Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1241 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 09:56am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>
Sal Cal Mar 31, 2005, 08:54am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
Reseating the inverter connector was only a temporary fix for screen blanking. The blanking returns after a period of time. Tried securing the connector with Loc-Tite and this seemed to work for a while but the blanking soon returned. The blanking had progressed to the point the screen goes black immediately after the Toshiba logo appears upon boot up. After trial and error I have found what works for me, at least for a few hours of stable operation. Simply: open the laptop screen the full 180 degrees, reset the screen interlock switch (the small button) and simultaneously Rap sharply with fingertips below the screen on the inverter area.
I DO NOT advise everyone doing this, but, it works for me for at least a few hours of uninterupted operation. I 'm sure the inverter is going to blow someday, but so what.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
ozgur ozer Mar 31, 2005, 09:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For The Ones with the vertical line problem :

I have a 5105-s701. And I had that vertical colorful lines, Blue screens, all that thing... I tried every connector, every cable in my laptop.
And it's solved with a video card replacement. Possibly, there were tiny cracks on the VGA cards chips caused by high temperatures. And (possibly again) reason for high temperatures was my forced VGA drivers.
For 1 year or so, I was using the latest Nvidia driver (for keystone, rotation etc.) which is said to be not compatible with Gforce440 go. But I forced it and it always worked perfectly. There was just one glitch. Heat. My laptop was always a little more hot than usual. I didn't care. And one night, when I was playing HL2 for a few hours, problems started. Now I'm still using the same driver. But I mind keeping my toshy cooler. Same advice for all...

Anibal Royero Mar 31, 2005, 05:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi

ozgur ozer, where did u buy the video card? and how much did u paid for it? Do u know any tool to test the video card and other devices? I used memt32 to test the memory and it is fine. I would like to do the same with the video card.

Thanks a lot

@R

ozgur ozer Apr 01, 2005, 02:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I found the card from a technical service from here in Turkey. It was from a 5105 which had a broken lcd..
I gave 375$ for it. Its obviously too high. You can find it cheaper on Ebay...
I don't know any specific software to test the card. But if the anomaly occurs more on 3d games and high temps, if the status changes by pressing on the left side of your notebook with your palm, its highly possible the same problem.

Thaju Salam Apr 09, 2005, 07:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If your screen goes dark intermittently (due to a manufacuring defect with the FL inverter) Toshiba will repair it free of charge, including shiiping, however old your laptop is. Go to http://www.lcdflinverteradmin.com

The warranty expires on May 6th. So be quick. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlView.jsp?s...&CN=10

I hope that ends this chain!!!

Cj Loretz Apr 10, 2005, 10:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've read nearly every post here in this thread but I'm not sure what to do for my problem. Today I just bought a Satellite P35 S611 at Best Buy, I got home, took it out and plugged it in. It was working great for about 30 minutes and I was sitting here doing something on my desktop when something caught my peripheral vision. The screen on my toshiba flashed white. Now it has been bright white, you can make out the icons and such a little bit but it looks as though the contrast has dissapeared. I tried brightness settings, and couldn't find a contrast setting anywhere. It looks fine on my external LCD screen.

I've tried reverting to factory settings with the reboot cd to refresh the drivers, but it didn't work.

Most of the other posts refer to a problem after a few years, I just bought this thing a few hours ago and have been sitting here trying to troubleshoot it on my own. If anyone has seen this before, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Colin Loretz

Brent Beach Apr 11, 2005, 12:41am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you have read all the things people have tried, some of which work and some of which do not, I think the only possible response is to head back to the store and get your money back.

We are all trying to work through this because our laptops are out of warranty!

Brent

Ben Buchanan Apr 21, 2005, 07:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have been having the problem of screen flicking on and off for a very long time on my SP4600. I discovered (before i found this discussion) that by removing the small panel at the top of the keyboard which has satellite pro 4600 written on it the problem is lessened (still happens occasionally and I plan to open up the screen tomorrow and have a look inside to see whats in there). I also have the problem with a line down my screen that has been getting progressively bigger and noticed the problem with the power cord and the screen flicker problem. Seems like all these problems are linked somehow. Overheating is also a major problem especially if you leave it on all the time like I do.

Also a recent problem that has surfaced for me is that my computer locks up at random intervals. It doesn't happen as long as I am doing something but the minute i get up for a second it freezes and the only way to get it going again is to switch it off and back on again. I have since installed a temperature monitor http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ and have been ensuring that it doesn't get too hot and this seems to lessening the problem.

Just thought I would let everyone know just in case they are having the same problems. I don't think we will ever find a true long term fix for these problems, except to get a new laptop.

Thaju Salam Apr 23, 2005, 04:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Read my post from April 10, 2005!

