Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 967 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 07:27pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Paul Bernatchez Jun 01, 2005, 04:12pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
FIXED (so much for Microsoft and Asus blah blah and the hundreds of posts on the net)

OK, you are going to be amazed! I just got my new ASUS SLI A8N Deluxe motherboard with an AMD 4000, WD 10000RPM Raptor drive, 1GB Dual Channel Ram with MSI NVidia nx6800 Ultra video card.

I found Sander Sassen guide to A8N setup, AWESOME! 5 minutes after finishing the install I am getting error: 51 on my brand new drive! 10 minutes minutes later I'm getting error: 51 on the brand new 52x CD drive! Every time I rebooted, error 51 would start again. 1st day was disk, 2nd day was CD.

I let it go and continued bench marking with Passmark, and it showed my CD drive was half the speed of the other baselines I loaded. Nothing in the bios would really acount for this, so I swapped out the new drive with my old DVD/CD drive from my last machine. All the disk and CD error 51 went away. I tested it out by installing Half-life 2 and played it for 3 hours. Still nothing in the event viewer. Now my CD Mark is double of the other baselines.

So the moral of the story is if you build a killer machine, don't forget the small things like CD drives. Take the time to research each device like you would a video card, CPU or motherbaord. It may be the straw that brakes the camels back.

Thanks Again Sanders, great post on the A8N!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
v b Jun 11, 2005, 11:27pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Had this problem come up ONLY while playing tribes2. winxp/sp1, amd xp2100, epox 8rda3+, 36gb raptor.
Disabled tagged queuing and everything is fine again.

thanks for whoever posted it!!!

German Kraut Jun 18, 2005, 10:08am EDT Report Abuse
Hi,

i'm so glad i found this board discussing exactly the problem which is buggin me for months.

My Hardware specs:

- P2 400
- Windows 2000 SP4
- SIL 680 IDE Controller Card (ATA 133) <- running with IDE firmware, RAID not needed !!!
- HDDs:
-> Samsung SP1604N 160GB
-> Samsung SP1614N 160GB
-> Samsung SP0411N

Problem:

EventIDs:
- 32 ... has its write cache enabled...
- 11 ... driver detected a controller error on Device...
- 50 FtDisk
- 26 ... data has been lost...

So far no data has been compromised.

You guys know if those Samsung drives require NCQ/TCQ ?
Does my SIL controller support NCQ/TCQ ?

I just disabled synch. transfer & tagged queuing. Maybe it helps.

Does it bring a significant speed burst to run "synch. transfer & tagged queuing" on a working system?

Isnt the best solution to by a decent controller card, e.g. Promise?
Is Promise (Bulk) FastTrak133 Ultra/DMA133 Raid Card a good choice for me? Can i run it in pure IDE mode too?

Hope im not buggin u guys w/ too many questions.

Thx for ur help in advance.

Greetings
GermanKraut77

German Kraut Jun 18, 2005, 10:16am EDT Report Abuse
Small addition to my previous post:

After rebooting "synch. transfer & tagged queuing" are still disabled in control panel/system. It hasnt been overwritten by the controller card.

SiIcfg, a program running in background reports for all hdds:

- Lock-Ahead: Enabled
- Write-Cache: Enabled

In Event Viewer 32 appears: driver detected that the device .. has its write cache enabled. Data corruption may appear.

Just transferred a 3 gig large file from one hdd to another on that SIL controller card.
It shows EventID 11 (... controller error on...) !!!

Bad sign?

Maybe only a new Promise card will solve the issue?!?

