Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 965 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 06:44pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Peter Meinl Jun 25, 2006, 02:21am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
My Event Id 51 error went away after I replaced my external USB Maxtor HD with a firewire one.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tom Rodger Jul 04, 2006, 08:51pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation

Douglas Bonnell Jul 07, 2006, 07:02am EDT Report Abuse
Hi,

This may be of help.

Had the same problem. Replaced both my HD and same error occured.

I finally narrowed it down to a memery problem where data was not being passed fast enough or corrupted during transfer to and from memeory and HD.

I removed a memory module and retried and no errors. I suspect it is a compatability issue between chips also as either chip would work when placed in the system on its own.

This also seems to have worked i simply changed the order of the chips in the MB. Slot1 went to slot 2 and slot 2 to slot 1. Have had no problems since and i also replaced my old drives back in and all seems fine.

Might not solve all of the cases but it may be worth atry as it cost nothing.

Xander McGuire Jul 21, 2006, 07:46am EDT Report Abuse
Hi Everyone

To follow up on the post below regarding Prefetch, I have come accross this file to clean the log

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2495.html

I have not seen the error again.

Thanks for keeping this post active for so long.

Xander McGuire
Pentium D OC 3.4
ASUS P5LD2 DELUXE
4 GB DDR2 Kingston
XP PRO /3GB
ATI X700
RAID 1 SATA WD RAPTOR 36 GB / OS
RAID 5 SATA WD JS 200 GB / FILES
ZALMAN FATALITY
VMWARE Rocks...

J Dilly Jul 21, 2006, 09:52am EDT Report Abuse
For some insane reason, I decided to RMA the replacement drive I received from Seagate. Now on my third 7200.7 Seagate SATA drive, and I still have the same problems. And as I remarked earlier, the drive has no data on it and is freshly formatted. I've also done a low-level format on the drive and re-format with no success.

At the suggestion of others, I've also thoroughly tested my memory, tried running with only one DIMM, and disabled my prefetch and cleaned the prefetch log. Still getting these cursed Event 51s.

I've now ordered a WD 250GB SATA II drive. If the WD drive does not have any problems, then it will solidify my suspicion that there is a compatability issue between ASUS motherboards running Si SATA controllers and the Seagate SATA 1 drives. If the WD drive also gets the 51s, I already have a replacement MB that I will try next. I'll also be giving the Seagate drive to a friend of mine to try in his machine (same MB), so he can see if he also has the compability problem with the drive.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Julia Petrakis Jul 21, 2006, 01:06pm EDT Report Abuse
I personally think that is too complicated. I have a Maxtor hard drive and the simplest motherboard that e-machines was installing in their cheapest computer 4-5 years ago. In fact, the harddisk1 designation had nothing to do with my hard drive at all, since I only have one hard drive, which is indicated as Harddisk0.

It did have something (I am not sure what) to do with my USB ports and the peripherals and/or their drivers that were attached to said ports. I believe I read somewhere higher in this thread that someone else had found a relationship to USB ports. Since disconnecting the LexMark printer, which I suspect to be the culprit, I have not had any problems.

At the moment, I have only a Netgear USB Ethernet network adaptor attached via a USB port and am having absolutely no problems at all.

Tom Rodger Jul 21, 2006, 02:25pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi all,
re: my earlier post about the prefetch causing event ID 51 errors.
After having my prefetch setting set to "0" for week with no errors, I have changed my registry prefetch setting set to option "1" for 2 weeks now, and can report no event ID 51 triangles or any other problems.

I will be giving option "2" a try for a while to see what gives. Had a look at the little proggy from Geeks. It just sets the parameters that I set through the registry. Whatever you are comfortable with...I guess.

Later Mang

clint cooper Jul 22, 2006, 12:55am EDT Report Abuse
i fixed this by doign the following:
1. empy prefetch folder.
2. reboot, still had error 51
3. disable write cache
4. disable native command queing on my sata drive.
5. reboot, no error 51!
used comp for a day in this state. rebooted like 30 times, problem was gone.

then, next day tried the following:

6. enabled write cache, reboot,
upon reboot, no 51 problem
7. enabled native command queing, reboot.
upon reboot, no 51 problem

the problem i was having was the error 51 happening about a dozen times upon booting, it would take 2-3 mins to boot when i knew it should take only 30 seconds or so based on previous performance from this machine. not sure what caused it to start. but it is now gone and has been for a few weeks.

i hope this helps, when i googled my error, this was among the top results.

im not sure if all of the steps above are nessicary, you can try just one. im just saying what helped me.

Julia Petrakis Jul 22, 2006, 01:02am EDT Report Abuse
I do think it is fascinating that although several people, including myself, seem to have found one way or another a solution, in a thread that has been ongoing since September 2003 no one has really discovered what the root cause of the problem is. While the basic problem is the same in all cases (unexplained Event 51 triangles in the event viewer), the solutions so far all seem to have been very different.

