Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 895 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 06:45pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Robert Kelly Oct 29, 2006, 07:18am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I have experienced this on my last computer and now on my new one.The hard drive on the latter was replaced under guarantee without success. On startup I can find 12 or so error messages. If I then restart generally there are no error messages. Is this significant?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Julia Petrakis Oct 29, 2006, 11:18am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Robert Kelly said:
I have experienced this on my last computer and now on my new one.The hard drive on the latter was replaced under guarantee without success. On startup I can find 12 or so error messages. If I then restart generally there are no error messages. Is this significant?

If this is a restart, as opposed to turn off, wait, turn back on, then I would wonder if some drivers had not loaded completely on the first try but with bits still in memory were able to load completely on the second try. That's just a wild and relatively ignorant guess.

Chris Stone Oct 29, 2006, 01:18pm EST Report Abuse
It's now been almost a week since I had a hard lock up. No more event log errors. I'll get a PCI SATA-II controller card and update everyone later on.

Stoneman

Bob Andrews Nov 01, 2006, 10:55am EST Report Abuse
Has anyone investigated power supply issues as possible causes of these errors? I have a system that worked fine for a couple of years with one IDE drive and two SATA drives, and then started to get these Event 51's on the SATA drives with increasing frequency over a couple of months, to the point that SATA drives were unusable, with almost constant "clicking" emanating from them as the event log filled with an endless stream of these errors. I tested the SATA drives by moving them to a different computer, where they worked perfectly. And I found that the system worked perfectly with only the IDE drive attached. Then I measured voltages on the power connectors, and found my 5 V feed was a steady 4.7 V on the bad computer (using an Antec TruePower 380W), vs. 5.0 V on the good one (a Antec SmartPower 350W). (12 V feeds measured almost exactly 12 V on both power supplies).

I read somewhere that the tolerance for 5 V supply was +/- 5%, so the 4.7 V was a shade below the minimum. So yesterday I swapped the power supplies from the two computers, and presto, the SATA drives operated 24 hours without a single error. Then this morning, to test if it was a fluke, I swapped the power supply back and immediately on bootup I had a string of Event 51 errors. So my theory is that my power supply deteriorated over time and that these SATA drives for whatever reason are more sensitive to the drop in voltage than the other components in the system. Unfortunately I don't have any original voltage readings to confirm that the current 4.7 V is actually lower than it used to be, but it seems reasonable to believe that it was within tolerance when new. Would be interested to hear if anyone else suffering from Event 51's has made any voltage measurements.

btw... I found that the voltages reported by the motherboard sensors were off significantly vs. what I measured with my multi-meter, so I wouldn't put any faith in the motherboard readings.

Chris Stone Nov 01, 2006, 01:25pm EST Report Abuse
That's interesting news. I'll have to measure the voltages again using my DMM. The last time I checked them with 3 drives connected and 2 DVD's, it was all within tolerance.

I still plan on getting a SATA-II controller card, but not until a few more weeks from now. I'm happy with the system being stable with one drive for now.

Stoneman
:D

Michel Hoek Nov 02, 2006, 03:37am EST Report Abuse
Hi all,

Last sunday I have replaced all 6 HD's in our two servers. The Maxtor SATAII 160GB (Type 6V160E0) HD's have been replaced by Western Digital SATAII 160GB (Type WDC WD1600JS). It took me about 3 hours including the RAID mirroring.

The servers are running without problems so far, but sometimes the problem occurred only after 10-14 days. I will keep you guys posted on how the servers behave...

David Blake Nov 02, 2006, 04:03am EST Report Abuse
Hi guys, I'm a first time poster, but a loooong time reader of this particular thread.

I began getting these event messages about 6 weeks ago, and since then have been trawling the net, mostly without success, for a solution.

I have begun to think that the PSU could be to blame here but as I have no spares, I have no way of verifying this. But anyway, here are my symptoms and I'd be interested to hear from anyone with similar:

When I boot my machine first thing in the morning, it nearly always fails to detect my SATA HDD (IDE CDROM and DVD are detected fine prior to this) and stops with a 'please insert boot media...' error. If I then leave it on that screen for about 5 mins, hit the reset button the machine will boot...albeit very slowly. A reboot after this then starts absolutely fine and I can use my machine all day without problems.

What's interesting is if I dont leave it at the boot error screen and immediately hit reset, it'll detect the drive but then hang (before betting to Windows splash screen). This will go on for about 5 minutes worth of reboots before finally booting fine. It seems to be related to the amount of time the machine has been powered up for and not the amount of reboots its given.

Thanks in advance guys, this has been a major pain for far too long!
Dave

Ray Saunders Nov 03, 2006, 07:48pm EST Report Abuse
My problem turned out to be a sick Power Supply. Put in a new one and the problems has gone away.

Julia Petrakis Nov 03, 2006, 08:38pm EST Report Abuse
Ray Saunders said:
My problem turned out to be a sick Power Supply. Put in a new one and the problems has gone away.

The plot thickens and so to summarize, we now seem to have as sources of the problem:

SATA/RAID
USB ports
and newly:
power supplies.

I am hoping that particularly some of the many who were talking about SATA/RAID will check their power supplies and see if that changes anything.

