Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 816 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 07:02pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Pppp May 17, 2005, 09:28pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
But using a NCQ drive on an Intel controller that DOES NOT support NCQ would it mean probable problems???

I ask this because I am thinking to get two new "250Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.8" to use on my "Intel 82801ER SATA RAID Controller".

Thank you.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
LanTHrusteR LTHR May 18, 2005, 06:04am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation

Pppp May 18, 2005, 09:31pm EDT Report Abuse
LanTHrusteR LTHR... what computer do you have?
I know that NCQ drivers should at least go in IDE SATA Mode on controllers that does not support NCQ because the drive should work even on a non NCQ controller.

Here is an extract from the 'Conclusions' of the "Seagate Barracuda 7200.8" review (http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200504/20050414ST3400832AS_1.html):

<<Some may point out that the 7200.8 supports SATA NCQ and that the drive's performance is not fully realized without mating it to an appropriate controller.>>

So I should be able to use them on an intel controler like that.

P.S.: How did you realized that you wern't able to use NCQ drives?

Please let me know.
S.

LanTHrusteR LTHR May 19, 2005, 05:56am EDT Report Abuse

Moto Guzzi May 19, 2005, 04:31pm EDT Report Abuse
>> HT....
"Does AMD support HT? I saw posts around the net reporting the same issue on AMD processors"

>>>>$$$$>>>> I have heard from clued up guy that AMD processors comes from same wafels as Intel processors....

About HT: I always watch Eventviewer, and for 3.5 to 4 years I never ever saw this error. I only got it after I upgraded from P4 2GHZ[Without HT] ......Update BIOS.....to a P4 3.06Ghz with HT and the MB supports it..Confirmed by Gigabyte.

If I disable my CDROM/DVD & CDRW on IDE-2, the occurences hardly happens. I only get this on during boot...You can see the scroll blue bar hessitates sometimes.

Something else bothering me, is the fact that this error message is "Backtimed" in Eventviewer, i.e. I means it lies between other entries, of which their times follows on each other, but not this entry... It is way before the others, but is written between them.....??

Paul Lee May 22, 2005, 01:39am EDT Report Abuse
Hello everyone. I just wanted to inform you all that I also experienced this dreaded \Device\Harddisk0\D problem BUT I believe I have fixed it on my computer. First, here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon64 3000+
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (not SLI)
OCZ DDR PC-3200 Premier Series Dual Channel 2x512MB
OCZ Modstream 450W PSU
2x160GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 SATA
LG GSA-4160B DVD-writer IDE
ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256MB PCI-Express
ATI TV Wonder Pro

My system is a recent upgrade so all my parts (including both hard drives) are brand new. I've set up my hard drives to run on SATA ports 3 and 4 in a bootable RAID 0 stripe. My DVD-writer is set to Primary Master on IDE1. All other IDE and SATA channels were disabled in BIOS. I had freshly installed Windows XP Pro and it ran fine for a day but then I started getting the \Device\Harddisk0\D errors in my Event Viewer as well as an occasional KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR BSOD during bootup. The \Device\Harddisk0\D errors would usually occur immediately after booting up Windows. I also experienced "path too deep" errors when transferring large amounts of data from my DVD drive to my HD (even though all filenames and paths were short). Event Viewer would show numerous Event ID - 51 \Device\Harddisk0\D errors (about 20 at a time). I've never seen these errors on my old system and I refused to believe that my HDs were faulty because they were brand new so I searched the net for help and found that everyone here is experiencing the same problem. After reading everyone's symptoms and fixes, I tried a few of your suggestions and found one that worked for me. I disabled tagged queuing and disabled synchronous tranfers for my hard drive and rebooted my computer. I haven't gotten a single error in Event Viewer ever since. It's been only 2 days now but I believe my \Device\Harddisk0\D problem is gone for good. I will report back to you guys after another week to confirm my fix.

For anyone who wants to try my fix, you can disable tagged queuing and synchronous transfers by accessing your hard drive's properties page in device manager, selecting the SCSI Properties tab, and clicking on the two appropriate boxes. Reboot your computer, and hopefully, your \Device\Harddisk0\D headaches are gone too. Thank you to everyone here for their advice!

