Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1113 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 09:26am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>
jason senti Nov 08, 2004, 03:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
Thanks Paul for the response.

I would like to try and reinstall the bios, but am unsure how to do it when the screen is black. Do I just take the battery off of the motherboard for a short period of time (30 s) and then replace it? Looking for help. Thanks.

Also, to anyone else. If my inverter board is bad, shouldn't the video through the external monitor out or s-video out work? I know I can't use the s-video out without getting into windows, but shouldn't the monitor out work using the keyboard shortcut. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Jason

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
jason senti Nov 08, 2004, 03:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Paul for the response.

I would like to try and reinstall the bios, but am unsure how to do it when the screen is black. Do I just take the battery off of the motherboard for a short period of time (30 s) and then replace it? Looking for help. Thanks.

Also, to anyone else. If my inverter board is bad, shouldn't the video through the external monitor out or s-video out work? I know I can't use the s-video out without getting into windows, but shouldn't the monitor out work using the keyboard shortcut. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Jason

Paul Willis Nov 08, 2004, 05:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> black / very dim screen : no backlight
You will have to plug in an external monitor to see what you are doing.
Plug in the monitor then press the ALT key and FUNCTION 5 key at the same time. This will toggle through the monitor modes so if it doesn't work try again.

Dave Simmons Nov 09, 2004, 09:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 09, 2004, 09:47am EST

Hi all, I've been having the same problem with a Satellite 1110 but with one difference. Even when the display is working it is not recognised by the PC. anyone else have this problem? Maybe its something to do with the video bios?

machin Chouette Nov 10, 2004, 01:48am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks so much! It worked on my Satellite 3005/S304.
I followed Bob's advice, bought a new inverter card on eBay for dirt cheap, and there you go the screen lights up again.
The hardest thing was to realize that thre were indeed 4 screws holding the screen together.

jason senti Nov 10, 2004, 03:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Still Fighting with Satellite 2435-S255
Hi again.

Thanks again for the response Paul, but I have already tried an external monitor. No luck. I believe it may not be the display at all but a power issue instead. When I turn on the computer the fans start up for a few seconds, and the indictator leds for DC Power, Battery, and CD/Floppy light up (green). Nothing happens after that. I don't hear the hard drive run, and I can't turn it off without taking off the battery (and DC power). I read on another forum about the same problem with the Satellite Pro 6000. Someone had instructions to repair loose pins on the "power supply" connector on the board. Unfortunately, I can't identify anything on my board as the power supply. I would assume it to be near the fans, but all I can find is the heatsink for the pentium chip. On the 6000 the "power supply" he refers to is underneath the left mouse button. There is nothing located there on the 2435. There is another difference too, because some people mentioned unscrewing and reseating the video card on the 6000. On the 2435, I can't identify a removable video card. I can see the nVidia GForce chip, but no separate video card. I have built several computers and consider myself quite savvy, but it is different with a laptop. The entire computer is designed to fit on one small board, so each laptop model can vary greatly and there is very little flexibilty for upgrades/repairs. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them. I am comfortable with surface-mount soldering and any other technique that may be necessary.

Thanks,

Jason

J N Nov 13, 2004, 07:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Everyone,

I have a different problem with Satellite Pro 4600, but I saw your post and think I have the answer. By huge coincidence, I got a letter in the mail yesterday from Toshiba. Here is the gist :

They are extending the warranty on : Satellite Pro 4600, Tecra 8100, Satellite 1805-S177, 1805-S208, 1805-S278, 1800-S274, 1805-S207, 1805-S154, 1805-S255, 1800-S256, 1800-S206, 1800-S254, 1800-S204, 1805-S274, 1805-S254, 1805-S204, 1805-S273, 1805, 1800-S253, 1800-S203, 1805-S253, 1805-S203. Man! I'm sick of typing 1805...

