Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1181 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s June 24 - 04:52am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Pppp May 03, 2005, 07:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I have two "250Gb 8Mb Cache Maxtor MaxLine Plus II" and I use them on a barebone Shuttle XPC SB75G2 with an "Intel 82801ER SATA RAID Controller".

Dose any one know about some incompatibility relater or not to the NCQ (Native Command Queueing) nor TCQ (Tagged Command Queueing)???

Thank you.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Keith Kelly May 03, 2005, 12:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Last night I checked the checkbox on the disk device settings in Device Manager that says, "Disable tagged queueing", and rebooted... and I haven't had a problem since. This looks like the solution to me.

Please -- others here who are having these same described onboard SATA-RAID problems (event 51 error in event log, random seizing/freezing behavior as if the drive is "stuck", drives becoming corrupted/unbootable, etc), try this solution and post back and let us know if it works for you too.

Pppp May 03, 2005, 12:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just can't find that "Disable tagged queueing" checkbox in Device Manager.
Under what is it located???

Keith Kelly May 03, 2005, 01:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You might not have that checkbox, or its location might differ, depending on what SATA-RAID controller you have and what driver it is using. Also, I suppose it's possible there might be a BIOS option on some systems to change this setting in the motherboard's BIOS.

On my system (Promise 20376 aka FastTrak 376 onboard SATA-RAID controller on Windows XP SP2), it's under:

Device Manager
Disk devices
Right-click on the disk representing the RAID array
Choose "Properties"
Go to the "SCSI Proprties" tab.
There are two checkboxes, one of which is "Disable tagged queueing".

I would send a screenshot but I'm at work right now and can't get to my home PC to take a screen capture. But I can post one later tonight if it would be helpful.

Steve Burke May 03, 2005, 02:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
Tried that. Thought it might work, but it hasn't.
Sorry but thanks for the information.
Regards,
Steve

Simon Pugh May 03, 2005, 06:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My lil'ol 40GB Barracuda has been logging these event 51 warnings from 'disk' since I started looking into lock-ups after up-grading (finally!) from Win 98 to XP with SP2, and found out about the event viewer.
Intrigued by all the discussion re SATA and RAID, as that cannot be the cause of mine cropping up now and again.

The up-grade went OK except that it screwed up Norton Internet Security 2005 and it then took many, many hours using all their tools and tips to remove it's clutter sufficiently to get it to reinstall - three times it completely froze my system at some stage of the installation. Fourth time around (after trying sfc as well) it installed fully, up-dated OK and so I left it running a full virus scan overnight. Guess what the morning brought - yup, a locked up pc! Nothing in the logs just before or after the lockup, just sat there twiddling its thumbs with the hard disc light on and the screen clock showing when it locked up. This may or may not be related to the event 51 warnings cropping up sometimes....

Only other messages of concern are from Microsoft fax event 32068 Initialisation/termination. Not using it and haven't got a modem as on broadband???

Simon

LanTHrusteR LTHR May 04, 2005, 06:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 04, 2005, 06:27am EDT

>> Re: NCQ/TCQ

Brandon Lee May 04, 2005, 12:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm kind of inexperienced in the areas of controllers and alll that. My problems started in Jan. when i was playing the latest prince of persia title. I'm playing the game and all of a sudden my hard drive starts making these clicking noises, and the computer froze. After that the same thing would happen even when i wasn't playing the game. Finally one day i turn on my computer and i got the blue screen of death, but only for half a second before it would just restart.

Being inexperienced with this i swapped out the HD. I had a 250 gb Maxtor before, with a 60 gb maxtor as a slave. I switched to a 120gb western digital HD, with the 60 gb Maxtor as the slave. I thought this might of solved the problem but i was playing another game Act of War and it started doing the same thing. Event 51 is always logged, with the source being the disk. It used to log with events 9 and 11. Now event 51 happens randomly.

Don't know what the solution might be though but anyone having these problems after playing a game?

