Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1132 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 06:31pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Moto Guzzi Jan 19, 2005, 01:17pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I am sorry, but I have to differ with you. I have three not so old harddrives of different makles, and they all do it.

I don't say it cannot be the disk, but in these cases unlikely, unless diskmanufacturers are lying.

In my case, not the HDD...How many HDD's must I buy before one is going to work ?
I got:
1-Western Digital 40G
2-Maxtor 40G
3-Seagate 120G[8mb]..New...They all do it.

>If you go to Maxtor website and search for this, they are aware of it, but deny that it has something to do with the disk.

>>I put my money on Processor/HT & Intel Chipset & Intel drivers as well as Microsoft Main drivers like Hal>dll & processor.sys & Intelppm.sys etc. This problem is also "backtimed" in the Eventviewer, meaning it's written in the logfile long after it happened between other activities.

I think this is a classic case of where programmers just cannot pinpoint the deviation in hardware behaviour, which may be acceptable, cause it's diff Intel chipsets & diff motherboards.....Timing somewhere>

I have the feeling the selution ultimately lies with MS, but they have not the brains for it currently......
>And further, even if it does not show this error, something may well still cooks on all PC's.

Remember....PC's are not perfect....Motherboard design ??

I think one should do a proper suvey to narrow this problem down, like....

Processor ?........The speed, maybe above 2Ghz..??
Hyperthreading Enabled ?
Memory & size[ECC or NON-ECC]
Chipset ?
Motherboard ?
BIOS ?
On board IDE ?
Antivirus type ?
Make of CDROM/CDRW's

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Moto Guzzi Jan 19, 2005, 01:33pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Nobody on the whole Internet can tell me what the "/D" means in the following phrase ??

\Device\Harddisk0\D

What does MS refers to here ?

1-Does it mean D=Disk ?
2-Or does it means drive=D, in my case the Master CDRW on IDE-2 ?

Duane Schliebe Jan 19, 2005, 08:05pm EST Report Abuse
I don't know if this helps, using your string I performed a search on Microsoft's support website.
Could the "D" be partition?

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?qu=%5CDevice%...ddisk0%5CD

Also agree with your comments, although my processor is an AMD. Clearly a hardware issue which is not dealt with properly by software.

My drives: Toshiba Deskstar 160MB 4 months old, parallel interface, no event codes to speak of ever
2 X Samsung 80GB SATA drives, 2 months old, RAID1 array Promise PCI controller card, event codes without end when EPOX motherboard SATA/RAID on-board Si3112A chipset is used, no event codes to speak of with Promise PCI controller card. Also the same situation for 2 Hitachi Deskstar 80MB SATA drives which were returned previous to purchasing the Samsung drives and Promise controller card--event codes without end as well.

Tim Hua Jan 20, 2005, 11:41pm EST Report Abuse
Does anyone know if replacing the old drive w/ a new one will get rid of this error for a while? what's the best harddrive brand that I should get? thanks.

Moto Guzzi Jan 21, 2005, 01:57pm EST Report Abuse
Buying a new drive will not solve the problem. I did just that.

Duane Schliebe Jan 21, 2005, 07:54pm EST Report Abuse
nope, 4 new drives, same problem.

Cokie 69 Jan 31, 2005, 07:43pm EST Report Abuse
Hi there,

I don't know if this can help any of you...

.... have you noticed if this event (id 51) appears along another event (id 11) re: "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\xxxx"?????.

If so, I found the root of the problem and there is nothing to worry about (at least MS says so!).

It seems that when you have an external drive connected via USB2.0 those two errors may appear, especially if W2K SP4 is installed, because of a problem of the USB driver unable to correctly terminate an I/O request by informing the SCSI bus.

Please see MS explanation:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885352

Hope it helped someone. Regards.

costa jupp Jan 31, 2005, 08:38pm EST Report Abuse
I started getting this yesterday, It happened when I turned on my computer this morning and never before.

I don't now as much as you guys about computers but I can usually solve most problems. I've running a pc which I'm pretty sure has two hd's in a Raid 0 config. And i'm runnig win xp with sp2 installed.

I read this thread earlier (well most if it) and thought ok i'll let it blow over, but 3 times with about the last 4 hours my computer has just seized up! It was as if someone just did a printscreen and that all I could see. First time I was playing a game and the second I was just browsing this thread, 3rd I was copying some files over.

