Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 774 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 07:03pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
J Dilly Apr 05, 2006, 12:35pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Hello everyone.

I'm also part of the Event ID 51 club. From reading through this very informative thread (and long too), it appears to me that this problem manifests itself in many different ways, with many different solutions (and possibly combinations of solutions).

Before I start, I do believe I have solved my problem - thankfully with the help of this blog.

I have been having this problem for approx. 3 months. I'm running an ASUS A78NX Deluxe MB (Si3112r SATA/RAID controller) and the problem disk was a Seagate Barracuda SATA 200GB drive. Also in the machine was a WD RAPTOR 37 GB (10,000rpm) SATA drive (boot disk), an IBM Desktar IDE 40GB drive, a NEC 3520a DVD RW and a Plextor 40/24/16 CD burner.

I am running WinXP Home Edition, SP2, all updates. My MB BIOS version is c1007 (was 1006 when the problem started) and my Si3112r drivers are 1.0.51 (Microsoft certified).

Things I tried that didn't work.

1) Removing the nForce IDE driver and reverting to the Microsoft Driver.
2) Rebuilding system from scratch.
3) Low level format of the Seagate Barracuda
4) Upgrade of the nForce2 drivers (both from ASUS and from nVidia).
5) Disabling TCQ (Tag Command Queuing) on my Seagate Drive
6) Replace all cables (IDE and SATA)
7) Removed nVidia 6600GT video card and ran off of the onboard vga.

Then, I unhooked all of my IDE drives (CDroms included) and the problem suddenly went away.

I started hooking them back up, and the problem reappeared when I connected my Plextor CD drive.

Before I go on, however, I want to say that the jury is still out. I've seen too many times where this problem will go away for a while, then mysteriously come back, however, I've already moved more than 40GB of data (using many files >2GB in size) to the Seagate drive without a single error message.

These are my thoughts -

The problem can be hardware. Many people have resolved their problem with new SATA controllers, replacing cables, or even replacing the drive itself. Some, like me, have just stumbled accross the offending piece of hardware and removed it. I'm not convinced the problem lies solely in the SATA controller, as there are even people here with IDE only systems and the problem emerges.

The problem can be software. Tag Command Queuing (TCQ and NCQ), nForce driver sets, SATA controller drivers, motherboard BIOS, SATA rom firmware, all seem to be in one or more persons solution.

The bottom line is that I don't think anyone is going to find a silver bullet. This problem is just so vague when it comes to pinpointing the source of the problem. I am, however, convinced that for those with SATA drives exhibiting this problem, then the SATA controllers are simply very sensitive to a variety of outside influences, especially the controllers by Silicon Image. My problem child was a bad CD writer, which was a simple fix (got rid of it), but my greatest worry is with anyone who's solution lies in a combination of things -- talk about a needle in a haystack.

My thanks goes out for everyone who posted here - those with and even those without solutions.

I'll post again in a week and let everyone know if my system is still clean.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Derrick Sim Apr 06, 2006, 05:49am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
My comp specs are:-

AMD Athlon x2 3800
Asus A8N-E Motherboard
Hitachi SATA2 80gb hdd
LG Super-multi dvd-ram
patriot 2x 1gb ddr400 ram

Strangely, my motherboard arrived with the A8N-SLI drivers cd instead of the A8N-E. But I decided to go on to install the Nvidia Chipset Drivers from it.

I encountered long boot-time and event 51 immediately. Followed the solution to Disable Command Queueing and the problems seemed to have gone away. Did a CHKDSK afterwards and it auto-fixed this error- "...free space marked as allocated for MFT..." or something. On a second CHKDSK, the problem seemed to have been fixed.

Question-

1) Will these event 51s in any way corrupt the MFT? What dmg does it do to your hdd, if any? Was the error a result of the event 51 or was it tied to other factors? What is this "...free space marked as allocated for MFT..." error, and can u solve the problem by chkdsk?

2) I saw others here solve the event 51 problem by reverting to Windows IDE drivers or older 6.39 Nvidia IDE drivers. Is it more beneficial to do that or to simply disable NCQ?

Will keep track of this thread. Thanks in advance.

