Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 2437 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 23 - 04:35am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Jay Newell May 11, 2006, 07:55am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Cor what a cracker of an error this has been for everyone. I'm getting this error message about 20 times a second in the event viewer system log and it takes only about a minute for the event viewer to reach it's max of 512kb. I think something could seriously be wrong. I'm not sure if anyone has received the message this amount but let me know if you have. Something must be up the creek.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Denis Wong May 16, 2006, 11:07pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Hey everyone.

I had this event ID 51 error about 3 weeks ago, and it was not only locking up my PC, but corrupting my hard drive to the point where critical Windows files were corrupted... and Windows BSOD'ing on startup. CHKDSK did help sometimes, but other times it did nothing more than sending some of my files to digital hell.

Either one of these two solutions worked, I'm pretty sure it was the first:

- the PCI SATA controller card, as suggested by Duane Schliebe. The one I got was the Promise SATAII150 TX2plus. (Sure, I won't get the 300 mb/s or whatever speeds, but I only have one SATAII hard drive so that's a non issue.) Ever since installing that card my PC hasn't locked up because of event ID 51 errors, or event ID 9 and 11 errors for my IDE drive. I did get one event ID 9 error from an IDE device... don't know if it was my hard drive or my burner. But that's a great improvement over the non-stop lockups. So to Duane Schliebe, if you're still reading this thread, I express my thanks.

- Another option that may have worked for me was turning off Cool n Quiet on my nForce4 motherboard (ASUS A8N-SLi). I ran across a forum topic on nVidia's forums that suggested this as a possible cause of machine lockups. Turning off NCQ or TCQ is not an option for me as my hard drive doesn't support it.

To all who still suffer from this ridiculous problem, I wish you good luck. If only hardware manufacturers can get their quality control back to where it should be...

Georgick :( May 17, 2006, 01:16am EDT Report Abuse
By the way, I have already solved a problem too
I had to initially disable Native Command Queuing in the device manager to get rid of the error but then I changed my SATA cable to another. After that I had that problem 1-2 times per day only. Then I re-attached DVD RW ROM and all of a sudden everything worked. No idea why.
I used Samsung 250Gb SATA + Gigabyte GA K8NSLI

J Dilly May 18, 2006, 10:10am EDT Report Abuse
Hi everyone.

I've been playing e-mail tag with Seagate technical support on this problem (Asus A7N8X MB, Seagate 200GB drive). After running a slew of diagnostic tests, they've asked that I RMA the drive back to them for replacement. What a royal PITA. I have over 120GB of data on this drive (mostly my old VHS home movies I've ripped down from tape for editting and DVD authoring). I guess I'm going to have to buy another hard drive just to save all this data.

After I RMA it and get the new drive, I'll let everyone know if it solves my problem. Those of you with Seagate drives, the good news is that they have a 5 year warranty (the main reason I bought the drive in the first place).

Good luck everyone.

Stephen Black May 21, 2006, 04:07am EDT Report Abuse

J Dilly May 21, 2006, 11:17am EDT Report Abuse
Stephen,

This is interesting since my problem came back after installing Chaos Theory too. I had considered the Starforce drivers as the culprit, but had never had a problem with them before. The only thing that is weird is that I ONLY get the problem with my Seagate drive. My Western Digital raptor is error free.

I am going to try uninstalling these drivers and see what happens. I'll let everyone know.

It would be interesting to know whether others here also have these drivers installed.

Resident Evil May 29, 2006, 05:11pm EDT Report Abuse
I had the same problem with my Seagate 300GB Sata 1.5 drive. It either showed up during power down or boot up. That was random and not always the case. The entry in the event log always was 18 lines. Too repeatable to be a hardware fault. Very suspicious of software.
In my HD properties under the plicies tab I switched from Optimize for performance to Optimize for quick removal.
This disabled the disk indexing and cacheing. I did not see any performance loss.
Since then I did not see that Event ID - 51 error again. Now two month after the adjustment.

tim iknow May 29, 2006, 11:04pm EDT Report Abuse
OK I have solved this problem on my computer. I have strugled with computer instability for a couple of months now. This was the last but most difficult problem to fix. I searched and could not find a solution to this problem, I found many threads like this one though. It seems to be a wierd driver issue that I do not understand. This is how I fixed the error 51 and system crashes (especially in games like oblivion).

Basically the solution (complete fluke) was to install windows using a streamlined xp cd using the method described here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php...&st=0&p=356029&.

Even if you do not have a raid array do this. I don't know why it worked but it did. I made an XP cd with integrated drivers using n-lite with the 6.7 drivers and it didn't work same error 51. I then found that post, and used the lagacy drivers in the 6.7 package like it said and all my ide isues vanished and no more lockups and no more error 51.