Heres the deal about the fading and eventually black screen. The LCD FL Inverter is going dead or has died. You have up to May 4,2006 to get it repaired. If you send it to Toshiba and they confirm this is the problem, it will be repaired for free. If this isn't the problem, they will ask for authorization to fix it at your cost. You can call 1-866-232-1644 or go to http://www.LCDFLInverterAdmin.com for details of the program.

If you have already paid to have the issue repaired, they will refund your money!

Unfortunately, this isn't my problem. I hope this is the answer to yours. If anyone needs more information about the mail I received, I'll be happy to answer them. Just post here and I will get notified.

Bob Pfeiffer Nov 13, 2004, 10:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I Got the letter today, lets see if they fix the laptops of all of us who have been living with and trying to fix it for years. Will be sending mine back soon.
Still do not recommend toshiba to friends, junk, buy anything else. I checked out the connections, cad plated, any quality co would have used gold. Just remember one of my old posts, guess who gave all the secerts for quiet subs to the Soviet union??????????????????????????????

BOB

mcdonald king Nov 15, 2004, 06:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 15, 2004, 06:57pm EST

i have both satellite 1200 and 3000, both got the same problem as described, dim, blank. i am sure they are the inverter problem. i tried to email toshiba, they just say not covered and need to pay.........wat can i do.........

jason senti Nov 16, 2004, 10:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Satellite 2435
Hey again.

Yeah, I sympathize. I won't be covered either, as I own a Satellite 2435-S255. As I mentioned, I don't think my problem is the inverter, though. Well, that isn't the only problem anyway. Mine doesn't seem to boot up. It is tough to tell (the screen is blank), but I only hear the fan come on for a matter of seconds, and I don't hear any hard-drive activity. I am unable to open the DVD-ROM drive, even when the power lights are on. I am also unable to shut off the computer without taking off the battery. I am still under the assumption that I have a power problem. I am still hoping that someone could shed some light on the subject. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

Frenk Boltong Nov 23, 2004, 02:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the great posting.

I also seem up a creek Ive got a 1005 S157. I will call the number and see if I can pester them into fixing mine, however I will probuly end up trying it my self. In case they let me I will post again.

T Niiler Nov 27, 2004, 10:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Display problem with Toshiba Satellite 1410-S173
I have a very strange and intermittant problem with my Active Matrix TFT screen.

Just this morning it started to flicker quite severely. I immediately assumed that it was going bad. So I broke out the blank CDRs and started backing up data. As soon as I began to backup data, the flickering stopped. After using the laptop some more, the flickering restarted. Acting on a hunch, I put in a music CD, and started playing it, and the flickering stopped!!!

I've had this laptop for a year and a half, and it's worked quite well and never exhibited any such symptoms before.

Has anyone else seen this? It seems to me that some kind of interference is going on, but I can't see what as I have not installed any new drivers. It is also possible that there is some external interference as well, but I have not found it yet.

I'm not afraid of opening up the laptop if I need to. I have fixed other laptops this way simply by reseating parts.

Thanks in advance for any clues you may have.
T. Niiler

VectorLinux 4.3
Kernel 2.6.7scsi
KDE3.3.0
nvidia proprietary driver on XFree86-4.3

paul douse Nov 30, 2004, 10:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the same problem on a 2800 series,followed bob's instructions and hey - presto, like new, for now. Many thanks.. Please note, you do not need to remove the screws on the sides of the screen casing, and keep touching the metal hinge to stop static build up, especially in a home environment. Good luck.

Robert Mikulak Dec 03, 2004, 01:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the same problem with the screen going black when using the AC power adapter with my Satellite Pro 4600. Display was fine when running off the battery or using an external monitor. Based on the posts above I concluded that the problem most likely was a faulty FL inverter. I followed the advice posted by JN on November 13, which links to a website (http://www.LCDFLInverterAdmin.com) that spells out how to get the inverter replaced without charge. Doesn't matter whether the warranty has run out or not. (Mine has.)