Moto Guzzi May 22, 2005, 12:58pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Another vague angle on this saga.
A] PC connected to different external hardware.
Today I cloned my disk to another. Doing this, I connect PC to different Monitor, diff Keybord, and diff mouse, seeing my PC is build into a desk. After cloning, I keep everything connected, but with Cable-Detect settings for Disk on IDE1 and for both CD-RW & CDROM/DVD on IDE2. I re-booted 15 times with them enabled, no problem.

B] PC connected to original external hardware.
I then re-connect my PC in original hardware enviroment. I re-booted 15 times, problem still gone....So I thought.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Then I run Symantec Norton WinDocter...It found 1x entry/shortcut relating to System Restore, which I deleted.....Gues what..The problem has come back.

The reason I mention this is that I got this vague feeling a couple of times before that Norton may cause/stirr something......

Colin Senior May 23, 2005, 03:58pm EDT Report Abuse
AMD 64 3500+ 2.64GHz
Zalman 7000 HS
Asus A8V Deluxe rev 2.0 MB
1024MB Corsair XMS 4400-C25PE
Powercolor X850XT PE AGP, VGA
SB Audigy 4 Pro

Above spec`s are the machine I use now daily and the dreaded error 51 has occured here also!!
After contacting WD and using there excellent diagnostic tools my HDD`s (ie:- 2x WD Rapters in a Raid 0 configuration) were given a clean bil of health.
I am at present talking to Microsoft about this problem but do not have much hope of finding a solution as you guy`s are a long time busy with this!!
I would just like to ADD this to the debate like one other member of the forum IT too occured to my computer after a fault with Norton System Works 2005 Premier edition.
Norton gave me an obscure fault (as in E Mail Proxy) no code nothing and shut me out of the internet after numerous call`s with Symantec and trying all there solution`s I decided to remove it and re-install this fixed my internet conection but threw up this error 51 on start up.
I always get 19 entries to the event viewer and my startup time has been extended to 1min 28sec`s from 38sec`s before this problem arose.
I shall await Microsoft`s answer but have the sneaking felling that this is Norton Based or Security Based if everyone does not have Norton installed as all the Security Companies use a similar code in there program`s

Paul Lee May 23, 2005, 06:25pm EDT Report Abuse
Update to my previous post.

Looks like my "disable tagged queuing and synchronous transfers" fix doesn't cure the \Device\Harddisk0\D problem after all. But, I may have found the real cure (fingers crossed). It appears that simply setting Windows' preferred memory usage to "Programs" instead of "System cache" solves the problem for me. I have tried switching settings back and forth a few times and the results are consistent: If it's set to Programs, I get no errors reported in Event Viewer. But when it's set to System cache, I get the errors reported in Event Viewer. I'll keep my memory settings on "Programs" for the entire week and report back to you guys on what happens. Oh yeah, I've re-enabled tagged queuing and synchronous transfers on my hard drives again... No errors yet.

This \Device\Harddisk0\D problem is quite perplexing. I'm starting to suspect that the fault lies with Windows. It's funny how people's computers have been running fine for a while and then this problem just pops up out of nowhere. I think Microsoft must've added some faulty code in one of their many security updates and it's now screwing with everyone's system stability. Perhaps it has something to do with how DEP (Data Execution Prevention) interacts with memory? Is everyone who is encountering this \Device\Harddisk0\D problem running Service Pack 2 with DEP enabled? That's just my speculation.

Steve Burke May 24, 2005, 04:36pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi,

Are you using winxp?
Just if you could, clarify where to tell windows to use "memory for programs"?
Just to add:
I am now getting these error 51's every minute all the time! - definately bad.
20 would be nothing to me. I get 20 every minute the pc runs!!!!!!!!!
The hard disks are fine, its the piece of crap of a sil 4112 etc. rubbish built into this asus delux. Nice mobo pity about the SATA controller.

