Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 664 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s April 04 - 09:18pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Rainer Wagner Dec 05, 2004, 05:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Hi,

this seems to be an absolutely crazy bug.

I've solved my problems - i've changed the two ASUS Mainboards P4S800D (SIS 655FX) against two
ASUS P4S800 boards (SIS648FX) and the problems have gone. That's no joke !!

After then changing the appropriate SIS drivers, the machines works now with the same installation as before but with no errors anymore. I've read some posts in some other forums e.g. in France, Germany etc.
The members reported some problems with the ASUS P4S800D and especially the SIS655FX chipset,
the errors 34 & 51 occured because of delayed writings on the disks. I've tried almost everything with the old board, changed the hdd, ram, installed w2k three times and once xp. The weird thing was that it worked with
w2k and sp1 and xp and sp1 without any problems. When i've changed the installations to sp4 or sp2 and
installed the appropriate hotfixes the problems appeared again. There seems to be some weird side effects with some chipsets and the new service packs and hotfixes.
Therefore i believe there's no general solution for those kind of problems, the previous posts indicates this also.
(now working three days with the two systems with no errors anymore)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Moto Guzzi Dec 06, 2004, 01:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I have also noticed that the entry in Eventviewer is "BackTimed". It lies bwteen entries with different times.

I think theres enough reason, not to re-format at this stage.

I t is very interesting to see different MB's and chipsets are involved.

This is a BUG the Industry has to pay attention to, and relieve us from. I cannot go and buy another PC in the hope it will be cured.

Question:Who else with this bug has NAV/NIS/NSWorks ?

Udo Rietschel Dec 07, 2004, 10:28am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same error (it was something like timeout waiting for device \Device\Harddisk0\D or something similar before -- deleted the eventlog, so I can't remember) with Asus A8V, Athlon64 3500+ (Winchester), 1GB RAM (Infineon 3rd), 300GB Maxtor SATA as normal disc - not RAID (which is the one which gives me the error, regardless on which SATA port it is attached (the A8V has 4 ports on 2 controllers, one VIA, one Promise)) -- I also tried different SATA cables -- running Windows XP (SP2). I installed every driver and BIOS update I could get my hands on.

This is driving me NUTS (I cannot disable the SATA disc, because this is the one I am booting my system from) -- I am going to search for a very high bridge to jump off it in the next few days!

Udo Rietschel Dec 07, 2004, 11:56am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I really tried desperately for days ... could this be the solution???

after reading the whole internet again ;) -- ok, almost, I tried the following and it seemed to have worked -- even if I have no Idea why.

-> I replaced the processor driver with a previousely installed one <-

device manager/processor/<your processor>/driver/installed driver/YES/reboot ... problem solved!?

at least the error seems to have gone ... at least it did not appear while defragging my disc which happend all the time before

please report back here if you tried this solution and it worked for you as well...

Moto Guzzi Dec 07, 2004, 02:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ya, that was how I solved it with SP1, but after I installed SP2, these methods does not work anymore. I have literally uninstalled everything from Devicemanger and let XP re-install it again, but no luck.

I am now working on the following, seeing that the time the event occurred, is "backtimed" in relation to the other entries in Eventviewr around it. ???

>>I am now refraining from logging in straight after boot...I walk away and come back after 5 min, then log in.
So far no such entry...........

I would like to present this to Microsoft for investigation, but cannot find an E-Mail address to post it....??

Duane Schliebe Dec 18, 2004, 04:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have an EPOX 8RDA3+ motherboard with a Silicon Image Si3112A SATA/RAID controller and have experienced this problem.

I wanted to share what I have found so far and a possible solution.

The SATA/RAID always caused the following errors in Event Viewer:

EVENT ID 51: Error during a paging operation
EVENT ID 9: Controller Time Out Si3112A
EVENT ID 11: Disk Error

The main hard disk (OS) is of the parallel variety and is connected normally to the motherboard.
2 Hitachi 80GB SATA drives are attached to the SATA ports on the motherboard.

Since the beginning there were problems--Format did not complete successfully, slow performance or no performance, large files copies (>100MB) resulted in lock-ups of the copy procedure.

A new motherboard helped the situation. Testing the configuration with Passmark Performance Test v. 5.0 showed acceptable speed but big drop outs on the graph (data transfer were stop dead, then pick up again).
At the end I also traded the Hitachi hard drives for the Samsung equivalent, no change whatsoever. Event viewer continued to log the above errors, large copies continued to freeze. There was no difference if the drives were configured as RAID or just separate.

Finally gave up and bought a Promise SATA150TX2 Plus PCI card, and installed it.
Since this time I have not seen a single error message in Event Viewer and have used the drives extensively.

