Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1031 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 06:36pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\H...a paging operation 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>
Oliver Ilk Apr 17, 2005, 01:39pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
I also experience these errors 51 on my PC. Sometimes along with error 9.
I spent considerable time and money to test, debug, change components, configurations etc.
Combining my own configurations and measures tested so far and the ones described in this highly interesting thread, I tend to clearly exclude some of the potential causes mentioned:

1) not related to XP - I use W2k
2) not SATA related - I use IDE ATA-133, others use USB attached drives
3) not disk brand related - happens with all sorts of disk brands/sizes etc
4) not MOBO ctrl related - I use PCI controllers
5) not Sound Blaster related - still happened after I removed SB card
6) 51 "paging operation" just means general I/O, not Win/OS paging file related
7) not depending on MOBO chipset - happens on VIA, Intel and others

The problem seems to be related to RAID controllers, e.g. Silicon Image 0680.
Same problem after switching to Aralion (Korean brand) based RAID controllers, though.
Will get a Promise next week. I'm fed up with debugging...
(Thanks to Duane Schliebe for bringing up the option!)

If you really want to narrow this down, this will be quite a challenge.
The combinations and dependencies are huge.
VIA clearly has issues with their chipset controlling large data transfers on the PCI bus.
Accelerator SW for Intel chipsets have similar issues, but for different reasons.
Bottomline seems to me that PCI is just not specified/standardized clearly enough, esp. for high data rates.
So let's just use the components that happen to work for the time being and leave it to the vendors to fix their problems.

Best regards,
Oliver

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
egd Apr 18, 2005, 06:19pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation
Oliver

Just a thought - to suggest it is not an operating system issue because you have experienced the same problem on W2K ie part of the same Windows family as XP and W2K3 is probably not a sound argument. What would be interesting to know is whether anyone has experienced the same problems under other OS' eg any flavour of Linux running under the 2.6 kernel.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has run the same or similar hardware and raid config under Linux or Unix running on an i32 platform?

David Smith Apr 18, 2005, 09:10pm EDT Report Abuse
I dont think this is a RAID related issue as I dont run RAID on my board.

btw, I have noticed the error creep back once or twice since my last post but it always seems to occur after I have had a 2nd HDD hooked up to my main IDE cable as a secondary drive (I often connect customers HDD's to this cable to scan for viruses etc). So maybe its the fact the cable has shifted slightly from the IDE port..not sure. But reseating it & a reboot fixes the problem everytime. And it seems to occur with different 'good' cables.

Oliver Ilk Apr 19, 2005, 10:30am EDT Report Abuse
mystic boer,

I didn't mean to suggest it was not an OS thing. My point was it is not an XP only thing, but also occurs in W2k (and maybe other Windows derivatives). Don't know about Linux.

I tend to believe, however, that these issues are caused by timing problems in the PCI architecture, or the way IDE controllers interact with the PCI bus, resp.
The only thing an operating system could probably do is to allow for some more tolerance.
But then again, the error msg originates from device drivers developed by controller makers, not by MS.

Anyway, I replaced my ATA-133 controllers by a Promise card - and the problems are gone...

The annoying thing is that I can't get those SiI 0680 entries off my hidden devices list. Uninstalled multiple times, they always come back. They don't seem to hurt but still they simply don't belong there anymore.
Any suggestion here?

Best regards
Oliver

Dig Dug Apr 19, 2005, 02:25pm EDT Report Abuse
Oliver is right. It's not a hardware problem, but a software. I have the same problem with my W2K/AMD/VIA SATA-RAID1 configuration.

Before november 2004 (Before the release of Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2003). Nobody had any troubles. After that people with Intel and AMD systems using VIA, SIS and Intel chipsets have these problems. Also with or without RAID. SATA and IDE controllers. All are having the same problems.

It's looks like a Microsoft Windows timing problem and it happens mostly with heavy disk access like reading lots of files at the same time or writing large files.

Normally the chipset vendors (VIA, SIS, Intel) should address this problem to Microsoft.
Go to sites like http://www.viaarena.com and address the problem.

Besides that the subject should be:
Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation
That solves the "D" question earlier.

David Smith Apr 19, 2005, 07:06pm EDT Report Abuse
I dont believe this is a software issue. As mentioned in my case, simply adding & removing a HDD can cause this problem & reseating the cable fixes it. So to me that suggests a hardware issue. Someone else in this thread also fixed his problem by using a controller card - not by making any software changes.