I'm really scared my comp will go caput, can someone advise me what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

Wu Roy Feb 01, 2005, 03:43am EST Report Abuse
Here's my situation.
From Nov 2004 to now, it costs me so long time to start up. (nearly 5 mins or even longer) However, it's normal whenever I restart. Such error only occors when booting by power on.
In the event log, it is descriped as An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D has a bad block!
I just can't believe it, as the hard disc was newly bought, and it worked normally and smoothly before Nov.
My platform: 2500+; ABIT NF7; WD 800JB; HY512M; ASUS 50X; Elsa 9800SE. Win XP + SP2
I tried to format C: and re-install the OS, it seemed to be better in the first few days (less than 3), but now such damned error backs again. I've chkdsk my HD, and found no errors nor bad sectors. Can anyone save me from it? Best wishes!

John Smith Feb 01, 2005, 10:46am EST Report Abuse
I think these other errors relating to bad blocks and SCSI raid, and bad drivers are incorrect errors generated by Windows, which is trying to make sense over the sluggish communication with the hard drive.

Moto Guzzi Feb 10, 2005, 01:20pm EST Report Abuse
I have contacted Microsoft and Intel about this about a month ago.

1-Microsoft never replied back:How do I contact Bill Gates...I want to give him this before he calls it a day!

2-Intel replied back twice, "We are not aware of such a problem", but i just did not succeed in trying to make them aware of it......How do I make Intel waware of this ? Any suggestions.

If large companies ignore their customers, I feel like kiking out a similar error myself...

John Smith Feb 10, 2005, 03:14pm EST Report Abuse
Originally a SCSI person, I always thought IDE was junk, but got into it because their hard drive prices fell through the floor. So I forgot that IDE was never designed for anything beyond "little old lady" computer use.

At this point, I'm paying up and going back to SCSI, and demote my most reliable IDE drives for backup and archiving. SATA appears to have inherited this problem, so I'll never go that way.

Steve Burke Feb 21, 2005, 06:10am EST Report Abuse
I have been having the exact same problems.
The problems only started when I setup a RAID mirror configuration with the onboard silicon SATA.
The exact error is "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during a paging operation" A new error seems to appear every 5 minutes when the machine is idle.
I am wondering whether it is paging operations. I moved the swap file off the mirrored RAID configuration, however still no joy. Are there any other system files, registry etc. I should move off the mirrored RAID configuration?
I am wondering whether I should disable the RAID conf. and do a chkdsk -f on DR2. Currently I cant do a chkdsk without getting a "cannot complete" error.
The errors have gotten worse, and I am wondering what to do.

Has there been an update on this errors?

My system:
Win2k sp4
Maxtor 120gb SATA
Seagate 120gb SATA
Asus A7N8X Deluxe

I have gotten the latest drivers from Silicon for the SIL adapater.
Any ideas?

Bob K. Feb 21, 2005, 11:57am EST Report Abuse
Hello Everyone,
Just found this forum while searching for answers to my problems. I have had similar problems with a new Dell Server that I just got for a client of mine. Hopefully my 2 cents (or three) is relevant and helpful.
The server is a PowerEdge 1800 server, with dual 3 GHz Xeon processors, 1GB RAM and embedded SATA RAID controllers for 2 250GB WD hard drives (RAID1). I planned to use this server for regular file sharing as well as Exchange Server 2003 (Enterprise) for email. Everything went smooth with this install, but within 24 hours, workstation clients began hanging when connected to the Exchange server. In troubleshooting, I got to the Exchange server, which was completely frozen, and upon bootup, the stores would not mount, and the event logs were filled with "database is corrupt" errors.
To make a long story short, I tried reformatting 4 times and eventually got the same problem (at different times, including once during Exchange installation!). I even returned the server to Dell for a new one and had the same problems.
The problem seemed to start in the system log with an "aarich" error (aarich.sys was the controller driver)-"the request to write to the disk took an abnormally long time". I concluded that these were most likely not bad controllers, but poorly written drivers that cannot handle the RAM/disk writing demands of Exchange.
I went out and got a Promise IDE controller and used a Seagate Barracuda 300GB Ultra IDE drive and redid the installation. So for, knock on wood, everything is working fine, although I do get the error that is the subject of this discussion on every reboot-but no Exchange crashes. I'm not really worried about it, and not sure how Dell will handle the warranty, but bottom line IT WORKS.
The SATA onboard controllers were made by Adaptec, by the way. I have concluded that these controllers and/or the drivers are just incompatible with Exchange. I guess I could have tried a Promise SATA controller instead, but I just wanted this to work and have never had a problem with old reliable IDE's.

