Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1189 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 06:25pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
visting only Nov 30, 2007, 10:09am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Many thanks to Dice Li for the pointer for fixing Event 51 for FreeAgent external drives. That fixed the Event 51 (and numerous other failures my backup software was encountering) for that drive.

I was also seeing Event 51 errors on another SATA disk connected via a USB port. Given the success of disabling sleep on the FreeAgent drive I found that you can do the same for USB ports (Windows XP Prof) via: Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus controllers/USB Root Hub/right click Properties/Power Management/ property: "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". By default that was enabled. I disabled it for the USB Root Hub that shows my external disk(s).

No Event 51 errors since then!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Chris B Dec 26, 2007, 04:43pm EST Report Abuse
>> This May Help:)

Sean Caldwell Jan 14, 2008, 09:21am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I don't know if this will help anyone; I built 3 quad core systems for video playback. Then built an esata backup drive that connects directly to the motherboard.

When backing up large files, the system sometimes dies and then gives a bsod; it's happened on two identical systems that are brand new and freshly installed. The error log has the error: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\D during a paging operation.

This does NOT happen if we connect it via usb. I'm now going into device properties and enabling caching for the sata drive and will see if that makes any difference.

Sean

Shion Tanaka Jan 14, 2008, 11:59am EST Report Abuse
Can't believe it !!!

SATA2 is a plague !! Will stay far away forever and this thread should make it sure for everyone !! Long life PATA

Sean Caldwell Jan 14, 2008, 10:08pm EST Report Abuse
here's what I did to fix the issue I was having:

called Asus tech support (they were easy to understand.) They suggested I download the latest intel chipset driver for the G965 (8.3.1.1009) and also get the newest JMicron drivers (1.17.31.00). After installing those two; it works great with large file transfers. File transfers even seem faster for what it's worth. Nice job asus tech support. Hope that helps someone else although I would guess these errors have many causes.

Sean

Florin Florin Jan 29, 2008, 07:10am EST Report Abuse
This damned Event ID:51 is troubling me again. Change my power supply a couple of months ago and everything went smoothly until now. My computer freezes when I'm playing games or working in some demanding applications. i just can't understand: the computer worked just fine for almost 9 months and now all of a sudden this problem is back. I have a seagate ST31600AS sata1 160gb hard drive. Anyone found a solution for this?

Maik Maikowski Jan 30, 2008, 10:13pm EST Report Abuse
i got this problem too :) almost 4 months or smth like that.

Maybe it would be usefull:

Event 51 occurs for me only when i am using DC++ or torrent. I mean, when transfering data at HIGH speeds. (usually at 1-10 MB/s, rather at 100-200 kB/s). I still dont know why ! I read all your posts in this Topic and have not found the solution...When error occurs, my PC freezes and after few minutes restarts. Then runs chkdsk utillity and so on....

Some of you says, that its problem with SATA (or IDE) controllers ? Anyway, buying new HDD is not the solution, but i think, that this is Hardware problem, NOT software.
I hate this event, cause i have to limit my bandwidth :/
Furthermore its not the only one event. Also very frequently i get event ID 7 (The device, \Device\CdRom1, has a bad block.) all list is RED.... Should i change my CD (DVD) rom ? or the problem is software related ?

P.S. sorry for my grammar and etc.

Edro Jan 31, 2008, 12:43am EST Report Abuse
I do realize that I'm stating the obvious here, but since this isn't just a single problem source, (software, hardware: PSU, HD, controller, cables..) it would be really great if someone who has tracked this topic for any length of time (and thus is most familiar with what all the categories would be) could make a post, sticky it to the beginning, which sort of helps people go through a checklist or script or process of eliminating each of the potential sources of the problem and, perhaps, resolve the problem for many people.

(Whew. That first sentence was a doozy!)

After going through the script and the problem persists then a poll should be taken indicating, what, if any, perceived source(s) exist.

Well, that's what I'd do if someone would pay me enough to do it.

Edro

Chris Stone Jan 31, 2008, 02:44pm EST Report Abuse
I continue to get this error. I have gone through 6 hard drives (SATA2) and 1 EIDE drive. I suspect my motherboard is the fault because that is the only piece of hardware I have not replaced yet. Either that or SATA2 is just plain garbage.

Julia Petrakis Jan 31, 2008, 03:08pm EST Report Abuse
Edro said:
I do realize that I'm stating the obvious here, but since this isn't just a single problem source, (software, hardware: PSU, HD, controller, cables..) it would be really great if someone who has tracked this topic for any length of time (and thus is most familiar with what all the categories would be) could make a post, sticky it to the beginning, which sort of helps people go through a checklist or script or process of eliminating each of the potential sources of the problem and, perhaps, resolve the problem for many people.

