Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1470 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 29 - 12:57pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows XP, 2000, 98 /

Windows XP PRO freezes on "Setup is starting Windows" text screen 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Bruce Kim Jul 18, 2007, 10:57pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Windows XP PRO freezes on "Setup is starting Windows" text screen

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Bruce Kim Jul 18, 2007, 10:58pm EDT Report Abuse
guys don't sweat it any longer. I had the same problem and tried everything for many hours, and finally fixed. I simply disabled APIC in BIOS and voila, on the next reboot it worked. try it. you will know what i mean. happy computing you all

Todd Warren Aug 30, 2007, 10:51pm EDT Report Abuse
I thought I would throw this in the mix.....

I had a Sony Vaio laptop that was having the same issue. I removed the Netgear (aftermarket) wireless card and Windows XP Pro loaded without hanging.

n d Sep 18, 2007, 05:05am EDT Report Abuse
Hi all i had this problem with setup is starting windows and goes no further tryed the F5 trick and disabled APIC in BIOS but no joy,eventually i found a solution on microsofts website that the first thing to do was flash the bios with the latest version,so i did this and booom im back installed win xp pro and gaming again..... hope this helps anyone with the same problem.... ;)

Jim Wood Sep 28, 2007, 01:07am EDT Report Abuse
I got you beat on the amount of times you had to try different CD ROM drives and CDs! It took me 12 times to get Winblows XP Pro installed! I am glad I found this article because, it had me completely insane because, it kept freezing like that! I tried several CD ROM drives, changed the IDE cable, reset the CMOS jumper, finally out of frustration I went looking for an answer and then tried my winblows CD instead of my stepdad's. His CD would not completely install winblows. Mine however is. Whoever would have thought! Well, thanks for the info!

Russ Rupe Nov 29, 2007, 12:18pm EST Report Abuse
I had a working XP on a laptop (MSI 1013 ultralight with built in cruddy ATI Xpress 200 video), not a new install. It stopped working for reasons as yet unknown (probably due to the system hang I got when I was trying to delete/reinstall video drivers when the cruddy X200 was flaking out on me). When none of the boot menu options would boot (even last known good), I tried to boot into admin mode from the recovery CD when it stopped at "Setup is starting Windows".

After much tinkering and reading this thread, I disabled legacy USB and changed the wireless from "last state" to disabled in the BIOS. There were virtually no other optional settings in the BIOS (not sure why this BIOS is so limited). Not sure which of the above settings fixed it since I did both at the same time, but one of them did. Since then, I have re-enabled both and XP continues to work fine. I put in an Omega driver and all seems well so far (ATI installer says it doesn't support it, MSI doesn't list the driver either).

Thanks to everyone for all the ideas, especially the "change every BIOS settings" idea. When I did "load optimized" it didn't change any settings (guess I was already using the optimized set) so that didn't work. It needed to be manually toggled.

qw qw Jan 05, 2008, 08:07pm EST Report Abuse
>> "Setup is starting Windows" freeze SOLUTION !!!!!
This guy is the man ... he hit it right on the head.. did exactly what he said and im able to install now!!!

Roch King said:
Good work Clayton..... i just tried running the setup for every setting which comes up when u press F5.. and it worked with one of it.......hooraah!!!!!!

qw qw Jan 05, 2008, 08:09pm EST Report Abuse
>> "Setup is starting Windows" freeze SOLUTION
Here were the steps:

clayton mertz said:
Man, i've had this problem soooo many times i think i'm gonna puke. Here is how I fixed it "THIS" time:
1. put in the cd and turn on computer
2. windows will load and say something about "press F6" to install raid controller drivers"
3. Start hitting F5 instead of F6!! ....
4. It gave me an option that said something like. .."standard PC i486"
5. POW, setup finished and finially went past that damn screen we all hate

Danijel Devanoj Feb 19, 2008, 01:09pm EST Report Abuse
Hi, everyone.

Just as the rest of you, I had my share of "Setup is starting Windows" freezing, but for some reason it only happened with the installation of XP x64, not with the x32 version.

I have to give my sincerest thank you to Bob Ross who already back in 2004 posted his solution here on page 2 - taking out three of the four RAM kits and leaving only DIMM one filled.

Worked like a charm and XP x64 installed fine.

The problem is, in my case I don't know whether it is due to a bug in the OS installation process or a faulty RAM because I later discovered my MOBO doesn't work with this specific RAM manufacturer and had to change all four kits.

