Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1022 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 23 - 04:00am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
bunker bob Jan 27, 2007, 12:16pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Edro said:

Of course, no one seems to know if the \Device\Harddisk0\D is referring to the D: device or if it just means a Disk.

I believe it actually has been shown quite conclusively that the "D" in the error message does not have anything to do with logical drive "D:". eg. there are many cases where a system that doesn't have any drive (hard disk or optical) designated as D: still produces the \Device\Harddisk0\D error.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Edro Jan 27, 2007, 01:31pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Well, maybe. You know how bad programmers can hard code things. Perhaps it is code looking for an optical device at position d: even when there is no devide there. I'm just saying that it might not be as conclusive as one might think.

Wasn't there a post where someone installed a raid and the error was \device\hardisk0\dr0 or something like that?

On the other hand, I'm really not convinced that it isn't just a nomenclature for "D for Disk", that is just as absurd (to me) as hard coding "D:". What I mean is that either way it is poor programming.

I don't think that any of us can argue with anyone's success in beating this error. It plagued me for a long time before I reassigned my SATA D: to I: ..that had fixed it for me..the once chronic problem has completely disappeared.

Whatever works! I avoided purchasing a PCI SATA controller by an easy solution (so long as you don't have Program Files on your D: or other drive referenced data.)

I wouldn't mind having a PCI SATA card and I know that there are some inexpensive ones that work quite well. I have an older Athlon 1000+ that I built myself YEARS ago. I added a PCI SATA card, some large hard drives, and it is now a network disk farm. With over a terabyte of space the PC really helps around here. (I record a lot of video.)

Well, I guess I just felt like typing.. Sorry to get off subject..

I would suggest for anyone having this problem, if they DO have something other than an optical drive in their D: position, to move it by re-assiging the drive letter to something else. That's all I really have to offer because it worked for me (and didn't cost me anything.)

If that doesn't work then there are lots of other things to look at, the PSU, the onboard SATA controller, other, your choice..

Edro

Julia Petrakis Jan 27, 2007, 06:13pm EST Report Abuse
Edro said:

Of course, no one seems to know if the \Device\Harddisk0\D is referring to the D: device or if it just means a Disk.

It was interesting that I was able find that hard disks are numbered on a zero basis, starting with 0 for the primary hard disk. However, I have not been able to find anywhere what the \D switch means. Also, it is not always D. For instance, I found Harddisk3\DR3 as well as DR10 somewhere.

There is a site http://www.EventID.net, which may be of interest.

Edro Jan 27, 2007, 11:21pm EST Report Abuse

Julia Petrakis Jan 28, 2007, 12:47pm EST Report Abuse
Julia Petrakis said:
Edro said:

It was interesting that I was able find that hard disks are numbered on a zero basis, starting with 0 for the primary hard disk. However, I have not been able to find anywhere what the \D switch means. Also, it is not always D. For instance, I found Harddisk3\DR3 as well as DR10 somewhere.

I should add two points:

1. Harddisk is not always accurately identified. My harddisk1 in my series of messages turned out to be my printer. As I have noted, XP identifies my new printer (Lexmark also) as F:, "a removable disk."

2. I did find other switches in the same position for other events. These switches were defined and some had to do with the formatting and/or content of the log, others had to do with the partition name/number of the hard drive. A 2-message correspondence with Microsoft support team netted no answer to the simple (I thought) question, "What does the \D mean?" Rather, I have been referred further up the technical ladder. I'll let you know what if anything I learn.

Daniel Silva Jan 31, 2007, 08:53pm EST Report Abuse

Daniel Silva Jan 31, 2007, 08:53pm EST Report Abuse

John Rak Feb 11, 2007, 12:01am EST Report Abuse
Wow, this is quite a thread. I encountered this error the other evening after hearing occasional clicks from one of my hard drives, apparently one attached to a raid controller. I had trouble accessing that drive and it eventually disappeared. The computer froze soon after that and when I tried a warm reboot, I encountered the following message: Fastrak does not support proper interrupts. Please check PCI IRQ set-up. I did a cold reboot and Windows loaded normally. All drives were present and accessible. I checked my hard drives and no problems were reported. (Please note the disk drive attached to the Raid controller had a few bad sectors a year or so ago.)

My computer has operated normally today. No hard drive clicks and no errors in my system log.

I had some significant problems with my C drive several weeks ago (bad sectors) and replaced it doing a fresh install of Windows XP Home. My current pc configuration is provided below. At this point, I'm in a wait and see mode. If the problem occurs again -- and I expect that it will -- I'm predisposed to replacing the hard drive first and then, if that does not work, replacing the power supply. If anyone has any suggestion for other approaches to take, I would be happy to hear them.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P4C800-E Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1016.001 02/23/2004

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Promise 1+0 Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device (250.99 GB) -- drive 3
ST3200822A [Hard drive] (200.05 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 5LJ0K7EM, rev 3.01, SMART Status: Healthy
ST3300831AS [Hard drive] (300.07 GB) -- drive 2, s/n 4NF02RQE, rev 3.03, SMART Status: Healthy
ST3400633A [Hard drive] (400.09 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 3PM0EV0G, rev 3.AAD, SMART Status: Healthy

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 512 MB (serial number SerNum0)
Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM2' has 512 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty

Steven DeLaCastro Feb 11, 2007, 01:23am EST Report Abuse
Have you check your hard drive temperature???

