Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1069 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 07:29pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Josh Gordon Apr 23, 2006, 02:54pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Claas--

Can you try something for me? Can you go make sure command queuing is ENABLED in the device manager, then shut down your machine, unplug the Plextor drive and restart Windows? Once in Windows, check the event viewer to see if unhooking the Plextor drive had any effect.

This might sound like a strange move but 2 days ago I decided to try this exact step after reading someone's post on here that indicated that it was a Plextor drive attached to the system that was causing the problems. And once I disconnected my Plextor DVD drive, I was not seeing any Event ID 51 errors --- even when the command queuing was enabled.

I had previously disabled command queuing since that was the solution so many people had given on this forum. However, once I re-enabled the queuing, unplugged the Plextor drive and restarted windows, I saw NO Event ID 51 errors.

Now the STRANGEST part of all of this is that when I then tried re-connecting the Plextor drive and restarting Windows, I have STILL not seen the errors return. This is very strange to me since previously, with all my drives plugged in and command queuing ENABLED, I was getting slow boots and tons of 51 errors. But this step of re-enabling command queuing, unplugging the Plextor drive, rebooting once without it attached, then finally RE-ATTACHING it and restarting seems to have allowed me to now ENABLE command queuing.

So -- can you try 2 things:

1) Unplug the Plextor drive and keep command queuing ENABLED in the device manager -- do you see the Event ID 51 errors?

2) If you are NOT seeing 51 errors, try now re-attaching the Plextor drive and see if these errors return...

I'm interested to hear your results...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Claas G Apr 23, 2006, 03:21pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I'll try unplugging the Plextor drive tomorrow.

But there is definately a problem with my seagate harddrive. It is not my system drive (which is a WD Raptor) so I can unplug it and then all the problems are gone.

With the Seagate drive connected I get different problems depending on the installed drivers:
- With default windows drivers the system sometimes just hangs during boot. I have to press the reset key.
- With the latest NVidia IDE-drivers it just hangs for one or two minutes (hd led slowly flashing) and then continues. After that I have error-51 entries.
This does not always happen, sometimes it just boots fine.

I tried disabling command queing today with the result of total freeze during boot. So I enabled it again.

This really looks to me like some weird compatibility issue. That's what you get when you buy all the latest hardware. I think only driver and/or firmware updates will really help here.
The ASUS A8N-SLI Premium FAQ (on ASUS site) confirms this. So I hope for the Seagate support. We will see.

Claas

Josh Gordon Apr 23, 2006, 03:30pm EDT Report Abuse
Claas,

Can you send me the link to that FAQ topic? I can't seem to find it...

Thanks...

Claas G Apr 23, 2006, 04:21pm EDT Report Abuse
I think you can not directly link to it.

You have to go to the ASUS page, then click on "support", then "faq", and search for "A8N-SLI Premium". It's the third entry then, saying:

"System will stop at Windows XP Logo page when I update nForce4 chipset driver on Seagate7200.9 series SATA2 hard disk. How can I solve it?
Due to Seagate7200.9 series SATA2 hard disk firmware limitation, please update the hard disk firmware to 3AAD or later. You can exchange the hard disk from Seagate service center."

Claas

Gerritt Apr 23, 2006, 05:04pm EDT Report Abuse
Claas,

I tried to find a link on Seagates site to an updated firmware revision, and like others was unable to find anything except a post stating that Seagate does not support firmware upgrades on its ATA HDDs. The HDD must be exchanged through Seagate to achive the upgraded Firmware or through your OEM provider.

Plextor, as well as Hitachi do permit firmware updates from thier websites.

Just wanted to clarify.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
denzil Apr 23, 2006, 07:43pm EDT Report Abuse
Since I'm not having any issues after disabling NCQ, I'm going to just keep the drive till I replace it at some point. Seagate drives are all I buy, but its somewhat pathetic of them not to release a new firmware revision if it will fix this problem. Would be so much easier than replacing hundreds of HDDs people RMA!

Claas G Apr 24, 2006, 01:59pm EDT Report Abuse
Reading the support section on the seagate site leads to the impression that there are no downloadable firmware update for seagate S-ATA drives and that you have to send the drive to the service.

Well, that's not true! I wrote to the support and got a firmware update via email which I just applied. Asus says update to 3.AAD or later. I have 3.AAE now. The drive is a ST3500641AS (7200.9, 500 GB, S-ATA).

