Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1043 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 06:33pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
mr eddy Feb 24, 2005, 04:46am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Hey, co-sufferers

I've been banging my head on the wall for the past 48 hours with this one.. Now taking some time to share my experiences.

Initial setup was until-then-well-performed Windows XP SP 2, which bluescreened suddenly under heavy load (0x000000F4). After that, booting resulted in bluescreen. 0x0000007A (KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR) was one of my favourites at the time. So I did what all of you have done, chkdsk /r, format, reinstall. Only to discover that the problem persists. So then I ran Memtest-86 which did find some errors, swapped modules from slot to slot and let Memtest-86 run again. "Happy happy joy joy" filled my mind when there were no errors and I reformatted my drive, installed XP SP1 and everything was working smoothly. I updated Windows without installing SP2.

Then I started installing some programs and there it was again, my faithful friend Event 51. It occurs whenever I use my newly installed programs. For example Internet Explorer works OK with no errors. The symptom is short period freezing.

Board: ASUS A7V600 (onboard VIA sata raid controller)
HD: Maxtor 6Y120M0 (120G SATA)

RESULT: Obviously faulting RAM was not my only problem, nevertheles something everyone should check. Still having the 51-problem. Going out to buy a SATA-controller now. I'll report the results of that as soon as I find out.

PS. VIA users if you get the 0x000000F4 or 0x0000007A you should update your raid driver from viasraid.sys to viamraid.sys -- this will get you where we all are -- the infamous 51. Get the latest from http://www.viaarena.com.

PPS. Funny thing is that I hadn't done ANY hardware changes in a long time when the problem first occured.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
mr eddy Feb 24, 2005, 10:37am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Got the new SATA RAID Controller from a local retailer for 39 euros...

On my first boot there were some Event 51's for the CDROM, but NONE for the HD. And now I'm running programs again happily with no errors and improved performance.

So if you have these symptoms, ditch your motherboard or get a separate SATA controller.

Might be premature to pop the champagne but what the hell, I need it :)

Duane Schliebe Feb 24, 2005, 07:31pm EST Report Abuse
YEAH, another point for the good guys.

Just an update, my Promise PCI card continues to chug along with veeeeery heavy usage, already filled and emptied an 80GB RAID 1 array several times, drive used at least 40-50 hours a week, NARY AN EVENT ID--not at all!

So pop your champagne cork and enjoy, my Si3112A onboard SATA/RAID controller is sheer decoration to brag to my friends about, the workhorse is in a slot next door...

At least this is helping some people, SCSI and server folks, don't know, probably has similar roots though...

Moto Guzzi Feb 25, 2005, 12:46pm EST Report Abuse
It begins to look it's more a Microsoft problem than anything else, in Fact the errer messege was desighned by MS, so they should know how this error is ticking.

I still think if this forum could set up a proper research list from SW, PSU, MB to AC & Fire Wall, we can pinpoint this to MS or not, may this is what they need to be able to accept it for further investigation.

I can not up till now link this error to anything like TEMP, etc, so a survey is required. So far I did noticed that I never see this problem after a forced reboot, like installing updates from MS, or some updates from Symantec. So what if different in these cases, to other boot's.

Seeing that this forum is the most alive with this problem on the Internet, can a moderator or the siteowner take this up in the form of a survey from all it's registred members notified by E-Mail.

mr eddy Feb 27, 2005, 07:40am EST Report Abuse
I don't think that it is a Windows problem. I think it's some small component, a capacitor or something like that on the motherboard / ide-controller that is failing. Since many companies use the same component suppliers it would explain the variety of the involved brands.

Just my two cents.

PS. I still get every now and then a disk event 51 during startup, but never (so far) during normal use. This would indicate that the problematic component on the motherboard(?) is still being used for something, even though I use a separate sata-controller.

Duane Schliebe Feb 27, 2005, 02:24pm EST Report Abuse
I checked my event log again, now several months and LOTS of hard drive (Promise PCI RAID 1 array 2 X Samsung 80GB SATA) and still have no ID 51's, 9's or 7's, used to get them all the time.

Look at the cause of the event error. I still get event 51, but only for the CD-ROM, when I try and read a bad disk, and I get event 9, but not for the Si3112a, not on start-up, not ever.

My guess is that somewhere along the line a service pack will come out somewhere about the same time MB on board controllers undergo a firmware change.
I am not aware of this issue for Linux users, anyone out there a Linux user with this issue?

barrie williams Mar 01, 2005, 02:49am EST Report Abuse
hi i to am haveing this prob i have 3 western digitals 2 x 200gb 8mb cache 1 x 120gb 8mb cache and 1 deskstar 200gb all fairly new i never had this prob until now i just fineshed modding my new case reinstalled xp and decided to get sp2 as i was in hurry and a few days l8r i got this and theres hundreds in there its continious on boot up in disk managment it says all discs r health ive formatted disc 0 5 times now and still get them i also get this 2 but dnt no what it means :( The device, \Device\Scsi\Pnp680r1, did not respond within the timeout period.
im not to clever at indepth problems such as these i have c: and dvd rewrite on ide 1 another drive on ide 2 and 2 x on a raid card both as master whcih all worked fine untill 2 days ago :(

plz help

mr eddy Mar 01, 2005, 12:59pm EST Report Abuse
Hey Barrie,

Try troubleshooting your problem by reducing the devices to a minimum (only c: -drive). If the problem is still there, switch it from ide 1 to 2. And if it's still there... well you might then try to have your system drive on the raid controller.

