Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1355 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 23 - 02:49am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Julia Petrakis Aug 12, 2006, 11:14am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
That is actually very interesting, because one thing that has popped up quite frequently along with raids (whatever they are) and various controllers is USB conflicts.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jon Iliz Aug 22, 2006, 02:48am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation

Tom Clarke Aug 23, 2006, 02:10pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Event ID 5, 11 and 9...
Hi, new here so bare with me!
I've read alot of these problems and i'm having the same. But has anyone noticed that the majority of these errors are coming from our Maxtor hard drives?? I have a Maxtor 60gb HD, and I've only started getting these event id 5, 11 and 9 problems since I added more RAM.... so whether this proves it has something to do with the cables, or even static, it could be - as I got 5 event id 5's in a row - about 2 seconds apart as soon as windows booted up after adding the memory. Its not been as bad since, but the problem is still their. It comes I know it happens as my HD makes a clicking noise each time - the same noise it makes when I restart the computer, strange. So for it to make a noise, it has to be a hardware/internal problem really.
But whether or not I'd reccomend backing up your HD's i dont know. It is very very worrying everytime I hear the noise, so I guess it cant hurt to back everything up. But like I said, I think the 'Maxtor' hard drives should be looked into deeper for problems (website, support etc) and maybe its even worth just re-arranging the cables from the HD - not unplugging, just making the computer tidier inside. This problems only happend to me since I moved the wires around to install new memory!

J Dilly Aug 23, 2006, 05:08pm EDT Report Abuse
Tom,

I would highly suggest running memtest386.exe against your new memory since your problem started when you added it. These errors can be produced from memory problems because Windows uses main memory to cache write operations to the drive. Even memory that was good when first installed can go bad rather quickly (I should know after I had one stick of very expensive memory die on me after only a month).

Kimho Sithane Aug 24, 2006, 11:47pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi!
About event ID 51. I have never noticed that error before today. Don't know, what causes that. My computer: HP Pavilion with AMD 2600+ 512Mt 40Gt Seagate IDE Sil3112A SATA PCI Card with 2 Maxtor 160Gt external SATA drive. Situation: I has copied 5Gt ISO-file to my 40Gt drive with MD5 checking file. All fine. But if I copy that big file to external SATA drive, everything is fine too. But if I want to copy a big file from external SATA drive to another external SATA drive, the big file corrupts. I measure transfer speeds from SATA to SATA is 50-56Mt/s (very high) and from 40Gt IDE to SATA only 20-27MT/s. Nothing freezes but SATA to SATA transfering just make corrupt files (only with bigger than 1Gt files). My only solution since today has copied big files via 40Gt drive (strange but it works). Parts tested with many combinations and separately, nothing wrong. So my summary: Sil3112A cannot control 2 high speed SATA drive, system cannot control high speed transfers (chipset drivers, virtual memory or something strange element) or something really strange...

Jaroslaw Kawecki Aug 25, 2006, 06:48am EDT Report Abuse
Hi everyone. I had the same problem on my system:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model: P5LD2-V
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 0603 , 05/09/2006
1 GB RAM
Intel RAID Controller: Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller
Hard Drive Write Cache Enabled: Yes
Size: 465.7 GB
Number of Hard Drives: 2
Hard Drive Member 1: ST3250624NS
Hard Drive Member 2: ST3250624NS
Number of Volumes: 1

and I found solution for my system. Probably it will help other users. I noticed when I switching memory usage from "System cache" to "Programs" the problem disappeared. I started digging these symptoms and I found interesting articles:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330174&sd=RMVP. (Second part after MORE INFORMATION).
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/r...29933.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/r...29939.mspx

I think this can explain why this error can cause EVENT ID -51 on many different systems.
WORKAROUND:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\SystemPages setting value: 0xFFFFFFFF works fine.

I wonder if this solution help You.
J.Kawecki

Dig Dug Aug 25, 2006, 11:34am EDT Report Abuse
Ok, I followed this topic for a long time now, everybody has come with the sollution, but no real cause->solution has been found.
No hardware manufacturers nor Microsoft has any solution for the problem or tried to create one.