LanTHrusteR LTHR Apr 06, 2006, 06:55am EDT Report Abuse
1) Will these event 51s in any way corrupt the MFT? What dmg does it do to your hdd, if any? Was the error a result of the event 51 or was it tied to other factors? What is this "...free space marked as allocated for MFT..." error, and can u solve the problem by chkdsk?

No, these two problems have no relations, the "free space marked as allocated" is another story. You will notice this message after you have fixed it appearing again and again.

2) I saw others here solve the event 51 problem by reverting to Windows IDE drivers or older 6.39 Nvidia IDE drivers. Is it more beneficial to do that or to simply disable NCQ?

NCQ feature is closely related to Hyperthreading. To support NCQ the controller's drivers must know about HT, your processor should support HT and your processor driver should support HTl. Rolling back to the previous driver with no NCQ support equals to just disabling NCQ in the newer driver.

anything of
- changing processor driver (on the one with no HT support)
- controller driver (on the one with no HT support)
- disabling NCQ
- disabling HT
- installing another controller
might be the solution

Of the solutions above either disabling NCQ or changing the controller will not degrade your system considerably. A new controller might even give you some performance burst.
Rolling back to an older processor driver equals to disabling HT in BIOS (you will notice the changes)
Rolling back to an older HDD driver will just disable NCQ support yet you will have the older version of drivers which might be slow or have some other bugs fixed in the latest.
Disabling HT in BIOS will degrade system performance.

As for me, it is almost two years now that some of my computers have had the 51 problem. Slow boot up, hangs, file corruption - all was due to NCQ bridge. I was then able to find out the source of the problem and fixed it by installing a new Promise controller. And though NCQ was ON on the Promise controller from those times the system newer showed any problems. I'm not sure if Promise drivers do actually support NCQ on my drive, though. May be the checked NCQ box doesn't mean much for Promise drivers. Still I'm not sure what exactly was the case but I strongly suspect my MB SATA controller.

Juan Carlos Diez de Medina Apr 07, 2006, 07:52am EDT Report Abuse
Come oon guru's give a hand

Thanks In Advance

"Hi,

Have the same problem.. this occurs only when i startup the pc... it tooks almos 4 minutes to start... in the event vierwer i can see one warning and one error...

The warning is: Event ID 51 An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.
The error is: Event ID 9The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

I have two disk maxtor c: 40GB and d: 60GB

In device manager i see this, please tell me if it is correct or/and if it may the cause of my error

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

Why all is double?

Regards"

JC

Juan Carlos Diez de Medina Apr 07, 2006, 07:53am EDT Report Abuse
Come oon guru's give a hand

Thanks In Advance

"Hi,

Have the same problem.. this occurs only when i startup the pc... it tooks almos 4 minutes to start... in the event vierwer i can see one warning and one error...

The warning is: Event ID 51 An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.
The error is: Event ID 9The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

I have two disk maxtor c: 40GB and d: 60GB

In device manager i see this, please tell me if it is correct or/and if it may the cause of my error

Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

Why all is double?

Regards"

JC

Chad Mcaulay Apr 08, 2006, 05:26pm EDT Report Abuse

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build: Outdated
Josh Gordon Apr 08, 2006, 06:30pm EDT Report Abuse
If you hard drive supports Native Command Queuing or Tagged Command Queuing, try disabling the comand queuing from within the Device Manager. Many people on here, including myself, have had success with this. To get to it, go to device manager and go under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. There may be a few listed and you'll have to see which has your hard disks attached to it.

Right click on the correct entry and select properties. Then go into the Primary and Secondary channel tabs and deselect "Enable command queuing".

Done.

Chad Mcaulay Apr 09, 2006, 09:23am EDT Report Abuse
Thanks for the reply, Josh Gordon. By reading your post, I think I may have stumbled upon something. My Motherboard is a KN8 Ultra Abit with 3 Gb/s transfer rate. While looking where you told me in the IDE controllers, I found that the transfer mode on my HDD is 1.5 Gb/s. I have the BIOS determining the correct transfer rate which should be 3 Gb/sec. Before I go in to disable the Command Queuing, I thought I would ask about this first. Is this something that would be causing the issue? Thanks for the help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Josh Gordon Apr 09, 2006, 10:32am EDT Report Abuse
Glad my post helped, Chad Mcaculay.