The problem could be in your ide controller or the raid controller. So a new raid card might help? Also the possibility of a hard disk failure is not ruled out... :(

Well, I'm no expert but hope it helps.

- Eddy

barrie williams Mar 01, 2005, 04:25pm EST Report Abuse
hey mr eddy

well today i turned the enable write to cache on the disk off and all seems to be ok now :) touch wood
ive rebooted played games copy'd files onto it and still no errors so hopefully all is ok now fingers crossed

Steve Burke Mar 02, 2005, 11:35am EST Report Abuse
Barrie,

I turned off the write cache also (in my SATA Link configuration), however the write times of the hard disk when very poor. Using PC Wizard 2004, the buffered and unbuffered write times were both only around 5megs.
I thought that this solved my problem - initially however. The errors soon came back when I tried to print a 500 page pdf.
I changed back on the write cache, the write speeds immediately went back.

A solution in place (still testing) is where i changed the tmp and temp system variables to use my ordinary IDE hard drive.
Will let ye know how it goes.
-steve

Pete M Mar 03, 2005, 11:29am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation -
I think I know where the problem is. At least with the case of Intel based chipset motherboards.

I had been having the same problems for months, and I didnt know why it was happening with my hard disk since it was brand new. So, after a little experiment with add/remove programs, after removing almost all my applications, I came up to the Intel Application Accelerator in my list of programs. After uninstalling it, I never got any "Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation" or "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block" again.

It seems that this program " Intel Application Accelerator", creates conflicts between the different storage components.

At least, this was the case with my computer.

Let me know of your findings regarding this.

raging ing Mar 08, 2005, 06:24pm EST Report Abuse
I too am now getting this error
It's happening when i transfer files from a harddrive on a ide cable to a usb harddrive
does not matter what harddrive i put into the usb box the error happens
It's annoying because the files are'nt transfered properly and the get screwed up

the drives that i put into the usb box are 250gig Western digital and 120gig maxtor
I have asus p4p800 se mother board, 1024gig dual channel ram
pentium 2.4gig processor

this issue never happens on any of my drives that are connected via ide cable

Ryan Beattie Mar 19, 2005, 02:57pm EST Report Abuse
I am experiencing this error as well. My error is "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk4\D during a paging file operation. "Harddisk4" being my brand new 300gb ide maxtor diamondmax 10 model 6B300S0. I bought it to put into a usb2.0 external hd enclosure so I could have all my stuff portable to use with a laptop. I transfered a lot of stuff immediately, almost filled the entire harrdrive (~240 of 279gb). I shut off the drive, came back the next day and put a few more things on the drive, then noticed that I could only access about half of the directories I had created. The others gave some sort of "corrupted" message. At this point I shut the drive off and rebooted my computer. When it came back up, the drive wasn't even initialized and was being showed as "unallocated". So I initialized and reformatted it. At this point I looked into the event viewer and found my error. It had happened about 6 times the night I was transfering all my files, and once right before I lost everything. (Fortunately, I copied most of my stuff, so I still had it, most) Now with a clean drive again, I started transfering stuff onto the drive again, I received the error once again, but haven't received it since. (I'm copying stuff over as I type this). The enclosure I am using is a PPA ME-780U2-2162.

raging ing Mar 21, 2005, 11:44pm EST Report Abuse
the one harddrive the 250gig gives me a id 51 error in the usb enclosure but if i install it on my ide cable 2 as slave drive i can copy like 50gigs no problem no errors.
now too also my dvd burner wont keep a full software buffer and the drive buffer is constantly up and down.

what i dont get is I have used the same setup for 3 months no problems(bought new mother board,ram,cpu), i had to do a xp pro(sp1) repair a couple of times recently, this is the only thing that has really changed recently.
Before i had xp pro sp1 with most of the updates before sp2.

So my asus p4p800 SE has intel 865PE & ICH5R chipset , supports HT(don't use), supports raid & sata(don't use). I have the intel 82801 Ultra ATA storage controllers (3/25/2004)

Joseph Squires Mar 28, 2005, 06:48pm EST Report Abuse
I'm having the same problem on my laptop. At first I thought it was my hard drive, because a few weeks ago it just stopped responding and I got an IDE #0 error, and it wouldn't detect the hard drive nor the dvd drive. After bringing it to the shop (it's still under warranty) they told me that they reseated the ram and hard drive and it booted up again. All was well, until last night. I wasn't even doing anything on the laptop, it was just sitting on my desk with a weird sound coming from the drive.