Dig Dug Apr 20, 2005, 01:26pm EDT Report Abuse
So you did not install any drivers? Besides that, it looks like the software is handeling onboard hardware different as add-on cards. Because the same chipset that gave troubles (SIS in earlier posts) in an add-on version (PCI card) it gives no problem...
Besides this NOBODY had any troubles before the updates... (The few who had maybe had faulty hardware...)

raging ing Apr 20, 2005, 05:56pm EDT Report Abuse

No matter what I do or try i get event id 51 when i use the usb enclosure. I have given up on the usb enclosure
well I have bought an ide enclosure that comes with hot swap software. i have no problems with transfering lots of large files with the 250 gig harddrive.
what a waste of money on the hdd usb enclosure
all my drives work fine on ide cables

In my situation i have come to the conclusion it is either
1) Intel ultra ata storage & usb2 drivers or
2) M$ mass usb driver or other M$ usb drivers. Microsoft has not updated there usb drivers since 2001.
or possibly the 48bit LBA does not work properly with large harddrives for some reason

sorry I have no solution for anyone but I thought I would give my 2 cents on what is causing the problem

John Smith Apr 20, 2005, 10:23pm EDT Report Abuse
It's not an OS issue because I tried to install Red Hat Linux on an IDE that produced a lot of these errors. I managed to complete the install, but then as soon as I began to use it, it just would hang. I would click on icons and there would be no response. I reinstalled Red Hat with no effect, until I installed it on a new IDE.

LanTHrusteR LTHR Apr 28, 2005, 05:07am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: It looks like the problem is in a non NCQ/TCQ controller - NCQ/TCQ SATA hard disk conflict

egd Apr 28, 2005, 04:48pm EDT Report Abuse
Having read the entire thread and contributed my own experiences and thoughts I've come to the conclusion that there is no single answer to this problem, and that for most of us it is pretty much a matter of trial and error to attempt to isolate the source of the error within our particular configurations. I've got SuSE 9.3 Pro and I'm going to install it over the weekend using my previous config to see if I can replicate the error under Linux. Fundamentally though, I reckon that because SATA1 technology was pretty new when most of us bought our motherboards there have been some teething problems and they are probably a combination of hardware and software issues - in short, we've all bought unreliable technology.

For the moment I'll live with the workarounds but definitely won't be buying another motherboard or hard drive until SATA2 is deployed as an on board, proven feature. For that matter, my next MOBO will also be a 64 bit solution. What surprises me is that the Internet is littered with a discussion of the issues we've all experienced, however, I've not been able to find a single response from a hardware vendor nor Microsoft. It's almost as if they collectively refuse to acknolwedge the issue exists and is widespread.

Out of curiosity I even tried an extreme solution of rebuilding my own BIOS code by removing the SI BIOS module, incorporating SI's latest BIOS for the 3112A into the BIOS code and then flashing the MOBO. End result: lastest BIOS for the 3112A but no difference - as long as the 3112A is enabled in my BIOS (with or without RAID support) I get the paging errors we've all so lovingly discussed here.

Turning it off and using a PCI based Promise controller to provide additional SATA channels solved the problem.

Pppp Apr 29, 2005, 10:18am EDT Report Abuse
Hi!
I am from Italy and I have the same problem: "Event ID - 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation"

I think I have found the cause.
I have a Shuttle XPC SB75G2 and when I installed WindowsXP Pro I have NOT pressed the F6 button to give him the ICH5R driver because I was thinking to use it in IDE mode.
When installed, I realized that without those drivers the controller couldn't run at his best so to not use all the SATA capabilities.
So I whent for installing the drivers, but without activating the controller in bios that was not possible, and I couldn't activate it because then Windows was without any controller drivers.
This was bad because the only cleen way to give to Windows those drivers was to format C: and reinstall Windows.
I tried so to make a Windows Repair operation to mainain my actual system but having the capability to press the F6 button and give him the drivers.

After all this mess I am having the Event ID 51.
I have used the last Intel drivers and installed the IAA software application, even if I am using everything in IDE mode (RAID mode is selected in bios). This is the only way to use the ICH5R controller of this motherboard at its maximum capabilities.

