Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1732 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 08:00pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
James Lawton May 29, 2007, 11:41am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
i went the to M$ site and their solution was bullshit, "replace the drive, or leave it, it'll go away"
so i tried something that made sense in my mind, i moved the pagefile to another partition, then deleted the original, then moved it back, it didn't seem to make a difference, so i tried leaving it on the other partition, and presto, the problem seemed to go away, ill report back if it returns, but for now, i think im rid of that thing crashing my system :D

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Chris Stone May 29, 2007, 11:55am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
The source of my problem was the hard drive. I had bought a new SATA controller but that didn't do a thing. Then I had the drive replaced under warranty and the replacement worked fine for 1 month until it started having "bad blocks" and finally removed it's self from device manager and started the ominous clicking sound.

Western digital sucks.
:angry:

James Lawton May 29, 2007, 11:58am EDT Report Abuse
yeah i had a WD in my xbox, the thing crapped out after only like a year as well, *shakes head*

and about the error, looks like i solved my own problem :S

Kalle Anka May 30, 2007, 03:21pm EDT Report Abuse
Have to put my problem here as well.

* ASRock K7VT4A Pro.
- Northbridge: VIA KT400A
- Southbridge: VIA 8237

* 1x Seagate 400gb SATA.
* 1x Seagate 160gb IDE.

I have two drives in the computer, one Seagate IDE 160gb.. and one SATA 400gb. And a few weeks ago my old 40gb drive went down (7 years old, I guess that's bound to happen). I had some things getting weird there. When I was doing backup from my 40gb -> SATA, the defect disk made windows slow down, and after a couple of retries I got a bluescreen, and Windows got messed up. Corrupt/missing file in C:\Windows\System32\Config or something. So, a reinstall of Windows was next.

And here you have all what happened, up until the error 51:

*) I remove my 40gb drive.

*) Starting the windows installer. Now I see my C: showing up as D:, which I thought was odd. Windows was on the SATA disk, not that 40gb, so I thought it was weird that it changed drive letter.

*) I remove my 160gb (which now had changed to C:), to try and get my SATA-partition to be on C: again. When I start the installation, I get a blue screen, which nagged on my viamraid.sys driver.

*) I insert the 160gb again, and my SATA-partition is D:. Oh well, I install it there, better than nothing.

*) When everything is done, and I boot windows, I get a "invalid boot.ini, booting from c:\windows".. and there's no Windows on C:. But it still boots the one on D:?

On that particular problem, I have done everything I can think of. Been in Recovery Console and done bootcfg /rebuild, fixboot, fixmbr, copied ntldr + ntdetect.com in D: where Windows is. So, that problem is still there. But I ignored it, and everything has worked fine for 1-2 weeks, from what I have seen.

Yesterday I started noticing some things.. videos or whatever could freeze up for a second, and you could hear a clicking sound from the hard drive while things froze.

And then I checked my system log, which said;

"Warning: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation."
"Error: The device, \Device\Scsi\viamraid1, did not respond within the timeout period."
And I got like 12-15 warnings and errors of that in a row.

And a couple of hours later I got two blue screens with the errors;
"kernel_stack_inpage_error"
Error code 00000077, parameter1 00000001, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 b0867cbc.

Then it stopped, and an hour ago, I got 5 more. And it happened when I have watched a movie. I guess the swap file is used a lot when doing that.

Also, when I use SeaTools to check it, the program says all Seagate disks gives disks a gold icon.. which my sata-disk doesn't have. And it's listed under SCSI/FC/SAS and not PATA/SATA. Hmm. Not sure if that is something worth mentioning.. but.

If someone could shed some light on this, I would be very very grateful! I'd like to stay away from replacing things, before I had the slightest clue on what the problem is. I.e. if drive is defect, or something made the HD go nuts etc. Bad psu? when I did backup from my 40gb to my SATA disk? I'm lost.

James Lawton May 30, 2007, 04:44pm EDT Report Abuse
>> reply to the question about the SATA drives...
i do believe that your problem may lie in the fact that using IDE and SCSI drives at the same time will cause problems only if you put your OS on the SCSI drive expecting it to be "C:\"
This is caused by the fact that motherboards will put IDE at higher priority than SCSI drives, i guess its just cause of the way they came first or something.... anyways, yeah i believe thats what is going on, if not, then maybe you have a different situation on your hands. :)

Kalle Anka May 30, 2007, 06:30pm EDT Report Abuse
Sounds somewhat logical, but I'm not convinced. Do you really think you get a hardware conflict when wanting to use a SATA drive as boot partition, instead of IDE? Right when I got this sata disk, it worked right away.. no problems, from what I can remember.
But yeah, I guess it's possible, I should try it out. Thanks a bunch, I hope this is the problem.

Julia Petrakis May 30, 2007, 07:33pm EDT Report Abuse
So, I'm just curious: Have you guys read this entire thread from its beginning?:cool:

Mariusz Olszewski May 31, 2007, 07:05am EDT Report Abuse
Kalle, I used to have one SATA plus one PATA drives on my sysytem, and never had problems booting with SATA with an OS on it.
In your case I would suggest a rather radical way to start from the scratch.
Make a backup of whatever is important from SATA, disconnect PATA, wipe off SATA entirelty, re-partition it, format and install the OS on it (SATA). You should have OS on C: primiary active partition.
Before reconnecting PATA make all partitons on it as logical. Then you may plug this PATA drive back in. Thus the OS won't change the drive letters after boot, because you'll have only one primary partitions on SATA, and the OS wil reserve C: to that one primary partition.

