Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 924 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 06:47pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Kevin Chung Jul 04, 2007, 09:25pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
hello i have the same problem
i would be running program and my computer would lock up and blue screen with words like hard drive failure and kernel i cannot read all of it because before i can my computer has been rebooted
after it reboots for the first time when i try to login to window it will take forever and finally a little box would appear saying window cannot access my personal login information and will login me in to a temporary one .. but that fails so i reboot and put in my window xp disk and i start repair recovery i do a chkdsk and it says i have 1 or 2 irretrievable volume
after that i reboot and start back in to my window this time it works but it loads up slower then usual and i check my event log it dates back to this event id 51 and event id 11

my computer specs are
Asus T3-P5G965 barebone
intel e6600 @ 2.4ghz
2 gigs of ram
Nvidia 7900 GT
and i think my harddrive is a western digital 320mb

thank you for your help

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
avi muchnik Jul 05, 2007, 03:13am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
have the same problem.
i have :
amd 3000 64 bit
motherboard:gigabyte ga-k8ns rev 1.0
1.5gb ram
geforce 5200fx
psu:generic
hd:seagate 250 gb sata
dvd rom and dvdrw to the same ide
i have this hard disk one week.
bofore i have the same hd maybe a month. i thought the the problem is the hd so i replaced with a new one.
yesterday my pc start to slow down .and the post was very slow.
i discoverd that if unplug the hd and then plug it back the sloweness disapear. but not for a long time.
i'm despard. don't know what to do. btw i have this pc 3 years and with my firts hd i haden't any problems, he was replaced for other reasons.

Kevin Chung Jul 05, 2007, 07:25pm EDT Report Abuse
okay.. for some reason i did something to my computer that stopped having the disk error from appearing on my event viewer... but now i have another problem... the computer is still slow and whenever i push the quick buttons like .. web/home ... search ..mail.. volume up and down on my keyboard by keyboard and mouse would lock up and i would not be able to select anything and my mouse cannot clickon anything
i can keep pushing control alt delete and it will run a lil bit every half a second
this is really confusing .. i cannot figure out what is wrong with it

Shion Tanaka Jul 25, 2007, 03:16am EDT Report Abuse
Same problem (solved) here with a WD 160GB SATA 2 and:

Athlon 64 3500
OS WIN 2000
1 Gig of RAM
ATA 100 WD 80GB

After trying everything sensible including changing mainboard, I can survive with the HD setup on SATA 150 operation via jumper. Speed is not as SATA 300 but it works with absolutely no problems. Basically, while operating on SATA 2, the cause of the PC freezing is the disconnection of the HD, as it becomes suddenly unplugged when I tried to use it just as storage disk (instead of holding the OS). Doesn't matter if operating on IDE mode or AHCI or SATA from BIOS, or running with the ATA deactivated.
This is crazy and lead me to suspect either a bug in the NCQ SATA 2 protocol or what else ? Windows itself ? Tried various DIAGS with no probs in dos but they fail in windows !
I can't believe there is a big flaw somewhere in the protocols !

Jade Hall Jul 25, 2007, 05:28am EDT Report Abuse
Well, after many weeks of the error (previously posted), my CPU died, I have since upgraded my M/B, CPU and MEM. My HDD works fine and no more stupid error messages. My cpu was a Intel Pentum 2.6G.

Hope this may help - would be a bit weird for all ya CPU's to be the problem though...

Cheers.

Chris Blackmun Jul 26, 2007, 06:36pm EDT Report Abuse
I have been having the same error several times a day for weeks now, and occasionally my computer freezes before it shuts down and switches itself off. I've just noticed that both my ST360021A HDD and my LITE-ON LTR-48125W CDROM drives are both Location 0 - could this the reason for the error? A conflict?

WinXP SP2
P4 2.8GHz
1GB RDRAM PC800
Intel Maryville 2 D850EMV2 mobo
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Creative SB0090 Audigy

Chris

Andrew S Jul 26, 2007, 07:28pm EDT Report Abuse
Well. After many agonizing weeks, I got my notebook back and it was fixed! They thought it was my HDD but it wasnt and I had to send back a second time. Well it was the motherboard. They replaced my MB and it is fine now.

I would start zeroing in on motherboards for that error type.

Good luck!