Talking with some friends that have some Windows tecnical web sites here in Italy, they told me that when using the F6 cunction, the most important thing is to use the main motherboard manufacture IDE/RAID drivers because in most cases Intel or other drivers can be a little different.
About their installation, the most important thing is that the letter "S" that must be pressed to give the floppy MUST be pressed twice to tell Windows twice wich driver must be used, otherwise it could install its drivers or install them in compatibility mode. You have to think that its relaly stupid and that he has not understood good.
In other words, after pressing F6 you have to press S and then insert the floppy with the drivers. After this, you have to press S again and specify driver again. At this time you can press ENTER.
If this is not done twice, WindowsXP setup could use its own drivers or install the one on the floppy in not a correct way.
After this it is strongly recommended to install IAA only if neaded.

They have found that these things solved their problems on several machines.

I'll try uninstalling IAA, and if nothing happens I'll try with another Windows Repair using the twice S option.
Last canche is to uninstall the ICH5R RAID drivers completely and use them like before a little slower because I just cant format.

Stay tooned. :)

Bob Stewart Apr 30, 2005, 05:26am EDT Report Abuse
Installed a PCI-based Adaptec controller in January - Not a single error since

Please save yourself - if you're having this problem, go buy a new controller and get on with your life!!

Moto Guzzi Apr 30, 2005, 07:20am EDT Report Abuse
>> IDE-2
Since I disabled the CDRW & DVD/CDROM drives on IDE-2, this problem has disappeared for weeks now.

This proved to me that the Disk drive can be accessed at all times successfully.....

In the mean time I enable the device as I needs it till MS comes up with a selution.

****I think one should differenciate between the Event ID 51 coming up alone, without be able to find a selution by swopping things, and situations wehere other eventID's like "9" also comes up.
In any case wait at least 3x months before you decide you indeeed have solved the problem...??

***I still think that the OS from MS causes the wrong IDE to be accessed, relating to a no response, but MS write these criteria for error messages, so they should well know what is causing it. So far the OS looks the most suspicious......The reason I think it's the OS, is because I got this problem after upgrading to a P4 3GHz with HT processor. Before that I never saw it in the previous 3.5 years. By uninstalling the processor etc I managed to get rid of it, till much later when I upgraded to SP2.....That was when I could not get rid of it ???

***I have never reformatted or re-installed my system, I always solved my problems by uninstalling/re-installing things, anything from the Processor to anything you can see in Device Manager. With XP you can do it. Reading all the forums about this, reinstalling would not have helped in any case.

David Smith Apr 30, 2005, 05:52pm EDT Report Abuse
It seems from looking at all the different setups here that there is only 1 common denominator - hardware controllers (whether that be SATA/IDE or RAID). Though formatting & using different OS's doesnt always fix the problem, bypassing or replacing the controllers does. What I still cant quite figure though is why simply reseating my IDE cable & rebooting fixed the problem? (though sometimes this has only been after 2-3 attempts?) Do the controllers have some sort of cache or memory that may be responsible?

Btw Ive not had 1 event 51 error since my last post a few weeks ago.

Moto Guzzi May 01, 2005, 07:12am EDT Report Abuse
>> OS & Subsystem/Chipset
What surprised me the most is the vast difference in everybody's hardware including MB's.

This is why I say Microsoft & Intel & the disk-manufacturers & motherboard-manufacturers should have a weeklong party at Bill Gate's estate to at least discuss this, cause I think even if the errors do'nt show there may be problems in the subsystem.

The longest it was away on my system after SP2 was 2 weeks, then suddenly out of the blue. I have a very good aircooled system, and could not couple this to Temp, or the way you switch the PC on, or PSU.

The longest it stayed away was with SP1 and after I disabled devices on IDE2.

****Don't forget Hyperthreading:If I disable hyperthreading in BIOS, it's gone too, but then the Processor runs at max temp all the way.

***Hypertreading:I have also noticed that some newer Dell PC's with HT has two ITAPI IDE controllers visible from Device Manager, while my PC shows only one...It is fully updated.

Keith Kelly May 02, 2005, 01:03pm EDT Report Abuse
There seems to be a common issue arising from this extremely long thread: early on-board SATA-RAID controllers appear to have some kind of hardware design defect.

