Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 755 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 22 - 06:13am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

WHAT's SM Bus Controller and what do you eat it with? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Roger Ramjet Sep 30, 2003, 02:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: WHAT's SM Bus Controller and what do you eat it with?
I've encountered the same problem with the Sm Bus Controller. I solved it by installing an Inf Update that came with my mobo disk but now when i go to shut down it just restarts. lol... Does anyone know how to fix this problem. Any ideas would be much appreciated

:)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
alex a Sep 30, 2003, 11:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Do you have Easy Creator 5 installed?

kiter gert Oct 04, 2003, 07:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
SM BUS DRIVER HAVE TO BE ON YOUR MOTHER BOARD INSTALLATION CD. IF YOU SEARCH ON THIS DISC YOU CAN FIND IT VERY EASY

Sander Sassen Oct 08, 2003, 10:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
SM bus is best prepared with onions, some salt and pepper, served on a heated plate with a cinnamon and lattice salad, and a light fruity wine to go with it. I can send you the recipe if you like?

Sander Sassen
Editor in Chief - Hardware Analysis
ssassen@hardwareanalysis.com
Thomas Houseman Oct 08, 2003, 10:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
well I am glad I am not the only one with this problem.
I just purchased a brand new MSI board and installed XP PRO and have the exact same problem. I figured out that since XP did not install the drivers that it must be vendor specific.

However. the CD that came with the motherboard has a lot of directories on it and I just dont know what file I am supposed to be looking for .. Usually its easy if you know you are lookingfor a video or sound card or LAN controller etc, but there is nothing on the disk that lloks anything like SM Bus Controller. so what to pick ????

Does anyone know what the filename is supposed to be ? I have sent an email to MSI, but dont know how long they will take to reply. There does not see mto be much about this on the Microsoft site, or it must be buried deep in there somewhere.

Just had a thought though, .. this seems to be an issue with new motherboards so I might see if Dell or similar have anything that might identify the type of driver or *.inf file needed.

Has ,anyone worked this out yet ??? ...

Thomas Houseman Oct 08, 2003, 12:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

o.k., it is not all that hard after all ??

seems that when I installed my PC, I did not take the time to use the install CD that came with the motherboard .... I assumed XP would handle most of the drivers.

Went back and looked at the drivers cd and spent time reading the install process. Note,

1.you can install maufactueres drivers before you install the o/s (not always easy)
2. you can install the drivers after the install of the o/s ( operating system)

They often seem to have a convoluted (twisted and difficult) way of installing drivers post o/s install, and I have found these often dont make sense, and in fact are sometimes impossilbe to carry out ( they might tell you to copy drivers off the CD to a certain location, (so you can point to the *.inf file location later on) and yet those drivers or directories they are supposed to be in, just do not exist !!!)

Usually there is a install routine on the CD that comes with the board, and in my case, even though I had already installed XP PRO, and the service pack, SP1, and a lot else as well, I found that running the install or update routine that comes with the CD that comes with the mother board , did the trick.

Im my case, where the motherboard was a MSI unit, the program on the CD after it booted was called "Intel inf update" and running that seemed to do the trick ....

Yes, probably all pretty obvious but not all of us build PCs from scratch etc etc. Anyway, I dont normally go on these chat boards, but thansk to the guys before who sort of got me thinking and helped me to rule out other options ..

I think we all were correct . I think that it might be possible that if the BIOS on these new boards is setup a certain way, and that you dont use the manufactures CD setup routine, that you might get XP expecting a driver for some device that either does not exist, or is not configured probably .. I dont know, I am not an expert.

I hope my ranting and raving helps the next person who has this problem with a new motherboard and XP !!!! ...

So, I guess, as someone else said before, and as I expected, the drivers are on the supplied CD (with the motherboard), but its best to install the drivers as per the CD supplied install routine ??? ..