John Rak Feb 11, 2007, 09:05am EST Report Abuse
The built-in temperature monitoring device does not provide S.M.A.R.T information (temperature) for hard drives attached to the system via a raid controller. The temperature for the other 3 hard drives in my system ranges from 41 to 45 degrees.

Steven DeLaCastro Feb 11, 2007, 10:16am EST Report Abuse
John,

That range of temperatures seems more than reasonable. While I fixed my 51 some time ago (two pages ago) and had some previous temperature issues, I have recently been having a somewhat mysterious 49.

If my Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (diskadmin) is triggered while an administrative share exists on my remote secondary USB hard drive, I get this.

Consider this a clue and try running a bat like this in your startup sequence at various places:

@echo off
NET SHARE x$ /DELETE
(x is the drive letter)

Or even before that, after startup simply manually delete the extraneous automatic administrative shares (not on your boot drive), and see if you notice fewer 51's. This is by right clicking My Computer, Manage, Shared Folders, Shares, etc.

If you can pinpoint any changes affecting your 51 then there are registry hacks to prevent automatic administrative shares from being recreated - don't have them handy at the moment but you can Google for them.

Steve

Costache Citronoveanu Feb 19, 2007, 07:50am EST Report Abuse
Long time lurker, first time poster...

I have a custom made configuration:
A64 3000+ / 1GB DDR / MSI Neo4-F (nForce4 - socket 939)
1 DVD-RW ASUS 1608 P3S + 1 DVD-RW BENQ 1650
crappy power source (400W, no-name)

and the interesting part:
1 HDD IDE Seagate 80GB
1 HDD SATA-1, Samsung 250GB

I never boot with both HDDs active: I have either the IDE controller active, or the SATA controller active (activate / deactivate them in BIOS). The OS is installed on both HDDs.

When I boot the IDE drive, everything works OK. Always!

When I boot the SATA drive, Event 51 shows up. Evt 51 wasn't there from the beginning, there was something that triggered it, but I didn't know what that *something* was.

I tried almost everything I read in this thread: MS original drivers, registry hacks, lower memory voltage in BIOS, lower memory speed in BIOS (333MHz instead of 400MHz), remove all IDE devices (the DVD-RWs) and keep only the SATA disk plugged. Nothing worked, not even temporary.

Now (I think) I solved the problem: I replaced the SATA cable, and no more Events 51, not even with nVidia SATA drivers (I use the ones from the motherboard CD).

About the cables: the one I use now is the 3rd, and I have it from a friend's ASUS motherboard. A while ago I had the same problems, and I replaced a cable (that came with my MSI motherboard) with another one (from the same motherboard). The problem was - then - solved (temporarily), but unfortunately I didn't made the connection.

Hope that helps you. Always check if a device is properly plugged in.

Mariusz Olszewski Feb 19, 2007, 08:18am EST Report Abuse
Costache, looks like you solved a problem exactly like I did.
In my case though, I replaced SATA cable for Abit one, not Asus.
My mobo is Abit as well.
No errors ever since.

Lukasz Jakubowski Feb 23, 2007, 05:48am EST Report Abuse
OK, here's my story

Mainboard Gigabyte GA-9I845P-G, MP3 player/pendrive Samsung YP-U1Z (player attaches to PC with a built-in plug).

The problem is that after copying some data FROM pendrive TO PC (20-400MB) I get a series of ErrorID 51 then followed by a single ErrorID 9 (and some nonsensical Windows message) for player's drive. Then I have to unplug/plug again the player to be able to access it again. It seems that after every unplug/plug the system is able to read less and less before player hangs, until reboot. Otherwise everything is OK.
I've tried reading both via card reader with USB socket and with mobo built-in sockets.
The result seems a bit different depending on whether I copy to my WD Raptor 74GB drive or to Samsung 300MB (both SATA)- Raptor seems to be able to get more data.
I've tried many solutions from this thread- no success.
Player works OK with numerous other PCs. Another player of the same model has identical problems.
I've checked with an USB monitor and simply after some time player stops responding to controller's messages. But then just before ErrorID9 there are a few (2-3) short messages, with no file data it seems, sent from pendrive?!?

L.