Took the laptop to the local Toshiba authorized repair shop and they fixed it within a couple hours at no cost. (In contrast to the post from September 11, my experience in this case with Richards Computers in Fairfax, Virginia was very good.)

Hugh Grant Dec 06, 2004, 12:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Perhpas you did not have a problem at Richard's Computer's of Virginia because they did not try to charge you $190.00 to fix your computer, and instead fixed it for free.

Lee Walker Dec 12, 2004, 10:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I would like to publicly thank Bob Pfeiffer very much for his posting of Dec 16, 2003 re. fixing flickering LCD screens by cleaning the contact connections of the inverter. I have a 2 yr. old Toshiba Satellite 1115-S103 with the same problem. I was able to get the display to light by pushing on the lower frame of the LCD. Tonight I followed Bobís advice and I removed the inverter connection plug. I carefully sprayed Craig Laboratories Pure Gold contact cleaner & protector into the female plug. I installed and removed the plug a couple of times. I waited a half-hour to be sure all the cleaner evaporated before turning on the computer. The LCD lit up immediately with no flicker and no pushing on the frame. Thanks again Bob for helping all of us with this problem

Peter Hawkes Dec 14, 2004, 06:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Many thanks to Bob Pfeiffer for his fix on 16th December 2003. I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800 and suffered from the display backlight not coming on for more than 2 seconds. My retailer (PC World in UK) had sold me a 3 year warranty which I bought on the basis of it being on-site. It turned out that for laptops they insisted on taking them back to their workshops and would not do on-site. (Why do we buy anti-virus software and firewalls if retailers expect us to just give our laptops to a complete stranger to do what they want whenever we get a problem - sorry, I'll get off my soap box). Anyway, after refusing to let my laptop out of my hands I thought I would try to get some expert advice from the internet. Well I got it and here I am. Bob's description of the problem and how to fix it was brilliant and the step by step process was easy to follow and I did the whole job in a little over 10 minutes! With the care that Bob advises, it is an easy job for even a complete notice. Let's face it, if your screen does not work, surely at the end of it the worst will be it still won't work! Oh, by the way my screen is now working fine - thanks again Bob!

Richard Sherman Dec 18, 2004, 12:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A year ago Bob Peiffer posted a fix for Toshiba display problems that it is still valid and is obviously being appreciated by more and more people! I add my thanks for his fix on 16th December 2003. I have a Toshiba 1800 that was having exactly the same problems -- display would black out but could be momentarily revived by twiggling the lid closure switch. I followed Bob's directions for reseating the inverter connections and so far it has worked great (1 day so far). I can add one bit of advice, though, for others with my model. There are several screws along the edge of the display that LOOK like they have to be removed, but they don't -- Bob's instructions to remove just the two in the lower right and left corner of the inside of the display are correct. Also, I found it easier (after struggling for awhile) to remove the bezel by working on it with the display open and lifting the bezel upward as you go around the frame of the display.

Again thanks, Bob.

Bart Smilde Dec 18, 2004, 03:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 18, 2004, 03:43pm EST

And yet another thanks to Bob Pfeiffer, for his great post about reseating the plugs.
I received a laptop with a similar problem (a satellite 1800), and tried everything I could think of, then realized that perhaps the backlight of the laptop was not functioning.
In my mind I had already considered it beyond repair (or at least, financially uninteresting to repair) when I stumbled on this thread.
I tried reseating, and lo and behold, it works!!!!!
Thanks once again, I had already told the owner (an uncle of mine) that his screen was likely not going to work again, and that he just had to use an external monitor, it sure was fun to tell him I "fiddled with it" and got it working. :)

Seb Adams Dec 21, 2004, 02:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I need to check the screen inverter on my Tosh Satellite 1955 range.

Any ideas how to detatch the screen. The top of the screen unclips, though I cannot figure out how to get ot the screws at the bottom horizontal, either side of the Toshiba logo !

Any ideas ?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.