Unfortunately the problem is still there! :-(

Well maybe it's really the Plexwriter, I'll continue testiing...

Claas G Apr 24, 2006, 03:27pm EDT Report Abuse
I disconnected my Plextor DVD-Writer -> no success
I disabled NCQ -> no success

So I tried a different strategy and connected the seagate drive to the onboard silicon image raid controller instead of the NForce4 controller. And everything is fine!
The performance shouldn't be the same but I'm tired of debugging. I'll live with it for now and hope for some updates from Asus or NVidia or Seagate for the future. Of course I could get another hard drive but I don't like that.

Apr 25, 2006, 05:29am EDT Report Abuse
Hi everybody,

I have also this problem on my server which has this configuration :

Dell PoweEdge 2300
Win2k Server with SP4
SCSI Raid 2940-U2
SCSI Disk for system
An IDE Disk (with IDE - Firewire coontroleur) connected to Firewire - PCI card for backup.

I was using an IDE Disk connected trough a Firewire-PCI card on this server to do every day Backup from the system to this IDE disk. I am using 1 disk every week and therefore rotate with 4 disks in a month.
This system was working correctly until I change the disk used for the backup. Previously I used Seagate Barracuda 120 Gb disks and now I want to use Maxtor 200Gb disks.
When I started using Maxtor disk, during the backup process in the night, a lot of "An error was detected on \Device\Harddisk3\DR8 during a paging operation" event and my server hangs up and I needed to reset it. Then it start correctly and I could see this ID 51 about 100 times in the event log. Hardisk3 is my IDE disk

During all the day, no more message ID 51 appear but if I schedule a backup, very often (but NOT EVERY TIMES), le problem occurs (ID 51) and the server hangs up.

I tried then to use again my old Seagate disk for backup and it worked correctly without hanging up and without error ID 51 (I have tried some days).

But with my new Maxtor disks, it fails very often.

Then I decided to change my Firewire-PCi card and buy a new one. The problem still occurs and now it occurs also if I use my old Seagate disks. Therefore I am no more able to do my backup and it is very urgent for my to find a solution.

I have read more or less all post in this thread and did find a clear solution.

Could someone help me or give my advices.

Thank's in advance

Orlando Amorim Apr 25, 2006, 01:40pm EDT Report Abuse

Orlando Amorim Apr 25, 2006, 01:44pm EDT Report Abuse
P.S. Do also have a more closer look at page 1 of this thread where some people mention the fix did not completely solve it.

Orlando Amorim Apr 25, 2006, 02:32pm EDT Report Abuse
For the system hanging up after event errors logged, take a look at:

IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors occur
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

It did happen to me when I got multiple time-out/controller errors to the point of having to resart the system as well.

Matt Gordon Apr 30, 2006, 05:54pm EDT Report Abuse
I have been having this Event ID - 51 problem as well.

disabled command queueing and the event id 51's seem to have stopped thus far. Thanks for the help I've been looking to find a fix for this for about a week now.

I'll update in a few days.

Orlando Amorim Apr 30, 2006, 08:18pm EDT Report Abuse
To everyone having this problem, especially with ICH5R Southbridge:

Final confirmation from Intel:

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

The Intel(R) 82801ER I/O controller hub (ICH5R) does not support AHCI. Therefore, no NCQ (Native Command Queuing) or hot plug support is available with this I/O Controller.

As Maxtor (my drive is a 300GB 6LS300S0 SATA 150 version one) had already told me that NCQ can only be disabled by controller configuration and none of ICH5R various drivers (either with Intel controller drivers or with Microsoft ones or Intel's ones for configuration as IDE SATA RAID controller).

The best situation I have achieved is a configuration of the controller as SATA RAID, operating in IDE Mode with the latest Intel Maxtrix Storage drivers installed on it (Iastor.sys).
This way, it sometimes sorts out one or two event 51 warnings when performing intensive drive operations (like writing/reading many files, checking or virus scanning) but in every case, there are no real errors in the disk contents!!
As I have an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard, I can always put it back to the Promise 378 on-board SATA controller instead...

Also, some people might find that the case mentioned in the Microsoft KB article below applies to them, as it had happened with me before (also producing event 51 logging):

SBP-2 drive stops responding when you try to write data in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B885464&x=14&y=16

Once again, good luck everyone!

