Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1878 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 07:59pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Julia Petrakis Oct 19, 2006, 04:01pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
So, in our effort to get to the bottom of this, what specifically is different about your new enclosure?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Julia Petrakis Oct 19, 2006, 04:08pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Thanks, Enis.

So, I did not have a SATA drive.

What functional differences are there in the IDE and SATA drives and would one ever have the SATA rather than the IDE in an ordinary cheap off-the-shelf computer such as mine?

Patrick Drd Oct 19, 2006, 04:17pm EDT Report Abuse
I think that the old enclosure was somehow buggy,
I am going to return it back for RMA to Transcend,
after much search I couldn't find anything about that,

my personal conclusion is that it has to do with defective hardware, not windows,
however, the disk is not the only culprit,
there could be others.

Enis Sarac Oct 19, 2006, 07:42pm EDT Report Abuse
Julia Petrakis said:
Thanks, Enis.

So, I did not have a SATA drive.

What functional differences are there in the IDE and SATA drives and would one ever have the SATA rather than the IDE in an ordinary cheap off-the-shelf computer such as mine?

This is going to be a somewhat long answer to your questions but I prefer to be thorough in my answers so I hope you don't get bored.

Well, the functional difference between a SATA drive and an IDE drive is that an IDE drive transfers data in parallel bursts (hence the need for the thick ribbon cable that has all these wires parallel to each other) and a SATA drive transfers data in serial bursts (which enables the use of a much thinner cable). This is the only difference between SATA drives and IDE drives in the way they function. Theoretically, SATA drives have the capacity for higher and more efficient data transfers but today's hard drives benefit very little from this technology, if at all. As even the fastest SATA drives that are out on the market such as the WD Raptors are limited to 80MBs in terms of transfer rate, the benefits of SATA will take years to be fully realized. SATA controllers do work a bit more efficiently in the way they are designed than IDE controllers however, so the SATA drives will appear to run a bit faster than IDE drives. The difference is not earth shattering. As a sidenote, the SATA technology offers some features that can be implemented such as hot swapping which really have no use for consumers other than those who are running enterprise class servers (generally businesses).

The reason I talked about the above is because it ties in to your next question of whether an "ordinary cheap off-the-shelf computer" could come with a SATA drive. While I have never purchased an off-the-shelf computer simply because I like to choose all my own components, I can tell you that the answer to your question is "yes". The reason for this is that the biggest motivation for corporations to deliver technologies to the market is to make older technologies obselete, forcing consumers to buy new components that are going to be compatible with the new technologies that have been released. For instance, if you buy a PCI Express graphics card, you are going to have to buy a motherboard that supports PCI Exporess. If you buy DDR-II RAM, you are going to have to buy a motherboard that supports it. And If you buy a SATA hard drive, you are going to have to buy either a motherboard that has a SATA controller or add-on card that has a SATA controller. My point is that the SATA technology is being pushed to the market regardless of whether it has any practical benefits or not so you will get to see SATA hard drives in even the cheapest off-the-shelf computers. As a matter of fact, a few years down the line, you won't even be able to find any computers that come with IDE drives. AGP graphics cards have pretty much been phased out by now and DDR-II has finally started pushing DDR out the door (the DDR prices are now on the rise as a result of this).

The moral of the story here is that while you might find off-the-shelf cheap computers that have all the latest technologies like PCI-E, DDR-II, SATA, BTX, etc., this does not mean that these computers are necessarily better than computers with older technologies. As a matter of fact, since most of these new technologies have negligible benefits as of now, it is not hard to find a computer that has an AGP graphics card, has DDR RAM, IDE hard drives etc., that will hand its private parts to a cheap computer that is using all the latest technologies. New does not always mean improvement or quality. Moreover, as the technologies that have recently been released get to be utilized to their full potential with components that can utilize them in the future will change things, even newer technologies will get to be released by then, making the cycle start over again.

The main reason I got my SATA drives is because I hate the cable clutter and like the thin SATA cables and the fact that the Seagate hard drives I bought are using perpendicular recording doesn't hurt. They have given me headaches like this event 51 error that I never had with IDE drives however.

Julia Petrakis Oct 19, 2006, 08:09pm EDT Report Abuse
Enis:

Not at all bored. I am a person with a background in the scientific method but not specifically computers (biochemistry, actually). As a science person, with a very cheap off-the-shelf computer (4-year-old bottom-of-the-line e-Machines from Circuit City, actually) that suddenly began to produce these error messages after 3 years of error-free use, I am fascinated by this problem which as indicated by this thread goes back for at least 2 years without anyone from anywhere being able to pinpoint, in general, its cause. So, I keep trying to get away from the pop-shot answers, most of which do not work universally, and to understand what conflict may be its cause.

So, I thank you for your detailed answer.

