Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1170 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 06:22pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Adam Callac Feb 14, 2006, 08:17pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I have a WD 200 GB sata2 HD and it is the second one that i have had in a matter of a few months. Recently i have been haveing problems with booting, freezing and time consuming. This is what happend last time and it ended in the HD dieing. Also i am getting a warning that my CPU Fan is failing when it is running fine?!

I have read most of the other posts and it dosent seem like anyone knows how to fix this reocurring problem. If anyone does know how to stop this error i would muchly appriciate it.

I am running a AMD 64 3200+ at 2.2ghz

ASUS A8N - e board

2x512 mb of kingmax ram at 433mhz

I hope that this can help.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Bill Speers Feb 16, 2006, 12:08am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation

Alistair Hunt Feb 18, 2006, 03:50am EST Report Abuse
Having just built a new system from components (and expecting some problems!) I had this exact same problem with my Hitachi (HGST) SATA II drive.

My machine has the following spec;
AMD X2 3800+
ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard
Corsair Dual Channel 1GB RAM
ASUS DRW-1608P2S DVD Drive
Seagate Baracuda SATA II (80GB)
Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 (250GB)
Windows XP Prof. with SP2

To cut a long story short I tried another SATA II drive in my machine (Seagate Baracuda) and still had the same problem. After reading some on the posts on this thread I tried doing a CHKDISK and that indicated no problems. The next thing I tried was reverting my SATA and PATA drivers back to the MS originals and so far (fingers crossed!) this seems to have worked.

As an extra point to this issue I was finding that this problem seemed to cause issues running setup programs and extracting ZIP files - files woulf be corrupted or incomplete. This also seems to have been resolved.

Duane Schliebe Feb 18, 2006, 08:20am EST Report Abuse
Good Morning,

The first time I posted regarding this issue was in December 2004, see below. I posted several times since then with an update, here is the latest:

After a year and a few months, the Promise SATA card is still working, no errors at all.

Are there now driver updates for the Si3112A SATA/RAID controller? If a fix has been found since this time, I may switch back and sell the Promise SATA card, any thoughts?

Hope that everyone posting is finding solutions!

December 2004:

I have an EPOX 8RDA3+ motherboard with a Silicon Image Si3112A SATA/RAID controller and have experienced this problem.

I wanted to share what I have found so far and a possible solution.

The SATA/RAID always caused the following errors in Event Viewer:

EVENT ID 51: Error during a paging operation
EVENT ID 9: Controller Time Out Si3112A
EVENT ID 11: Disk Error

The main hard disk (OS) is of the parallel variety and is connected normally to the motherboard.
2 Hitachi 80GB SATA drives are attached to the SATA ports on the motherboard.

Since the beginning there were problems--Format did not complete successfully, slow performance or no performance, large files copies (>100MB) resulted in lock-ups of the copy procedure.

A new motherboard helped the situation. Testing the configuration with Passmark Performance Test v. 5.0 showed acceptable speed but big drop outs on the graph (data transfer were stop dead, then pick up again).
At the end I also traded the Hitachi hard drives for the Samsung equivalent, no change whatsoever. Event viewer continued to log the above errors, large copies continued to freeze. There was no difference if the drives were configured as RAID or just separate.

Finally gave up and bought a Promise SATA150TX2 Plus PCI card, and installed it.
Since this time I have not seen a single error message in Event Viewer and have used the drives extensively.

Of course the Silicon Image drivers and BIOS were all updated to the latest version.

I blame a very poor quality product from Silicon Image for my ills, maybe someone can comment on their experience with Promise products.

Bill Speers Feb 18, 2006, 01:49pm EST Report Abuse
This post is turning into a promise commercial.

Anyone else have solutions?

Duane Schliebe Feb 18, 2006, 02:35pm EST Report Abuse
The posts are intended to help those who are looking for possible solutions. It it doesn't work for each case, that's fine.

I had a problem, installed the Promise card, the problem went away. And now I have time to do things that are really important to me.

I hope you all find a solution that works for you as well.