Thanks for letting me vent and I'll keep everyone updated...

-Bob K.

Moto Guzzi Feb 21, 2005, 03:16pm EST Report Abuse
I think it is now safe to say that the time has arrived for Microsoft, Intel, and the disk and motherboard manufacturers to take a re-look in depth of the PC subsystems up to the diskdrive, cause I believe all is not well, even if errors are not present.

How about this: Most PC's are using NON-ECC memory as opposed to ECC for servers. Did that Dell of prveious posts server used ECC or NON-ECC memory ??

Duane Schliebe Feb 21, 2005, 08:25pm EST Report Abuse
Steve, trash the SI on-board controller, just junk, I'm convinced.
Invest $50 in a Promise PCI controller, I did and have had nothing but peace of mind for my money...
Spent at least $50 in shipping charges RMA'ing motherboards (2) and hard disks (3) before finally pulling all my hair out and finding MY solution.
Does not apply to all, but from what I briefly read of your post, it applies to you.
Read my previous posts, about 4 in total, I think you'll agree.

AND TO ALL, THIS IS DEFINITELY A COMPATIBILITY PROBLEM.

A little SATA/RAID too soon, time for Microsoft to talk with the hardware folks.

Bob K. Feb 21, 2005, 09:38pm EST Report Abuse
The Dell server was using ECC memory. I thought of that too. I think it's just still a little too early to use SATA and RAID for large databases, especially disk-write intensive ones. It's great if your're doing simple file sharing, but not much else, yet.
Server still running .. :)

Bob Stewart Feb 22, 2005, 03:51am EST Report Abuse
Here's what you need to do:
1) get an utility from your hard drive manufacturer and test the drive. If it says it's OK, trust it.
2) Are you using the SATA controller that is built-in to the motherboard? If so, go get a PCI SATA controller...your problem will most likely be solved. End of story.

Richard Darling Feb 22, 2005, 08:56am EST Report Abuse
My previous post:

"I've been having this same problem with a Windows 2003 server. It occurs either during a backup, or when Trend Micro is runing a scan of all clients n the network. The server is running SQL 2000 and a payroll app, along with being the Trend Micro server, and that is it. Software people say it is the hardware, and hardware says the software. Two software mirrored Seagate ST336607LW SCSI 34 gb NTFS drives. The SCSI controller is an Adaptec 29320LP Ultra 320. Any new info.? Thanks."

After seeing all these posts the one thing that they all have in common is that they all are running on Microsoft operaing systems newer than Windows 2000.

My problem still happens periodically - I'm just thankful this server isn't my main server. My business apps run on HP UX UNIX and my main network PC server is Windows NT. I was planning to replace this server with a Windows 2003 server this year, but I'm going to hang tight until this problem is resolved.

It is impossible to get anyone at MS to listen to you.

As an aside - I can't run Windows update for my XP clients because of compatibilty issues with Proxy 2.0. I tried the 10 or so solutions from technet, and finally MS techs said that MS no longer supports that release of Proxy, and I'll need to upgrade to IAS. The only way I can upgrade these XP clients is by disconnecting them from the network, changing the Ip config., and oging directly through the router.

Richard

Jay Little Feb 23, 2005, 09:05pm EST Report Abuse
I am having the same problems. I just installed a 12 TB HP MSA1500 CS with 4 MS SATA Arrays into a SAN environment. The MSA is connected via a brocade switch to 3 backup servers for D2D backups. The configuration was working great for about a month and all of the sudden I started to get this error. I have all WIN2003 servers with LP8000 and Qlogic HBAs. All the systems have the latest patches and drivers. I only see the error when performing the D2D backups to the MSA. I also have a Hitachi 9570 on the SAN with volumes connected to the servers and I am able to run D2D backups with no 51 errors.

I am working with HP right now on a fix. If there is a fix!!! :-)

I would like to know if anyone else is having the same problem on the HP MSAs.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.