I'm having the exact same problems (warnings/errors in event viewer about "error during paging operation" and "the device did not respond within the specified timeout period", etc). I have an MSI KT4 Ultra motherboard with on-board "Promise FastTrak 376" (PDC20376) SATA-RAID controller. I didn't have any problems until I bought my first SATA drive about 3 weeks ago and had to enabled the on-board SATA-RAID controller to hook it up. When I first started getting these errors, I thought the new drive was bad, so I bought another identical drive and now it too is giving the same problems. I've tried the drives in other computers and they don't yield these errors so I know the drives are fine.

I already tried adjusting every possible setting in the motherboard's BIOS relating to caching and timing, and trust me, no setting change(s) resolve the problem. I've also tried pulling every possible non-essential card/device from the system to free up IRQs. Oh, and I've reinstalled WinXP Pro about 6 different times throughout all of my troubleshooting as well. This is NOT simply a problem of having a BIOS value set wrong or having an IRQ conflict, and this is definitely NOT a software problem.

It's fishy that if you go to the Promis Technologies site (http://www.promise.com) you cannot find any mention of the "Promise FastTrack 376" or "20376" controller. No drivers, no product information, nothing, not even in their "archives". It appears that Promise would prefer to pretend like this product never existed. Just more supporting facts to suggest that there was some kind of horrible hardware design defect that the industry swept under the rug.

Even more interestingly, if you go to MSI's web site and check out the KT6 Delta mainboard, and compare it to the KT4 Ultra mainboard, it looks almost identical -- EXCEPT that they dropped the Promise SATA-RAID controller and instead replaced it with the VIA VT8237 SATA-RAID controller, and upgraded from the VIA KT400 to the KT600 chipset. And the subsequent marketing/press releases for the KT6 Delta board proclaim "VIA VT8237 -- SATA done right!" Again, more facts that suggest a huge hardware design defect with the first approach to onboard SATA-RAID.

I wish companies would simply level with customers when they make a mistake like this. I would much rather be given certain confirmation that the board I own has a hardware design defect (so I can know to just go buy a newer one) rather than spend literally tens of hours of my valuable personal free time struggling through lengthy trial-and-error processes just to independently arrive at the same conclusion.

So, I'm going to go buy a new motherboard today (I can't just get a PCI SATA-RAID controller card because I've already used all the PCI slots in my system), but I haven't decided between the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe or the MSI KT6 Delta. I'm strongly leaning toward the ASUS board simply due to my bad current experience with MSI's customer treatment and poor product quality... but then again, maybe they've ironed out the problems and the KT6 Delta is a fine board. I just don't know.

So, I would like to hear from anyone on this thread who has actually successfully gotten onboard SATA-RAID working successfully without these mysterious errors/problems. I would like to know what motherboard you are using and what on-board SATA-RAID controller it utilizes. I would also like to hear from anyone who has tried using SATA-RAID with either of the motherboards I'm considering buying.

Keith Kelly May 02, 2005, 01:10pm EDT Report Abuse
Oh, and one more thing... my drives are identical Seagate Barricude 200GB SATA drives, just purchased new within the last couple months.

I'm wondering if this problem is caused by the combination of certain newer drives with certain older SATA-RAID controllers... the entry a few posts back about "NCQ" seemed interesting.

Keith Kelly May 02, 2005, 01:13pm EDT Report Abuse
Hey, I seem to recall now (I'm at work so I can't verify at home) that there's an option in the driver for my on-board SATA-RAID controller for "disable tagged queueing", which sounds like the same thing as TCQ on Western Digital drives.

Maybe the problem is that older SATA-RAID controllers only support TCQ whereas the newer Seagate drives support NCQ, which is different? Maybe I just need to try checking that and see if that fixes things?

I'll try it tonight and post back.

Keith Kelly May 02, 2005, 01:27pm EDT Report Abuse
Here's the exact description of the two hard drives I'm using:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3200822AS 200GB 7200 RPM 8M Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

According to http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/seagate-7200.7ncq/index.x?pg=1, this drive supports neither NCQ (Native Command Queueing) nor TCQ (Tagged Command Queueing).

The WinXP driver for my onboard "Promise FastTrak 376" SATA-RAID controller has a checkbox option for "disable tagged queueing", and by default that box is NOT checked. I'm pretty convinced now that this has been the cause of my problems all along, and that all I need to do is go CHECK that option.

I'll try it tonight and post back, but in the meantime others should check their own configuration to see if this is maybe the cause.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.