Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1394 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 23 - 02:50am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Julia Petrakis Nov 10, 2006, 11:08am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I been starting to wonder how many of the problems that posters on this board solved by replacing motherboards or USB cards etc. were just different manifestations of this same power supply problem. eg. one poster (on a different website) thought his Asus board used more 5V juice and less 12V to power the CPU than other motherboards. So it stands to reason that changing a motherboard might ease the load on the 5V rail, and "solve" the problem. Similarly, USB ports draw 5V power, so it would be plausible that a lot of "USB conflicts" could actually be power supply problems. I know I'm going to be pulling out my multimeter every time I have a crash from now on.

Again probably betraying my ignorance, but is there any reason why the SATA/RAID combination would be any more vulnerable to this problem than others?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Julia Petrakis Nov 10, 2006, 11:11am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Oh, and how exactly does one test the power supply (for those of us less technically inclined)?

Bob Andrews Nov 10, 2006, 01:43pm EST Report Abuse
how exactly do you test the power supply?

All you need to test for this problem is a cheap multi-meter, available at Sears or Radio-Shack for $20 or less. Then open up your PC case and find an unused power connector of the type that connects to a CD drive or IDE hard drive. I think all computers use the same color scheme: the yellow is the 12 V line, the red is 5 V, and the two black ones are the "common" or return lines. Just put the red multi-meter probe in the hole with the red wire, and the black probe in one of the holes with a black wire, and read the numbers on the meter. Anything below 4.75 V and you have a potential problem, because most hard drive manufacturers quote 5V +/- 5% as the requirement.

You could also try reading the voltages from your BIOS, or accessing the same motherboard readings with a tool like Motherboard Monitor or SpeedFan. But this has mixed results, eg. the computer I'm typing on right now shows 4.2 V with the motherboard sensor, but the full 5.0 V with my multi-meter.

I don't know the details of why the SATA drives are more sensitive to low voltage than the IDE (PATA) drives, but apparently there are some differences between the electrical interfaces of the two types of drive, eg. a table on the Seagate website shows PATA with "High 5V tolerance for legacy drives" and SATA with "Low voltage (0.25V) tolerance", but when I dug a little deeper I wasn't sure that they were talking about the same kind of tolerance that we are, i.e. the comments seemd to refer to the data signalling voltage being changed from a 5V signal to a 0.25 V signal. It's over my head, but it's enough info to make me believe there really is a meaningful difference between the way IDE and SATA drives use 5V power.

Ron Kwestroo Nov 11, 2006, 12:31am EST Report Abuse
Ok, Men, 3 days now and all is still ok.
Just one thing that I changed, not sure it it had any bearing on the result. I was running Outpost Firewall which created the following registry entry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/currentcontrolset/control/session manager/memory management/EnforceWriteProtection........ and its marked as Hexadecimal, Value Data is set at 0.

I got rid of Outpost and installed Zone Alarm 6.5, and now i could me delete the above entry. Thats the only change I have made.

J Dilly Nov 11, 2006, 09:05pm EST Report Abuse
I been starting to wonder how many of the problems that posters on this board solved by replacing motherboards or USB cards etc. were just different manifestations of this same power supply problem.

I agree. What also leans towards this conclusion is that early on when I had my initial event 51 problem, I removed my Plextor CD-RW drive and my problem went away.... for a while. It's very possible that I just eased up on the 5V usage, but as my PSU continued to supply less and less voltage, the same problem cropped up again. Another thing that supports this theory is that I noticed that when I had a CD in my DVD-RW drive at bootup, I had double or triple the number of event 51s. Since the disk was being spun up, this could cause a further drain on the 5V rail. Even now, with my video card power sentinel constantly complaining about low voltage for my video card, I've noticed an increase in the number of these low voltage reports when I leave a disk in my DVD-RW drive at bootup.

Julia Petrakis Nov 12, 2006, 12:00am EST Report Abuse
J Dilly said:
Even now, with my video card power sentinel constantly complaining about low voltage for my video card, I've noticed an increase in the number of these low voltage reports when I leave a disk in my DVD-RW drive at bootup.