Keith Kelly May 04, 2005, 01:15pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, as I've already posted, checking the "disable tagged queueing" box in my driver properties totally solved the problem for me.

Moto Guzzi May 07, 2005, 12:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 07, 2005, 12:46am EDT

>> Feel like sh.....ttt......ng in my pants today!
How many weeks now since I disabled both devices on IDE-2, and have not seen this until I booted just now.

This now freeks me out, to say the least. On reboot, perfectly, no problem.

My thoughts are now back to the Intel Processor as suspect=P4 3.06GH with HT upgraded to. My probems started after upgrading to this processor.........Intel are you listning ???

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Seeing that AMD users experience this phenomonen too, is this true ??

Are AMD processors manufactured by Intel ????? Somebody told me this as a fact...

Bill Dobbs May 07, 2005, 10:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I get this on my CD-RW... completely screws my system whilst a CD's in the drive... fortunately, when I take the CD out, system is fine!!!

DOH! M$ :(

Oh well, good luck all of ya'll!

pulse pulse May 12, 2005, 04:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ive been tearing my brain out for weeks trying to figure out why my system kept blue screening and locking up' same error IDs etc....tried everything - reformatted, swopped drives blahdeblah - then i found this thread and did the 'disable tagged queueing' thing - bingo! - been running for 72 hours, burning, downloading etc with no further problems at all - mr kelly....you...errrm.....rock!

Pppp May 12, 2005, 06:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have finally found a solution: REMOVE THE RAID DRIVERS FROM MY SATA CONTROLLER AND NOW WORKING IN IDE MODE!

I don't have RAID configured, so I can manage to use my controller both in IDE or RAID mode.
At the beginning I installed Windows in IDE mode because I thought it was possible to install the RAID drivers in a second time, but I was wrong.
I made several Windows repair to give the F6 option in the WinXP setup, but every solution was bad.
Now I returned like it was before and my drives are even more faster then before.
With HDTach, just after I installed WinXP in IDE mode and with all the updates and system drivers I have now, I got a 122Mb file transfere, that with a SATA drive is a little too low.
Messing up with all the repair and RAID drivers I tried I got 115 and 117Mb max.
Now with the turn back I have 120Mb in HDTach.
Its still not that fast, but its stable and enough good.
The only thing I don't understand is that in EVERY test I made I have not seen other then "UATA 5" in SisoftSandra, even while using the RAID mode.

This is my story. :)

Ian M May 12, 2005, 09:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 12, 2005, 09:06pm EDT

pretty obvious for the problem I've got here, but he's my issue with 51

The PC was dropped. fairly heavily too. event Id 51, 11 & 9 are now intermittent, may not occur for days.

What does occur is occasionally the HDD is not detected a simple reseat of cable either end and all ok.

Anyway - getting the HDD replaced as not trusting the drive after a big drop, enough to break the supports of the case front.

Not saying this is everyones issue, but if a customer brings you there PC to fix, just check the case for damage sustained by a quick stop on the ground.

Cheers

[edit] oh sorry - single SATA Seagate 7200.7 drive on an ASUS P4C800-e rev 2.0

H. Sterner May 13, 2005, 08:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 14, 2005, 07:27am EDT

This is my first post at this forum. I registred mainly to get an opportunity to thank you for contributing to solving this puzzling "Event Id - 51 syndrome" for me. In particular I would like to thank LTHR for pinpointing the NCQ/TCQ conflict as one cause of the problem, and Kelly et al. for giving feedback that it works - also in my case it was exactly what was wrong. Thanks a lot!

Here is some details of the system in which the fix worked, maybe it can be helpful for the technologically minded people to see deeper patterns. I recently built a gaming rig based on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mboard, using the onboard NVidia nForce4 ADMA controller with a single Hitachi 160 GB S-ATA.