Of course the Silicon Image drivers and BIOS were all updated to the latest version.

I blame a very poor quality product from Silicon Image for my ills, maybe someone can comment on their experience with Promise products.

Duane

Moto Guzzi Dec 19, 2004, 03:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My problem misteriously disappeared so far after I did the following:

>I uninstalled IAA yet again, rebbooted, but to my very surprise found that the file you were ask to check if IAA was installed successfully, appeared correctly. This led me belive that MS has taken care of IAA in XP-PRO in such a way that it it naturally installed, but of course now, you cannot access IAA as a separate program to see DMA-5 for disk speed etc., and it does not show in Add/Remove programs.

>So it looks like if I should re-install IAA now, it would be on top of an already installed one ???

Duane Schliebe Dec 25, 2004, 01:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have had these problems only with a Silicon Image Si3112A controller.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I tried a Promise controller and had no problems whatsover. Unfortunately the Promise controller I purchased did not have RAID support.

Now I have a Promise controller with RAID support.

This card is behaving perfectly, no issues whatsover with event ID 51, 9 or 11.
Event viewer is clean and the RAID 1 (Mirror) array is used extensively.

Original controller: Silicon Image Si3112A mounted on EPOX 8RDA3+ motherboard, 2 Samsung 80GB SATA drives. Windows XP SP2, drivers and BIOS updated on controller card, motherboard replaced once.
Now using Promise FastTrax S150 TX2plus controller in PCI slot, working without a hitch.

Comments, anyone?

Bob Stewart Jan 01, 2005, 02:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Having very similiar problems.

I had loads of Event ID: 51. Turned off Virtual Memory completely. Solved the 51 code problem.

BUT>>>>>

Now I have loads of ID 11 and ID 9 problems. Microsoft suggest a faulty cable could be the culprit. I'll go out and get one today, but something tells me that's not going to solve the problem.

I have 2 80gig Maxtor SATA drives, DFI PS83 Motherboard, Intel 865PE chipset. 1.5gigs RAM. 3.0ghz Pentium IV.

I've flash the Bios with the latest and updated with the latest chipset drivers. I'm wondering if I have a bad controller or other MoBo issue. I need you guys to help me with that.

By the way, is the fact that we all have muliple drives the common link? Perhaps we jumped on the SATA bandwagon a little to early. Please let me know if you do not have 2 drives.

Also, I am curious if everyone with the ID 51 issues gets the 9s and 11s after turning off virtual memory.

Duane Schliebe Jan 01, 2005, 02:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Bob, please read the above.

I started by replacing the motherboard, tech support blaming a bad SATA controller, this being cause #1 of such problems if drivers and BIOS were up to date, mine were.

Drives were changed, cables were changed, SATA support on my EPOX board includes RAID support, drives were tried individually and in RAID array, result always the same--frustration...

Do yourself a favor, don't think about it any longer. A Promise-based PCI card costs only $25 if you want SATA support only, for RAID support I paid $60, Newegg is a good start.

I'm not a rep. for Promise, I can only speak from my experience after literally days of searching and trying to find a solution.

I use my RAID array VERY HARD, and have yet to see any error of any kind which used to be all the time=all the time frustration.

SATA technology is young, you pointed this out, but Promise got it right, in my opinion. I don't know if your SATA controller is an SI product, either way, the only ones I have gotten to work so far are from Promise.

Good luck, let me know if things work out.

Duane

Bob Stewart Jan 01, 2005, 07:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Duane,

I think I'm taking your advice. I believe that the Bios isn't able to allow SATA and EIDE on the same bus on my motherboard. I think the PCI card might do the trick.

HOWEVER -

I changed a few things and all of a sudden, things seem stable. I turned off hibernate and I change the Memory usage setting to background instead of programs.

Duane Schliebe Jan 01, 2005, 07:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
everyone's problem's different, hope you find the solution to yours whatever it may be.

Do you have an Silicon Image controller?
They are out there and many people use and like them.

In my case I'm committed to the path I chose, the problem is solved and I am a believer in Promise. A good result without changing anything, that's the way it should be in my opinion.

Good luck

Moto Guzzi Jan 02, 2005, 02:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have only one disk at a time connected[3x different types]......Microsoft & Intel should start paying attention to this problem, cause diff MB's, Chipsets, disks are involved.

Con somebody with MS contacts forward this to them.......We cannot write code to get it solved...!!

Bob Stewart Jan 03, 2005, 04:14am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Duane,

You were right!! Although I ended up getting an Adaptec PCI Sata Contoller, not a Promise, because of price. My computer feels bulletproof!

