Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1124 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 23 - 03:25am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Ronald Ledbetter Mar 21, 2009, 12:34pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
nick lougras Mar 24, 2009, 11:10pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
i have windows xp sp3.i had the same problem and i found the sollution:
Device Manager ->IDE- ATAPI controlller-> Primary SATA Channel->properties->uncheck choise "enable command queing"

it worked for me.the freezing pc problem stopped

Shion Tanaka Mar 27, 2009, 07:23am EDT Report Abuse
nick lougras said:
i had the same problem and i found the sollution:
Device Manager ->IDE- ATAPI controlller-> Primary SATA Channel->properties->uncheck choise "enable command queing"

That works but not every chipset's drivers have that feature.
You can disable NCQ also by setting the HDD from Sata 2 to Sata 1 via jumpers or utility.

By the way I use Windows 2000 so this is not only an XP problem.

Tom Hiatt Mar 30, 2009, 11:29am EDT Report Abuse
I have the same errors when transferring to my wd essential 1TB USB (fat32).
Not to my lacie 500Gig USB (fat32). (However, I had partition loss once on this drive)
The wd drive has been doublechecked for errors, even reformatted in NTFS and then reformatted back to fat32 (both times slow format).
The drive does not give an error when going to power-save mode.
My USB stick sandisk 4gig cruzer never generates errors.
I have no virtual rom drives so no sptd service is running. (ie. daemon tools, alcohol 120%)
The strangest thing I saw is when transferring file(s) and I rightclick on "My Documents" in the taskbar or any other open task, the transfer stops (both HDD have it).
When I remove the right click context menu, the transfer continues.
The "error" does not show in log when I do this, only random when transferring.
Could this be something to do with duplicate IRQ's ?

On the other hand I suspect my PSU as well (350watt tybotech, 5-6 years old)
Mobo is ABIT SA7
1 gig DDR RAM
2 internal IDE HDD 200 and 80gig (western digital caviar)
1 Plextor PX-716A
1 4-port USB 2.0 PCI card
1 Extra nic (1 on mobo)
1 gforce fx 5200 Graphics Card
All drivers are up to date and no errors or yellow exclamation marks.

With speedfan my 3.3Volt is 3.14 Volt. The rest is all in range.
Bios says the same...

Twice I had partition loss with corrupt files with strange folders and filenames.
Twice recovered with getdataback.

After reading the whole thread I thaught i'll add my problem 2...
Maybe someone has a lead...

GreetzZ

chris estrada Mar 31, 2009, 03:27pm EDT Report Abuse
problem fixed on my system
Pentium 4 3.0 ghz HT
Abit vt7 mobo
radeon x800 pro
1 gig ram dual channel
250 gig WD hd

I also was getting this event ID 51 problem.I also noticed that a event id 9 was coming along with it also this error said that the viamraid.sys had not responded during its timeout period. It all happened exactly at the moment when i started a 3d game along with the HD making a clicking noise and freezing my PC to the point of a crash.Well to turn a long story short, i read what John Lai had posted about the voltages and it got me thinking. If this could be happening then i could possibly unplug all of my peripherals including 3 of my 6 fans, remove my floppy and connect a power connector that was directly coming out of the PSU to my HD. I also did the following:

check voltages IN bios to make sure it matches my rails
change SATA cable
REMOVE FANS

change PS connector on HD
disconnect CD-roms or any IDE peripherals

Under performance options
processor scheduling on background services

memory usage on system cache
I followed all of these steps from this thread alone. SO READ IT ALL BEFORE POSTING ANYMORE TO THIS 6 YEAR OLD THREAD YOU MIGHT GET YOU FIX.
So far every 3d game i start works with out a hitch and i no longer get any event errors for the moment being.
I suppose that if i wanted to connect everything back the i would need a new PSU.

Will Belford Apr 14, 2009, 05:10am EDT Report Abuse
I had this problem on a Dell Dimension 8400 (XP Service Pack 3) with a 250 mb Western Digital 2500KS drive, to which I'd added a Seagate 500mb drive. I had all sorts of blue screens and hangs and slowing down, you name it. So I checked the Computer Management Event Viewer (Start-->My Computer-->right-click-->Manage-->System Tools-->Event Viewer) and found that I kept getting the following warning:

'An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.' (Event 9)

This led immediately to the error 'The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.' (Event 51)

I tried many things, including updating drivers, running disk diagnostics and putting the paging file onto the Seagate, but nothing fixed it. Apparently XP insists on using a paging file on the C: drive whether or not you tell it to use one elsewhere.

