. Noticed that the previous FAT32 upgrade was actually more stable and had less problems - no show-stoppers but occasional problems that I hadn't expected given the good press that MS give NTFS. Got the 'disk read error' message yesterday, completely unexpectedly - no new programmes had been installed. PC worked fine one night, didn't the next morning. Like many people here I had some 120Gb of data loaded and although most was backed up I didn't want to lose what wasn't backed up or have to go through the nausea of reloading it all. I tried everything I could think of:

Checked cables for tears etc
Moved cables around/re-set jumpers
Tried different cables
Checked BIOS
Boot to Windows CD
Ran recovery, tried fixmbr, fixboot,
Tried recovery, repair windows

All to no avail. Found another PC that worked (!) - went round the forums and found that this wasn't uncommon with NTFS, and tried the additional tips (thanks to all of you for advice) given here including:

chkdsk /r - (reportedly found an error and repaired)
fixmbr (again)
fixboot
....but still didn't work

In the end, I recabled my old 20Gb, formatted it for trusty FAT32 and reloaded Windows onto that. Got the system up and running and could see the disk that wouldn't boot. Ran Seagate Diskwizard disk checking tools for every level - came back clean every time (even on the thorough check that took over an hour). Ran other utilities to check disk - all came back clean. Data seemed fine, checked system files/ config files etc - all fine. Tried re-booting to this disk again.. still no luck. So simply transferred those files that weren't backed-up (see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech for information on how to take ownership of protected NTFS files), and wiped the system files from the 160GB NTFS disk. Now using it as a slave. Whole experience was a pain in the neck, but relatively few hours wasted - only 6 on this occasion! One day I may get around to doing a FAT32 partition on the faster 160GB disk and reinstalling windows - but right now I can't be bothered wasting any more time. My experience is consistent with those who say it is an XP/NTFS issue - and guys, I'm afraid it hasn't been resolved by SP2. By all accounts it seems best to stick with FAT32 for the windows installation. If you don't then make sure you've got a spare disk ready for the day it falls over.

Predator Oct 07, 2004, 09:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Format HDD

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
DFI LanParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D

New Forum: http://www.cyberitforums.com
Predator Oct 08, 2004, 04:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Oh yes one more thing. Try repairing your installation. And check if your HDD is too hot or if it burned out.

leon anderson Oct 08, 2004, 04:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I would love to know from someone if they have successfully swithced a faulty drives motherboard with another of the same make to keep data from the heads intact for further recovery?

Predator Oct 09, 2004, 08:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Shawn, did you reformatt your HDD? Be sure to back up ALL Data b4 continuing with the process.

Yahya Arrassi Nov 15, 2004, 02:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Get a mac

Nick Rigali Nov 15, 2004, 05:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 15, 2004, 05:38pm EST

Hi,
I had a very similar problem, but I think i got it under control. I want to post this so that it may help someone with the same problem in the future.
I started with a hand me down system from my brother for christmas. This comp had been having problems before he gave it to me, so we replaced everything except the motherboard, cpu, and ram.
It was an HP intel pentium 4 1.5 ghz with 512 gb of memory, and we purchased a new case and everything compatible with it including a 20gb maxtor hard drive. This computer worked for about a month, then it started having the same problems it had had with its previous owner, my brother who works for CompUSA, and is a computer guy. What happened was the motherboard and cpu were not seated correctly and it would just freeze up every 2 minutes or so, and I would have to hit it to jar the parts into place, and then it would run for a few minutes only to freeze up again. Eventually, it just up and died. So about six months later, I bought a new motherboard (completely compatible) an intel D845hv and tried this, not knowing if this would do it or if i would need a new cpu as well. Also, I found out that 256 mbs of my memory wasfried so temporarily, I only have 256. This may also have caused problems so I pulled it out. So we tried it and the same problem occurred. So a month later, when I had the money, I bought a new processor. This is a 1.6ghz intel pentium 4 processor and tried this with the new motherboard, and it turned on only to give me the read disk error occurred message. My brother and a friend and football coach of mine told me that it was because my operating system, Windows XP Pro, does not recognize new motherboards, so I would need to set up the BIOS and reinstall XP Pro. I did this, but once i deleted the existing Windows files, and replacing them it would reboot and say that it would continue after rebooting. Sad to say though after i rebooted, it took me right back to boot form CD or read disk error occurred. So basically, I was right back at square one, the beginning of XP reinstallation all over again. So, I ended up formatting my hard drive, which was no big deal seeing as i used it only for about two months prior to its death and it had little data on it. Once i reformatted, i went to reinstall XP Pro, and it did the same thing, but this time when it restarted, it actually continued installation and went to the setup where you enter your Product Key.
So, I found that reformatting worked all my problems out, but if you cannot do this due to data that you cannot lose, then I'm not exactly sure what you should do. Try the other suggestions above.