This workled for me, and now I do not have the SM bus problem

Clarence Youngblood Oct 13, 2003, 11:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
SM Bus stands for

S-ystems M-anagement B-us (Systems Management Bus)

If you have a pc that is utilizing a motherboard with the Intel Chipset(s):

IntelŪ 810 Chipset
IntelŪ 810E Chipset
IntelŪ 810E2 Chipset
IntelŪ 815 Chipset
IntelŪ 815E Chipset
IntelŪ 815EM Chipset
IntelŪ 815EP Chipset
IntelŪ 815P Chipset
IntelŪ 815G Chipset
IntelŪ 815EG Chipset
IntelŪ 820 Chipset
IntelŪ 820E Chipset
IntelŪ 830M Chipset
IntelŪ 830MG Chipset
IntelŪ 830MP Chipset
IntelŪ 840 Chipset
IntelŪ 845 Chipset
IntelŪ 845E Chipset
IntelŪ 845G Chipset
IntelŪ 845GE Chipset
IntelŪ 845GL Chipset
IntelŪ 845GV Chipset
IntelŪ 845MZ Chipset
IntelŪ 845PE Chipset
IntelŪ 848P Chipset
IntelŪ 850 Chipset
IntelŪ 850E Chipset
IntelŪ 860 Chipset
IntelŪ 852GM Chipset
IntelŪ 852GME Chipset
IntelŪ 852PM Chipset
IntelŪ 855GM Chipset
IntelŪ 855GME Chipset
IntelŪ 855PM Chipset
IntelŪ 865G Chipset
IntelŪ 865PE Chipset
IntelŪ 865P Chipset
IntelŪ 865GV Chipset
IntelŪ 875P Chipset
IntelŪ E7205 Chipset
IntelŪ E7500 Chipset
IntelŪ E7501 Chipset
IntelŪ E7505 Chipset
Supported Operating Systems

And any of these Microsoft Operating Systems:

Microsoft Windows* 98SE
Microsoft Windows* Me
Microsoft Windows* 2000
Microsoft Windows* XP
Microsoft Windows Server* 2003

and you are experiencing the Device Manager reported error:

?SM Bus Controller

Then go to the website below and download the file called:

INF Update Utility [INFINST.EXE]

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?...me=Windows*+XP+Professional&submit=Go%21

Before you install it do the following:

SET A RESTORE POINT in XP/2000/ME or backup your system JUST IN CASE!!!!! better safe than sorry.

Problem should be solved after restart.

Hope this helps.

Clarence
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator

Marc Neel Oct 14, 2003, 04:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
found this thread from google. Have the same problem with a ECS K7S5A with SIS 735.

Clarence Youngblood Oct 14, 2003, 05:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
not sure about different chipsets other than intel....

however you should try installing some of the updates at

http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/drivers_k7s.html

this might help///

Arthur Wilson Oct 16, 2003, 10:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the same problem and solved it by installing the Intel Inf.utility in safe mode - that way it installs correctly,even after everything else is installed and also clears the sm bus controller from 'other devices' in device manager on rebooting,i.e. installs the drivers.Hope this helps.

Richard Hamel Oct 21, 2003, 08:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
And so another one comes. When doing a Google search to try and tackle the problem I'm having, I came across this forum and noticed that you folks seem to have some experience in dealing with this. I hope that you'll be able to help me out, as well, though my circumstances are a bit different than some of the others I've seen here so far. For starters, let me say that my system was given to me by a friend of mine, who had gotten it from a friend of his and had no real need for it. This friend did not have any documentation or discs for any part of this computer, and the local business that had put the machine together for him has long since gone out of business. As such, I have very little idea what this Frankenstein's Monster has going for it, which makes it a little hard to find the chipset drivers you guys had mentioned before. It would probably be easier if I had more computer knowledge under my belt, but... in due time. For now, I'll post what little information I have, as well as my problem, and hope you more learned folks can offer some advice.

Up until last night, the computer was aces. Everything in it worked as fine as I could hope for, including the SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (can you tell where the problem is going to take place?). When I returned home this afternoon and booted the ol' 'puter up, I noticed that the modem->PC light on my cable modem went out when the WinXP Pro logo came up and it began loading whatever it is that it loads before showing the desktop. It came on a few moments later, then went out again, before finally coming back on once the system was ready to go. However, every ten or fifteen seconds, the light would blink off again and the computer would completely stop responding during this time. No mouse cursor movement, no keystrokes registered, nothing. The light would return several moments later, bringing system responsiveness with it, but it would repeat this strange behavior every ten or fifteen seconds thereafter. The connection does not respond at all, even while the light is lit, and the system halting ceases to be an issue if I disconnect the ethernet cable from the adapter in the back of the computer. While it's nice to be rid of that one problem, it does nothing to help me in getting my broadband back in action. I've tried uninstalling the adapter and then giving it a fresh install of the drivers when it is detected again with a reboot, but this did nothing. Also, when I go into the device manager, nothing -looks- out of place, but if I tell it to scan for hardware changes, I get the ol' ?SM Bus Controller listing. I don't know why this isn't detected when Windows starts up, but I'm guessing this has something to do with my problem, though I don't know why it would suddenly occur like that. I hadn't downloaded anything or made any system changes whatsoever last night that might account for this. Anywho... some system specs, taken from SciSoft's SANDRA, which is about the only way I have of figuring out what's under the hood here. I apologize in advance for the spam, but I really don't know what information is needed and what is just excess flood. Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
SiSoftware Sandra