J Dilly May 01, 2006, 10:18am EDT Report Abuse
Well folks, my problem is back... and with a vengeance. I had originally removed my Plextor CD RW drive, and my problem went away for a while.

After installing another game (Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory) using my NEC 3520 DVD RW drive, I am now getting the infamous Event 51s again on my Seagate SATA drive (200GB).

I have tried disabling NCQ - no go.
I disabled synchronous I/Os - no go.

I receive the most Event 51s when I'm playing games, so both my DVD drive on the IDE bus and the SATA drive on the SATA adapter are being accessed at the same time. So I thought perhaps the real problem, at least on my system, may be a contention or compatability problem between SATA and IDE. So I tried a test. Since I can guarantee that I get Event 51s when cranking up Chaos Theory, I tried the no-cd hack. Guess what? No Event 51s.

However, this is no final solution. I still receive Event 51s when moving large files (>1GB) even without a CD in my DVD drive. I am starting to think though that just having both IDE and SATA are not happy together on my ASUS motherboard. Funny how I got this thing all stirred up just by installing a game.

One other thing - everyone else notice that the majority of people having his problem have ASUS boards?

jim yarwood May 03, 2006, 05:24pm EDT Report Abuse
Well I'm getting a whole bunch of these, also on an asus board. The problem started on an asrock k7s8x though.

Usually replacing the IDE cable was good for a day or two, removing one of the DVD drives would sometimes work. Since switching to SATA I no longer get windows lockups, but the errors are still there.
Installing the latest IDE drivers from SiS also worked for all of a day and a half.

Tried asrock K7S8X, asus A7S8X-MX, seagate 60GB IDE, seagate 80GB IDE, WD 250GB SATA, AMD athlon XP 1600, athlon XP 2000, new memory of various brands and finaly a new case/PSU.
The only thing I have kept the same across all hardware changes is the nvidia GeForce FX 5200 card.

Have tried the registry hacks listed in this thread. No change.

Georgick :( May 04, 2006, 01:04pm EDT Report Abuse
I have the same problems.
I ve tried all ways - no results
Windows XP SP2 hangs up each 15 minutes
I use Samsung SP250C SATA II
In spite of Samsung (http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/support/faqs/index.asp) announced a patch from April, 14 for 3.5 inch HDD (SP2014N / SP2514N / SP2004C / SP2504C / HD040HJ / HD080HJ / HD120IJ /
HD160JJ / SP1253N / SP1654N), it didn't help me.
Probably, patch would be useful for somebody.
Has anyone a solution for Samsung SP250C SATA II + Nforce 4 Ultra based motherboard?
I know, Maxtor and Seagate made patch for SATA, but Samsung - still not.

Josh Gordon May 04, 2006, 02:54pm EDT Report Abuse
I have almost the same configuration as you and I've managed to eliminate the Event ID 51. I have 2 SP2504C hard drives and an ASUS A8N SLI PREMIUM motherboard with the NForce4 chipset.

I had to initially disable Native Command Queuing in the device manager to get rid of the error but then I unplugged my Plextor DVD RW, re-enabled command queuing and then re-attached the Plextor and all of a sudden everything worked. No idea why.

kriti kanabar May 04, 2006, 05:49pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi,

Im not sure how to Disable NCQ in Windows XP Device Manager??

Does anyone have any images of how one can disable NCQ?

Thanks

Bondhan Kinanthi May 09, 2006, 10:59am EDT Report Abuse
Hi, I think I solved my problem:
>> change the SATA cable(s) <<

Also my problem was: Many Event ID 51 and Event ID 9 errors. And therefore very poor disk performance. I had this from the beginning on this set. I use an ASUS A8V with 4 sata ports. No RAID. The VIA SATA controller is very stable. The problem is always with the PROMISE SATA controller (SATA 150). So I RMA'ed the hard drive (convinced it was breaking down) without investigating the PROMISE controller or anything else but the problem remained. Instead I had SATA300 drives with the same problem.

Now I have another set with ASUS A8V and that PROMISE SATA controller worked fine with SATA150 drives.

So I read this thread and bought a Promise PCI SATA300 controller as to Duane Schliebe's advise.
I then also changed the SATA cable and so far I'm good (works 1 week without errors).
Now I have the card as a spare.

good luck,
bondhan

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.