Eventually I discovered that XP in its original form didn't support drives greater than 137 gig. Subsequent XP Service Packs are supposed to have addressed this, but the Western Digital drive still appeared to have a 137 gigabyte 'limit' as far as the paging file was concerned. As soon as the drive had more than 137 meg of data on it, XP presumably thought there was no more room on the disk for the paging file and was timing out trying to write it, hence the error (Event 51).

Solution:
I downloaded Western Digital's Data Lifeguard tool (http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?fid=wdfDesktop_Cav...dc_lang=en). When I ran it, the program announced that it needed to make a change to the registry to enable >137 mg operation. This seems to have fixed the problem and I haven't had the warning or the error since.

I also installed the Intel Application Accelerator in the course of things (http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/); that didn't fix the problem, but I gather it's necessary to enable the full size of the drive to be used.

In the course of the many hours I spent resolving this I found AIDA32 by Tamas Miklos a useful tool for getting detail of what's on your PC: http://majorgeeks.com/download181.html

Ricardo de Voogd May 01, 2009, 08:52am EDT Report Abuse
I too, am getting this error. Usually it goes hand in hand with controller errors linked to my HDD and/or DVD-ROM. In my case I generally get the controller errors at random (event ID 11) and when my system is about to crash it freezes and generates a lot of the event ID 51 errors. My DVD-ROM also seems to generate a lot of event 9's (device did not respond before timeout). Does anyone have any idea why both my HDD and DVD are getting the controller errors?

Generally my system crashes when trying to copy a large amount of data from one partition to another but it also happens when trying to install large programs. When using pc in a casual way (looking at websites, using MSN) I don't experience any problems at all even though event 11 seems to occur every once in a while.

Usually the crashes generate a BSoD with the following message: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. Digging deeper into the issue reveals that it is linked to the error code 0xC000000E (STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE) which leads me to believe that either my HDD is slowly dieing (does not explain why my DVD is generating the same errors) or I've got a bad controller on my mobo.

I have tried a lot of different solutions, including testing my RAM and HDD for any errors, both came out clean. I've replaced my SATA cables various times, plugging it into another SATA socket on my motherboard and many other things. No luck so far.

I've still got the following solutions to try:
Replace power cables as these may be broken (was suggested to me on another site)
Buy a seperate PCI card with SATA controllers

I do doubt wether buying a PCI card with controllers would fix the issue with my DVD drive though. Any suggestions on that particular issue?

Specs:
ASUS P5K Pro mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.0Ghz
2GB RAM from Kingston
Samsung SpinPoint F1 320GB HDD (SATAII, running in IDE mode)
Club3D HD4870 1GB
Plextor PX-130A DVD drive

EDIT: Although I say DVD drive I'm wondering if it actually is. The error refers to \Device\Ide\IdePort0 and the source is 'atapi'. If it's my HDD the source is 'disk' and the error refers to \Device\Harddisk0\D.

Will Belford May 02, 2009, 07:18pm EDT Report Abuse
After thinking I'd solved this I then got the error again a few hours later (aaargh!). Eventually I succumbed to the inevitable and bought new hard disk, re-installed XP and all my programs and the problem has gone away.

What does this mean? Just because three separate disk diagnosis programs tell you the disk is perfect, doesn't mean it is!

Arcadia Eternal May 02, 2009, 10:55pm EDT Report Abuse
nick lougras said:
i have windows xp sp3.i had the same problem and i found the sollution:

HI

I have the same problem too. After I bought my WD 1TB HD to replace my old 60GB HD. I try to format the XP. But the problem still happen again. Luckly I saw you reply. I already disable it and hope it will never happen again.

Update 4 May
It was happen again. This method is not work for me.
:(

Juan F May 03, 2009, 01:13pm EDT Report Abuse
I have the same page damn problem and is driving me crazy. I did 3 reformat but didn't helped.

When i'm copying a big file like the one i was testing (2.76GB) to a same area of the hard disk but the computers lags and freeze for a while. The copying is very very slow, the remaining time shows 156 minutes and keep changing up and down.

I have two hard drives (SATA, i dont have ATA) one WD 2500KS (250GB) and WD800JD, i use the first one as the regular and everyday use (and the one that seems related to the error) and the second is for backup of the system. Extracting files from RAR are horrible now, really slow.