Tom Rodger Jul 22, 2006, 05:47pm EDT Report Abuse
Please see my ealier posts:
I got around to setting my prefetch to option "2". I restarted my machine and right away there were about 15 event id 51 errors logged. My USB mouse did not light up and needed to be replugged (may or may not be related to ID 51). I have noticed that device enumeration on window XP has been spot on with prefetch options "0" and "1".
I played around disabling several startup items, clearing the prefetch folder each time to see if anything would pop out as a problem app......nothing did! So back to prefetch option "1" for now.
Load time with option 0 and 1 is not bad up to and including 2 times accross for a blue progress bars. After the bars is a little slower than with the prefetch set to "2" and "3". However, with the other options I can wait at the blue bars for a long time with lots of hard drive thrashing and such and then have a problem requiring a restart somewhere down the road. I would say that overall timeup times are the same. But with the prefetch set to "0" or "1" my sys does not crash.

dobrin ivanov Jul 23, 2006, 07:33am EDT Report Abuse
Hi,

I had the same problem on boot - windows XP service pack2.
I have the prefetch setting set to "1" and the boot reports no problems now.
If I set it to "2" the problem again appears .... so I'll live with the prefetch="1", because otherwise the boot is slower.

Ciao,
Dobrin

J Dilly Jul 26, 2006, 11:26am EDT Report Abuse
HURRAY!! My PC is now error free.

But here's the bad news.... dumping the Seagate 7200.7 drive and replacing it with a WD 250GB SATA drive is what resolved this problem.

My suspicions have been confirmed - there is a compatability problem between the Seagate 7200.7 drive and my Si3112r SATA controller on my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard. And I think I've proven it....

- I RMA'd the Seagate drive twice. All three drives exhibited the exact same problem.
- I tried re-installing WinXP numerous times, along with numerous firmware and driver revisions.
- I tried all the recommendations here - disabling NCQ, disabling prefetch, replacing SATA cables, running with only the problematic drive, etc. I hesitated to expend money on a SATA controller card, but feel confident this would have resolved the problem.
- I replaced my motherboard with an identical A7N8X Deluxe motherboard. Ruled out a bad motherboard.
- I had a friend install the Seagate drive in his system (he has the same motherboard). He also saw the same problem.
- I had my father-in-law install the Seagate drive in his system - NOT the same motherboard - NO PROBLEMS.
- And finally, my resolution - just repacing the offending drive with a Western Digital drive.

This is probably why the resolution to this problem is so elusive - compatability. And it also explains why several people have had luck by installing a Promise SATA controller.

From now on, I'll be avoiding Seagate drives like the plague. It's not that I believe they are bad drives (at least not for all SATA controllers, and it could be the Silicon Image controller's fault), but I won't take the chance on having another compatability problem.

Julia Petrakis Jul 26, 2006, 11:45am EDT Report Abuse
I personally think that is too complicated. I have a Maxtor hard drive and the simplest motherboard that e-machines was installing in their cheapest computer 4-5 years ago. In fact, the harddisk1 designation had nothing to do with my hard drive at all, since I only have one hard drive, which is indicated as Harddisk0.

It did have something (I am not sure what) to do with my USB ports and the peripherals and/or their drivers that were attached to said ports. I believe I read somewhere higher in this thread that someone else had found a relationship to USB ports. Since disconnecting the LexMark printer, which I suspect to be the culprit, I have not had any problems.

At the moment, I have only a Netgear USB Ethernet network adaptor attached via a USB port and am having absolutely no problems at all.

Julia Petrakis Jul 26, 2006, 11:51am EDT Report Abuse
But what about the folks like myself who have neither a Seagate drive or anything else (that I know of) that you have mentioned? An incompatibility problem somewhere, yes. And in the many forums where this problem is discussed over and over, Seagate and SATA do seem to be mentioned very often, yes. But that could be because Seagate and SATA are among the most commonly installed drives, etc. There remains, it seems to me, something else that we have not yet hit upon at the very root of the problem although we do seem to be closing in on it.

J Dilly Jul 27, 2006, 10:00am EDT Report Abuse
And I agree Julia, that there could possibly be something we've missed. But it still does not rule out a hardware compatability issue that cannot be resolved by tweaking the software. Considering the number of drivers and firmware revisions (and the combinations of the two) that I went through trying to resolve my problem, I feel resigned to think that my particular problem was too firmly entrenched in the hardware to ever be corrrected in any other way than by avoiding the hardware combo.

As an update, it appears I have finally gotten the attention of Seagate beyond the "just send it back" response. I've received a flurry of e-mails requesting all sorts of information on the drive and my motherboard. I've even had to temporarily hook up the offending drive to my system to obtain some information from the properties sheets.