Just thought this might be helpfula dn of some use.
Thanks,
Nick

Pete Grammatas Apr 02, 2005, 04:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i got this problem but i only got it once last week and never saw it again should i be worried like you guys too?

ardy Maulan Feb 11, 2006, 03:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> A Disk Read Error
Hi -

I'm going crazy here trying to find some help with my problem, and this looks very similar to it. Heres my story -------- >>

got a new system, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to get it to work right.

Everything is mounted fine. Memory is in, power supply is in, drives installed. I turn it on - get a picture, scans memory, etc. I went into BIOS and set boot drive to CD-Rom. Threw in the Seagate max-blast software and it recognized my 40gb hard drive. Format went smoothly, I restarted with the Windows Xp disc in the drive. Says "Windows XP is analyzing your system" And then BAM it's a blank screen.

Well I figure something was wrong, so I switched boot priority to the floppy drive.

And thats where the trouble begins.

It starts loading, and says "A Disk Read Error - press Ctrl-alt-delete to reboot" Won't read the boot disk at all.

I switch to 1st drive read as the HDD. Same error message. The only drive it seems to read from is the CD drive, yet it identifies the hard drive when I go to format it.

I have both drives set up as different IDE drives, both masters. The light on the floppy goes on, it looks like it's TRYING to read the drive...

Any help/ideas? Thanks for All help

ardy Maulan Feb 11, 2006, 03:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> A Disk Read Error
Hi -

I'm going crazy here trying to find some help with my problem, and this looks very similar to it. Heres my story -------- >>

got a new system, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to get it to work right.

Everything is mounted fine. Memory is in, power supply is in, drives installed. I turn it on - get a picture, scans memory, etc. I went into BIOS and set boot drive to CD-Rom. Threw in the Seagate max-blast software and it recognized my 40gb hard drive. Format went smoothly, I restarted with the Windows Xp disc in the drive. Says "Windows XP is analyzing your system" And then BAM it's a blank screen.

Well I figure something was wrong, so I switched boot priority to the floppy drive.

And thats where the trouble begins.

It starts loading, and says "A Disk Read Error - press Ctrl-alt-delete to reboot" Won't read the boot disk at all.

I switch to 1st drive read as the HDD. Same error message. The only drive it seems to read from is the CD drive, yet it identifies the hard drive when I go to format it.

I have both drives set up as different IDE drives, both masters. The light on the floppy goes on, it looks like it's TRYING to read the drive...

Any help/ideas? Thanks for All help

leslie Allard Feb 22, 2006, 01:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I dont know if this helps but i have been having the disk cant be read error too. this is my 3rd install tht has gone bad. my first one was the working drive with all my stuff. Im running xp pro with sp2 on a 80 gig maxtor no signs of trouble just work up turned it on and wouldnt boot after trying everything discussed here, from cmos jumpers to reformatting I had a second drive up and running then got the read disk error press CAD yadda yadda, well long story short. i also ws cleaning out a bunch of parasites from a ladys computer and was using a bunch of floppies trying. My husband put the problem harddrive into an old desktop with a trend anti virus built into it and it came up read and said there was a virus on the boot sector. we checked our boot disks and some had a boot sector virus on them. I had scanned these floppies on my A drive a day or 2 before it crashed. so now I have done so many things to this machine and used so many drives, disks, (cd and floppy) i dont know if I have infected the boot sector. but after I removed the patition in the 2nd hard drive i got the cd rom to boot with xp and reinstalled it . it worked for several hours then crashed again tonight and i am geting the disk read error!!! I dont know if this boot sector virus is detected by a regular scan from an antivirus program . Does anyone know how to detect these boot sector viruses. ( Well I guess I could hook my hard drive up to the old machine with the biosd virus detection,. but I dont know how to get rid of it if a virus is the cause. Aughhhh p4 system 2.8 gig 1012 memory (tested that too) I have the 60 gig (new os) in the machine and it just was able to boot. I caan see the stuff in the old drive when I attach it but if i try to open my documents it says access denied. and I cant drag and drop them into the C:| folders. any ideas.?????

leon anderson Feb 22, 2006, 09:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think that last part about not being able to read those folders....(user folders?) might be because of the inherent protection built into the file system by windows, when they ask you to make your user folder private if you say yes and you have ntfs formatted partitions with windows 2000,xp etc...it will not allow you to go into those folders unless you bypass the security by taking over those folders and you need to be admin to do that....

just a thought

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.