Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1832 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 05:57pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows XP, 2000, 98 /

Windows XP PRO freezes on "Setup is starting Windows" text screen 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Khoa Pham May 05, 2008, 08:33pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Windows XP PRO freezes on "Setup is starting Windows" text screen
hello im having a really annoying problem. My computer have been working fine.
Suddenly it just restart everytime it try to display the loading screen for window xp. The momment it start to come into this screen, it freeze for some seconds and then restart itself. it happens all the time.
I can boot into safe mode. I tried to change boot settings to basic (disabling everything)... still doesnt help.
And when i try to reinstall windows from a cd, it only get to the part where it says: Setup is starting windows... and then it reboot itself...
I dont know what to do. Please someone help me, i have a webdesign work need to be finished. I have everything backup, just need a windows.... And i have tried with 2 different CD's of win XP

edit: tm im gonna put in a new DVD ROM and lets see wat happens, my current ROM have been bugging up and down so maybe that is the cause...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dan Oliveira Jul 08, 2008, 09:18pm EDT Report Abuse
I've registered just to say this was very helpful while having the problem on a XP x64 installation.

I've tried hitting F5 and choosing each processor type options, the difference was that it didn't freeze at "setup is starting windows", but rebooted.

Then I took out mem kits leaving just one piece in the first slot, and sparing time loss I've also hit F5 and chose one of the processor options (matching my processor, 64bit uniprocessor).
WORKED LIKE A CHARM.

Thank you so much everyone that've put effort in this, hope the others will find a way if different then this, because this is really a pain in the nether lands.

\o/

Gary Banta Sep 05, 2008, 08:27pm EDT Report Abuse
Clayton had it right ... the F5 option worked like a champ. I have been a computer tech for years and have done probably hundreds of Windows installations .. Never had the problem before .... (but I usually don't buy a POS ECS board either). I never knew that option existed and doubted it when I read it. Anyway, I thank God and all the powers for forums like this that saved my ass and blood pressure in a time-crunch. Thankyou for posting. Upon booting... when it says hit F6 to load raid .. Hit F5!

mar sab Sep 15, 2008, 06:37pm EDT Report Abuse
t

mar sab Sep 15, 2008, 06:45pm EDT Report Abuse
HEY GUYS IF YOU HIT F5 WHEN ASKING FOR F6 THEN CHOOSE OPTION ACPI PC BY USING UP ARROW THEN WHEN SCREEN ,,SETUP IS STARTING WINDOW,,COMING WAIT AT LEAST 2 MINUTES THEN WHEN ASKING FOR ,,ASMS ,,FILE JUST TURN OFF THE COMPUTER FOR A COUPLE HOURS THEN WITH CD INSIDE /START AGAIN/THEN SHOULD WORK

bodo bodo Sep 18, 2008, 06:59pm EDT Report Abuse
Guys, the only way for me to install XP PRO was to install XP Home SP3. All the other solutions failed, but it was great to watch the topic that lasted 4 years.

Thank you for posting
Bogdan

01000001 0 Oct 12, 2008, 03:56pm EDT Report Abuse
f**kIN BAD ASS!!! I CANT BELIVE THIS TOPIC!!! 15+ YEARS AND I NEVER THOUGHT TO PUSH F5 OR ARROW UP FOR MORE OPTIONS???????????????????????????UNBELIVEABLE WEIRDs**t !!

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!:blush::_):blush::_):D:blush::_):D

I AM NOW A (Hardware Analysis) MEMBER FOR LIFE!!!:blush:

Rob DiMauro Oct 16, 2008, 03:27pm EDT Report Abuse
thanks so much man :D i was having a problem searched and found this on google. my computer would freeze in the setup is loading windows. i went in after reading your post on multi processing disabled multi processing and it got past that screen :D

BobZombiE M Dec 05, 2008, 05:40pm EST Report Abuse
I just signed up for replying.
Great work you did all.
After 2 days of wasting time , i find my solution
Problem:
i could not setup xp on Albatron kx18d pro II (nforce2 chipset)
just right in first step befor even blue screen of setup comes up , it stoped on "setup is initializing your hardware configuration ..."
my new HDD is Seagate 500G and the onboard sata chipset of motherboard is sil3112A
so insted of updating to the last bios of my motherboard
i just DOWNGRADE the bios to older versions !!!!!
and now everything is ok and windows installed without any problem
the problem was with newest version of 4.84 of Silicon image sil3112 included in the bios.
Old bios use version 2.1.12 of silicon image.