Anyway, so I don't think having your MB set to allow for 1.5 instead of 3G would cause the Event ID 51. Some motherboards do not yet support SATA 3G so only if your hard drive and motherboard support this should you have it turned on. I'd go straight for the disabling of command queuing as an attempt to get rid of your Event ID 51.

Mark Smith Apr 09, 2006, 04:45pm EDT Report Abuse

Chad Mcaulay Apr 09, 2006, 07:00pm EDT Report Abuse
Hey, guys. I can't say how much I appreciate the help. I just disabled the command queuing; I'll be back to keep you updated on the progress.

J Dilly Apr 10, 2006, 11:22am EDT Report Abuse
To JC,

You said:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You definitely should not see these doubles.

I have had this before when I did a motherboard replacement and kept my same install of WinXP. I was able to safely remove the duplicate hardware. I would recommend removing them one at a time, rebooting after each removal.

Since you are having the controller timeout, it is possible this is causing your problem. Remember that I had an offending CD writer that was on my IDE controller that caused the problem with my SATA drive.

For everyone else out there, I'm still error free since removing the offending drive.

Juan Carlos Diez de Medina Apr 10, 2006, 12:08pm EDT Report Abuse
Thanks J Dilly,

You are right i change my MOBO without reinstall WinXP (first MOBO was D865PERL and second D865GBF since both are 865 i thought not necesary reinstall winxp :( ), but my problem began after the change.. almost two months after the change... and i cant remove the double hardware... after uninstall and reboot all is double again... maybe it is necesary reinstall win xp :)

Thanks In Advance

JC

J Dilly Apr 13, 2006, 11:28am EDT Report Abuse
Juan,

When doing a motherboard swap, I've had good luck just installing WinXP over my original install. Just boot from the WinXP CD, then say install (you don't want to go to recovery mode). Then after you select your drive, it will tell you that it already sees a WinXP installation. It asks you if you want to do a repair. Say yes and it will repair it for you. Understand, however, that it will back out all your drivers and all your updates to WinXP. I've done this many many times without any problems.

This may just get rid of your problem too.

Oh, and for everyone else out there, I have had ZERO EventID 51s since I removed my Plextor CD writer and that was over a week ago.

J

Gerritt Apr 13, 2006, 12:47pm EDT Report Abuse
I've not read the entire thread, so forgive me if the following is a repeat of previous postings.
There is an identified incompatibility between ASUS A8N Motherboards and the firmware that is shipping on both Seagate 7200 rpm drives, and with certain Plextor products. Both can be resolved through device firmware updates.
If you have an ASUS, check out the ASUS A8N FAQs for the specifics.
Some of these issues coudl be related to the NVidia NF4 chipsets as well so check it out even if you don't have the ASUS product. I seem to recall something about this being mentioned on DFIstreet as well.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Chad Mcaulay Apr 16, 2006, 02:07pm EDT Report Abuse

denzil Apr 16, 2006, 10:14pm EDT Report Abuse
How do you get firmware updates for seagate drives? They don't offer any on their site that I can find.

*Just want to clarify that I have yet to see the error again after disabling NCQ. Mainly just want to know where to get seagate firmware updates incase they're needed in the future.

Juan Carlos Diez de Medina Apr 17, 2006, 08:03am EDT Report Abuse
Thanks for the replies... the solution in my case was unplug one of the disks the slave disk, it have more than 4 years so its time to replace.

Regarsd

Derrick Sim Apr 19, 2006, 02:20pm EDT Report Abuse
Hey there.

Maxtor and Seagate had released firmware updates to try to fix the issue. I encountered the event 51 too and rectify it by disabling NCQ.

My hdd is a Hitachi Deskstar 7k80. So far, I've not heard anything from Hitachi regarding this issue. Nothing on the Hitachi website. Is there ever going to be any support or fix for Hitachi hdd users?

Claas G Apr 23, 2006, 01:55pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi!

I have the same Problem with my ASUS A8N-SLI Premium and a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 (500GB, S-ATA).
Disabling Command Queing did NOT help me.

Where can I get these Seagate firmware update? Is it downloadable? I didn't found anything on the seagate page. Do I have to send my drive to the service or can I install the firmware update my own?

Well, I wrote to the seagate support. Let's see how quick they are and what they say.

I have a Plextor DVD-Writer too. But I installed the latest firmware on it.

Regards, Claas

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.