I am thinking that we may finally be heading down the right track. But once again, for those of us not exactly in the know, I ask a stupid question: What is your "video card power sentinel"?

J Dilly Nov 12, 2006, 05:04pm EST Report Abuse
Julia Petrakis said:
What is your "video card power sentinel"?

On the Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT cards, it's software that monitors the voltage to the card. If it detects low voltage, it under-clocks the card. After lowering the clock speed of the GPU and memory a certain amount then if the voltage is still too low, it under-clocks it again. It will continue to repeat this cycle until the voltage is adequate, and each cycle generates a new pop-up window. When I have a CD in my DVD drive, I get between 15-20 pop-ups. When there is no CD in the drive, I get only 5-8.

Chris Stone Nov 13, 2006, 01:04pm EST Report Abuse
I've got two days until I grab a SATA-2 PCI card for my 250 drive. My system has been stable, no lock ups, not a single event log referring to an IDE device since 3.5 weeks now. So in my case, it could be:

1. Power supply too weak to provide voltage when SATA drive connected. (I'll verify this again with my digital multi meter).

2. Defective or crappy controller on motherboard. My motherboard is an RMA''d board, which means I bought it knowing it was defective. ($1 on eBay is not bad for a P4 motherboard). The only detectable problem I found was the sound (on board) didn't work. NO biggie. I bought an Audigy Card.

3. Defective SATA drive. Although the western digital utility does not show any problems, it is possible that my drive's on-board microcontroller may be out of specification.

Stay tuned for the ongoing saga with Stoneman!

Cheers and thanks for everyone who's replied

:)

Stoneman

Rosie Bianchi Nov 18, 2006, 01:57am EST Report Abuse
Ok, I've finally finished reading most of this thread. For the most part it has been helpful. I can't seem to pinpoint my problem though.

I turned on my computer around 12:00am and Windows loaded from hibernate fine and at a normal speed. However, within 5 minutes, I noticed everything was running EXTREMELY slow. After about 15 minutes of Windows being on, I recieved a blue screen that said to restart the computer if this was the first time the message had been seen. If that didn't work, it said to remove any newly installed hardware.

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. Everything is the standard products.

I went to my event log and there are probably about 100 "disk" errors that say "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation." They all started at 12:01 am.

On Thursday night, I updated Windows. I turned my laptop off shortly after doing this. I hadn't turned my computer back on until now.
On Tuesday, I installed a PCMCIA card. Syba CardBus USB 2.0 & 1394a Combo Adapter which gave me two USB ports, and two firewire ports (4-pin and 6-pin). I had my laptop on for many hours on Tuesday after this installation and then ALL day Thursday (at least 10 hours) with this card installed. I used the card a lot and didn't have any problems. The card was not in the laptop when I started receiving the above error.

So, anyways, I tried restarting my computer and it doesn' t restart. The loading Windows page goes and goes for like 5 minutes at least. I ended up just starting my computer in safe mode. It runs fine and at a normal speed in safe mode.

I have uninistalled the update that I installed on Tuesday. I have also burned a CD of all the critical data on my computer (I'm preparing for the worst!!). I don't know if uninstalling the update has fixed anything. I'm going to try restarting my computer after I post this message.

I have tried running my anti-virus program just in case, however I can not run it while in save mode.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this in my case?

If anything changes, I'll be back to update.

I really appreciate your help!

Rosie

David Blake Nov 18, 2006, 11:11am EST Report Abuse
Hi guys, an update:

After feeling sure that my power supply unit was at fault and not supplying enough juice to get everything going I changed it...and lo!...absolutely no difference!

I've now come to the conclusion that the SATA controller is the main candidate so will try to get my mitts on a cheapo SATA drive, stuff Windows on it and see if that makes any difference. The controller is integrated on the ASROCK K8S8X mobo I have so I'm starting to think the mobo is probably starting to creak.

Will check back with more info when I have it!

Julia Petrakis Nov 18, 2006, 11:12am EST Report Abuse
Hi, Rosie:

I, too, am running a Dell Inspiron laptop and have recently had two or three of those blue screens. The first go 'round, it took me quite a while to get back on board which I finally succeeded in doing. The last two times this has occurred, I got back on simply by re-booting. I, too, thought it might be related to the most recent Windows update. However, it does not seem to be related to the Event 51 error.

