Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1757 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 08:00pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Tomas Marny Dec 04, 2008, 02:35pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Maik Maikowski said:
yes, half year ago I read whole thread from start to beginning :angry: And I see, that there is NO solution... :/ Sometimes helps changing cable, sometimes other things, sometimes de-fragmenting HDD (for me)... damn event 51

I don't think event 51 is a problem itself unless it ends with bsod or data corruption or random freezes from which you can then continue (the latter is my case). I have usually 1 system freeze (lasting 15 seconds) in 3 days, no bsod, no data corruption, which is not bad if you compare it what's happening to other people.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Maik Maikowski Dec 04, 2008, 03:14pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Yes, I never got BSOD because of such Event, but this event is more irritating than bsod :/

Jon Iliz Dec 04, 2008, 10:23pm EST Report Abuse

Julia Petrakis Dec 04, 2008, 10:49pm EST Report Abuse
Jon Iliz said:
Again, the volt meter guy proved his case to me. I applied his theory to my situation and I have my solution..

So, Jon, was your problem also related to voltage? And what did you do for your solution?

So, how do we get others here to try and test the voltage theory and perhaps earn their 15 minutes of fame by solving this problem? Guys? Gals?

John Lai Dec 10, 2008, 05:26am EST Report Abuse
Like everyone else I've been searching for a solution to this problem for a long time. I think I've finally found the cause of the problem for my system, and would just like to share it for the benefit of others.

In summary, the problem was with my power supply. The problem was not to do with the total wattage supply being to low, but was actually to do with the individual voltage rails (viewable in the BIOS). My +5 volt rail was running at around 4.5 volts. Once I replaced the power supply with one that supplied the correct voltage, all the event 51 paging operation errors were resolved.

I'm sure this does not apply to everyone, but don't just check the total power output; also check that the individual voltage rails supply the correct voltage. Hope that helps.

John Lai Dec 10, 2008, 05:58am EST Report Abuse
I'd just like to add that my symptoms were very particular; the error only appears in the event viewer after a cold boot (the computer has been off for a while), never after a restart. The error usually corrupts the hard drive, leading to a variety of secondary errors including a corrput file system, inability to boot at all, etc., which can be repaired using scandisk but would reappear the next time I cold booted.

Maik Maikowski Dec 10, 2008, 07:38am EST Report Abuse
Julia Petrakis said:
Jon Iliz said:
Again, the volt meter guy proved his case to me. I applied his theory to my situation and I have my solution..

So, Jon, was your problem also related to voltage? And what did you do for your solution?

So, how do we get others here to try and test the voltage theory and perhaps earn their 15 minutes of fame by solving this problem? Guys? Gals?

Lead the way, dear Julia :D write down a solution. And we will try it ;)

Julia Petrakis Dec 10, 2008, 12:29pm EST Report Abuse
Lead the way, dear Julia :D write down a solution. And we will try it ;)

Alas, as noted previously, when we get into watts and volts, we are outside my range of experience, knowledge, or capabilities. Perhaps someone who has done this, can give guidance on how and where in the computer the measurements were made.

But, however it may be done, for starters, I would ask all those who know how to and are able to do it, to check their voltages preferably with and without Event IDs. Once that data is collected (and the more, the better), we look to see whether it appears to be a totally random effect or not.

Jon Iliz Dec 11, 2008, 04:21pm EST Report Abuse
Julia Petrakis said:
Jon Iliz said: [quote] So, Jon, was your problem also related to voltage? And what did you do for your solution?

As I posted very recently... I swapped out a 6 USB port card for a 2 USB port card. My system has been rock solid ever since. The 6 USB card caused the disk to lock up with the event 51 error every 15 minutes.

I believe the 6 USB card provided a hair less voltage because of the number of extra ports to support the disk operations than the 2 port USB card.

Jon Iliz Dec 11, 2008, 04:31pm EST Report Abuse
Julia Petrakis said:
Alas, as noted previously, when we get into watts and volts, we are outside my range of experience, knowledge, or capabilities.

And this is why this thread has been going on for so long. 98% of the people have no background experience in how to do this. So they look in other areas without ever finding a CONVENIENT solution for them.

Julia Petrakis Dec 11, 2008, 06:30pm EST Report Abuse
Jon Iliz said:
Julia Petrakis said:
Alas, as noted previously, when we get into watts and volts, we are outside my range of experience, knowledge, or capabilities.

And this is why this thread has been going on for so long. 98% of the people have no background experience in how to do this. So they look in other areas without ever finding a CONVENIENT solution for them.

That is part of why this thread has been going on for so long. Yes, 98%, including myself, have no experience in how to do this (no prerequisites for the thread were posted, as far as I know). The other part of why this thread has been going on for so long, is the 2%, who do have experience in how to do this, are apparently not going to tell the 98% who don't.