But if it wasn't the fault of the RAM, then there definitely is a pattern here and I think it is advisable to only have one RAM kit in when installing Windows and then subsequently plug in the others one by one, booting up between every new kit so that they can be updated successfully.

Hope this helps.

Again, big thank you to Bob. It would take me days to figure this one out if it hadn't been for him.

Cheers,

Danijel.

Chuck Sico Mar 10, 2008, 12:58pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi everybody, I guess I'm gonna join this wonderful thread. I'm trying to repair a laptop for a customer and I am getting this same problem. It's a Toshiba Satellite m45-s2693 When he gave me the machine, windows was messed up, it would boot but was so slow and had so much spyware I decided to just format.

So I either get an ACPI not compliant blue screen after windows setup is supposed to bring up the whole partition section...if I disable ACPI or select any of the other options in the F5 list, it just freezes at Setup is Starting Windows.

Once in a while, it will somehow get by this part on its own, it happened once or twice and it was able to format the drive, however it would reboot itself in the middle of copying files, then reboot and "setup is restarting" and it tries to copy the files again, reboots in an endless loop.

So when it did install partly, I took the drive out and put it in my PC, I then pasted my documents and settings and windows folders onto the drive, I used an FTP program so I could easily skip files that were already there. THIS ACTUALLY WORKED, the laptop booted into windows, detected all new hardware and seemed to work fine. Then I went to toshibas site and installed their ACPI drivers, rebooted. BLUE SCREEN, not acpi compliant! BUT IT JUST BOOTED WITH DEFAULT MICROSOFT ACPI DRIVERS, BUT CRASHED WITH TOSHIBAS.

So now I'm back to square one, I can't get windows setup to get by setup is starting windows again so I can repeat the process of copying my windows files to it. This method does not seem to work unless the XP setup did actually format your drive and begin to copy files.

EDIT: I went into the bios and disabled all the usb stuff, legacy etc. Windows is not copying files like normally, we will see if it completes. This is dumb because the system had no usb stuff installed.

EDIT2: Laptop turned itself off while I was typing in the product key...after it rebooted and restarted the setup it completed everything fine, windows is in 100% :) - So it was either the USB legacy stuff i disabled in the bios or the onboard LAN i disabled.

t baker Apr 14, 2008, 04:54am EDT Report Abuse
aaa

t baker Apr 14, 2008, 04:57am EDT Report Abuse
I don't know what to do, I have tried almost every solution mentioned...but I can't try 2 of them

for some reason, the F5 dosent work, when I hit F5, it dosen't do anything at all. Also, I can't seem to change my FSB at all.

ive pulled out every card, done the ACPI trick, formatted my drives, used different XP disks, pulled all but one RAM out.....

I can't flash my BIOS because I dont own a floppy drive, and honestly I can't afford to buy one

guys, I dont know what to do, i'm freaking out....

Biostar K8M800 mobo
Athlon XP 4400+ Dual x64
2gig ddr 667 ram

thank you

William Whispers Apr 15, 2008, 04:51pm EDT Report Abuse
I cannot express to you how frustrating this is. My computer died on April 3rd, I received my new parts on April 9th, but had to wait until the 14th for a new power supply to come in. So now, after over a week without a main computer, the hardware's in and functioning, when this happens. So I scoured Google for a while, coming across various solutions. My system details are as follows:

Biostar TA770 A2+ Motherboard
AMD Phenom 9550
2GB Corsair RAM
eVGA GeForce 9600GT512-OC
Rosewill 550W PSU

So far, I've attempted the following solutions, with the following results...

Solution 1: Disable USB support (Microsoft)
Result: No Change

Solution 2: Disable ACPI Power Management (Microsoft)
Result: System hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool Data", reboots repeatedly

Solution 3: Detach all nonessential components (Various)

Solution 4: Remove all but one stick of RAM

Solution 5: During startup of Windows installation, use F5 to select a different system type (Microsoft, Others)
Result: No options render any effect. Have tried all ACPI options as well as Standard PC

Solution 6: Use F7 to skip SCSI/RAID driver initialization (A Little Nerdy blog)
Result: Program does not respond, no change

Solution 7: Use different CD-ROM drive (Various)

Solution 8: Use different installation CD (Various)

Solution 9: Disable All Nonessential Integrated Peripherals.
Result: After finding out which would cripple the system even further, disabling all nonessentials rendered no change.