The only problem I did have after, which is most likely completely unrelated was that chkdsk would scan my raid array every time my computer booted. This is not my system drive and is not the drive which was giving me an error 51. To fix this was a little easier then reinstalling windows. I found a post which said run "chkdsk /x /f";. This unmounts the drive before running chkdsk which solved the problem but it will not work with system drive or if you have a swap file

BoT May 29, 2006, 11:13pm EDT Report Abuse
sorry, i didn't read the entire post but did anybody try to simply disable the pagefile and just run on memory?
or manually configure the pagefile?
bot

You can either be part of the problem or be part of the solution.
Codisha - http://www.codisha.com
Reviews - http://www.codisha.com/reviews/reviews.htm
Orlando Amorim May 30, 2006, 12:11am EDT Report Abuse
Basically the solution (complete fluke) was to install windows using a streamlined xp cd using the method described here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php...&st=0&p=356029&;.

Tim, would you please repost the link or just paste it as plain text because it got broken probably for being too long?

Thanks!

Edit:
I think I got it, let's see if it comes out right:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51140&st=0&a...56029&

George Smith Jun 02, 2006, 10:58am EDT Report Abuse
It all started for me with Event ID 51.
Also, I could hear what some people call the "Click of Death" from the hard drive, I thought for sure the drive was nearing the end of its life.
So I got a new hard drive, to my surprise, same problem.
Then I started to get random reboots and system lockups, progressively more frequent over time.
I inspected the interior of the computer.
The real problem was BAD CAPACITORS on the motherboard which were the cause of all the above grief.
I replaced all caps having values 1000 uF or over (19 of them).
System runs like a charm now.
I measured the values of each of the caps I pulled with a capacitance meter and the bottom line is: if they look bad (bulged tops, leaking electrolyte) they are bad. If they look OK (the top is flat) they are OK.
There are web sites that provide a great deal of explanation, just type "bad caps" into your search engine.
But remember, it all started with Event ID 51.

J Dilly Jun 02, 2006, 12:28pm EDT Report Abuse
Update: I removed the StarForce drivers - no change. I also reinstalled WinXP using a streamlined CD (not the same as mentioned above because I don't have an nForce4 motherboard) - also no change and the problem remains. I have since RMA'd my Seagate disk (7200.7) since it consistently failed the acoustical spindown test. Seagate tech support indicated that this is a hardware problem in the electronics of the disk drive. When I get my replacement drive, I'll let everyone here know if it fixed my problem.

Chad Mcaulay Jun 04, 2006, 11:11pm EDT Report Abuse
Hey, everyone. I've been event id 51 free after I disabled the NCQ on my SATA. However, I got them recently when I installed and started playing Far Cry. I don't notice any issues with the game; it runs quite smoothly. Actually, the event id 51 is coming up on the cdrom. Any ideas? Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build: Outdated
Georg Weber Jun 11, 2006, 07:34pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi folks,

I solved the problem with updating my VIA onboard controller Windows XP driver (Board: Asus A8V Deluxe) with the newest driver on http://www.viaarena.com.

Cheers, Georg.

bunker bob Jun 14, 2006, 01:07pm EDT Report Abuse

denzil Jun 14, 2006, 10:57pm EDT Report Abuse
LOL...I still haven't had one issue with my HDD after removing the Nvidia Drivers BUT I erased/reloaded my PC a few days ago and now I'm getting them on my cdrom device! I'm afraid I killed something on my MB because I had to restart a gazillion times troubleshooting an unknown device in my device manager. That was because I didn't install the Asus PC Probe II software which I guess contained a driver for the heat/voltage sensors. Hopefully, i didn't damage anything. Deleted both optical drives from my DM in hopes that a re-install fixes the issue.

J Dilly Jun 22, 2006, 11:28am EDT Report Abuse
I received my RMA'd Seagate 7200.7 drive and I knew something was up the moment I removed it from the package. First, there were scoring marks near the mounting holes, which told me immediately that the drive was refurbished. Second, the drive rattled. Yup... rattled. I've never known a drive to rattle before.

I put it in my PC anyway and guess what? Event 51, event 51, event 51. That's even without initializing or formatting the drive. After initializing and formatting it, I get between 9 to 20 event 51s just booting my PC.

What's really crazy is that the drive is empty!!!

Of course, Seagate says to just send it back and they'll give me another (probably also faulty) drive.

I'm pretty much ready to dump the Seagate drive and just buy me a WD. The cost of shipping them back is going to outweigh the cost of a new drive.

Julia Petrakis Jun 24, 2006, 08:52pm EDT Report Abuse
Oops. Got posted x2.

