Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 963 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 20 - 11:02pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>
Bob Pfeiffer Jan 07, 2005, 10:30am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
I would hope Toshiba checked this, but go to control panel, power options, alarms and check the settings for the alarms, make sure thery are set below 10 % with critical alarm set at 3-5%, check the actions, make sure the first alarm is not set to shutdown or hibernate. The critical alarm should be set for hibernate, so you will not lose any open work. As far as the display, if resetting the conectors on the inverter did not work, you can go to control panel, administrative tools, device drivers and delete the lcd driver, it will reinstall on bootup and see if this helps. Also can you see anything on the screen, ie very dim display?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Roberto Sbuelz Jan 07, 2005, 11:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Bob,
I've tried your suggestions, but the display is still as black as hell, non even a single pixel slightly alighted.
It's a HW problem, isn't it?
Ciao

Bob Pfeiffer Jan 07, 2005, 05:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just another thought, try "alt" "F5" on many laptops this toggles the lcd on and off.

Roberto Sbuelz Jan 10, 2005, 02:48am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah, sure.
Of course I've used a CRT plugged on VGA port to apply the settings about monitor & power properties. The keys I've used to toggle between the screens are Fn+F5 and Alt+F5. Pitch black. If it is a fluorescent lamp failure, I'd see a shadow of an image if the LSD is under a neon light, wouldn't I?

Salty Pig Jan 11, 2005, 12:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba TE2100 fixed
First off many thanks to Bob Pfeiffer for his fix posted in this thread on 16th December 2003.

Just a bit of background on my situation I am probably the 4th owner of a Toshiba Tecra TE2100 laptop. I bought it off a friend who bought it off an acquaintance who bought it refurbished. I had been using it for a week and the LCD was working fine. A couple of days ago I decided to use the laptop on the floor and had to bend the screen back to see better. BIG MISTAKE! The next thing I knew my screen started to flicker. I shut off the computer, turned it back on and the screen worked for about 5 minutes and then back to flickering. I've used IBM and Dell laptops before this and have always pushed the screen as far back as possible (almost 180 degrees) and never had this problem. I doubt I will ever buy another Toshiba laptop again I'd rather pay the extra money for the Dell.

The instructions posted by Bob seems to apply to many Toshiba models. I am an accountant with all thumbs and had a bit of trouble removing the bezel and plus it is a different model but once I got that off it took 2 minutes to detach the invertor and resit the two connectors. Since doing that it has been working for 2 hours straight without flicker. Hopefully it will last. I am crossing my fingers.

The next time it flickers I will try the spray.

Thanks again to Bob and thanks to hardwareanalysis.com for this wonderful and insightful board.

Fernando Sanchez Jan 11, 2005, 05:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello.

I've just discovered this forum today. This is my experience with a Satellite 1800 I bought 4 years ago, the screen worked fine since one year ago when my screen became dark after a long while working, I solved it by updating the bios (I don't remember if I changed the bios setup). One month ago the screen became almost dark when booting (sometimes just booting and others after a little) it could be solved by rebooting a few times since one day it didn't work any more. I changed the bios setup (I'm not sure what I did exactly) and it worked OK for some days (as it seemed OK I installed linux and dropped windows) but the the problem is back again.

I've read the Toshiba on-line supoort, they say a problem with the Satellite screens has benn reported in America but not in Europe the situation is different, I've phoned the technical support and they tellme to take it to them and I will have to pay even if I don't agree with what they find.

I'm not very skillful but I'm afraid I'm going to try the inverter solution. Can someone tell me where I can buy it in Europe?

Bob Pfeiffer Jan 11, 2005, 09:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Fernando

Go back to the first page and try my fix first. Inverters are available for us $55 to about us $100. If you look at my earlier post you will find the part number, just do a search on it and you will find a reseller other than toshiba, who will be much less expensive.

Bob

Sal Cal Jan 12, 2005, 10:23am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Have a Toshiba satellite Pro 4360, top of the line. Has the same blankety-blank problem. The "Pfieffer fix" works for approx 100-200 hrs operating time before blanking returns. Found that once it starts and gets progressively worse I can get it to stay bright by fully opening the screen to 180 degrees. Of course the whole machine must now be held upright vertically for viewing. Leads me to suspect that somehow the strain on the inverter cable and connector has something to do with the problem. Will try bonding or securing the cable and connector in a fixed position next time I pull the bezel for reconnecting and spray cleaning the white mini-connector.
I wonder how many manhours have been wasted by Toshiba owners trying to solve this problem? .