For now I think it's best that everyone just posts his/hers configuration like this so we can pin down the problem...

I havn't seen any ID51 since my last post. I changed the MAXTOR 80Gb SATA-1 drives to HITACHI 160Gb SATA-1 and no event ID51 since then.
I've seen the problem on multiple machines but ALL had MAXTOR or SEAGATE SATA-1 drives (80Gb or less).

Might be an MAXTOR/SEAGATE problem? Or an old SATA problem just like Nvidia had with Maxtor SATA drives.... (See: http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/std_...faqid=2685)

Mariusz Olszewski Aug 29, 2006, 08:53am EDT Report Abuse
hi, i just registered to add my 2 cents as i got the same problems as everyone here.
random freezes reported as event ID's 9 or 51 or both started happening "out of nowhere" 3 moths ago and occured almost once a week.
what i did was simply changed cables connecting my Seagate SATA drives to both PSU and controllers.
i also reseated memory modules and gave up overclocking CPU.
ever since i have had no lockups at all for the last month.
oh yes, i also downgraded intel matrix storage drivers to 5.1.0.1022.

Seagate SATA Barracuda 7200.9.160811
Abit AI7 uGuru
Pentium 4 2.4ghz Northwood
memory: 2 x 512 Twinmos DDR 400, dual channel
Windows XP Pro SP2

Filip Ziemba Aug 29, 2006, 12:24pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi everybody!

In my case an event 51 occurs only while booting windows XP and it happens rarely (twice a week). But, when it happens the system boots for about 3 minutes, what makes me nervous.
After that, the system runs well and I don't have any problems.
I wonder whether it is due to hard disk or disk controller, because sometimes i receive an event 51 from my pen drive which is connected via USB port ?!?!

I've noticed that this event is common among Segate disks users, but my disk has passed all physical tests in Seatools and only logical structure of files was a little bit interrupted...

So everything (system, games, applications) is working fine, the thing is that sometimes my system boots too long.

Any ideas?!

WinXP SP2
Gigabyte K8N SLI
GeForce 6600 GT
Seagate SATA II 160 GB
939 Athlon 64 3200
Dual Channel Good Ram 1 GB

Jaroslaw Kawecki Aug 29, 2006, 05:18pm EDT Report Abuse
Did you try my solution? It really works! This is rather XP problem with page table entries that Windows XP must maintain and in extreme cases the page table entries may be exhausted

Jon Iliz Aug 29, 2006, 05:49pm EDT Report Abuse
Jaroslaw,

My earlier solution of rebuilding the disk worked for 5 days then the problem started reoccurring. (XP SP2)

So yesterday I have tried your solution and the problem is still there. Did I miss something?

What I did was:
1) In Windows Explorer, right-click your hard-disk, and then click Properties.b. Click the Hardware tab. c. Click the hard disk, and then click Properties.d. Click the Policies tab. e. Click to clear the Enable write caching on the disk check box, and then click OK two times.f. Repeat steps c-e for each hard disk that is installed in your computer.
2) Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties to open the System Properties dialog box.2.Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance click Settings.3.Under Performance Options, click the Advanced tab.4.Under Memory Usage, click to select Programs, if it is not already selected.5.Click OK.

steve fowler Aug 29, 2006, 06:25pm EDT Report Abuse
Cheers Mang - did what you said and emptied the prefetch folder - no damn error 51 anymore :)

Jaroslaw Kawecki Aug 29, 2006, 06:50pm EDT Report Abuse
Jon Iliz,
Once again: You only have to start regedit.exe and set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\SystemPages to value: 0xFFFFFFFF.
This is enough. (article: http://support.microsoft.... Second part "workaround")

I wonder if this solution helps You.