Robert Dudley Feb 24, 2006, 12:57pm EST Report Abuse
The error was solved on a dozen Dell GX150's by uninstalling the Intel IDE Accelerator driver. We were getting maybe 2 or 3 of these logged on each machine weekly - nothing after dumping the accelerator.

This IDE accelerator isn't used on any newer machines - if you have a SATA, chances are you don't have this particular accelerator.

Just goes to show that this error is a catchall category for a LOT of different issues - with different fixes.

Gregg Frank Feb 24, 2006, 03:43pm EST Report Abuse
Thank you everyone who posted here. I've got a Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA Hard drive. By disabling NCQ, they errors are now gone. Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Pro.

David Fairclough Feb 28, 2006, 09:02pm EST Report Abuse
I'd like to thank H. Sterner for his post on Event 51 - I have almost an identical setup except my mobo is an Asus A8N-E, same hard-drive and of course same Nvidia driver. By disabling command queuing via the Nvidia disk driver on my Hitachi Digital 160GB hard drive my 51 events went away, and I now experience a slightly more responsive system.

I don't often post on these forums, and I've been in the PC business since they shipped memory in tubes. Some of you may remember that! The net however, is that forums like this help support folks like me who just want these errors to go away and be assured it really isn't a hard drive problem (which it isn't) but the same old problem of vendors not staying in sync with the features and functions available in all of our hardware.

Thanks again H. Sterner.

Arnaud LE MEILLOUR Mar 11, 2006, 02:02pm EST Report Abuse
Hi,

Horror ... this is really a terrible bug.
For me it's with motherboard ASUS A8N-E and hdd matrox SATA160 "6L160M0"
I install system without prob and after 3 week system boot is blokked
I first think about clear hard or driver prob but nothing find. I reinstall all without prob and after 4 hour of work same blooking. GGGRrrrr
In event just this error 51. I read a lot of thing but I can t explain why it has worked during time and bloke suddenly ?
If there is no really hard or soft prob but just incompatibility .. I will replace hard drive with an other one clone hdd and see if it solve the prob.
I already check option "Optimize for quick removal". but why and where change Nvidia option whish explain in last post ?please.

I hope resolve these bug soon.. for have good night. as before

sorry for my english
Arnaud

kriti kanabar Mar 16, 2006, 07:57am EST Report Abuse
Hi All,

I am seeing some similar issues with my Asus Motherboard - P5GD1-VM/S, where is shows Errors 51 and 9 constantly and then for Days/Weeks and then it doesnt show up.

Im exteremely concerned as I have changed the SATA Cable the HDD even a fresh install however I cannot get rid of this. It seems to be veru random and Intermittet... I dont know if the Onboard SATA Controller is at fault.

Any help would be appreciated.

D. D. Mar 17, 2006, 02:03am EST Report Abuse
Hi, i have the same event logged in my "event viewer" in windows XP.
I have a Vaio desktop, 1.8gigP4, Brand new Seagate 120gig,7200rpm,8megram
hard drive. My box is about 4yrs old. I was told at boot-up that that my maxtor
60gig drive that came with the puter was going to fail, so i replaced it with the
Segate of a larger size. Actually i have never used the event viewer before, but
after reading about the feature at another computer forum, i decided to use it as
it also includes info about the software, hard drive and other "managment features".
i noticed the "Event ID - 51" error listed about once a day. I thought is might be
tied to the booting-up process. I read several pages at this forum after doing a
Google search for the Event ID - 51. I noticed one poster stated that he had
installed "Intel Application Accellerator" on his computer and he un-installed it
and the problem went away. I noticed advice from some posters to get some
kind of "controller Card" for the hard drive, or buy a new hard drive altogether!!!
Well, i first thought to try the one posters' simple solution, AND it worked.
I uninstalled "Intel Application Accelorator" and the problem is gone. No more
Event ID-51 errors. i suggest this solution to anyone who has this application
on their computer showing the Event ID-51 Error ( as long as the error is the same
as listed in this post topic's title i.e: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device
\Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation). Removing this program in no way
affects, or harms the computer except maybe a little bit slowing of some applications.
A lot cheaper solution than a controller card or new hard drive, which may, or may not,
solve the problem. I think the poster was right. He stated " even fast processors and
hard drives may not be fast enough to work with this application accellerator, AND i have
noticed that my recent visit to Intel's website states they will no longer support this
program.

kriti kanabar Mar 17, 2006, 05:47am EST Report Abuse
Thanks for the information however I dont have the Intel Application Accelerator running.

