Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1788 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 07:57pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Mark Foreman Jul 25, 2005, 09:27am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Is your harddisk access crawling and CPU-bound? Continuous Error 9's and Warning 51's? This fix worked for me and was FREE!!! Have a look at your primary and secondary devices in Device Manager. It turned out that my harddisk and cd drive were both running in PIO mode!!!... for those who done know, this stands for Programmed IO, and is where all data transfers go through the CPU rather than straight to RAM.

In the device manager properties for your primary and secondary channels, all modern drives should be set to "Use DMA if available", then underneath it should report what mode is actually being used (WinXP by the way). This article *** http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm *** describes a registry edit needed to get windows to recognise that your drive can handle this more advanced mode. See the section titled "Re-enable DMA using the Registry Editor". A defrag will help too!

The basics are that windows downgrades the drive's speed if errors are detected, but when the drive is too slow, more errors occur, so it becomes a degenerative cycle. I speculate that the original errors must be hardware based, but the solution is all Microsoft!

I also speculate that buying a PCI controller card has worked for many only because windows recognises it a new IDE interface and is yet to downgrade the drives' performances.

Note that my problem had nothing to do with hyperthreading either... i had the same problems on a celeron system. Interestingly enough, it seems the problems all began when i started using SUSPEND. Just something to think about.

Good luck folks.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Chris Donalds Aug 29, 2005, 04:44pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
My Event ID: 51 Problems Solved:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64, 3000+
RAM: Kingston 512MB PC3200 DDR
HD1: WD SATA 120GB
MB: ASUS K8S-MX (SiS Chipset)
VGA: Radeon 9250SE 128MB AGP

This error kept occurring at random times especially when there was heavy system memory usage. I ran extensive hardware tests to determine if the memory, Mobo, CPU or hard drive was at fault (including replacing the memory) and nothing seemed to be physically wrong with the hardware. The problem persisted.

I called Western Digital and was told that the problem occurred when XP Home is either sending buffered data from memory to the swap file on disk, or from the swap file on disk back to memory, and sees the HDD as being part of a RAID array (which it obviously was not as it is a single SATA HDD on the system). I was able to correct this problem by removing the master/slaver jumper from the back of the HDD.

Note however that this applies to systems running an SiS chipset with onboard SATA RAID. This does not rule out that there is something physically wrong with the HDD or other component. A physical problem should be ruled out before this possible solution is applied.

Chris Donalds Aug 29, 2005, 04:45pm EDT Report Abuse

This error kept occurring at random times especially when there was heavy system memory usage. I ran extensive hardware tests to determine if the memory, Mobo, CPU or hard drive was at fault (including replacing the memory) and nothing seemed to be physically wrong with the hardware. The problem persisted.

I called Western Digital and was told that the problem occurred when XP Home is either sending buffered data from memory to the swap file on disk, or from the swap file on disk back to memory, and sees the HDD as being part of a RAID array (which it obviously was not as it is a single SATA HDD on the system). I was able to correct this problem by removing the master/slaver jumper from the back of the HDD.

Note however that this applies to systems running an SiS chipset with onboard SATA RAID. This does not rule out that there is something physically wrong with the HDD or other component. A physical problem should be ruled out before this possible solution is applied.

Chris Donalds Aug 29, 2005, 04:45pm EDT Report Abuse

Steve Burke Aug 30, 2005, 04:55am EDT Report Abuse
I didnt think that there was a notion of Master/Slave with Serial ATA (SATA).

egd Aug 31, 2005, 08:44am EDT Report Abuse
Since my previous posts to this thread I've purchased a SATA II compliant mobo and lo and behold all the issues are gone - using the same HDD's on the new board as I was in the SATA I flavour. For those interested, the board I'm referring to is the Abit AW8-MAX http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail....YPE=LGA775

Ross Nightingale Sep 01, 2005, 12:34am EDT Report Abuse
Hi all,

i have just sat down for the last hour reading all 9 pages of posts. This problem started ocurring on my server yesterday, though i only noticed it today. Here's a quick rundown of what happened:

Yesterday, my server, for no aparrent reason would not boot. It's an SBS2003 machine and has been running without isses for about a year. Basically it would pass the 'loading windows 2003 server screen' then just go blank. No activity of any kind, coudln't even get in through safe mode. After trying evrtything i could think of, i ran a repair on 2003 server as a last resort (tried booting off cd into command prompt and running chkdsk, and gave me errors saying it could not run a checkdisk because of unrecoverable problems or somesuch thing), so i could get in and back up my data.

Eventually i dedicded to reinstall SBS 2003, which appeared to fix my boot woes, although i did notice a few unusual quirks throughout the install process - it locked up once while in windows installing the SBS components. After reconfiguring my whole server and the rest of the domain, it appeared fine and ran fine for 1 day. This morning my server was frozen, and when i reset, it would get to a logon screen, so i logged in. It locked up shortly after, then ever since i cannot get past the 'loading computer settings' screen just before the logon dialog would normally appear.