System
Manufacturer : ECS
Model : P4S5MG/GL+
Version : 1.0
Serial Number : 00000000
ID : 00000000-00000000-00000000-00000000

System Chassis
Type : Desktop
Can be locked : No
Asset Tag : 0123ABC

Mainboard
MP Support : No
Model : P4S5MG/GL+
System BIOS : 62-1030-001131-00101111-040201-SiS65X

Memory Controller
Error Detection Method : ECC
Error Correction Capability : 1-bit
Supported/Current Memory Interleave : 1-way / 1-way
Number of Memory Slots : 4
Maximum Installable Memory : 512MB
Maximum Module Size : 128MB
Supported STD/FPM/(B)EDO Speeds : 70ns, 60ns
Supported Memory Types : STD, FPM, EDO, Parity, ECC, SIMM
Supported Memory Voltages : +3.3V

Physical/BIOS Memory Banks
ROW-0 (RASL-0 RASL-11) : 512MB DIMM SDRAM single-bank
ROW-1 (RASL-0 RASL-11) : 512MB DIMM SDRAM single-bank
ROW-2 (RASL-0 RASL-0) : 512MB DIMM SDRAM single-bank
ROW-3 (RASL-0 RASL-0) : 512MB DIMM SDRAM single-bank

Chipset 1
Model : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS650 CPU to PCI Bridge
Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB i2c/SMBus
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 133MHz (532MHz data rate)
Maximum FSB Speed / Max Memory Speed : 4x 133MHz / 1x 166MHz
Width : 64-bit
IO Queue Depth : 8 request(s)
Priority Master Queue Depth : 7 request(s)

Chipset 1 Hub Interface
Type : MUTOL
Width : 16-bit
Full Duplex : No
Multiplier : 1/1x

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks
Bank 0 : 256MB SDRAM 3-3-3CL
Bank 1 : 256MB SDRAM 3-3-3CL
Width : 64-bit
Refresh Rate : 7.80ĩs
Power Save Mode : No
Fixed Hole Present : No

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module 1 : Wintec 2d2 256MB 8x(32Mx8) SDRAM PC133U-333-542 (CL3 up to 133MHz)
Memory Module 2 : Wintec 2d2 256MB 8x(32Mx8) SDRAM PC133U-333-542 (CL3 up to 133MHz)

Environment Monitor 1
Model : ITE IT8705/12 ISA
Mainboard Specific Support : No

Temperature Sensor(s)
Board Temperature : 37.0°C / 98.6°F
CPU Temperature : 31.0°C / 87.8°F td
Power / Aux Temperature : 48.0°C / 118.4°F

Cooling Device(s)
Auto Fan Speed Control : No
CPU Fan Speed : 2766rpm

Voltage Sensor(s)
CPU Voltage : 1.41V
Aux Voltage : 1.81V
+3.3V Voltage : 3.23V
+5V Voltage : 4.84V
+12V Voltage : 12.04V
-12V Voltage : -0.18V
-5V Voltage : -5.66V
Standby Voltage : 5.03V
Battery Voltage : 3.26V

AGP Bus(es) on Hub 1
Version : 2.00
Speed : 4x
Fast-Writes Enabled : No
Side Band Enabled : Yes
Aperture Size : 128MB

PCI Bus(es) on Hub 1
Version : 2.20
Number of Bridges : 1
PCI Bus 0 : PCI (1x PCIClk)

LPC Hub Controller 1
Model : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS PCI to ISA Bridge (LPC Bridge)
ACPI Power Management Enabled : Yes
Random Number Generator Enabled : No
Speed : 7MHz

USB Controller 1
Model : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS5597/8 Universal Serial Bus Controller
Version : 1.00
OHCI Interface : Yes
Channels : 2
Legacy Emulation Enabled : No

USB Controller 2
Model : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS5597/8 Universal Serial Bus Controller