I think that there is a general problem with motherboard sata controllers because they're trying to integrate too many standards on the same bus.

Anyway, now I'm getting DMA mode 6 rather than the mode 4 or PIO I was getting on the motherboard controller. I could tell the difference immediately.

Card cost $49.99 at Fry's. Just missed a $10 rebate.

Thanks for your advice!

Duane Schliebe Jan 03, 2005, 08:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Bob, glad to hear about the good result, especially because I considered not posting my experience, it's a bit of trouble, but after learning so much from these forums in times of need it seemed like the right thing to do.

Interesting comment about the motherboard/SATA-RAID chip combo specifically because the PCI card you bought does use a Silicon Image 3112a controller! And so many people swear by stand-alone cards with this controller, read the reviews in NewEgg, all the PCI cards are SI-based except for Promise, never thought about the integration into the motherboard angle, just went straight for the sure thing--was frustrated and had money to blow.

Maybe the conclusion is motherboard-integrated SATA/RAID is not ready yet, my stand alone PCI is absolutely bullet-proof, like you mentioned, and I've tortured it doing multiple copies at once while running applications on it, etc..
Not a hitch...

Hope this all leads somewhere at least towards a solution towards the problem.

I'm going to send this link to Silicon image, maybe they'll read it.

Bob Stewart Jan 03, 2005, 08:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Duane,

Was your original problem with the SIIG an onboard controller?

If so, how many others on this thread have an onboard sata/IDE controller? My recommendation is to by a PCI controller at the local shop that has a good return policy, see if it fixes the problem, and either keep it or take it back. I wish I would have tried this months ago. It would have saved a lot of effort and heartache.

I noticed that Intel has a new replacement for ICH5 - maybe related to the problem?

Duane Schliebe Jan 04, 2005, 08:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't know Bob. Glancing over the posts I see IDE drives, SCSI in RAID, also SATA/RAID, nobody mentions on-board or not, I assume most are not.
It seems common though--software blames hardware and vice-versa.
In my case, possibly in your case as well, it's clear.
Everything else was changed except for the controller, before--problems, afterwards--peace...

I wrote to Silicon Image with a link to this web site and hope they read it, at least to clarify their fault in the matter, what I consider to be substantial.
Given the amount of SI controllers out there I wouldn't be surprised if the problem weren't much larger.

Don't know how this could be presented to Microsoft, will look on their support website, maybe there's an opportunity to drop them a line there...

Take care, good luck to all, I hope the problem is solved.

Moto Guzzi Jan 06, 2005, 01:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 06, 2005, 01:29pm EST

Seeing that Microsoft has the OS, they should take part to solve this. Sometimes more has to attend.

In old systems if an e-prom was reprogrammed to solve problems, you ask them what did you do...The replay is always=It was a timing problem...

So lets get this timing problem fixed without replacing hardware !!! Microsoft & Intel that is !!!
>Microsoft allows the OEMS to modify the "hal.dll" files to suite their hardware.

Duane Schliebe Jan 09, 2005, 03:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
interesting you mention timing, in the BIOS there is an option for changing some aspects of this, in the case of the EPOX boards it's called PCI latency timer, mine is set to 32 (can be up to 255 I think), this is the amount of time any one PCI device, or in this case, on board controller can command the bus, at least this is the way I understood it.
There was definitely a communication problem, I changed this setting to 128 at one time during my trials, it improving things significantly, still did not fix the root problem--copy freezes, errors, basic flaky behavior of hard drives.

Hard drives keep running perfectly with this new Promise controller, can't say enough about them...

John Smith Jan 17, 2005, 09:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've gone through enough IDE hard drives and computers to conclude that this event ID is the result of a defect in the IDE hard drive circuit logic itself and an early sign of hard drive failure. It seems that each individual hard drive has different levels of susceptibility. Perhaps it's due to an electrical static vulnerability in the circuit logic, or a serious manufacturing quality control issue as they move their manufacturing plants from country to country in Asia. The point is that some of my hard drives have been subject to heavy I/O and are old but work great, while others just plain fail. I use Maxtor drives, but I hear that other IDE brands are also having this problem. The 200gig drives made in Singapore are the worst and I avoid them like the plague.

Anyway, this problem has been going on for YEARS without satisfactory solutions. I believe its one of those defects the industry won't fix until there's a class action.

I've switched cables, used different controllers, upgraded firmware, etc. etc. Once a hard drive begins to get these errors, they never go away and they follow the hard drive if I install it into another computer.

Probably for most people, it happens now and then and they don't even notice. But when the events happen often enough, other symptoms include slow performance, and if you want to format the drive it takes a day.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.