If i copy the 2.76GB folder from the 2500KS to the other drive it copy fast and without error, but vice versa is another story. it lags, freeze and the error.

But if i copy or move the big folder into another place inside the same second hard drive (wd800jd) it copy and move fast.

All this problems started 3 weeks ago. Defrags are very slow in the first disk and lags in the process even if the disk do not have a lot of fragments.

The messages in Event Viewer are:

The description for Event ID ( 9 ) in Source ( SiSRaid ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: \Device\Scsi\SiSRaid1.

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

3. And the write delayed bla bla thing..bla bla file could not be saved. it lost...something like that.

I have formatted 3 times but quick format, never used the write zero format, should i use it?

I changed the SATA cable with new one but the problems remains.

Motherboard
P4S800D-X
chipset SiS

Maik Maikowski May 03, 2009, 03:23pm EDT Report Abuse
Quick format is piece ofs**t. Use Full Format, then you can expect some changes. Of course, it will delete all your info in C:\ drive, so make backup first.

So if your HDD has two partitions, Full Format C:\ disk.

Juan F May 03, 2009, 05:53pm EDT Report Abuse
I swapped the hard drives and connected the WD 2500KS (250GB) to the second sata port and the WD800JD to the first sata port, then it didn't worked. Sounds to me like the problem relies on the first port because both drives worked fine on the second port.

But what a strange thing, how that can be damaged if that's the problem?

Will Belford May 03, 2009, 07:29pm EDT Report Abuse
I also disabled the Shadow Copy Service, which seemed to be generating a lot of issues:
Start-->My Computer
Right-click-->Manage
Services and Applications-->Services
Set MS Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy to 'Disabled'.

Juan F May 13, 2009, 09:40am EDT Report Abuse
I tried that but no good, in my case i think is the hard drive. I've tested it with a USB\SERIAl ADAPTER to use it externally but the result was the same so i'm gonna try and send this sucker to western digital before warranty expire.

Juan F May 25, 2009, 08:13am EDT Report Abuse
Great, now the second Hard drive is giving me the %^%$^$ message.

glenn antle Jun 19, 2009, 10:45am EDT Report Abuse
well guys i had the same problem with a seagate 500 gig hd with new update so thought it was failing, replaced it with a western digital 640 gig. fresh install of xp all was well until i loaded microsuck zune software then errors again...
i had only loaded 2 programs the night before and zune was 1 of them, uninstalled it bingo errors gone..
my wife loves her zune but software sucks...
hope this might help someone...

Juan F Jun 19, 2009, 10:49am EDT Report Abuse
My problem was the HD it seems. I sent it for RMA to Western Digital and now the problem has gone.

glenn antle Jun 19, 2009, 11:00am EDT Report Abuse
i will probably do the same with my seagate, the seek error rate is well below what it should be. according to speedfan analysis performance and health is 53%..
it's one of the barracuda 11 series they are having many problems with..
thanks for the reply...

Juan F Jun 19, 2009, 02:10pm EDT Report Abuse
But before sending it you should test with another good power supply or check the voltages on the BIOS, there cases where the voltage to the drives is bad.

glenn antle Jun 19, 2009, 03:15pm EDT Report Abuse
my psu is ok i replaced a 450 watt one with a 700 watt coolmaster and i've checked voltages they are good.. i also have a seagate 500 gig series 10 hd that has been going good for past 2 yrs. i now have total of 3 drives on sata with the series 10 on a ide to sata adapter. the series 10 still has 90% health and performance...
have a good one folks my error left with microsuck zune software :)

update:
i just had a power outage and all my external hd's were on when i started up and i got the error again, turned them off and restarted no error lol. so my guess is anything that windows tries to access on startup except c drive is my problem, cos the zune software was setup to access d drive and i even tried to move the files to another drive and partition with same error.
have a good one :)

update 2

i still ended up having the same problem later, i ran across this fix in a travel site forum.
you have to edit the registry but i have had no problems since, seems my pc doesn't like some software and then you can tell if it is hardware or sowtware giving error.
the solution:

Start -> Run -> Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

EnablePrefetcher -> 1

Set EnablePrefetcher to 1

mine was set on 3, changed to 1, poof it boots with 3 lines or less on xp startup instead of hd flashing for 10-15 seconds ang getting 10+ device\harddisk0\d during a paging operation.

no guarantees but it had no ill effects on xp starting or running just got rid of the error.

Hope this helps, can't hurt...

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY CAMPING ;)

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.