Greetings
GermanKraut77

Steve Burke Jun 18, 2005, 11:34am EDT Report Abuse

John VandenBrook Jun 18, 2005, 10:43pm EDT Report Abuse
I am receiving the same "Event ID - 51" error, as shown below:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 51
Date: 6/18/2005
Time: 7:16:12 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MyCompName
Description:
An error was detected on device during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Occurs:
When trying to connect a Maxtor OneTouch II or Wester Digital Drive in generic enclosure (both 300Gig) to SIIG USB 2, 4-port PCMCIA Card.
With Maxtor I receive \Device\Harddisk3\DR3
With Western Digital I receive \Device\Harddisk1\D

What Happens:
No Access to HD Drives and computer comes to a crawl (not a real hang)

What Works:
Use of built in USB ports with these drives work just fine and w/o event 51 ever being logged. (The put the USB ports front right which interfere with USB Mouse.)
Use of USB Logitech mouse with SIIG PC Card.

What I've Tried:
New installations, manufacturer drivers, Bios update, various combinations of these as well as older USB device drivers, etc.

What I haven't tried:
Use of SIIG card with Ext HD on WinXP Pro SP1.

If it happens that I can get this to work under WinXP Pro SP1 I will post the results, but not holding my breathe. Also, I connected the Western Digital
HD, then connected the Maxtor HD, unplugged the Western Digital Drive (which is usually when system indicates it found new hardware but not working info),
and the "Auto Play" dialog box appears with a bit of activity ready the Maxtor drive before it went to nothing.

BTW: I don't have any event 51 issues logged when using the built-in USB ports, so am sure the equipment is in good shape. I am leaning toward SP2
and/or issues with manufacturer drivers with SP2 as the real problem.

German Kraut Jun 19, 2005, 12:37pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi,

after reading all comments here i was planning to buy a Promise ATA133 Controller card.
But after reading about problems which occur hooking up optical drives to a Promise controller i'm not so sure anymore.

The following link leads to that discussion:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=90930&page=3&pp=25

Anyone around who runs optical drives on a Promise ATA 133 controller?
Please share your experience.

Thx.

Greetings
GermanKraut77

German Kraut Jun 20, 2005, 06:40am EDT Report Abuse
Hi,

can any FastTrak TX2000 - owner tell me if i can use the controller card as IDE only w/out RAID functions?

Currently im only interested in speed improvement and 48bit LBA support.

The SIL-0680 Card had a IDE BIOS.

Is there a IDE BIOS available for TX2000 also?

Hoping for a small hint. :)

Greetings
GermanKraut77

German Kraut Jun 21, 2005, 05:22am EDT Report Abuse
Hi,

just to let u know guys. I solved my problem. Event Viewer is clean!
I got myself a new ATA133 controller. Highpoint Rocket133.

Works perfectly.

Greetings
GermanKraut77

PS: Screw Silicon Image !!!

Steve Burke Jun 21, 2005, 03:01pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi All,

Well its been a long time now, but we got there - No more Event 51's and Errors.
How?

Well a combination of factors led me to my final solution - which is pretty simple and I recommend everyone to do.

As ye might have known reading this long list (which I now have solved, for myself anyways) that I went out and bought a Promise TX2200 SATA RAID controller.
I was using a SIL3112 onboard chip on my Asus A78NX deluex mobo. I had the errors - due to this thread I thought that it couldnt handle my heavy RAID 1 config with large winzip of files. I went and bought the Promise. As I had a load of programs installed I done an upgrade keeping my windows install.

The same errors occurred.
I tried to do a ghost of the RAID 1 drive. Ghost worked ok for a few minutes, no hassle picking up the SATA RAID 1 conf. Anyways Ghost bombed out with a disk error - heck what was wrong.
I done the obvious - run a chkdsk /f
Windows asked me to do it on startup - Yes Please.
Anyways, there must have been 50 corrupt clusters on my RAID 1 configuration.
Chkdsk fixed these clusters and marked them as bad - took 2 hours but it was well worth it.

And finally the errors have disappeared.
So what can we learn:
If it says "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D" run a chkdsk - it can do no harm.

I definately would advise anyone reading this thread to immediately do a chkdsk. If there are any bad clusters, you will experience the Event 51 errors and possible IO errors also.

I also tested my pc before this with Prime95 - bombed out after 3 minutes.
Tested after - Prime95 worked ok, - although I know Prime is not meant to test Hard drives etc. it must have picked up my error.