Fernando Sanchez Jan 12, 2005, 07:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I haven't had the courage for trying Bob Peiffer's solution yet, but I tried opening the screen to 180 degrees, it dind't work at first, but after rebooting it did! I closed the screen and rebooted again and it is still working now, after a couple of hours.

I'm posting this not because I think this is a solution but maybe it can be useful to understand what the problem is (or the problems are).

Gene Casel Feb 01, 2005, 04:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba 1115-S103 and tried Bob's fix. Thanks, Bob! It worked for several months then I had to do the fix over. This lasted a month. The third time lasted a week and the fourth lasted two days! Some posts had people using a connector cleaner. I will try that next. I used electrical tape to secure the connector to the inverter and put a small piece of electrical tape to the back of the connector to try and get a tighter fit to the inverter but that did not seem to work. Will a new inverter help make a tighter fit for that connector since that is what gets loose?

Bob Pfeiffer Feb 01, 2005, 07:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I do not think a new inverter will fix the problem. The sockets are in the cable connectors, the inverter has the pins. So if anything is getting loose it would be the sockets

Chris Christopher Feb 09, 2005, 03:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ho There,

This is the most informative thread I found for SP4600.
I have an SP4600..

I opened it up a couple of days ago and put it back together.

Now the status led lights at the front edge of the laptop won't light up, neither will the led lights where it says Toshiba satellite pro 4600 under the display.

The Caps lock, function key and numberpad key lights up though.

[1] Any idea which connector / wires I might have pulled out.
[2] Any instructions on getting to the DC power jack, I think its loose and needs re-soldering
[3] Need to replace the right break hinge. any instructions?

Thanks,
Chris

ozgur ozer Feb 16, 2005, 10:22am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have another issue on my Satellite 5105 s701. After I use it for a short time, or when I move it, some pink,green and white dots appear on the screen. And it starts to crash :) It takes some time to freeze completely. But when I press the right side off the keyboard (vga card is here) firmly with the palm of my hand, it comes bak.I just have to refresh the screen to clean the dots. I opened the case and plug out-plugin the vga card. But it seems to solve my problem for a short time. It gets worse everyday. And I definitely dont want to take it to the Toshiba service and pay something like 750$ for a motherboard replacement.
Has anybody happened to experience a problem like this?

Karite ranen Feb 19, 2005, 12:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Months ago I soldered the right side wires directly onto the inverter board. But the backlight of the display still goes dim every few weeks. I don't bother to open the bezel anymore, I get the display back on by pressing firmly on the bezel where inverter board is (+ alt-F5 to switch on display). I suspect that some bad component soldering on the board causes the problem, not the connectors.

Karite ranen Feb 19, 2005, 12:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry for typo...meant to say (+ Fn-F5 to switch on display).

April Garcia Mar 10, 2005, 11:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba Tecra 8100. I'm having the FL Inverter problem symptoms. I didn't mind it at first becaue it always works properly once I tap the pin thing. But yesterday, it just went black. I can hook up through a desktop monitor and the display works properly. The laptop screen is illuminated by a brightlight or say a flashlight, I can see dimly the display.

I did the reseating of inverter, but nothing happened. It's still the same. I saw the post about going to a TASP(?) to repair it for free. The convesation with the bloody service provider (TriCom Dynamics Inc.) went like this:

Me: I read from http://www.lcdflinverteradmin.com that TASP will repair for free if the problem is the inverter. Is this true?

TriCom Staff: Only for Sattelite Series.

Me: But it says here that Tecra 8100 Personal Computers are considered.

TriCom Staff: (pause, rustle of papers can be heard) What's your part number?

Me: Of the inverter? or the laptop?

TriCom Staff: Laptop.

Me: PT 810A? Is this it?

TriCom Staff: We only repair #PT 810L Tecra 8100 series. I have a list here.

When she arrogantly said "I have a list", to read between the lines she meant "Don't argue." I was really taken aback since I was talking politely and sincerely. Of course, when she said she had a list, I couldn't argue back. So I said my thanks and went to check the net again. I already e-mailed the flinverteradmin to ask if it's only 810L because the phrase "Tecra 8100 Personal Computers" was apparently mis... um...stated(?). You think the staff is telling the truth or just trying to circumvent the repair for free thing? (It's kind of common here to do so.)