I'm rather at the end of my rope here. I may just have to go buy a new copy or something, with a couple of service packs and up-to-date files loaded on. If that doesn't do the job, I'm at an utter loss. Is there anything I'm overlooking here? Any solution that I've missed?

t baker Apr 15, 2008, 07:52pm EDT Report Abuse
im in the same boat as you man, tried all those things as well, still no change..

right now i have a big pile of scrap metal sitting in my room...

t baker Apr 15, 2008, 08:23pm EDT Report Abuse
OMG

no less than 3 mins after writing that did i get it to work!!!

a friend let me borrow a 6 year old CD r-w drive, and presto, works like a charm!!!!!

William Whispers Apr 16, 2008, 05:37pm EDT Report Abuse
I finally found my solution. 2 weeks to the day after my computer died, the new one is installing Windows. For those of you out there still having this problem, my solution was as follows. There is apparently a glitch in certain AMD quad-core processors, namely Phenoms and Opterons, the latter of which were pulled from shelves as a result. The BIOS update to support the quad-core CPUs went out to motherboard manufacturers just recently, mine was published on April 1st. Find your motherboard's latest BIOS software and flash it, then set the BIOS to Optimized Defaults.

It is easily the slowest format I have ever seen, but then again, it's the biggest hard drive I've ever formatted. I'm formatting with my dad's copy of Windows XP Home edition, and my own will be arriving tomorrow or the next day from Newegg. Is it possible to register the installation with the information that comes with my disk, or will I need to reformat and reinstall with my disk for it to work?

Leman Junior Apr 18, 2008, 12:15pm EDT Report Abuse
on my case it is hanging for more that 2 hrs. i tried all the ways. but no result.
the thing am wondering is that i can install vista and win98 or Me on the same system.
But it is makingproblem with Win XP home and pro only. there is no way to disable anything on the bios because the bios is a minimal one
the system is Packard bell. Easynote MV35-202
i dnt know how to get rid off it

Please help me on this !!!!!!!

john albrich Apr 18, 2008, 04:00pm EDT Report Abuse
Leman Junior said:
...i can install vista and win98 or Me on the same system.
But it is makingproblem with Win XP home and pro only....

It sounds like you've tried installing from at least 2 different WinXP discs, since you refer to both WinXP Pro and Home...so, that reduces the likelihood that it's an install disc problem. And of course, assuming you installed at least one of the other OS's from a CD, that tends to rule-out the CD/DVD drive and subsystem.

However, WinXP takes more memory and disk space while installing. It's possible that the installation is running into defective memory cells or corrupted sectors on the hard disk, whereas when installing the earlier Windows versions the OS wouldn't "run into" those defective areas.

Try installing with absolutely minimum hardware. If you have more than 1 stick of memory, remove them until only 1 stick of memory remains. If it doesn't work with that stick, try the next one, and so on.

You can also obtain some self-booting diagnostics and run memory, disk, and other system component diagnostics to see if there is a fundamental hardware problem.

Elijah Lucian Apr 20, 2008, 12:49am EDT Report Abuse
ok.. so im getting the same problem heres my story. i tried the f5 and it didnt work.. ill try the ram thing (taking all chips but one out) :edit: tried this, doesnt work...

So i just bought this HP laptop and it has vista 64 on it... im an audio producer and i cant get my soundcard to work on this new laptop tho... i need it for my shows.

so i decided to get xp64 and dual boot my computer...

here are the specs.

HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC
Bios: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 R 6.1
AMD Turion 64x2 @ 2.2 Ghz
4 GB ram
Geforce 8400M GS
Windows Vista Home Premium 64
Direct X 10

can anybody give me a heads up? maybe xp 64 wont be able to read this hardware.. its all pretty new.... any thoughts?

Leman Junior Apr 20, 2008, 07:58am EDT Report Abuse
Hi thanks for the replay and sorry for the delay to respond

I ran all the daignosis including memtest.. it passed all the diagnosis and the hardware looking pefectly ok. I used the partition magic pro to create and format the HDD. On hardware side there is no problem. The problem is that i cant disable any thing from the BIOS because it is not giving much options.

I am able to change date and time, shared memory, security options and boot sequence. thats all i found in my BIOS.

What have to do. I tried again yday and left the laptop for one night and it failed to passing the screen "setup is starting windows"

so now i am thinking to plugging the hdd to any other laptop and try to install OS on there and can replace it to mine. is it possible? there is a chance of BSD i think.

what is your opinion....

expecting your reply soon.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.