Rosie Bianchi Nov 19, 2006, 10:08am EST Report Abuse
So, I'm back with an update, as promised.

The windows update didn't change anything.

I wasn't able to back up my files by CD because I received the error when doing so. I however, have a 2 gb flash drive, and was able to backup almost everything. I received errors on two photos (so I lost those) and some AIM logs (which aren't really important).

I REALLY needed my computer for the Thanksgiving holiday (I have a bunch of work to do!), so I ended up calling Dell to try and get a new hard-drive. I didn't want to waste any time trying to figure anything else out.

They were actually very helpful. They had me turn my computer on and pres F12. Then, choose diagnostics. I ran the test and the hard-drive failed the test. They are sending my part tomorrow and I should receive it Tuesday. So, it's a good thing I ended up extending my warranty.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help. I'll be back to let you know how things go with my new hard-drive.

Rosie

Bob Andrews Nov 19, 2006, 01:33pm EST Report Abuse
Just a final update to anyone who may have been following my earlier posts.... I received the replacement power supply from Antec -- they actually upgraded me from my 380 W original to a 430 W unit. I installed it four days ago and have thoroughly thrashed the system with huge file transfers and video capture/rendering with three hard disks churning (two SATA-Raid, one IDE) for hours on end without any problems. So am feeling pretty confident at this point that my problem was the power supply, and it is now solved. Good luck to all the rest of you!

Graeme Gemmill Nov 30, 2006, 06:03am EST Report Abuse
Georg,
Did the new driver solve this for you long term? I have the same MB, but the update didn't work for me. I contacted the PC manufacturer, who suggested altering the "Onboard devices configuration" (BIOS/Advanced) so that "Onboard Promise Controller" is DISabled. Time will tell, it's been up 24 hours now.
Regards
Graeme

Chris Stone Nov 30, 2006, 02:35pm EST Report Abuse
My system is still running perfectly.... although I still haven't installed a new SATA controller card yet, (I'm broke). I'll hopefully do that before Christmas. It's no big deal right now. If and when I get a SATA card, I'll see if I continue to get those nasty lock ups.

Stoneman

Julia Petrakis Nov 30, 2006, 04:17pm EST Report Abuse
Chris Stone said:
My system is still running perfectly.... although I still haven't installed a new SATA controller card yet, (I'm broke). I'll hopefully do that before Christmas. It's no big deal right now. If and when I get a SATA card, I'll see if I continue to get those nasty lock ups.

Stoneman

And so, what after all is your conclusion, if you have one?

Chris Stone Nov 30, 2006, 06:41pm EST Report Abuse
Actually I won't know until I buy a SATA card (Dec 15th now).

:blush:

I suspect it's my on-board SATA controller. I'll let everyone know...sorry for the delays... but, as you know, unexpected bills come up!

Stoneman

Gary James Dec 01, 2006, 02:29pm EST Report Abuse
Wow this must be the longest running post ever.

I got to say this is the most annoying problem ever.

I have over the last two days read every one of your posts and know how frustrating this is.

I am getting the error as well, or at least i was.

I am running xp sp2, asus mobo P4P800-X, 2 x seagate 200gb (sata) drives and two maxtor 9's 120gb.

In my case i have disable all virtual drives ie. daemon tools, A120% & power iso also i have changed memory usage to system cache instead of programs and ive gone from a dozen to 0 problems (fingers crossed)

Has anyone whos had the problem not using a virtual drive?

Gary

Julia Petrakis Dec 01, 2006, 03:33pm EST Report Abuse
Gary James said:

Has anyone whos had the problem not using a virtual drive?

Gary

If I understand your question, me, using a single all-too-real IDE low-end hard drive with USB memory stick attached to a USB hub, in a 4-year-old really cheap e-machines computer purchased at Circuit City.

Gary James Dec 02, 2006, 04:32pm EST Report Abuse
I was really pointing to the raid/sata controller.

I was thinking if i had two ide drives, two sata drives and two optical drives and then adding two more virtual drives via A120 or& daemon tools could i have been overloading the controller???

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.