To add also : I had norton system works installed also, didnt have ne major errors, but it was on my system.

I was thinking of removing the page file and just to use memory - I have 1gb of memory and rarely use above 600megs.

I am waiting to source a Promise SATA controller.
Any suggestions on where to get one with a RAID conf also? Im based in Ireland.

Colin Senior May 24, 2005, 07:13pm EDT Report Abuse
My problem with event ID-51 has gone for 24hrs now after removing NSW2005 and editing the registry to remove all the bit`s left over from it`s installation.
It effected the SP2 security centre to the extent of no warnings given for no anti-virus program installed and windows own firewall had to be re-activated.
Other than that all is clean no more entries in event viewer and internet access is perfect.
I am in heavy confrontation with Symantec at the moment as I run 3 identical machines regarding software and there configurations are also the same with the other two not showing any sign`s of problem`s.
I would like to here from anyone else who managed to cure this problem by removing any Norton product in particular 2005 editions.

Moto Guzzi May 25, 2005, 04:06pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Symantec...Norton System Works
Colin,

Maybe we are on to something...I got this feeling on more than one occation that after I managed to remove the problem, by..
1-Deleting the prefetch files
2-Uninstalling the processors
3-Uninstalling the chipset drivers
4-Uninstalling the Harddisk drivers,
...XP re-installs them on reboot...

If I then run Norton System Works windoctor....Zap, the error is back......I was on Norton 2004 everuthing.

I just bought upgrades for Norton SW & AV & NISecurity Firewall 2005, but has not installed it yet.
My problem[Error(S)] only occur at/during bootup.

I also played around with pagefile & System cache in Device Manager, but no luck.

So far the Norton's bell rings the loudest......Maybe I must uninstall Norton Products and leave the Internet for one month and check what happens...............

Am I going to nail Symantec if this proves to be the case.....

Paul Lee May 25, 2005, 09:14pm EDT Report Abuse
Steve,

Yeah, I'm using Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed. I've never installed or used Norton on my machine but I am using McAfee VirusScan 9.0. I did try adjusting my pagefile but it had no effect. I set it to 500MB, then 1500MB, then disabled it altogether, but I still kept gettings those errors. I know it sounds silly but setting my memory preference to Programs instead of System Cache really does solve my \Device\Harddisk0\D problems. People can give it a try by going to their control panel and clicking on the system icon/app, click on the "Advanced" tab, click on the "Settings" button under Performance to bring up the Performance Options menu, click on "Advanced" tab, and then you can set your memory usage to Programs instead of System Cache. I've also set my Processor scheduling to Programs but that doesn't seem to affect the \Device\Harddisk0\D errors. It seems like such a small insignificant setting but I swear it is the cause and cure of my \Device\Harddisk0\D problems. I too was also prepared to take everyone's advice and buy a Promise RAID controller but I stumbled onto my cure. I hope everyone here finds a way to solve their problems because I know how frustrating it is to spend your hard-earned money on "quality" parts only to have your computer running less than perfectly. And I have tons of respect for all you guys out there that actually contact your system/software vendors and demand answers for these annoying problems that we all experience. To all the people who actually have the time and energy to contact Microsoft: You guys are heroes! I would never have the patience to do that.

LanTHrusteR LTHR May 26, 2005, 04:23am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Norton is OK
Norton is not the cause of the problem.
Any application that creates "conflict" conditions can trigger 51 error. Norton is just heavily overloads processor and performs random disk access. The exact "conflict" conditions are not known.