Julia Petrakis Jul 27, 2006, 11:06am EDT Report Abuse
I agree that it is an incompatibility and also solved my problem (I think -- there are those who have thought they solved the problem, only to have it return like some sort of bad penny weeks later) by simply removing the offending hardware. It will be interesting to see if Seagate comes up with anything and please keep us informed about what they do and/or may find. In your e-mail exchanges with them, have you referred them to this thread?

Roger Maynard Aug 02, 2006, 10:55am EDT Report Abuse
Hi folks - just to add my feedback and resolution to my own version of this issue.

Windows SBS 2003 with all latest SP, etc running on ASUS-AP130-E1/AA4 unit P4-3.2G- 1Gb RAM 2 x 160Gb HDD/SATA - MAXTOR Motherboard is ASUS PSCH-L with on board Adaptec Raid 1

After much analysis, the plan was to change the Maxtor drives for Seagate on the advice of the local distributor who had seen a lot of incompatibility issues in particular with the 160Gb Maxtors with these on board RAIDs. This is my second similar occurence, alththough the previous one wasn't giving ID 51 errors.

The nett result is that so far with the Seagate drives, there has been no re-occurrence of the errors even during an Exchange backup which certainly seemed to trigger the problems before. There seems to be something about the IO intensity with the Exchange database?

I did hit an issue which is worth bearing in mind when configuring a RAID system and that is not to use ALL of the available space on the drive for the RAID partition. The reason being is that if one of the drives fails, unless the replacement drive is EXACTLY the same geometry, the RAID controller may report a different ACTUAL size available. In my case, the existing Maxtor drives were a nominal 160Gb capacity and reported 156.8Gb wherease the Seagates were also a nominal 160Gb but reported an actual of 152.6Gb. As a consequence, the RAID controller would NOT use them on the grounds that they weren't big enough !!!

None of my Drive partitioning software would work with the RAID drivers either so I couldn't reduce the size of the original partition. Consequently I have had to install much larger (ie 200Gb) drives to overcome this problem.

Good luck to all those who are still struggling with this nasty little problem.

Roger

Peter Z Aug 04, 2006, 10:00am EDT Report Abuse
Hi everybody,
Like many of you, I bumped on this forum while searching a solution for the event id 51 error.
I had tried almost every suggestion here, except for buying another controller since that didn't solve the problem in all cases.
To make a long story short: what worked for me was replacing the sata cable and I wonder if solving the problem by replacing the onboard controller for a expansion card, maybe is because of using different cables.
A few weeks after solving this I put together a pc for a friend and that one also had the 51 error which also got solved with another cable.

I'm not saying that this is THE reason/solution but it's worth trying and quite easy.
If possible, don't replace your cable with one that came in the same package but use complete different one.

Somewhere in this thread it has been mentioned already, and I believe by setting up a kind of questionnaire it would make this problem more transparent and easier to pin down the reason(s)

denzil Aug 06, 2006, 05:56pm EDT Report Abuse
Nvidia released new AMD Nforce Drivers on July 7th if anyone wants to check into that.

greg stear Aug 12, 2006, 08:05am EDT Report Abuse
Hi everyone, struggled with this problem for near two weeks and just found what was causing my problem. Thought I'd share in case it helps anyone else. My set up was getting a bit "glitchy" so I decided to do an image. I run a 200 gig western digital raid 1 using software raid (p4s800D MB and sis180 raid conrtroller) and a 200 gig ide slave. I had been experiencing system restore problems whereby the system was complaining of lack of space and turning the service off. Due to this fact I bought a USB Western Digital hard drive and copied the contents of my slave drive to it. I also made a new image on the ext drive. It took 7 hours but all was well at this point. I then tried to restore a drive image from my slave drive and had an access denied message. In the end I reformatted the slave and copied the image from the ext to the slave. It was here that all my problems with paging errors and timeouts were first noticed in the event log after suffering BSOD's when trying to move larger amounts of data between slave and ext. The errors all pointed to my raid. The raid was deleted and the disks were checked using manufacturers diagnostics and all returned ok. The cables were swapped and fault was still present however the symptoms had changed to event 9 + 51on reboot. No more BSOD's though. The system was left on soak test for a few days (minus raid) to see if it was a particular disc. By a quirk of coincidence I decided to shift my virus check to 4 in the morning. Each morning there would be an event 9 + 51 at 4: 23. I ran a virus check to see if I could catch it and lo and behold 23 minutes after I started the check it tried to access the ext hard drive. With this information and a bit of googling I was able to trace the fault to the raid controller and enhanced USB controller sharing the same IRQ. After changing the location of the Belkin USB/Firewire card and the system allocating it an IRQ not shared with the raid controller; the system has been re-raided and all errors have gone. NO errors on moving large quantities of data anywhere or whenever the ext drive is accessed. Sorry its a bit "war and piece" but just something else to check. Good luck.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.