I'm going to try the contact cleaner next. I so hope this'll work so I don't have to contact TriCom again. I don't like the way they handle customer service. I asked about the price for brake hinges and was told "Who told you need brake hinges?" Me: "Research" Them: "Well, we don't give the prices. You'll have to go here and have your laptop checked with our technician. Fee is 750.00. WE'LL tell you if it's brake hinges."

Karlene A. Lock Mar 11, 2005, 09:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Two days ago I went to Google and typed in "Toshiba Satellite Backlight" and found this thread. I was amazed needless to say. I have been having the dim/no screen problem on my Satellite Pro 4200 for months! Ran into a good hardware techie that said "Backlite problem." Like some say, works sometimes on battery and with an external monitor, but not plugged in. I read near the end about the software solution, from super to bright, and wonder of wonders it worked...at least for two days now. But, I still have to do the tap tapping Fn F5 in the mornings at start up to get the screen on. When the problem began months ago, one of the local experts suggested reasonably that given the age of the computer, it would be time to replace it. Not so easy with my budget. Anyway, thank you all for the willingness to agonize through and offer help. Very, very much appreciated.

Mike Wund Mar 16, 2005, 03:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey, reseating it seemed to work at least for now! It has only been 30 minutes, but prior to re-seating, it would only last 20 seconds, if that.

I was ready to add this laptop to the unuseable heap of old desktops we have, but now it looks like our company can squeeze a little more life out of it. Thanks for posting this!

Rene Schrikdraad Mar 24, 2005, 08:51am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 24, 2005, 08:53am EST

Hey there everybody on this lovely forum!
I found this thread via google because of a screenproblem with my Toshiba SP4600.
The discussion is all about broken inverters which is very interesting, but not the solution for my problem.
Some people came up with another problem: broken vertical lines on the screen.
So is my problem.
It started a couple of months ago with one single line missing. This I could live with, but after a while it started to annoy me and opened the plastic casing to see if I could find a broken connection. I allready knew that squeezing the screen a bit solved the problem temporary.

After opening I found out that the problem lays in bad connections between the screen and the plastic bended 'seal-wire'. Trying to fix this worked for a sec and then I totally screwed up and created a missing vertical line of about 1 cm. f**k me!

So, it became clear to me..this is prblem which is unsolveable.
I found out the screen is made by SAMSUNG and in my computer the typenr is LTN141X7-L06.
With this information I started the big search for screen-resellers. (I didn't even think of contacting Toshiba, after reading the horrible stories about that companies custumercare..).
In first instance I tried laptop-repair companies, hoping they might have a secondhand screen laying around, but my hope ended very soon.
Then I found this company called "fairpriceshop" who sells it! Brand new even.
So, I ordered it for about 280 dollar.

I arrived today but they sent me a crossref-typenr. The brand is unkown, but it fits and the screwing points and molexconnections are the same. So I installed it, turned on my machine and YES! It worked again.
The fun however lasted for about 50seconds. Then my screen went dim and I heard the inverter making a sissing sound...damn..!...I immediatly turned off the power and waited for a couple of minutes.
Then I re-installed my old screen and that worked us it did before. Thank god, my inverter wasn't fried..

I am now in contact with fairpriceshop about this.

I am writing this here, to warn everybody that you have to WATCH OUT WITH CROSS_REFERENCED SCREENS!!!!!!

When I know more about this issue I will get back here.

Anibal Royero Mar 31, 2005, 07:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi there,

I also hv a Toshiba Satellite 5105-s607. It is three years old. And since last week im having problems with my screen. It started to show lines in different colours and sometimes the screen becomes black and others time the laptop is restarted. Also, it generates a Blue Screen saying that the nv_dsp driver is in infinite loop, and it indicates a hardware or drivers problem.

I'hv tried all the postings... I opened my laptop, i cleaned the dust accumulated in the fan, I unplug and plagin all connectors I found, I check the invertor, clean everything, FORMAT, RE-Install. Update drives for Nvidia Card, Update BIOS and nothing works.... Am I missing something? Is my video card faulty?

I posted some pictures at

http://spaces.msn.com/members/aroyero/

Then go to pictures and choose "Toshiba Screen Issue"

I appreciate any help!

Thanks

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.