Demanet Mar 11, 2007, 01:59pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi, my system is based on A7N8X-E deluxe too and I had the same problems as you. I tried many things to solve the event 51 messages, hard drive corruption, etc, with no luck:
-Bios update ( Uber Bios with the latest SATA/RAID controller from Silicon Image)
-Drivers updates
-New SATA hard drivers (Western Digital for Seagate)
-RAM replacement

Finally I solved all the problems changing the power supply with one of 500W

Maybe this can help you

Costache Citronoveanu Apr 06, 2007, 05:39am EDT Report Abuse
I wrote something about OUR :) problem a while ago (check my post on Feb 19) and I feel compelled to add the following:

- the PSU is very important
- the cooling is very important

Everybody knows that, but not everybody takes action :/

About the PSU: I replaced my stock PSU with a HiperPower unit - not very expensive, but good looking :P
http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4m530.html
That solved a problem I had: each time I tried to use a DVD unit, the system shutdown (like being pulled off the plug).

My MB is MSI NEO4-F - here: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_d...hp?UID=727

The northbridge is cooled by a small fan and radiator. Because of dust (and poor quality) the fan stopped working. It was interesant to notice that poor cooling of nForce4 chipset affected the computer only when working with SATA drives (frequent lockups) but not when working with IDE drives.

Because of northbridge cooler placement (near the PCIe video card), I had to look quite a lot for a replacement. I found it here: http://www.vantec.com.tw/_en/01_product/03_detail_01overview.p...amp;id=104 - very good stuff ;)

Now my system looks quite stable. It didn't help my Event51 problem - it was solved already :) - but it helped with the remaining problems.

skitrees skitrees Apr 24, 2007, 05:30pm EDT Report Abuse
A quick interjection with my personal experience...

I've had this error show up exactly 26 times on non-RAID systems, so I am speaking only to that end: In each and every of the 26 drives reporting the error to Windows - switching out the drive permanently fixed the problem (meaning that the error was accurate and warned of the impending doom before the users lost data - GREAT JOB MICROSOFT!!!). I've used many of these failing drives after removal from their original system, and most fail within a few weeks to months - one lasted a few years and then failed.

Sounds like RAID and controller drivers, etc., etc., can also bung things up, and it sounds like this throws the errors out there erroneously - but my experience in simple systems (non-RAID) has been 100% permanent "fixes" by replacing the hard drive(s) in question.

I just wanted to throw this out there for those folks using "simple" systems.

I laugh at some (not all - some are legit) of the posts where the people have a brand new drive and act like it just COULDN'T be bad right out of the box! I get five or ten bad drives a month due simply to the way shippers handle stuff - and sitting in the harbor in sealed frieght containers at 130+ degrees probably doesn't help either).

I'd really suggest that if a person is building a quality system and isn't a seasoned pro - the person might want to call around to some of the independant DATA RECOVERY folks out there and find one that is willing to tell you which brands to avoid - most of Recovery folks are tight-lipped fearing lawsuits, but every once in a while you will get one to talk to you, and the sheer stats of failure rates of some very popular brands would astonish many people. I've based all my Brand loyalty around the disaster recovery folks, and I have lost zero drives in the same timeframe that my competitor in town has lost over 80 of different very popular make. He refuses to switch over because the brand he uses is cheap, big, and popular, but his company is paying the price by losing customers.

Also - I'll echo what has been said 100 times above - first stop is the Hard Drive Manufacture's home page - download and install the diag for your specific drive, and use it as your first line of trouble-shooting.

Remember - if you have data and want to save it - the recovery folks almost unanimously tell you to avoid chkdsk and other scans (at least once the drive is beginning to fail), so back up that data even before running the diags.

You can always have too few backups, you can't really have too many. (No one ever said, "Man, I wish I had one less backup of my data!") I've heard the converse many times.

gursimran bharaj May 05, 2007, 04:54pm EDT Report Abuse
yo yo dudes.......

i have this same problem with my laptop which has the following specs....

acer aspire 5100 series.......
2.00GHz turion 64
512 DDR2 RAM
60 Gb samsung PATA harddisk

i get all the errors like error 11 and An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation....
now its a laptop guys what could b the problem? with the motherboard..... it was working fine earlier but it recently started to give these errors in the event loggg......i been since then banging my head into the walls....checked every forum........its a laptop,so less options.... can anybody help please....................:(

frank owen May 09, 2007, 01:49pm EDT Report Abuse
Started receiving the Event ID 51 error yesterday, which coincidentally started right after doing a defrag. What I didn't think about was that in addition to logical cleanup, I had done some physical cleanup of the physical computer which apparently knocked the SATA cable loose. Just as I was about to head out for a new PCI based SATA controller, I popped the lid to figure out where I'd put it and noticed that the SATA cable was barely connected.

Reseating the cable appears to have solved the problem. It's only been a few hours, but for the last two days I've been getting that error 10 times per minute. No errors since my "fix".

Mariusz Olszewski May 09, 2007, 03:24pm EDT Report Abuse
frank, it seems like you're one of not many lucky guys like me, who got rid of the problem this way. although in my case i had to replace "cheap" SATA cable for a good one.
and it's been almost a year now since i had no errors at all.
hope you'll be successful too.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.