Knom Krad Aug 25, 2007, 07:19am EDT Report Abuse
Well here is my 2 cents:

I had the ID 51.
My system would start giving 51 errors as soon as the system started.
Thinking about the problem I thought "all goes through memory". Since I have a dual boot with Ubuntu I have the memtest86+ as a boot option so I run it, guess what? Memory errors.
I have 3 banks 512, 256 and 256 so I took out the 2 256 and tested again. Errors in memory
Take out the 512 put in 1 256, test no error
Take it out again place the other 256, no errors
So my 512 memory bank was broken. Removed it. Placed the 2 * 256 and my system runs smoothly since than.
Hope someone gets some good out of this, it did cost 2 cents ;)

Joe Admire Aug 28, 2007, 08:17am EDT Report Abuse
I'm experiencing this error as well on my new custom-built system (Athlon 64 dual-core 3800+ on an Asus M2V-MX mainboard, 2 GB RAM, 2x Western Digital 250GB SATA hard drives, Win XP Pro SP2). I am fairly certain that the culprit is a Seagate Free Agent 250GB external USB hard drive that I bought and installed on my system two days ago (device \Harddisk2\D). Up until then, this error had not appeared on either hard drive in the new system. The first instance of this error in the Event Log occurs at 13:03 (1:03 PM) on Sunday August 26th, within an hour after I installed the USB drive. Since then, error 51 has been occuring about once an hour when the system is booted up.

I ran an error check on the drive yesterday, which took a couple of hours since I had moved a considerable amount of data there yesterday morning, but the error message keeps coming up every hour on the 48th minute.

On my other system, I used to have a homebuilt 80GB USB 2.0 hard drive (also reported as device \Harddisk2\D). Last August, the drive started reporting multiple errors 51 at the same times every hour during paging; after two days of this, the drive died. Actually, I think it was the drive housing's controller that died, because a few months ago I bought another USB drive housing and tried pulling the actual HD (a Western Digital 80GB IDE partitioned into three logical drives) from the old housing and putting it into the new housing. The drive works again, though one of the partitions has gone bad, probably due to a bad sector or sectors. Last December, I got a Seagate 160GB USB drive (one of the older model, pre-Free Agent) which is now attached to my old system. It's operated virtually trouble-free, with only three error 51 messages attributable to it since it's been installed, and those were probably one-time hiccups somewhere in the system since no error has occurred on that drive since April.

Again, I am just about positive that this is a problem with the new Seagate Free Agent drive, as that particular error message never appeared on the new system before the unit was plugged into the USB port.

I am seriously considering moving the data I have on the Seagate back onto the hard drives today and taking that Free Agent back to Best Buy to get an exchange on it; since it's probably defective - as I said, no error 51 messages appeared before it was added to the system - I shouldn't have a problem getting an exchange. Ironically, that Free Agent drive was itself an exchange for a Maxtor 200GB USB drive that I had bought last week but took back because I had seen so many posts on the Web about how Maxtor USB drives were unreliable. Go figure!!!

Mark Walden Sep 25, 2007, 12:30pm EDT Report Abuse
This thread seems to be inactive for a month or so but having scanned it I did not note that anybody complained about the Event ID 51 error with a USB connected external drive. I use a 500GB seagate freeagent pro. I get the error repeatedly sometimes with a BSOD. My page file is not on this drive but some seeding torrents are. I changed the hibernate to every hour and I got errors in intervals of one or two hours roughly but not precisely. I have now turned off hibernate entirely and we will see how well that works. Also does anybody know off hand how to keep the computer from auto setting after BSOD? I would like to read the exception codes and register settings but it resets after 2 seconds.

Mark

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
Abit AN8
1GB DDR Cosair Expert
Drives:
Seagate Freeagent Pro 500 GB USB2
56GUCO 150 GB DMI IEEE 1394 SBP2
2 X Maxtor 6L080J4 80 GB in SATA/ Raid
Maxtor 6Y160P0 160 GB ATA
Maxtor 6L080J4 80 GB SATA
Maxtor 6L080J4 80 GB SATA

Julia Petrakis Sep 25, 2007, 12:43pm EDT Report Abuse
Mark:

Although I do not remember a USB hard drive specifically, there have been a number of instances where the USB port seemed related to the problem. In my case, a USB-connected Lexmark printer, which my computer persisted (and persists) in identifying as a storage device/removable disk, and/or a USB memory stick.

greg stear Sep 25, 2007, 02:49pm EDT Report Abuse
mark, I first had an event 51 after installing an external usb drive. As it turned out, the usb card i was using also shared an IRQ with my sata RAID controller. Accessing the USB drive used to intermittently cause an event 51. When I moved the position of the card, the system assigned a different IRQ which did not conflict with my RAID ..and no further problems since.

Jon Iliz Sep 26, 2007, 12:15am EDT Report Abuse
It is about time I reposted here.

I have my problem solved now.

Originally, I had the problem after 2 months of clean operation. My USB card was designed to accept 5 USB connections. After many months of this form and trying everything everyone else tried, here is what I did.