Julia

Enis Sarac Oct 19, 2006, 10:32pm EDT Report Abuse
Julia Petrakis said:
Enis:

Not at all bored. I am a person with a background in the scientific method but not specifically computers (biochemistry, actually). As a science person, with a very cheap off-the-shelf computer (4-year-old bottom-of-the-line e-Machines from Circuit City, actually) that suddenly began to produce these error messages after 3 years of error-free use, I am fascinated by this problem which as indicated by this thread goes back for at least 2 years without anyone from anywhere being able to pinpoint, in general, its cause. So, I keep trying to get away from the pop-shot answers, most of which do not work universally, and to understand what conflict may be its cause.

So, I thank you for your detailed answer.

Julia

This is really interesting! An e-machine that is 4 years old would neither have SATA nor RAID. More interestingly, you stated that the machine has been working fine for 3 years and started having this problem only in the last year. Something must have obviously changed but I take it that you haven't done any changes to the hardware? It sounds like this problem popped up without you making any modifications to your e-machine so I take it that this didn't start after something like you reformatting the drive, re-installing Windows, etc. either. This leaves the possibilty of a Windows update causing the issue in your case. Someone had stated earlier in this thread that the problem could possibly be caused by a security update. If so however, the problem shouldn't exist with a fresh Windows installation (using the original Windows CD which has not been slipstreamed and doesn't contain any service packs, patches, etc.) and yet it does.

I can't remember if anyone said that they are having this problem with Linux. Is anyone here using Linux having this problem?

greg stear Oct 19, 2006, 11:06pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi everyone...again. Last posted back in August with this problem. Still amazed this thread just goes on and on. I'm still error free so I guess I was lucky in finding the solution for me. Stating the obvious, these error messages signify that corruption of data during a transfer between memory and device or vice versa has or will occur. There must be hundreds of different symptoms but the cause must be hardware (Internal HDD, USB HDD, USB devices, Motherboard, CPU, Cable or Memory) or BIOS system/resource conflicts. IMO the troublesome ones are mostly system resource conflicts between internal and external devices (namely USB devices and internal HDD with their controllers during disk activity) very random symptoms make it exremely difficult to diagnose and fix. This is probably the reason why this thread, and the hundreds of people who have posted solutions, has not died. It appears to be the "common cold" for a lot of pc's at home similar symptoms but no cure. If its happened all of a sudden and you haven't added any new devices then I would scandisk the drives with the manufacturers utility and believe the result. Then go onto cables/connectors, re-seating / swapping memory (one module at a time) Once the hardware has been confimed (by substitution and patience) I would then look at external USB devices (remove if possible) make sure that any IRQ for your external USB devices is not the same as for any RAID controller (if you are using one) if it is and your using a PCI based USB card swap it to another slot, if no joy, flash your bios, if still no joy.....buy a new system, taking care to smash the old one up with a sledgehammer. Did it once with a laptop....highly recommended. It may be the only way to save your sanity! Good luck peeps.

Chris Stone Oct 20, 2006, 03:54pm EDT Report Abuse
OK, I finally have a solution to my problem.

It turns out Azureus was responsible for locking my system up, and creating those spurious event 11, 51, 5, and ATAPI disk errors.

Since I switched to uTorrent, not a SINGLE event log was in my machine and it's rock solid.

Stoneman

Julia Petrakis Oct 21, 2006, 12:45pm EDT Report Abuse
The event errors were finally pinpointed to some sort of USB conflict involving the Lexmark USB printer which the Event ID identified as Harddisk1. In fact, the computer had only one hard drive (Harddisk0). Once I gave up the printer, I had no further problems. It is interesting, however, that my present newer Dell computer also has trouble identifying correctly the hardware that is plugged into its USB ports including a different Lexmark printer and my memory stick..

Mike L. Oct 22, 2006, 03:16am EDT Report Abuse
While I have never posted in this thread before (or have I? :P), I thought that I should add to your point about my own encounter with malfunctioning and strangely behaving USB ports.

A few days ago I had to go and set up a computer up at a friends house; albeit it was a pretty old one too (PIII 1GHz). In the midst of double checking everything to make sure that I hadn't left anything out, I went to test his printer for him (it too was a Lexmark) and make sure that it was functioning properly. Anyways, all seemed well ... until I tried to scan something that is. Right away, as soon it begun, the PC rebooted on me ... just like that. So I said to myself, "What the hell is this!?". Waited for Windows to load back up and tried again. Only this time, the PC completely shut off on me and never started back up again. Now, not only was I frustrated, but slighty afraid as well. I then thought to myself, since I wasn't using the USB ports that weren't directly connected to motherboard (i.e on the actual I/O plate), I was using the ones that were basically addons that connected through a wire onto the motherboard. I quickly made the decision and plugged the Lexmark into a spare USB port on back I/O plate. I shut off the power bar, reset the connection and booted the PC back up. Low and behold, I scanned and printed something without a hitch! Beware that this was not a lucky guess, but proved to be true with two other devices which are now safely connected in their respective ports on the back I/O plate. Pretty messed up, eh? :D

Chris Stone Oct 22, 2006, 12:20pm EDT Report Abuse
It appears my earlier conclusion was incorrect. My computer continues to lock up randomly. I also still get those same event logs (11, 5, 51, etc).