Margaret Molthen Jun 03, 2007, 07:33pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi, I've read most of the posts on this issue. I had the same problem with my system. IBM Intellistation Pro, Intel Pentium 4 (3.2GHz), 2MBs ram, XP Pro, with 2 Ultra320 SCSI drives. Tried everything to get Event 9 and Event 51 to go away. Since my system was under a ESP with IBM, they replaced the SCSI controller, SCSI cable, Motherboard, one of the SCSI drives, the power supply, etc. Also flashed the BIOS, updated drivers, etc. I'm sure my solution will not work for many of you, but this is what finally solved the problem. I removed NSW Premiere 2006 and all of its components from my system. (Using other software for the services NSW provided.) IMMEDIATELY the error messages went away, never to return again. Many flawless boots. I have been Clean and Happy for over two weeks now.
TA

jerry Barnett Jun 04, 2007, 08:22pm EDT Report Abuse
I started to notice this same issue a couple of days ago \Device\Harddisk0\D Event ID 51. My computer would all of a sudden freeze.

To resolve my issue:

I was running Virtual CD 6 and someone installed another CD virtual drive software. I uninstalled both of them and then reinstalled Virtual CD 6. That solve my issue..

Julia Petrakis Jun 04, 2007, 09:45pm EDT Report Abuse
Margaret Molthen said:
I removed NSW Premiere 2006 and all of its components from my system. (Using other software for the services NSW provided.) IMMEDIATELY the error messages went away, never to return again. Many flawless boots. I have been Clean and Happy for over two weeks now.
TA

Margaret: NSW being Norton SystemWorks?

Margaret Molthen Jun 05, 2007, 11:32am EDT Report Abuse

Margaret Molthen Jun 05, 2007, 11:59am EDT Report Abuse
Yes, Norton System Works 2006 Premiere. Has Ghost, AntiVirus, One Step Update -- the works. I've used Symantec products for years, so I'm comfortable with the products, but I've heard over and over again what a big hog and an invasive program NSW is. My brother, who is an engineer and a computer guru kept telling me to 86 NSW. When I finally hit the wall with Event 9 and 51 and had tried everything and had no where else to go except to reinstall Windows, I decided to bite the bullet and uninstall NSW first. Really, that's all it took. I've had absolutely no Events for 3 weeks now. Just booted up this morning and am still Event free. I realize that, most likely, very few of the people who have posted on this site have NSW on their computers, but maybe one of the Event triggers is some other big program that loads at boot up while the system is trying to execute other tasks. Maybe they even violate Windows protocol in how they load. (I'm not smart enough to know things like that, but my brother said it could be a possibility with NSW.) Anyway, this certainly worked for me. I'm am now using Nod32 for my antivirus program, and a couple of registry cleaners to handle clearing registry clutter. I can still run Norton Utilities from the disk if I want. Just a final note: It was a nightmare getting Symantec totally off my system. It wasn't just a case of running Add and Remove Programs -- there were still footprints all over the place. I had to do manual searches and deletes until I was finally Symantec-free.
TA

Margaret Molthen Jun 05, 2007, 02:14pm EDT Report Abuse

Jade Hall Jun 06, 2007, 08:09am EDT Report Abuse
I too have come to join the event 51 club.

Gigabyte 8S655FX M/B - 2.6gig CPU
Western Digital 250G Sata HDD (Connected to onboard Controller)
1 GIG Ram
Nvidia 6600GT Video Card

I bought my WD HDD about 6 months ago, 2 days ago my computer starts freezing, slowing down and reseting. After every tantrum, my event viewer shows multiple EVENT 51 + 9 errors. I have since reset the bios, reloaded th O/S(XP) - So this really can't be a software fault. What I can't work out is what is the root of the prob.

Please help...

Julia Petrakis Jun 06, 2007, 10:44am EDT Report Abuse
Jade Hall said:
What I can't work out is what is the root of the problem.

Dear Jade: I'm afraid I smiled when I read that. In the 24 pages of this thread, if you go back and read from the beginning, you will see that no one has been able to work out what is the root of the problem and there have been some pretty high tech people here working on it.

Margaret Molthen Jun 08, 2007, 12:42pm EDT Report Abuse

AJ Man Jun 12, 2007, 10:21am EDT Report Abuse
Add me to the list. I just reinstalled my OS on my Asus P5WDH using AHCI rather than Standard IDE. Upon boot into Windows, this error would always follow the drive that I had in my system that is NOT a SATA II drive. No matter what I did or what port I plugged the drive into, I always had the error. Tonight when I reinstall the OS, I will revert to Standard IDE; I'm sure this will get rid of the problem.

Pity, because AHCI was plenty fast when it worked.:(

Andrew S Jun 13, 2007, 04:13pm EDT Report Abuse

Kevin Chung Jul 04, 2007, 09:25pm EDT Report Abuse
>> double post

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.