The only way i can get in now is safe mode - safe mode with network support does the same thing as above. I checked the event log and noticed the event ID 51, as well as 11 and 9. This appeared to be about the point where it was freezing up. Now a little about my hardware - which should prove interesting as nobody else appears to have anything like this configuration:

Tyan K7 Thunder, Dual Athlon MP 2800+
Seagate U160 SCSI HDD as main OS install drive connected to onboard adaptec controller (previously configured with another identical drive as mirror through 2003 but not anymore)
Adaptec 2410SA RAID Enclosure kit (includes a hotswap bay and a adaptec 2410sa 64-Bit PCI SATA RAID Card)
4x Seagate Barracuda 200Gb Disks running in RAID5 (not NCQ drives)
Sony IDE CD-RW / DVD Combo Drive

As i mentioned, i have never had a problem with this configuration until the other day. The 64-bit PCI slots in my board are only 33mhz, and the 2410sa card can support 66mhz but this has only ever appeared to impact performance, no errors.

I have tried many of the suggestions that might be applicable to my setup from previous posts with no success (disabled write cache on controller and disks, set windows to both programs and system cache etc.)

This is my main business machine and right now i'm screwed because i can hardly work. I'm starting to think about going and purchasing a new opteron board and cpu's, but then again there's no guarantee that it will solve my problems from what i have read here, and that's an expensive investment just to troubleshoot a problem. Then again, i don;t want to spend a whole day reinstalling the damn server a second time, only to have this issue recurr.

All my exchange data, company data, SQL and other files are on the RAID5 system, which appears to be the problem \Device\Harddisk1\DR0 and there is heavy I/O load when booting as my exchange stores, SQL databases etc. are quite large.

I hope this information is useful to someone out there, because right now i'm out of ideas.

PS. I have sold clients servers in this config, except with the opteron boards i mentioned and they are running flawlessly (for now at least). I don't know if it is a drive issue, the controller, the fact that I/O is limited to 33mhz, or if the old K7 Thunder is just on it's way out.

Unless i can find a solution today, i'm heading out to buy a new mobo and CPU's. Would love any input anyone might have, and i will let you all know hw it pans out. Cheers,

Ross

Steve Burke Sep 01, 2005, 05:13am EDT Report Abuse
You said the following:
(tried booting off cd into command prompt and running chkdsk, and gave me errors saying it could not run a checkdisk because of unrecoverable problems or somesuch thing).

Can you run a chkdsk now? You need to be able to run that chkdsk /f.
If you are having problems running it - can you take out the RAID 5 config for a bit, and run chkdsk indvidually?
Depending on what the manufacturer of your hd's are (sorry I forget) some of them have diagonistic tools you can download and use - similar to chkdsk.

I experienced all the problems you were having - problems booting and all the like - even loading personal settings etc. You need to get that chkdsk to mark bad sectors etc.

In my opinion there are some errors on them hard drives of yours.
Best of Luck
-steve

egd Sep 01, 2005, 06:04am EDT Report Abuse

juls Sep 01, 2005, 04:14pm EDT Report Abuse
Did any of u tryed to enlarge your virtual memory or change the location of the paging?
My computer->system properties->advanced->performance->settings->advanced->virtual memory->change
it should be like 1.5 times more than your ram. u can also set the system to use paging only on c: drive (or some other drive that u have) .
hope that it helps u.
juls

Intel Pentium 3.0Ghz 775
Intel D915GEVL 775
512 MB DDR2
WD 80GB SATA
Gainward NVidia 7300 Ge-Force PCI-E DDR2 256MB

~There is no place like 127.0.0.1~
egd Sep 01, 2005, 04:22pm EDT Report Abuse
in the next few weeks (once I've sorted out my storage issues) I willl blow away my Abit IC7-G box and install SuSE or Redhat on it using the same hard drives as I've had the problems with under Windows 2003 & XP and then report the results here.

the dude Sep 03, 2005, 11:38am EDT Report Abuse
hi there,

recently i built myself an athlon64 box (asus a8n-sli premium) installed winxp sp2 (clean) with a sata harddisk (sata 1.0 extension II)

after the installation of the latest nvidia 6.66 platform drivers i started getting these event id 51 errors, but not always, and so far only during boot time..

please see my thread that i tried to start and discuss in the usenet microsoft windows xp hardware groups

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.hard...fbc5818bfd
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reade...US&p=1

did anyone in here actually resolve this error completely? i read that some new nvidia drivers resolved it for somebody, but for me it all started with that driver....

any word of any of the manufacturers yet?

thanks and cheers.

Glenn H Sep 05, 2005, 11:05am EDT Report Abuse
Okay, I seem to have a unique-ish problem.

Some times when I boot up my PC it reboots my Win XP at the Windows Load screen, with the blue load bar thing. Today it gave me one in the form of a BSOD, although too fast to read. The thing I've noticed about these reboots is they seem to happen once I've installed software the previous day or boot. This doesn't happen with all software. For example, I went days without installing software, then I install Dawn of War, and I get the problem. When I first got this PC I got it after installing Ventrilo on one boot, UT2004 on another.