This is extremely bizzare, as I get the errors and now it has stopped, seems to be very intermittent.

Adding to the Error this systems also reboots intermiitently and on BIOS Boot doesnt detect the Hard Drive.

Thanks

Richard Mar 18, 2006, 08:06pm EST Report Abuse
Hi all!
Got a new machine installed this weekend.
Everything worked fine 1 1/2 day until i began to update the system (window update).
Running MS MCE 2005.
I have now disabled the NCQ but not restarted yet. Felt that i had to post something
while i am here...
Is it just me that have noticed that alot of all those people that have this problem also have a Asus Mobo??!!
I have seen many Asus A8N... while reading this thread :(
I have a Asus A8N-E.

Will tell if my disabled NCQ helped ME anyway. See ya!

Richard Mar 19, 2006, 01:48am EST Report Abuse
Hello again!

Just want to say that it Still Works :)

/R

Janez Novak Mar 19, 2006, 11:47am EST Report Abuse
I have same problem too,+ I get blue screen,system reboot & other annoying stuff.My hdtach read speed falled from 150Mb/s to 45Mb/s.HDD is one month old, no problems until now.

SYSTEM:
Asrock K7Upgrade 880
HDD Western Digital 200GB 8Mb cache SATA
ATA 133 Seagate 20GB
2x256DDR
Sempron 2200+

I installed the newest drivers,but nothing happened...very strange =_=

Ronald Larsen Mar 23, 2006, 12:01pm EST Report Abuse
This problem is certainly a weird one. I have a computer I built for a automotive repair business. Has Asus P4P800E MB. it ran fine for 2 years one day the cat at the shop stepped on the keyboard and they started getting lockups getting the event 51 and 9. But when I bring it my shop to check it out it runs perfect, no events at all. When we put it back in her shop it starts the event 51 and 9 all over again.Hardware Diags show no probs. real strange. We installed an APC to make sure it wasn't a Ele. current problem and that did not help. Just can't figure out why it won't run their but it does here.

Ron

Mark Smith Apr 03, 2006, 07:07pm EDT Report Abuse
Damm this problem has been going on for a while hasn't it.
I've got an Asus K8N4-E motherboard and a Seagate Baracuda 7.200.9 SATA II drive. and yup you guessed it same problem. Been reading this forum for over an hour now and the general consensus seems to be a problem with NCQ so I've just disabled it and time will tell if it worked. I'll try and check back in a few days to confirm this for you all.

Josh Gordon Apr 04, 2006, 12:55am EDT Report Abuse
Hi all --

Just came across this post after having this same Event ID 51 problem myself. I built a new system this weekend with the following specs:

ASUS A8N SLI PREMIUM Motherboard
AMD x2 64 4800 Processor
(2x) Samsung SP2504C 250GB SATA 3G Drives with NCQ

In addition to the Event ID 51 problems, I was having intermitent problems with Windows taking a long time to boot. It was driving me MAD!!!

A big thank you to everyone with similar specs who solved the problem by disabling the command queueing on the controller in Device Manager. That seemed to work for me as well... I'll let this go a few more days but this appears to have fixed things.

Wondering if anyone has tried the 6.70 NForce4 drivers from NVidia and keeping command queueing ON. My current drivers are the 6.65 and these clearly don't work with NCQ.

Juan Carlos Diez de Medina Apr 04, 2006, 02:12pm EDT Report Abuse

Hi,

Have the same problem.. this occurs only when i startup the pc... it tooks almos 4 minutes to start... in the event vierwer i can see one warning and one error...

The warning is: Event ID 51 An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.
The error is: Event ID 9The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

I have two disk maxtor c: 40GB and d: 60GB

In device manager i see this, please tell me if it is correct or/and if it may the cause of my error

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

Why all is double?

Regards

JC

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.