Best of Luck to this Thread and future probs.
Note: do a CHKDSK /f
-steve

eric nelson Jun 22, 2005, 11:51am EDT Report Abuse
Well I had the awesome chance at taking a wack at this problem and here so far is what I have found
I run a Dell poweredge 2600 I have a seagate external 300 gig drive on IEEE 1394.
For awhile I had a maxtor 300 gig external on usb 2.0.
Windows update came in to my server 2003 and Bam veritas quit working and Event ID 51 started running rampant. I change to the seagate external with no luck. I changed over from usb 2.0 to IEEE 1394 no luck.
I checked my event log and what I found was this error
SB2port Event ID 9
The device, , did not respond within the timeout period.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Sent the info off and this is what I got back
Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 9
Source: sbp2port
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_TIMEOUT
Message: The device, %1, did not respond within the timeout period.

Explanation
The device did not respond within the ten-second time-out period.

The device probably could not handle the amount of data read from or written to it. Some devices time out when you attempt to read or write more than 128KB in one request.

User Action
If the device not responding is a disk drive, limit the maximum transfer size on the device.

To limit the maximum transfer size on a device

Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SBP2
A list of manufacturers and models is displayed.
Double-click the folder for the device.
You can determine the manufacturer, model identification number, and Logical Unit Number (LUN) by running the Disk Management tool or Device Management tool and then viewing the properties of the disk in question.
Double-click the folder for the NodeID for your device.
Right-click the Device Parameters folder, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
In the right pane, type LegacyFlags, and then press ENTER.
Double-click LegacyFlags and then type 1 in the Value data box.
Caution: This bit flag key should only be set to 1.

The SBP2Port device driver must be unloaded and then loaded again. To unload and then load the driver, unplug the device. Wait 30 seconds, and then plug the device back in. Alternatively, you can restart the computer.

If this problem is not caused by a disk device timing out, contact the device manufacturer for a firmware upgrade.

I have added the registry key and now it seems so far (fingers crossed) to be working.
I know there are alot of these posts in here with raid configurations and what not but I dont think I managed to find any about external drives so hopefully this will help someone else out from going through 3 and a half weeks of typical microsuck troubleshooting
EZZZ all
Eric

Kelvin Soh Jun 28, 2005, 06:39pm EDT Report Abuse
hi.

i have a 160gb seagate hdd + no brand casing (usb2.0). device have been detected as a disk drive and drivers installed.

problem: when i plug the usb connection to my PC. my windows explorer will hang, and my hdd drive could not be access/seen. if i power off the external hdd, the windows wil be back to normal.

Event Viewer:
(51) An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.
(57) The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

the errors will keep on repeating until i power off my ext. hdd.

- i tested it at my old pc (celeron processor) - no problem. working.
- i tested it at my friend's new pc (almost the same configurations as mine but windows xp 64-bit) - same problem as i encountered.
- i tested it at my friend's old pc (sempron processor) - no problem. working.

the major difference between the working & non-working PC is:
32-bit and 64-bit proccessors. IDE and SATA hdd drive..

i tried it on all my usb ports - still cannot.
remove & add hardware many times - still cannot.

my usb 512mb thumb drive working normally.

please advice. thank you.

Kelvin Soh Jun 29, 2005, 07:13am EDT Report Abuse
re: above

finally managed to figure out a way to solve my external hdd problem above.
my problem was solved by changing all my nvidia IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers drivers to windows default drivers.
now, no more errors (51).

hope this will be useful for people who have the same problem as mine.

extra info:
motherboard = Abit AN8 nf4 OTES
internal c:\windows = 80gb Seagate SATA
external hdd = 160gb Seagate IDE

ditto ditto Jun 30, 2005, 05:38pm EDT Report Abuse
I think this problem is primarily due to the inability to update the generic Win XP driver. I have an nForce4 chipset for which the latest IDE driver is listed @ http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp2k_6.53 i.e. v5.18 (WHQL). But try as I might, I'm unable to overwrite the MS driver which is v5.1.2535.0 dated 7/1/2001. Uninstalling that via Device Manager only results in its reinstallation on reboot.