Filip Ziemba Aug 29, 2006, 09:31pm EDT Report Abuse
Fine, but it doesn't fix tha cause. it just disables this function that causes the problem
...it's not a solution for me...

denzil Aug 30, 2006, 06:22am EDT Report Abuse
Here's a recap of my past posts:

1. Error started with new PC. Long boot-ups with event 51 and disc errors. Un-installed Nvidia IDE drivers and problem disappeared.

2. Erased/Reloaded PC and HDD remained fine, but DVD-ROM started producing error id 51 randomly. Always happened right after inserting a disc.

Now, just erased/reloaded PC again ( I install/Play with alot of crap) and no 51 errors at all. The only difference is that on the last two installs, I had my 160GB 7200.9 SATA II Seagate partitioned into two drives but I have it as one now. I have no idea what to make of this!

Asus A8N5X
A64 3500 + S939
1GB Corsair VS in Dual Channel
16o GB Seagate 7200.9 SATA II
Sapphire Radeon x700 Pro PCI-E
Lite-On DVD-ROM
Samsung DVD-RW/RAM
XP Pro SP2 / Fully updated

Jaroslaw Kawecki Aug 30, 2006, 06:56am EDT Report Abuse
Filip Ziemba,

This is misunderstanding.
The only, THE ONLY, tHe OnLy you have do is setting KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\SystemPages to value: 0xFFFFFFFF !!!
You don't have to change Memory Usage performance (Programs/System Cache) nor turn off the "Enable write caching on the disk" feature, change drivers, etc.
Explanation: Setting SystemPages to value: 0xFFFFFFFF, "Maximize system pages. The system creates the largest number of page table entries possible within physical memory. The system monitors and adjusts this value dynamically when the configuration changes."
"Note 0xFFFFFFFF is the safest value however a value greater than the default but less than the maximum may provide better results" (Microsoft).
Do NOT set "0" (autoconfigure) on XP, it makes problems: system unstable or even data lost. I test it!
You can always export this key or write its default value to import/change it later.
In my system the default value was 0x000c3000(798720).
"System PTEs Paging file virtual memory addresses are mapped to physical memory addresses by means of a page table"."System PTEs (page table entries) are small kernel-mode buffers of memory that are used to communicate with the disk I/O subsystem", (also USB storage, I think), "and the network. Each PTE represents a page frame and contains information necessary for the VMM to locate a page" (Microsoft). If PTEs run out (slow transfer a large amount of data /eg.RAID1/, I/O driver delay (bug), etc) it is a problem with I/O devices. I also found information about system with two monitors (also I/O device)

ONCE AGAIN !
The only, THE ONLY, tHe OnLy you have do is setting KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\SystemPages to value: 0xFFFFFFFF !!!

"Note 0xFFFFFFFF is the safest value however a value greater than the default but less than the maximum may provide better results" (Microsoft).

I HAVE CHECKED THIS WORKAROUND. IT REALLY WORKS..

Filip Ziemba Aug 30, 2006, 10:05am EDT Report Abuse
@Jaroslaw Kawecki
OK. I'm going to try this.
THX

Jon Iliz Aug 30, 2006, 03:20pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi Jaroslaw,

Last night I made the FFFFFFFF registry settting like you recommended and my system did not make it through the evening without the error 51.

Before I came to work I reset the page caching and restarted the system to re-test with the FFFFFFFF still in place. I dont have much confidence the situation will be any different.

It seems what works for you may not work for others and I have not seen any analysis roadmap from anyone to actually determine what actually needs to happen from one varying configuration to another.

Everyone here is working blindfolded on how to deal with this and with Microsofts lack of public tools I dont see this getting any better.

Jaroslaw Kawecki Aug 30, 2006, 05:33pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi Jon Iliz,
I have read all your post again. Could you give me more information about your system? MB, disk, disk controller, memory. How even 51 occurring, groups of events, at boot time, etc? Is event 51 occurring alone or other errors also exist? Could you check, what is the state of primary and secondary IDE channels (transfer type)?

Jon Iliz Aug 30, 2006, 08:29pm EDT Report Abuse

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.