Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 707 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s March 25 - 09:33am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Jeff Boemler Dec 14, 2011, 08:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Here is an update to my post concerning Event ID 51 - "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation" ... back on Feburary 12, 2009 on this topic.

Here is what I have found with my experience with external USB hard drive enclosures related to this isolated event ID 51. ...That is, having no other related Event ID's associated with it.

The original post was in reference to an external USB WD MyBook (02/12/2009). After cracking open the case and installing the hard drive internally, these errors stopped. In the past few weeks I experienced the exact same behavior with a Samsung G3 Station 1TB USB external storage enclosure tested on two different computers running Windows XP SP3 and generating the exact same error. I once again cracked open the case and installed the hard drive internally, and again stopped these errors. In addition, I have purchased multiple hard drive enclosures where you provide and install the hard drive into the enclosure (enclosure + hard drive purchased separately) without experiencing any of these errors.

My conclusion, based on my experiences, is that these all in one hard drive USB external enclosures come with proprietary circuit control boards. These mini boards seem to be equipped with automatic sleep mode built-in for your convienence (or inconvienence, if you follow me), and at some predetermined time (very short) put the drive in sleep mode when the drive is not being accessed. ...Again, for your convienence. I believe that while in this vendor provided sleep mode, when the system needs to access this device either for the processing of data or to check on the device, that this process generates these errors. Though I do not think the errors indicated any problems, but rather are false negatives, thus possibly confusing the indication at some point that a real issue might exist.

So for me... in the future I will stay away from such external storage devices and either go with internal storage or purhcase separately the hard drive and enclosure and use this configuration only. In these types of confgurations, I have yet to see any of these isolated Event ID 51 errors....

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
llewellyn forde Jul 08, 2013, 07:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
ok so i have been experiencing this very same issue. after much research and reading quite a few forums, i finally decided to go to my BIOS settings and I changed the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE. I've not seen the error come up since. Let's hope this works. If it works for anyone else.please let me know

thanks

Carlos Capparelli Jul 11, 2013, 12:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Cool, will try, thanks :)

llewellyn forde Jul 11, 2013, 12:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Please let me know if it works for you. its only happened once since i made the change in the SATA-Mode settings and what caused the error was unrelated

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.