Deg Browett Dec 15, 2008, 07:17pm EST Report Abuse
Gary Banta said:
Clayton had it right ... the F5 option worked like a champ. I have been a computer tech for years and have done probably hundreds of Windows installations .. Never had the problem before .... (but I usually don't buy a POS ECS board either). I never knew that option existed and doubted it when I read it. Anyway, I thank God and all the powers for forums like this that saved my ass and blood pressure in a time-crunch. Thankyou for posting. Upon booting... when it says hit F6 to load raid .. Hit F5!

Deg Browett Dec 15, 2008, 07:20pm EST Report Abuse
just joined to say thanks, I have been a pc tech for donkeys years and never heard of the F5 trick.... and the list going UP !!! what nonsense......
Anyway it did the trick for me......
Is this the longest running "problem" with XP ????????

Thanks again.... merry christmas to one and all.....Deg.

andrew herman Dec 21, 2008, 05:52pm EST Report Abuse
Clayton is the man! I read this post after switching drives, changing bios and stressing all day... F5 fixed it all.... first shot and windows completed the setup! Clayton is the man.. if you don't know, know you know! Press F5 and save your money and time!

Doug Kranz Jan 12, 2009, 03:55pm EST Report Abuse
I have also tried the f5 key, with out luck.
I have a HP dv5000 laptop, I have tried one stick, two sticks, differnt sticks, differnt hard drives, and have the same issue, The CPU freezes at setup is starting windows.
I can just about load 98 on the pc, but can not load the disk from hp, (xp media home) xp pro or vista, or even windows 7. Any sugestions?
I can't update the bios, it only has an update for windows, not for dos....

arnold angelo vismanos Mar 18, 2009, 11:14am EDT Report Abuse
Good day to all of you! i have followed Mr. Thomas Burke's guide he posted in this forum, and it did help me resolved my installation problem. Now i have no headache at all finding solutions for this XP SETUP with F5 TRICK. BIG THANK'S Mr. Burke

Wveimar Lopez Mar 18, 2009, 11:46am EDT Report Abuse
Hi Khoa, your problem seems to be caused by memory faults. Try removing some memory modules if you can. You can also try probing other memory module you know it works well in other machine. I hope it helps.
:)

The Wurx May 29, 2009, 01:04am EDT Report Abuse
Well. I've had the exact same problem with my Laptop. 4 Different XP's freezes at the Setup blah blah screen. But then again, Ubuntu Linux installs and runs perfectly on the laptop.

Then, yesterday I stuck a IEEE 1394 Firewire port into my desktop and GUESS WHAT?

Xp started up, detected new hardware where it FROZE. After several attempts I stuck a XP cd in the dvd rom and booted.

It freezes every time when SETUP IS STARTING WINDOWS but goes past it when the card is removed.....

ime prezime Dec 09, 2009, 01:24pm EST Report Abuse
I had this problem when trying to reinstall win xp pro on HP NC6120 laptop. I had original HP OEM WIN XP CD, and none of solutions in previous posts worked for me. I spent several frustrating hours playing with all sort of options in BIOS, and removing memory modules etc. I was sure that CD worked cause i tried it in other computer. Finally i remembered that i fried serial port several months ago when connecting to one device, and after disabling it in BIOS, setup passed this screen and went further. No need messing around with F5 options. Hope this helps someone.

Hans Rohde Dec 11, 2009, 05:40am EST Report Abuse
just like to say thank you for posting the press f 5 key to install windows xp on a msi vr 705 laptop works now

trivit est Apr 01, 2010, 08:01pm EDT Report Abuse
I have an acer aspire 5102wlmi (aspire 5100 series). And it froze on the "Setup is starting Windows" text screen.

After looking everywhere for a solution and reading through this thread, another user with the same laptop in another forum suggested unplugging all peripherals one by one and trying to install after each unplug to isolate the problem. Turns out it was the webcam.

Link to other thread:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-s...ost2666913

How to unplug the webcam:
* Fully open the laptop so that the screen and the keyboard are at 180*.
* Remove the panel (with the power button) above the keyboard by prying it open with a flat screwdriver.
* Pop the keyboard out.
* Un-plug the connection that lies beneath the F11 key.

stephen idunknow Jun 23, 2010, 06:05pm EDT Report Abuse
hello, I believe I know how to fix everyone's problem. This is what I did..and i tried everything..this worked. I was installing windows xp home, on a Dell dimension c521. The Dell had no cd rom drive, so i had to install xp from a usb stick. i believe that was the beginning of my problem. If anyone else is havein this error while installing from usb the reason is most likely because of the method you used to put xp onto the stick.
goto this page http://wiki.eeeuser.com/windowsxpusb and use method 2.
then when the text mode of installation starts, and it says somthin at the bottom like, press f6 to intsall blsah blh, press the f5, and pick the first option standard ect...this worked for me after tryin everything. i think its because of The new method of putting the xp on the stick.

good luck:)

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.