There were a lot of diffuse symptoms that something was not right, however very seldom fatal errors in the beginning. I could not make the system entirely stable no matter what I did. The machine seemed bothered by something while loading Windows, often taking quite long time to load for no apparent reason. Lately the problems seemed to escalate, it could not load user profiles but managed to offer a standard profile, could not read certain dll's, general diffuse complaints about being unable to start certain applications for different reasons, registry errors, halted applications and services, etc. Rebooting often cured the problems temporarily. Sometimes things were screwed up more seriously but not worse than fixable by a system restore to an earlier working configuration. I found no errors with diskcheck, and checked the memory with memtest86 for hours, nothing.

When checking out the logs I found this this strange "Event Id - 51: ...". It almost always came multiple times, like 10-20 times in a row, then nothing apart from the ordinary informational entries for several hours or even days. The event 51 entries were sometimes accompanied by error entries that the Telephony service could not start because it was "not a valid windows program", and dependency errors from that.

Unchecking the command queuing option in the driver cured it all (this Hitachi disk does not have this feature but it was checked as default). Now Windows loads incredibly fast, consistently. No more Event Id - 51 in the log as far as the harddisk is concerned, no more strange error messages of faulty code. I found one eventid 51 related to the dvd burner some days ago, though. It could be due to a faulty cd and I don't think it signifies anything important.

The only things that appear to have been damaged by the faulty paging operations are some gaming files. If other problems show up later I will reinstall windows for sure, in fact I'm impressed that XP managed to find a way to work around most problems for so long.

Thinking about it more broadly, I find it amazing that so many hardware and controller manufacturers not only forgot to ensure correct functionality in the first place, but also seem unable to find and communicate the simple solution to its customers, support personnel and what have you.

Best wishes with your "51's",
/H.

Brandon Lee May 15, 2005, 11:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Kind of confused about this because everything was running fine until i just touched my IDE cable a little bit and all of a sudden the harddrive starts making noises, and event 51 comes up. In the past the event 51 would come up without me touch anything. I would just be using the computer and then the HD would start clicking and making noise. I think i have to get a new cable or reseat the old one.

Paul Rafferty May 16, 2005, 06:15pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think there's a good chance that some people are getting wires crossed here. This error can occur if you have an actual hardware problem - be it the IDE cable, the disk or the controller. There's no point in beating around the bush when you have a hardware problem - just replace the hardware and it will go away.

This error also seems to occur on certain badly designed systems where no actual hardware fault exists. My Maxtor 6B300S0 SATA disk works perfectly in my main computer when connected to an Adaptec 1210SE SATA RAID controller. However, when I put it into my AOpen XC EX65-II I get these damn Event 51 problems. Turning off the tagged queueing on the controller isn't an option (maybe it's only available on SATA RAID controllers?) but I have tried all of the following:

- Update all software (Intel chipset drivers, IAA, XP updates)
- Disable disk cache (event 51 stopped, but the computer started freezing instead.)
- Change BIOS settings (not much to see here. One controller handles SATA and ATA. I can tell it to do ATA, SATA or both. If I say 'SATA only', my CD isn't available. If I say 'ATA only', my disk isn't available.)

If I don't find some miraculous cure by tomorrow I'm getting my SATA drive swapped for an ATA drive of the same size. Buying another PCI SATA controller is not an option because I don't have a spare PCI slot. So, to conclude, I think that this controller (Intel 865G chipset, ICH5) isn't capable of handling my IDE CDROM and my SATA drive simultaneously.

LanTHrusteR LTHR May 17, 2005, 05:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 17, 2005, 05:54am EDT

Hello, Paul

I've had the same problems with ICH5R controller running with NCQ HD. There was no cure found but to install a new Promise controller. A new HD with no NCQ should have helped equally well but I decided not to downgrade.

Are you sure that your drive(s) DOES NOT support NCQ? What is its exact model?
http://store.advcomp.net/advancedcomptech/details.asp?item=MX076B300S0

It looks like it DOES have NCQ support.