There was a post earlier saying the problem is a result of a drop in voltage to the USB device as fed by the card. So I replaced my card with the most simple one I could find that only offered two instead of 5 USB slots.

Works like a champ now.

You guys out there in bit/byte land ask yourselves if you added anything to your system close to the time your problem started occurring that might suck additional voltage from your computer source system. If so, go back to the config of where you were before and retest. If you never had stable operation at all try what I did and use a card that might use less voltage by having a less complicated circuit, thus concentrating more voltage to a lesser number of slots.

Good luck
:P

Julia Petrakis Oct 10, 2007, 09:18pm EDT Report Abuse
Just like to add that my first posts to this forum go back some time, and after changing the USB setup, the computer itself continues to run without problem, contradicting the theory that the Event ID 51 is an indicator of impending disk and/or computer failure.

Ste Asd Oct 29, 2007, 06:20am EDT Report Abuse
I fix this problem on my mobo m2n4sli asus with hd sata 250gb seagate barracuda changing the driver of the chipset with the most recently on the nvidia site(NO ASUS;uninstall all the old package of the nvidia chipset driver as audio and ethernet first install the new).Anyway with the driver of the controller sata of wix XP pro sp2 the error doesnt respawn.

good luck

(sry for my baaad english)

David Blake Nov 11, 2007, 06:29pm EST Report Abuse
Hi guys,

An update on my situation...I've managed to fix the problem, although it involved buying a new hard drive. I have tried up until now: new RAM, a new beefy PSU even new SATA cables but I was still getting Error 51's in my event log and frequent periodic lock ups. A few days ago my machine refused to boot into windows, locking up before the splash screen (although booting into safe mode was fine?!)...

I was concerned that getting another SATA drive may not fix the problem if the problem was with my on board SATA controller, so I stuck an IDE HDD in this morning, reinstalled everything and as yet not a single Error 51. Of course, it could just have meant my HDD was on it's way out...but I'm just glad to be free of this error as it's been doing my nut!

Hope you all have some success soon!
Dave

Maynard Clouter Nov 20, 2007, 10:04am EST Report Abuse
As mentioned by others this problem started on my system when I installed a Seagate FreeAgent Desktop 250GB external drive. My motherboard is an ASUS P5LD2, the OS is Win2K and all software drivers were up to date. In my case the Error 51 events were clearly due to the Seagate drive going into a sleep mode after some undetermined period of inactivity in spite of the "Never Sleep" setting in the OS power management setup. I could verify this by accessing the drive via the mouse or keyboard, hearing it spin up, and then checking the system log to verify the appearance of the error message. The Seagate people informed me that there was nothing in the drive firmware that would account for this. I checked the drive integrity in a number of ways and concluded that apart from this annoyance it was working properly. After much messing around the solution resulted from a simple rearrangement of USB connections. The following USB devices are permanently attached : a MS Intellimouse Optical, two printers (HP Laserjet 1000, Canon PIXMA iP3000), a Canon LiDE 600F scanner, and the Seagate drive. When I switched the mouse from USB3, i.e. one of the 4 onboard connectors, to USB5 on the game port module the problem disappeared. The Seagate drive no longer goes into sleep mode and everything else seems to be ok. I have no explanation for this - perhaps someone else does ?

Dice Li Nov 21, 2007, 05:35pm EST Report Abuse
If you see this error with your FreeAgent external drive, it's most likely caused by the drive going to sleep mode. Disable sleep with the FreeAgent tools. That should make the error disappear. It worked for me.

Maynard Clouter Nov 22, 2007, 10:13pm EST Report Abuse
Unfortunately as far as I can determine there is no associated software for the Desktop version of this drive which runs on Win2k, although Win2k is listed in the drive specs as a compatible OS. A download package has only recently become available but WinXP or later is required.

Daniel Scott Nov 25, 2007, 07:04pm EST Report Abuse
Hey Guys,

Been struggling as well with Event 9 and 51 for a few weeks. System was running fine then started locking up and gaming (ie DOD:S) became randomly slugggish.

Only then I noticed stacks of errors on the system. Tried 'disc imaging' onto a new drive and had the same problems. Errors would appear and occasionally lock up the system, with keyboard unresponsive.

Having just read 'Jon Iliz's' post, I've realised that I added a DVD burner to the sytem few weeks back. My PSU only has 4 power plugs for hdds, etc and upon checking, realised I'd used 6 power plugs with cable splitters ... 2x for 512MB AGP, 2x hdds and 2x dvd drives. So unplugging my dvd drives I've run the PC for 48 hours now and no sign of error 9 or 51!

A new pwoer supply with enough grunt to power my hungry components seems to have fixed this issue.

- Daniel

PS. Thanks Jon Iliz for getting me check the basics !!!

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.