Steve Burke May 26, 2005, 01:01pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi,

Nope, im afraid setting performance for applications or background services does no good.
Its slightly different on my win2k box here, but I get what you were saying. I tried it with both.
I cant even make an adobe pdf for heavens sake!
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think that there are no software solutions to fix this piece of crap of a sil3112a onboard chip.
I am trying to source a good promise sata pci controller and not spend too much on this money pit of a pc.
Keep ideas and suggestions coming.
Cheers lads,

-steve

Brian Hall May 28, 2005, 09:15am EDT Report Abuse
Hello all,

I stumbled upon this forum the other day while searching for an answer to a problem I have been having with my computer. I have been getting this Event ID 51 for about two months now. It started when one of my hard drives went bad (I think). I kept getting Error 51, Unknown Hard Error during XP install, and I couldnt format the drive for some reason. Since it is SATA I was unable to diagnose it with software tools, since they dont support it yet (at least Maxtor doesn't). When I built my computer, I bought two of the same HDD's, and I think that may be the root of my problem. Now, the second one of the two that I bought, both 60GB is giving the error 51. Only during intense file transfers, say backing up to my other hard drive, which never gets the errors, of burning of a DVD, or when opening LimeWire or such when it scans my documents, at that point is when I get the errors. Anyway, so far I have tried both SATA controllers on my mobo (ASUS A8V), with no luck. So I bought a PCI Promise SATA controller. There was a noticable speed increase in the HDD's, but still get the error at the same point. So I tried the disabling the tagged queuing and sequential transfers, still nothing. So now I think that maybe the two hard drives I got were a set of a bad batch, since it seems that only these two are giving errors. The new one I bought was a 200GB Maxtor, and that one has been fine. So I am still left with this error. I have tested my memory with memtest both overclocked and regular, no errors either time. I think either the HDD is bad, or my memory might be bad (I dont think the memory is the case) My config is AMD 3500+, ASUS A8V, 1GB Kingston RAM, NVIDIA 6800GT, 60GB HDD, 200GB HDD, Audigy 2. I am just another one of the members here that are enjoying (yeah right) this problem. Anyway, anyone have any suggestions to my thoughts or problems, feel free to chime in, and I will keep updated if any more problems come up on my end or I get them fixed. Thanks!

Jerome Garrett May 28, 2005, 11:59am EDT Report Abuse
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
2x Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB SATA HDD's on Sata ports 3 and 4 in RAID configuration
1x Maxtor DiamondMax 9 120GB IDE HDD
Windows XP SP2

I have also gotten the exact same problem. I thought it was at first because I bumped my computer while the HDD's were in use, but now that is not the case. I JUST installed XP and this mobo yesterday. Wish I could check the hard drives to see which one it is...

I have currently unhooked the IDE HDD, I hope that was the culprit because I heard a weird hum comming from my case. I stopped every fan to try to pinpoint the noise. I have concluded its either the Hard Drives or the PSU...but hope you guys have other suggestions.

One other thing I might try is to uninstall the nVidia IDE drivers and just use the normal Microsoft ones...

Jerome Garrett May 28, 2005, 12:00pm EDT Report Abuse
sorry....dbl post.

Steve Burke May 31, 2005, 08:33am EDT Report Abuse
Hi All,

Finally bit the bullet and have ordered a Promise FastTrack TX2200 SATA-II Bulk controller for my Asus.
What finally done it for me:

When I initally formed a RAID 1 (Mirroring) there were no problems. I thought this was due to the original hard disk not been fragmented.
I defraged the Mirror 1 disk with Perfect Disk.
Errors would still occur on startup.

Also, In the event log, errors were always "\Device\Harddisk2\DR2".
I swaped the drives around (I have 1 maxtor and 1 Seagate) on the sata channels. Still the errors would occur on "\Device\Harddisk2\DR2" i.e. Hard Disks are fine. Something wrong with DR2 Sata channel on the SIL chip.

There ye have it. I have the order placed, will give it about 14 days.

Just finally however, a few Questions Please to those who have bought external controller cards however,

When I get the Promise Card, how do I keep my Win2K install?
Do I uninstall the SIL4112 drivers?
How/ Where do I place the promise drivers so Win2K will pick up the promise drivers on startup?
Will Win2K boot without promise drivers?
I am not reinstalling Win2K - hopefully.

Cheers & Best Rgds,
Steve

Jerome Garrett May 31, 2005, 10:33am EDT Report Abuse
what I did for me (since I use the nVidia IDE Drivers) is to uninstall the PATA portion of the drivers and revert back to the Microsoft IDE drivers. Problem solved for me.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.