An abbreviated list was made many, many pages ago.

By the by, has anyone figured out what the \D in \Device\Harddisk0\D means?

Maik Maikowski Jan 31, 2008, 04:08pm EST Report Abuse
i am just guessing, but maybe its a CD/DVD-rom ? Cause i have also a lot of problems (events) with The device, \Device\CdRom1, has a bad block.

Julia Petrakis Jan 31, 2008, 05:13pm EST Report Abuse
Maik Maikowski said:
i am just guessing, but maybe its a CD/DVD-rom ? Cause i have also a lot of problems (events) with The device, \Device\CdRom1, has a bad block.

I believe not. The Harddisk0 refers to the main hard drive, usually but not always C. The D is not always "singular" but is sometimes something like D3. To date, I have not found anyone who knows what the D stands for or does.

Chris Stone Jan 31, 2008, 08:37pm EST Report Abuse
Hey Julia,

I see you visit the forums as I do. Let me answer the question regarding the D letter. It stands for "DAMMIT!" when you notice your drive is no longer functioning.

:_)

Julia Petrakis Jan 31, 2008, 09:36pm EST Report Abuse
Chris Stone said:
Hey Julia,

I see you visit the forums as I do. Let me answer the question regarding the D letter. It stands for "DAMMIT!" when you notice your drive is no longer functioning.

:_)

:~

Maik Maikowski Jan 31, 2008, 10:45pm EST Report Abuse
yeah.. damn f***ing windows :D

Chris Stone Feb 01, 2008, 09:11am EST Report Abuse
Indeed! LOL

Keith Smith Feb 08, 2008, 12:23pm EST Report Abuse
I have recently come across this error in my event viewer on XP Pro SP2. I checked the event viewer as my system started booting up intermittently slowly. I got this dreaded error after checking the log when this slow boot up occurs. Generally if I re-boot, the system comes up normally with 0 errors. I only get the error during boot up! I can run RAM hungry apps no problem once the system is online.

I am running AMD64 4600 Dual Core
2GB generic memory
MAXTOR STM3500630AS-500GB SATA with logical partition
Gigabyte GA-K8NF--9-RH board

I'm afraid I have no good news as per a solution, but thought I'd throw my problem into the mix.

Bob Biegon Feb 13, 2008, 11:14am EST Report Abuse
I, too, have recently experienced many "disk" error 51 messages in my System event log. I've installed a Promise SATA controller as many have suggested, and it did NOT fix my error. It was the installation of a second internal (IDE) hard drive just for a repository for the pagefile that caused a series of events that led to my discovering the source of the error: an external Seagate 500 GB FreeAgent USB drive.
In my Windows XP (SP2) Disk Management utility, you will see Disk0, Disk1, etc. which is related to the \Device\Harddisk# part of the error message. I did not have a "D" partition, folder or drive letter assigned to this drive, so I don't know where that syntax comes from. However, when I added the internal IDE drive, the error message's Harddisk# incremented up to the next number (2) which, in Disk Management, was the same as the external drive. I simply disconnected the external drive and the errors stopped. Now, on to the resolution..... ! Will post it when I find it.

Broba Fett Feb 26, 2008, 01:03pm EST Report Abuse
I read through much of this thread and while I didn't find my solution directly, it did steer me in the right direction. I figured I would share my findings in case it helped anyone else.

My issue came down to the sptd.sys driver. Here is a description from the vendor:

SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD) layer (32 bit). Basically SPTD is similar to other access layers used by other programs who provide access to storage devices but it has a lot more features that make this interface unique.

I sure found one of the "unique" features. This driver was installed by one of the Acronis products, either Disk Director or True Image Home, which I used to clone my new hard drive before installation (this is why I thought my hard drive was perhaps defective). This driver is also installed by DaemonTools virtual drive software, and has caused me troubles before. I uninstalled the Acronis products but, since sptd.sys may be used by other software, I had to manually disable it through the registry. Here is a link with instructions on how to do this:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/my-system-wont-boot-after-t6828.html

I can't confirm this solved all of my problems, since it has only been an hour since I did this. I have rebooted twice, however, and got no Event ID - 51 messages either time (I was getting the customary 12 or so each reboot for a few weeks).

Hope this helps!

Shannon S Mar 05, 2008, 12:10am EST Report Abuse

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.