Julia Petrakis Jun 24, 2006, 08:53pm EDT Report Abuse
I have been seeing the Golden Triangle 51 in my event viewer now for some time. As others have noted, it has been slowing down my computer and otherwise simply driving me nuts. There are other threads on other forums, going back as many as 3-4 years, none of which have found a solution. I hesitated to simply turn in the hard drive because one correspondent had indicated he had done that immediately and yet two weeks later the problem was back. Additionally, another correspondent had drawn my attention to the fact that the harddisk number/letter did not necessarily refer to the drive one might logically think. My messages all said harddisk 1, which indicates in fact a second hard disk on the computer. I have only one hard drive.

My setup is as follows: e-machines T1220 computer (Intel Celeron) with 256 RAM, 20 GB Maxtel hard drive, 4 USB ports (one of which is physically broken), CD-ROM, 56k internal modem, Windows XP with Service Pack 2. I have a USB external CD-RW drive, a USB Lexmark X83 printer, USB Linksys wireless adaptor, and two USB memory sticks.

So, sitting outside Monroe's Driving School one evening, waiting for my granddaughter to come out from her driver's ed class, I decided that before I bought a new computer, I would undertake an analysis of the situation, using the scientific method: i.e., one step at a time. For two hours, while the granddaughter was in class, I mapped out a strategy to try and discover where the problem really was: hardware or software or a combination of both.

In general terms, the steps were as follows -- with each following step undertaken only if the problem was not corrected. I moved my work files to another computer and set the Golden Triangle 51 computer up on the counter next to the kitchen sink. All peripherals (printer, CDRW drive, wireless adaptor, memory card) were disconnected:
1. Clean the computer: open it up, dust, disconnect and reconnect all cables and boards.
2. Rerun x2 the e-machines restore CD, which purports to reformat and repartition -- all data, it warns, will be lost. (I am not sure that is totally true as the machine always seems to know I live in the Pacific Northwest and I wonder if it does not retain some basic setup files).
3. Reinstall the wireless adaptor and then the printer, which has been notoriously temperamental. The CDRW and the memory sticks are plug-and-play and had not ever seemed to be a problem.
4. Reinstall all third party software one at a time, waiting 24 hours between installs (since many correspondents had noted a temporary brief improvement, only to find the Golden Triangles returning sometime later).

No sooner had I put the back of the computer back on than I noted a marked improvement in performance -- and no Golden Triangles. I waited 48 hours and nary a triangle was seen. (Note that I had not yet reattached any peripherals, run the e-machines restore, or tinkered with any software). Ha, I said, I've got it -- but I waited to be sure. (I had thought I "had it" a couple of times previous.

Then I tried to rerun one software program and realized that it was somehow corrupted. I decided to go ahead with steps 2-4 anyway. All went perfectly. Not a single Golden Triangle. Wow! Very cool!

So toward the end of the afternoon, becoming quite confident and cocky that I had solved the problem, I decided one by one to plug in those four peripherals. Please recall that on this computer I have 4 USB ports -- one of which is broken, and I have for many months been using a generic USB hub with 4 ports to permit using all four peripherals without plugging and unplugging which was the cause of the now broken USB port. I will also note that I had not as yet turned off Windows sounds. So, the wireless adaptor worked well, the printer worked well, the CDRW worked well, and I was able to get files off the memory stick. But when I tried to plug both the printer and the memory stick into the generic hub at the same time, all hell broke loose. Windows started beeping at me nonstop. Inadequate seating of the hub in the USB port? Apparently not (beep, beep). Inadequate seating of the peripheral in the hub? Apparently not (beep, beep). Bad cable to the hub? No.

Now, I had noted in the past that the printer seemed very unstable when plugged into the hub with something else, although obviously I had not paid enough attention to that fact. So, I moved the printer cable and the wireless adaptor cables to the two USB ports in the back of the computer. I plugged the memory stick and the CDRW cables into the hub. I turned the sounds back on so that I would know: and for two hours, peace and quiet has reigned. Not a single Golden Triangle. In the middle, I tried once again the noise-provoking configuration and instantly Golden Triangle 51s. Harddisk 1 is apparently neither my hard drive nor my CDRW drive: it is my memory stick.

Will it work for everyone? I don't know but I'm thinking it's certainly worth giving the scientific method a try.

Julia Petrakis Jun 24, 2006, 11:56pm EDT Report Abuse
I would add that the wireless adaptor and the printer, now plugged into the USB ports on the back of the computer, both require specific drivers for installation. The memory stick and the CDRW drive are both totally "plug-and-play" and are identified and installed without additional software by XP.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.