I don't see where the problem is coming from - I run 'last known working config' or go to system restore through safe mode, and each time and it works perfectly and my system will go back up. I can then install software and it'll work fine. It hasn't happened to me when I've not installed software, so I'm assuming that is the problem. Any help?

I uninstalled the FEAR sp demo last night and I'm guessing that's what caused it this time. I looked at the event viewer this morning to look at the first error (and there's 21 different disk warnings, with different data but the same description), this is the first.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 51
Date: 05/09/2005
Time: 15:11:37
User: N/A
Computer: GLENNPC
Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00680003 00b60001 00000000 80040033
0010: 0000012d 00000000 00000000 00000000
0020: 00000000 00000000 00000408 00000000
0030: ffffffff 00000003 04000040 00000000
0040: 120a2000 40200340 00000000 0000000a
0050: 00000000 8a313fa8 00000000 8a313d78
0060: 00000000 0ea8f51f a80e0028 00001ff5
0070: 0000007d 00000000 00000000 00000000
0080: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

Any help? This has only ever happened after un/installing something before I reboot or startup the next day. Although I seem to be able to get away with installing stuff sometimes, and if I run the last known good configuration it seems to work fine - as in, no system restoring needed, it just uses the config I last shut my computer down in.

Dig Dug Sep 10, 2005, 11:14am EDT Report Abuse
Finnaly I solved my case... Had the problem from the beginning and always said it was a software problem.

Now I use VIA onboard S-ATA with 2 Maxtor SATA disks. Had problem 51 after installing Windows 2000-SP4.
VIA just released the 5.10a driver version, I installed it and VOILA! no more event ID 51's!!!
Thanks VIA for solving the problem (I haven't seen any info about the changes made to the driver, but it works!).

Hayden Kirk Sep 15, 2005, 05:21pm EDT Report Abuse

Tim Clark Oct 05, 2005, 01:25pm EDT Report Abuse
could anybody send me a link or email me the hotfix mentioned in 830051?

thanks
tim

joe lunch Oct 13, 2005, 07:43pm EDT Report Abuse
What fixed this for us was updating our onboard 3512 siliconimage raid controler drivers in win 2k from version 1.0.0.5 or such to 1.3.61. The mobo is a GA-7N400 Pro2. The driver is available from the http://www.siliconimage.com/support/ website. This driver isn't listed on the gigabyte website for the main board.

ditto ditto Oct 14, 2005, 03:51am EDT Report Abuse
I still get the error in spite of installing the latest chipset drivers.

But it wouldn't surprise me if you get the error mentioned @ http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003...a9440.mspx if you run DMDIAG -V >dmdiag.txt from a command prompt (the ">dmdiag.txt" writes the data to a text file by that name instead of printing it on screen). But in any event, I can't find any info on the web on how to fix this one:
"ERROR: scan operation failed:
A format error was found in the private region of the disk"

Similarly, Seagate's "Seatools" diags displays the following results when from a floppy:

Diagnostic Results:

Full Diagnostic Scan Result: Passed

File Structure Test Result:

Partition 1 (NTFS ) Result: Failed with critical Errors

The following errors were found while scanning the volume:
- One or more errors were found in the index
- One or more errors were found in metadata file records

Running CHKDSK with either the "/P" or "/R" switches doesn't fix these and I suspect it's because they're located in that "private region of the hard drive".

By the way, to run the "DMDIAG -V" command, you have to install the Win XP support tools to the hard drive. To do that, insert the XP CD, choose "Browse this CD" --> Support --> Tools and run the "setup.exe" file in that folder. Choose to install the "Complete" installation and then follow the prompts.

Andrea Guglielmi Oct 31, 2005, 06:05am EST Report Abuse
Hi,
I read almost all of this thread and I don't know where to look...
I have an ASUS P5GD2 MoBo with 2 SATA HDs (Maxtor 80GB), 1 EIDE HD (Maxtor 120GB) and 2 DVD Recorders (1 NEC and 1 Pioneer), the integrated Silicon controller is disabled and the ICH6 is configured as IDE mode (no RAID). I have the 2 sata disks on ICH6 sata1 and sata2 "master" channels, the eide on the first channel of the "raid" IDE controller and the two dvd recorders on the "stand-alone" IDE controller.
Evry time i power up the PC I had an ID 51 error that says that I have an error on \Device\Harddisk0\D (I think is a trunked message) so it is hard to understand which disk (better say which controller) has the error.
Yesterday I read that someone really had problems on his/her disk so i planned a chkdsk on reboot...but I forget that.
Today, when I first turned on the PC, the chkdsk started...and no errors on Event Log!

EDIT: Used dmdiag and it looks like \Device\Harddisk0\D(R0) is my boot disk.

ditto ditto Oct 31, 2005, 01:45pm EST Report Abuse
Yipeeee! I finally resolved the problem! It's caused by having NCQ (Native Command Queuing) enabled. To fix it, go to the "Primary Channel" for the "IDE/ATAPI controller" in "Device Manager" and remove the checkmark from "Enable Command Queuing".

I emailed Seagate about this to ask them if there's any way to disable NCQ permanently, but according to the response I received, if the option isn't available in the BIOS, the only option is by the means described above.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.