I am going to purchase a new motherboard next month. I'll update everyone once I do that.

Stoneman
:X

Julia Petrakis Oct 22, 2006, 12:32pm EDT Report Abuse
Very common, actually, according to this thread, that things appear briefly to be fixed only to revert back to errors. I'm sorry .....

Interesting that someone else found more errors when using a plug-in USB hub, which is when my first errors began to appear.

Chris Stone Oct 23, 2006, 12:01pm EDT Report Abuse
My keyboard is USB... that's about it. I have a game controller that is USB, but I don't own any USB hard drives. I guess I could disconnect my 250 gig SATA drive to see if it locks up with that disconnected, but I bet you it will lock up. I'm convinced my on-board controllers are unreliable. I think I'd rather just upgrade the whole motherboard than continue spending bits of cash here and there on individual components.

Last night I checked the voltages coming off the hard drives, and they were well within specification. Oh well.

Stoneman
:angry:

Julia Petrakis Oct 23, 2006, 12:07pm EDT Report Abuse
Chris Stone said:
My keyboard is USB... that's about it. I have a game controller that is USB, but I don't own any USB hard drives. I guess I could disconnect my 250 gig SATA drive to see if it locks up with that disconnected, but I bet you it will lock up. I'm convinced my on-board controllers are unreliable. I think I'd rather just upgrade the whole motherboard than continue spending bits of cash here and there on individual components.

Last night I checked the voltages coming off the hard drives, and they were well within specification. Oh well.

Stoneman
:angry:

Note that in my case, the problem was not actually a hard drive, but a printer that the Event ID - 51- identified as harddisk1. Your real hard drives should start at 0. So check if one of your two USB components (keyboard or game controller) are involved in some way. But I think I can safely say that everyone participating in this thread recognizes your :angry:

Jon Iliz Oct 23, 2006, 06:34pm EDT Report Abuse
There are now strong parallels with the way I am using my system compared to you others.

My USB PCI controller has 5 connections for USB devices and I guess that this card acts as a hub for all 5 available USB connections. This is the place I get all the errors.

If I dont use the PCI controller and instead the 2 USB devices built into the machine I get no errors at all and life is grand. This is similar to what Mike L described.

I wonder, if I got rid of the 5 connection port and went to a barebones minimum 1 connection card if the errors go away.

Mike L. Oct 23, 2006, 07:09pm EDT Report Abuse
Jon Iliz said:
If I dont use the PCI controller and instead the 2 USB devices built into the machine I get no errors at all and life is grand. This is similar to what Mike L described.

That is so weird how that happens, isn't it? Thankfully I know my stuff, and that I was able to resolve the problem right there on the spot, or else I would've been sratching my head up until now, lol.

Honestly though, I don't know how I came to that conclusion, I guess it was just luck and quick thinking. For some reason, those bloody USB ports did not want to play nice with his Lexmark printer, everytime I tried to do something the computer would either reboot or completely shut off. Whatever, it's out of my hands now.

Chris Stone Oct 24, 2006, 10:47am EDT Report Abuse
I'd like to thank everyone who's replied to my frustrating messages. I really appreciate it.

So today I decided to totally disconnect my 250 gig WD Sata drive. I never got a single event 51, 11, 5, or 9 in my SYSTEM event log.

Coincidence?

I doubt it. Time will tell. I've decided to start up uTorrent and begin downloading 60 gigs of videos, apps, etc, as a test :)

I suspect my machine will again be logging more event log messages - I'll check tonight.
A local computer supplier sells vantec SATA II controller cards for 28 bucks - not a bad price. I don't need big performance here.

But I'll wait at least a week before I decide to buy the SATA controller card. I need absolutely no problems until then. If my system continues to lock, I'll just replace the whole damn motherboard.

:(
Stoneman

Chris Stone Oct 25, 2006, 07:30pm EDT Report Abuse
A quick update - it's been well over 36 hours now, and not a single event log error was recorded that had any problem with my IDE controller. Next week I'm buying a Vantec SATA-II controller card to see if the issue comes back. Unfortunately, I have no spare machine I can test this SATA hard drive on.

Stoneman

Julia Petrakis Oct 25, 2006, 10:07pm EDT Report Abuse
Chris Stone said:
A quick update - it's been well over 36 hours now, and not a single event log error was recorded that had any problem with my IDE controller. Next week I'm buying a Vantec SATA-II controller card to see if the issue comes back. Unfortunately, I have no spare machine I can test this SATA hard drive on.

Stoneman

Thanks, Stoneman!

Filip Ziemba Oct 26, 2006, 09:52am EDT Report Abuse
Hi everybody!

Thanks to Jaroslaw's solution my problem with event 51 has gone.
I have set KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\SystemPages to value: 0xFFFFFFFF and since that i haven't noticed any event 51 and the system boots fast without any lags!!

WinXP SP2
Gigabyte K8N SLI
GeForce 6600 GT
Seagate SATA II 160 GB
939 Athlon 64 3200
Dual Channel Good Ram 1 GB

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.