USB Controller 3

USB Controller 4
Model : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Controller
Version : 2.00
Specification : 1.00
EHCI Interface : Yes
Channels : 6
Companion Controllers : 3
Addressing Support : 32-bit

System SMBus Controller 1
Model : SiS 96X SMBus
Slave Device Enabled : No
Speed : 56kHz

Expansion Slot(s)
PCI1 (1h) : PCI 32-bit +3.3V Shared PME Full-Length Available (Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) 5591/2 Virtual PCI to PCI Bridge)
PCI2 (2h) : PCI 32-bit +3.3V Shared PME Full-Length Used (Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS PCI to ISA Bridge (LPC Bridge))
PCI3 (3h) : PCI 32-bit +3.3V Shared PME Full-Length (Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS5597/8 Universal Serial Bus Controller)
PCI4 (4h) : PCI 32-bit +3.3V Shared PME Full-Length (Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS900 10/100 Ethernet Adapter)
PCI5 (5h) : PCI 32-bit +3.3V Shared PME Full-Length
ISA1 (6h) : ISA 16-bit +3.3V Shared PME Full-Length
ISA2 (7h) : ISA 16-bit +3.3V Shared PME Full-Length

Port Connector
USB - Def : SSA SCSI - Mini Centronics / DB-25 pin male

Performance Tips
Notice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
Warning 2508 : All memory slots are full. Upgrading the memory may be difficult or expensive.
-------------------------------------------

If anything more specific is needed, please let me know and I'll get right to putting it together for you. I'm at the end of my rope here, so I'd appreciate any help at all. Thanks.

Daniel Najimian Nov 15, 2003, 04:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I recently built a P4 system and installed Win XP Pro. Within a few days I started getting a message that the system had found new hardware (SM Bus Controller) and that it needed to find a driver. Base on some of the other posts in this forum, I re-installed the drivers for my motherboard (an AOpen AX4SPE-N) from its installation CD, and that fixed the problem.

f k Nov 19, 2003, 04:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey everybody! Will someone be kind enough to address the original question after all?The question is'What is SMBUS'? In this thread evrything has been discussed except this root question.Will somebody please enlighten? Thanks in advance.

f k Nov 19, 2003, 04:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
sorry! I was abit hasty, I didn't see the other page.Now my question is 'Is it required to load SMBUS drivers?'.
My system board is a7n8x deluxe-rev2.It has a SMBUS connector and the manual says it is for any SMBUS device to connect to mobo.But how in ---- am i going to know if a certain device is required to connect to SMBUS? Any answers will be highly appreciated.

Steve L Nov 19, 2003, 08:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
And another person joins the bandwagon via Google.
Proc: Intel P4 2.80Ghz
Mobo: Asus p4c800 deluxe
Mem: 512MB
Video: ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Sound: on-board
latest drivers and BIOS
The problem:
My son was having trouble playing America's Army lately. The computer would crash at the same point. Everything indicated a video card problem. I had installed all the latest drivers, turned off unneccessary services. Still crashing. So I did a system restore going back a while. The game ran fine so I started reinstalling things and testing the game and creating restore points after every major change. During this time I was getting the SMBus red x device not working sign.
I installed the latest Intel chipset driver v.5.0.2.1003. (The system restore uninstalled this.) The red x'ed SMBus moved from "Unknown Device" to the "System Devices" tree with the red x intact. The game crashed at the same old place. I did a system restore back to before installing the chipset driver and now it's "Unknown Device" and the game is working fine.
Suggestions?

f k Nov 19, 2003, 09:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hello everybody.I discovered that if you really want to get info about SMBUS, then while running a google ,try SMBUS and not SM BUS(no space between SM and BUS).

John Lewin Nov 20, 2003, 12:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Since this was one of my first hits on google and since I found a solution to my problem, I thought it would be best to share the results. In Device manager on a Windows 2003 Server/MSI 865G motherboard I had the SM Bus contoller showing an error status. Installing the Intel Chipset software, basically the lastest INF files for the integrated components on the motherboard, solved the problem.

Larry Hamilton Dec 26, 2003, 08:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I want to thank you guys. I was having the same problem being discussed. I was going out of my head trying to get a driver. Then I stumbled on someones suggestion in the form of a question--do you have a USB device connected? I looked up and saw a storage device on USB...I say, what the hell, I tried everything else. I turned it off, discarded the yellow question mark and rebooted...Worked perfectly.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.