My HDD incidentally is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 which is a SATA I with SATA II enhancements such as NCQ.

I think we'll all just have to wait until MS wakes up to the fact that it shouldn't be using drivers that date back to Windows Millenium for it's state-of-art, *cough* XP Pro OS. ;)

In any event, running Seagate's SeaTools HDD diags reveals no problems with my particular drive.

Goofert van Dranen Jul 09, 2005, 12:06pm EDT Report Abuse

Duane Schliebe Jul 09, 2005, 03:03pm EDT Report Abuse
Hello,

I am one of the early posters on this thread:
EPOX 8DR3A+ with on-board Si3112A SATA/RAID controller, Windows XP.

I have 2 Samsung 80G SATA hard drives at the moment in a RAID 0 striped configuration, I have had them in a RAID 1 mirror configuration as well.
I had event ID 9, 11 and especially 51 from the beginning with the on-board controller.

I bought a Promise SATA150TX2 Plus PCI card and now 7 months later still have not had a single one of the error messages I had in the past.
I am very satisfied, just wanted to post an update.

Nathan Hinson Jul 13, 2005, 01:32pm EDT Report Abuse
My situation:

Motherboard: ASUS A8N SLI DELUXE
Processor: AMD64 3500
Ram: 1 GB Patriot Memory
Video: 2 XFX Nvidia 6800 GT's
HDD0: Striped Set (Fujitsu 36 GB 10,000 RPM) Partitioned into 2 18 GB Drives
HDD1: 15000 RPM Hitachi 18 GB
HDD2: 15000 RPM Hitachi 18 GB
HDD3: 15000 RPM HItachi 18 GB
Adaptec 31960 SCSI Controller: C Drive 18 GB and D: Striped across all the rest.

Before I ran into this same problem, I was running W2K and the performance of disk access was excellent.
I had no trouble at all. When XP first came out, I upgraded and installed Win XP and immediately notice that
disk access was really poor.... I went from an index with Sandra of appox 68,000 to 15,000 with all the
drivers current and up to date. I also noticed that my SCSI drives would "click" and spin down slightly (SCSI
disks make a lot of noise, so the audible down speed is easily noticeable) and then the system would hang
momentarily and then resume. I wasn't about to spend the kind of money I spent for below average
performance, so I reformatted and reinstalled W2K and all was back to normal. Since my last upgrade, I was
forced to use Win XP because of SLI. My problems have returned, and happen frequently when transferring
large files like everyone else's does. Any time there is a large file transfer or large amounts of data being
loaded into memory, I can expect a "lul" in performance for a bit.

Like everyone else, I get a message in the event log that says "An error was detected .... with *drivername*
operation didn't respond within timeout period. I know that my drives are not going bad because of me
eliminating my problems by switching back to W2K years ago. It has to be a problem within the OS. It
was the same with SP1 or SP2. I've not tried any of the solutions listed here because I'm at work. I have
all the latest possible drivers, and I know that my hardware isn't flakey.

It's somewhat of a relief to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this phenomenon. I don't know if this
sheds some light on the subject or not. Maybe someone somewhere will have a definate solution. If anyone
has any suggetions for me, I'm open to them.

LIAM ANASTAD Jul 18, 2005, 08:03am EDT Report Abuse
I had the same error after installing a Samsung SATA HDD.
Cured it by using native Windows SATA drivers rather than the Nforce ones that my board uses.
I noticed that the error occured always after the Nvidia driver was installed.

Judah Young Jul 23, 2005, 02:53am EDT Report Abuse

Peter Meinl Jul 24, 2005, 04:16am EDT Report Abuse
I had the same problem with WD Raptor disks and XP SP2.

Installig the new NVIDIA drivers dated July 15, 2005 solved it:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.66.html

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.