So, Dear Jon ;), did you measure a voltage difference or did you just assume that one occurred? If you measured it, would you tell the 98% just how, where, and with what you measured it?

John Lai Dec 11, 2008, 06:49pm EST Report Abuse
Dear Julia,

The power supply in your computer makes available a range of voltages for use (+5V, -5V, +12V, -12V etc.). When you turn your computer on, you have the option of entering the BIOS (usually by presssing the delete key; on some brand PCs, such as HP, you might have to press F8 first to get into the configuration menus). There will be many menus in the BIOS, and there is usually one titled "power" or something similar. In here will be listed all the voltages required and what it's current state is (this is monitored in real time; you should see the figures updating continuously). It is via this method that I noticed my +5V rail was at +4.5V and this is apparently too low. When I switch to a new power supply that gave a reading of +4.99V, my problems were resolved.

There is also another issue associated with the total wattage. This should be labeled somewhere on the power supply itself, say 250W for example. There are online calculators available (look up in whirlpool forums) that allow you to calculate a recommended total wattage for your power supply based on the hardware inside your computer.

Lastly, you could always get a multimeter and physically measure the voltages coming out of the power supply directly (just put the probes on the pins of the connectors themselves). I would not recommend this unless you know what you are doing (I did this once before and it works but it was made easier because I have an electrical engineering background). This method may be what Jon was referring to.

So the easiest thing to do would just be to go into the BIOS and check that the voltages are what they should be. Hope that helps.

Thanks

John Lai

John Lai Dec 11, 2008, 06:57pm EST Report Abuse
Oh, and I just want to add that I didn't have to remove or replace any other components in the computer. The load on the power supply was not the problem; it was just that the power supply was degraded.

Maik Maikowski Dec 17, 2008, 10:57am EST Report Abuse
Hello again. I checked my Voltage during Event 51 (in BIOS), so here is the result:

CPU Vcore 1.384 V
+12.0 V 12.091 V
+5.0 V 5.175 V
+3.3 V 3.248 V

but the only problems was, that after I escaped from BIOS, Windows loaded normaly (was only chkdsk "checking C drive" and fixed some errors). So I dont know, if voltage was "bad" during Event 51 and somehow fixed after few minutes I decided to load and check BIOS.

However, if error occures again, I will check the voltage as soon as possible now :)

Julia Petrakis Dec 17, 2008, 11:24am EST Report Abuse
I wanted first to thank John Lai for his very helpful post about checking the voltages.

Interesting that in my low-end Dell Inspiron laptop, although there is "Power Management" in the "Setup" (which I am assuming is the Bios), it does not show any voltages. Also nteresting, when talking with a friend, who is not at all computer savvy and so brings in commercial computer techs for her in-house problems, she said without hesitation "Oh, yes, 51. That's power."

Maik Maikowski Dec 17, 2008, 12:48pm EST Report Abuse
You mean PSU ? Strange. :~

Julia Petrakis Dec 17, 2008, 01:53pm EST Report Abuse
Maik Maikowski said:

PSU = power supply unit?

I am not sure who this is directed to, Maik. Can you explain?

Maik Maikowski Dec 17, 2008, 02:51pm EST Report Abuse
Julia Petrakis said:
Maik Maikowski said:

PSU = power supply unit?

I am not sure who this is directed to, Maik. Can you explain?

You said your friend mentioned "power", so power is PSU actually :|
but I don't think, that my PSU is a problem... I still believe (without evidence, I know), that this is related to HDD. But yes, others in this thread also mentioned the PSU being the problem...

or was it said metaphorically ? :D:D:D

Julia Petrakis Dec 17, 2008, 03:22pm EST Report Abuse
Maik Maikowski said:

You said your friend mentioned "power", so power is PSU actually :|
but I don't think, that my PSU is a problem... I still believe (without evidence, I know), that this is related to HDD. But yes, others in this thread also mentioned the PSU being the problem...

or was it said metaphorically ? :D:D:D

No, I don't think it was metaphorically. If I understood it correctly (someone please correct me if I did not understand it correctly), the suggestion was that there may be a chain of causality involving different things such as USB, SATA, HDD, but that the proximate cause of the 51's is/was a voltage or (as my friend said) a power problem. One poster indicated he thought it probably an excessive drain of power while another suggested a deterioration of his power supply, but in both cases it was the drop in voltage that appeared to cause the 51's.

Maik Maikowski Dec 17, 2008, 04:12pm EST Report Abuse
Hm, interesting. If I detect any drop of voltage during Event 51, I will write again. ;)

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.