Dave Murek Nov 05, 2006, 05:52pm EST Report Abuse

Julia Petrakis Nov 05, 2006, 08:54pm EST Report Abuse

Michel Hoek Nov 06, 2006, 03:08am EST Report Abuse
The Wiki says it all:

Native Command Queuing (NCQ) is a technology designed to increase performance of SATA hard disks by allowing the individual hard disk to receive more than one I/O request at a time and decide which to complete first. Using detailed knowledge of its own seek times and rotational position, the drive can compute the best order to perform the operations. This can reduce the amount of unnecessary seeking (going back-and-forth) of the drive's heads, resulting in increased performance (and slightly decreased wear of the drive) for workloads where multiple simultaneous read/write requests are outstanding, most often occurring in server-type applications.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing

J Dilly Nov 06, 2006, 09:28am EST Report Abuse
To Bob Andrews,

This is very interesting. I also have an Antec TruePower PSU (albeit 550W vs 350W). What I have noticed is that even though replacing my Seagate Barracuda drive has resolved the event 51s for me, I have continued to have weird power related problems, mostly with my video card (it reports insufficient power at boot, but upon reboot - no full shutdown - all problems go away).

You actually may be onto something and it may be that certain drives are more susceptible to insufficient voltages. I am investigating replacing my PSU, and once I do, I'll probably reintroduce the Barracuda drive into my system and I'll let everyone here know.

Keep posing!

J Dilly

Chris Stone Nov 06, 2006, 11:03am EST Report Abuse
I wanted to update everyone here on my progress.

I have put off buying a SATA card until the 15th, but my computer has been rock solid since I removed my 250 gig WD SATA drive. Not even a single event ID error I was geting before (5, 11, 9, and 51's). I attribute this to either a defective HDD or onboard controller. I'll know which is which on the 15th.

Stoneman

Bob Andrews Nov 06, 2006, 12:27pm EST Report Abuse
J Dilly said:
This is very interesting. I also have an Antec TruePower PSU

After my last post I found several interesting links that showed others with low voltage on older Antec TruePower PSU's, especially this one: http://www.pjrc.com/about/rambling/antec.html If you read it all the way to the bottom you'll be amazed at how many people have had similar problems! And this review shows a voltage table for a brand new Antec TruePower 380 with the 5v rail only supplying about 4.5 V:. http://compreviews.about.com/library/weekly/aafpr-ZalmanZM400BAPS.htm So maybe I did stumble on to something.

The good news is that my power supply was 2 years, 10 months old, and it turns out it had a 3 year warranty. Newegg rocks, because they still had my Jan 2004 order info online, so I downloaded a copy of the invoice and sent it to Antec, who promptly issued an RMA. The power supply is on its way back to them as we speak. Also: a remarkable thing happened when I called Antec: a real live person answered the call on the second ring! So even though the quality issue leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, the 3 year warranty and instant customer service already has me feeling better about Antec.

J Dilly Nov 06, 2006, 04:27pm EST Report Abuse
Bob Andrews said:

The good news is that my power supply was 2 years, 10 months old, and it turns out it had a 3 year warranty.

LOL. Guess what, my Antec is exactly the same age! I'm going to test my voltages tonight and will call Antec in the morning if they show the same low voltage.

Ron Kwestroo Nov 07, 2006, 07:40pm EST Report Abuse
Hi all, like you found my way here after many hours on Google, this problem has only presented itself lately, Im keen to try Jaroslaw's solution.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\SystemPages setting value: 0xFFFFFFFF

How do i go about this? If I double click on System Pages I get the value of c3000, do I just change that?
The data value is 0x000c3000(798720) - is that the one I change and how please.

PS I've backed the registry up just in case.
any guidance apreciated.

J Dilly Nov 08, 2006, 12:39pm EST Report Abuse
Just wanted to let everyone know that I checked my voltages and as suspected, my 5V rail is only providing 4.6V. I have contacted Antec and they are going to RMA my power supply and replace it. Once I have the new power supply, I will reintroduce the Seagate drive back into my system and see if that eliminates my event 51s.

Ron Kwestroo Nov 09, 2006, 01:43am EST Report Abuse
Well blow me down with a feather, 3 days of 5 minutes boot ups, each with at least 7 error 51's associated with each one.
Get home from work today, powered up and no problems at all, so booted again, same result.!!!
Bloody computers, worse than cars, one day they run great, then ..........

Bob Andrews Nov 10, 2006, 01:22am EST Report Abuse
J Dilly said:
Just wanted to let everyone know that I checked my voltages and as suspected, my 5V rail is only providing 4.6V. I have contacted Antec and they are going to RMA my power supply and replace it. Once I have the new power supply, I will reintroduce the Seagate drive back into my system and see if that eliminates my event 51s.

I just received UPS shipping notification from Antec that my replacement power supply is on it's way back with delivery scheduled Nov 15, so I'll let you know what model they supply and will measure voltages first time I fire it up.

I been starting to wonder how many of the problems that posters on this board solved by replacing motherboards or USB cards etc. were just different manifestations of this same power supply problem. eg. one poster (on a different website) thought his Asus board used more 5V juice and less 12V to power the CPU than other motherboards. So it stands to reason that changing a motherboard might ease the load on the 5V rail, and "solve" the problem. Similarly, USB ports draw 5V power, so it would be plausible that a lot of "USB conflicts" could actually be power supply problems. I know I'm going to be pulling out my multimeter every time I have a crash from now on.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.