I could still move the mouse around, but as soon as I clicked on something I got the blue screen of death. For about 5 reboots afterwards, I got the BSOD again, and I couldn't even get into my system. After elaving the computer for a few hours, I turned it back on and it took a good 15 minutes to boot into windows where I could actually use it. It usually takes about a minute. Then I noticed the event 51 error in the event viewer..and started researching it.

It would seem that it's a controller issue. Quite possibly it could be both a controller and hard drive issue, but since the problems are so varied over so many different types of computers, it's a hard one to pinpoint. It also does seem like it's a Microsoft problem, but why would this problem just appear out of the blue when the system was running quite stable for months before?? Boggles my mind.

My laptop is a toshiba satellite 5200 with a 2.2 GHz processor (not hyperthreded) and 1 GB of RAM. It has a slow 4200 RPM 60 GB Hard Drive partitioned into two drives, and ever since I put in the RAM, I had the paging file turned off completely...about 3 months now. I never made any hardware or software changes recently, save for the anti-virus and anyt-spyware updates. if my drive really is going, or the controller, I'd like to know how to find out for sure before the warranty on my laptop runs out!

Joe

Moto Guzzi Mar 29, 2005, 02:21pm EST Report Abuse
I have narrowed down my problem to IDE 2. If I disable the CDROM/RW drive on IDE 2 as master, the problem is gone.

IDE 1=3rd new disk drive as master connected here.

IDE 2=1x AOPEN CDROM/RW drive as master, and 1x AOPEN DVD/ROM drive as slave.

Because these drives has their own BIOSes, and I want a DVD writer, I am thinking buying a DVD writer to fit as master on IDE 2 to try and solve this.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Question:Can you people recommend the best DVD writer to me, or at least say what I should avoid ?

Jeremy Ames Apr 04, 2005, 06:42pm EDT Report Abuse
I was also having this problem after adding a new SCSI drive to my database server. I was thinking it was the drive itself, but when looking at the message a little closer, I realized it wasn't the new drive causing the error, it was the backup drive tied to it. I looked at the backup drive through diskkeeper and saw that it was 67% fragged and marked critical. I defragged and we'll see where that gets me. Anyway, I know 2003 server is not supposed to be effected by fragmentation (NTFS core and all) but it seems that this is the cause. Just a little reminder to start with the simplest solutions first.

Richard Darling Apr 05, 2005, 08:58am EDT Report Abuse
Hi Jeremy,
I defrag every night, and still continue to have this issue. Based on the majority of posts I see here I think it is a MS issue. However, I hope that defrag is the solution fo ryou.
Richard

egd Apr 09, 2005, 07:33pm EDT Report Abuse
After having independently sought to solve this problem using every alternative I could think of (and believe me I've tried everything incl. HDD replacements, swapping drives on SATA channels, enabling and disabling RAID etc.) I'm convinced Duane Schliebe has the answer - the problem lies with the SI 3112A on-board SATA controller. Simply put, it is a piece of s**t and should be turned off in the BIOS. Doing this and connecting SATA drives that had "problems" on the 3122A controller to either the ICH5R or a PCI card based SATA controller (in my case a Promise controller) solves the problem.

Duane - thx, you confirmed my suspicions and gave me the impetus I needed to go out and buy a replacement SATA controller. Problemo solved!

David Smith Apr 09, 2005, 09:17pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi guys, I read this thread with interest last night after getting the same error 51 along with the error 9. I noticed this after formatting & reinstalling a 3D game that wouldnt run although it had previously worked fine. I also noticed windows would freeze for a second or 3 & be slow to open windows..did a full scan for viruses..found nothing..scandisk said the HDD was ok..even ran seagate diagnostics (barracuda 120Gb drive) & that checked out ok. Apart from the symptoms mentioned above I also could hear a faint clicking coming from my drive..particularly when I tried to run the game. Then all the event 51 & 9 errors would appear. Swapped my cdrom thinking maybe that had something to do with it..still had the problem.

Now heres what fixed the problem for me. First I swapped my IDE cable for another. Now because when I tried to run the game I would get stuttering sound I also removed & redetected my SB live card (is this a common denominator perhaps?) in device manager. I also ran the hive fix that was listed her though Im not sure that would have made any difference as I believe that is for Win 2k whereas im running XP SP2 but as I was desperate I tried it anyway. I then rebooted & havent had a problem since. Been running several hours now..game runs fine..no errors..

So as to what exactly fixed it I dont know. I tend to lean toward the IDE cable though. And I dont think the cable itself was to blame..I think for some reason just reseating it fixed my woes. Go figure. The other interesting thing is I have noticed this problem once before. How I fixed it that time from memory was deleting my partition & formatting & scandisking the whole drive, as it kept wanting to do a chkdsk on drive D though it never found any errors.

I also noticed however on this occassion to that once I was up & running I tried to do a defrag & it said C needs to run chkdsk? (though I'd already run one before trying to find the problem), anyway it found a minor error that it fixed, then defragged fine. Been sweet since.

Btw when I reseated the IDE cable I also turned ON hyperthreading (had to turn it off after the format as I have no end of problems trying to install my USB modem with it turned on) but Ive had this turned off b4 & not noticed the event errors so I doubt its related.

Hope this helps someone.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.