Now, to the interesting part. ICH5(R) has no NCQ support, even though Intel drivers has this option in their settings box - don't be fooled by it - ICH5R is just constructively NOT CAPABLE to handle either NCQ or TCQ. You would have to run through Intel specs to see that the first Intel controller that does support NCQ/TCQ is ICH6.

ICH5
ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/25251601.pdf
Please note that there is no AHCI support therby ICH5R is not capable to handel NCQ/TCQ drives, no matter what checkboxes you have it won't work.

ICH6
ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/applnots/30264802.pdf
==snap==
AHCI is an industry-defined specification for SATA host controller registers and command
operations. It addresses limitations of existing host controller interfaces such as proprietary power
management solutions, software intensive command delivery and interrupt overhead, and limited
device count support (two devices per channel, four total devices per controller with Parallel
ATA). ICH6R AHCI support allows standardized host controller support for new SATA features
such as Native Command Queuing (NCQ) and hot plug. NCQ is an important feature within the
ICH6R AHCI implementation that improves performance for the storage interface.
==snap==

There is no 51 error problem reports from people with ICH6R, and never was. There is more - exchanging ICH5(R) MB on ICH6(R) would have solved this problem entirely.

I'm still not sure that it is NCQ/TCQ but it is the suspect number one.

You are right about IDE/SATA conflicts on this chipset, I noticed them as well. But the cause of them - is not clearly defined yet. I believe it is due to NCQ HDD and none NCQ ICH5R. It is difficult to imagine that Intel would turn out a IDE/SATA controller uncapable to work with IDE/SATA drives at the same time.

All the hardware can not be faulty. It must be a standard conflict or unspecified standard behavior, as it was mentioned in this thread - it is a new technology innovations side effect and I agree with that. I am sure that Intel and other makers are aware of the problem. There might be different reasons why this issue is not clarified and made public by authorized people - that's what makes us all suspect the worst.

Moto Guzzi May 17, 2005, 03:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> AGREE
"All the hardware can not be faulty. It must be a standard conflict or unspecified standard behavior, as it was mentioned in this thread - it is a new technology innovations side effect and I agree with that. I am sure that Intel and other makers are aware of the problem. There might be different reasons why this issue is not clarified and made public by authorized people - that's what makes us all suspect the worst."

I am afraid, I tend to agree with you 100%. The fact of the matter is thing get pushed overhastely on the market, nothing wrong with our money, we pay what they ask. Look at what happened to analog modems even worse recent years. I say it again, I managed to get rid of my problem on SP1, but SP2 brought it back on.

My theory is...1-Hyper Treading...2-The Processor....3-The chipset, and I think what happens is disk commands are passed to CDROMS, not understanding it of course.....Time outs & error recorded.
I have tried the Disk-,Chipset-,Processor-,& MB-Manufacturers....Not one of them even wants to touch this...Now that is an answer in itself!!!

The problem is, I spend a fortune on the frinking PC, and nothing frustrates as much as knowing your Ferrari has a piston slab.....

Where are the old school of carefull engineers.....We need you back urgently...Unlock all old age homes.

David Smith May 17, 2005, 08:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 17, 2005, 08:02pm EDT

Im not sure this is a HT problem..I mean we dont all run HT P4's here right?

If we do there was an interesting discussion going on in the intel forums not long ago about HT & compatability with some hardware. For example, my USB modem wont install with HT turned on (or it will install only for my DUN icon to disappear on reboot) yet turn it off & it installs & works fine. After a couple of reboots I can turn HT back on & my icon no longer disappears. The reason I relate this story is because when I first encountered the problem I did a lot of research on HT & found the 3rd party hardware/software unable to run with HT on is in effect 'no-ones problem'. IE no-one wants to address it. Intel say its the 3rd parties problem (they need to rewrite their software to run with HT) while the 3rd parties say its Intels fault for not designing their processor with 3rd party software in mind..

Anyway im getting off the subject matter at hand here but I guess im saying if HT is the common denominator here I wouldnt be surprised & theres more on the above if you want to search the net..

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.