Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1124 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 14 - 09:41pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows XP, 2000, 98 /

Windows XP PRO freezes on "Setup is starting Windows" text screen 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Ian Roberts Aug 02, 2010, 12:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Windows XP PRO freezes on "Setup is starting Windows" text screen
Hi All

Just registered to post my experiences with this problem; it may help someone.

I had been trying to perform a fresh install of XP Pro on an old computer into which I had placed a new (actually second-hand from Ebay) m/b of identical type to the m/bs in two other computers I have. (trying to standardise!). Every time I came up against the SETUP IS STARTING WINDOWS freeze.

It seems to me that there are many things which can cause this problem and it follows that there will be many different solutions.

I tried EVERYTHING to resolve this plus suggestions from other forums; nothing worked. In desperation and because I had just about run out of ideas I altered a jumper on the motherboard. Actually it is not a normal jumper but a switch (On and presumably Off). According to the m/b manual this is JP1 and it controls the system bus frequency. I moved it to the ON position and like magic, the boot process proceeded normally. The m/b manual mentions OPEN as setting the CPU clock to AUTO and CLOSE as setting the clock to 100MHz. I moved the switch to ON so I'm not sure if that is OPEN or CLOSE. (Motherboard is Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ and processor is AMD Athlone 1800+. It's an old cpu and I have long forgotten the spec/frequency etc).

Windows is now installing normally as I type this.

Hope this helps.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
michael thorpe Oct 11, 2010, 10:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I know this may not work for all but i've had the same problem recently with Windows Xp stoping at the setup screen "Windows is setting/starting up" the bit before you press F8 to agree and to select which HDD to install on.

This may sound odd, all i done was remove my m/board from the case and then i managed to install windows xp. (I can only guess that my m/board was shorting when on this process, i guess that the circuitry on the m/board is in use at this point)

zhang xiaoming Apr 23, 2011, 07:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 23, 2011, 07:50am EDT

I have same prob but it instead crashes and it dont have floppy drive.I also tried slipstreaming but it still crashes with 0x0000007b.I tried opening WINNT32.exe it prepares it to install and crashes after restart;and crashes after restart;and crashes after restart;and crashes after restart;and crashes after restart.

VICTOR VINCE Jul 19, 2011, 06:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Man, i have been reading all solutions but i think i should go back today and try the F5 trick. i will let you know the outcome. i have suffered for two weeks now and there isn't any solution yet.

vince

VICTOR VINCE Jul 21, 2011, 01:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
VICTOR VINCE said:
Man, i have been reading all solutions but i think i should go back today and try the F5 trick. i will let you know the outcome. i have suffered for two weeks now and there isn't any solution yet.

vince

I tried the F5 trick but the problem is that the problem has changed from freezing at the SETUP IS STARTING WINDOWS to Rebooting at that very spot without going to the partition part. and this is endless. Somebody help me pliz, i need to get this PC up and running.

john albrich Jul 21, 2011, 06:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Vince,

Was the system running OK before you tried to install Windows, or was there some problem that occurred earlier, and you thought reinstalling Windows would fix it? Then, when you tried to install Windows you ran into this problem?

What have you done to test your hardware? Have you tried running any self-booting (non-Windows) diagnostics like freeware UBCD?

Have you tried installing a different XP image (e.g. using someone else's CDs, or even a free Linux OS like Ubuntu)?

Justin Time Jul 31, 2011, 02:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just made a profile to say. Clayton. You are one magnificent son of a bitch. I'm naming my firstborn son after you. Seriously.

Let me describe my problem in hopes that future readers will gain valuable knowledge from it. My laptop is an old toshiba satellite. Not exactly sure of the model. Anywho one day after acting really funny it pooped out on me. Turns out it was a 0x24 blue screen of death error.

After a month of no internet and being fed up with it I decided to do something. Since I didn't have a windows xp cd(I use home edition by the way) I found a guide online on how to get the recovery console iso and put it on a cd. You have to do it a certain way, there are guides. Anywho I did the f5 trick and viola.

Do note though when running "chkdsk /r" without quotations, the percent went from about 70 back down to 50 and then climbed up again. This is normal. If it takes over a day though then there's a problem. Mine took about an hour or 2.

Anyways, enough rambling. I just signed up to thank Clayton. You rock bro. Even though you'll probably never even see this. :L Thank you.

zhang xiaoming Jul 31, 2011, 06:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You use sata?

Radu Rednic Aug 26, 2011, 07:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
try update bios, it helped me on windos7 and xp with the same problem
srry my english

Pepe Parada Aug 31, 2011, 03:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
clayton mertz said:
Man, i've had this problem soooo many times i think i'm gonna puke. Here is how I fixed it "THIS" time:
1. put in the cd and turn on computer
2. windows will load and say something about "press F6" to install raid controller drivers"
3. Start hitting F5 instead of F6!! ....
4. It gave me an option that said something like. .."standard PC i486"
5. POW, setup finished and finially went past that damn screen we all hate

Man, you rock!!
u totally solved my problem!!
Thx!

Frederick Lane Nov 16, 2011, 03:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
clayton mertz said:
Man, i've had this problem soooo many times i think i'm gonna puke. Here is how I fixed it "THIS" time:
1. put in the cd and turn on computer
2. windows will load and say something about "press F6" to install raid controller drivers"
3. Start hitting F5 instead of F6!! ....
4. It gave me an option that said something like. .."standard PC i486"
5. POW, setup finished and finially went past that damn screen we all hate

This fix is great and works fine.
:).Frederick D. Lane

ramgopal menaria Apr 14, 2012, 02:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i can install window xp after disable apci mode any other helpful try plz..... i need help argent..

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.