Kenneth Leavell Apr 30, 2005, 11:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 30, 2005, 11:42am EDT

>> Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 won't run on the battery
Hello,

My apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I have recently purchased a 4600 that will not power up when the AC adaptor is not plugged in. When the AC adaptor is connected, the laptop powers up and runs fine.
The battery indicator does nothing but blink and the battery always indicates only 3% charged regardless of how long the unit is plugged into the AC.
I have replaced the battery with a known good one just to be certain it was not the battery. Same condition.

I previously had a 4300 Series laptop that did the same thing and the problem with it was a blown fuse.
This may be the same thing but I do not know where the fuse might be located on this laptop.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Ken Leavell

Brent Beach May 01, 2005, 09:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Satellite 1110 has had the faint display problem for some time. The various solutions seemed to have worked temporarily. Lately I have noticed that the problem appears to be heat related. If the room is warmer than somewhere around 22C/72F the display is faint. If the room is cooler, it is on.

It does not matter how warm the body of the laptop gets (from just being turned on) as long as the lid is open the top/screen seems to remain cool enough to work. Does this mean the thermal problem/sensor is in the lid?

Brent

Tony Piraino Jun 25, 2005, 02:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks, Bob, for the detailed instructions for addressing this problem with Toshiba's notebook backlight function!

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1115, which had the same problem (display works -you can faintly see it - but no backlight). I used your procedure with great success. The inverter on my model is located just below the display but only has one connector (white plastic, two conductor, with a white and a pink wire attached to it). This connector was inserted, but not completely seated. A little nudge was all it required to make a tigh connection and that was all I needed to do. The backlight function now works perfectly. I also followed the suggestion to give the connector a little more play by freeing the 2 wires from where they tuck under the right-hand hinge. I suspect that the repeated opening and closing of the laptop's cover eventually pinches these wires between the hinge plate and the lid and I believe that is what puts tension on these wires. Not a lot, but just enough to loosen their connection to the inverter.

A word of caution and a suggested refinement to your procedure: The Satellite 1115 has 4 round plastic "screw-hole" covers (with the adhesive backing). For the Toshiba Pro 4600 you described only two adhesive "squares". Removing the top two screws allows the bezel to be removed, but once the bezel is off, I recommend re-inserting and loosely tightening these top 2 screws. This is because these screws attach both the TFT display panel and the backlight panel (and the metal frame that surrounds them) to threaded anchor points on the inside of the plastic lid "cover". Without those top screws in place, the TFT panel and backlight panel can separate from the plastic cover and that puts stress on the threaded anchor points on the bottom. Not realizing this, I allowed the panels to separate from the cover and broke off one of those lower threaded anchors. Not a disaster, but avoidable with a little care.

I would also echo your recommendation regarding the care needed in separating the bezel from the plastic cover. Gentle pressure, a knife blade, followed by a broad blade screwdriver are all that's needed to remove the bezel. The areas around the 2 hinges also require some special attention as the bezel edge is tucked behind the plastic hinge cover in 4 places there (both sides of each hinge cover).

Finally, be sure to compress and completely re-attach the bezel in the area of the cover latches and cover release "slide". If not, the latching mechanism will bind and not operate properly.

Good luck to everyone. From my reading, there are a lot of folks experiencing this problem with Toshiba laptops. The Toshiba web site was not at all helpful in diagnosing this relatively simple problem, so I am certainly happy I found this forum.

Thanks, again, Bob!

Tony Piraino - posted on June 25, 2005

Jack Sedane Jun 28, 2005, 09:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I was in the process of cleaning up my cousin's Toshiba Satellite laptop of spyware, malware and such, when one day I turn on the laptop and the image is very very dim, almost unreadable. This happened out of nowhere, and it is dark 24/7, there's no "flashing then going dim". I checked the inverter connections and they are fine. My sister happens to be another "lucky" toshiba satellite owner so I checked the inverter by switching it to her laptop. The inverter is 100% fine. I even went as far as opening up the LCD, but everything looks intact in there. I read all the posts in this thread and tried most of the procedures, but nothing seems to work. The laptop works fine with a CRT hooked up to it. I don't know the exact model but the laptop is only 11 months old so I don't think the backlight lightbulb going bad is a possibility.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

nemeios rodriguez Jul 22, 2005, 07:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi
my toshiba satellite 1800-100 seems to have this problem since yesterday.
However things are going fast grace to this forum and TOSHIBA
It is a problem known by them and they offer to repear the laptop by free even if the warranty finished two years ago (I talked to Tohiba France).

See:

http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/gene...NVERTER_EU

The risk is that if I send it to their support center and they say that it is not that problem I will have to pay.
I am gonna try, I am almost sure that it is the inverter problem and I hope they are honest.

sheila c Jul 24, 2005, 03:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A45 and i'm having a problem with the screen. A white bar about 2 inches thick goes vertically down my screen from top to bottom on the right hand side. It covers everything underneath such as hte clock and the task bar icons. I have changed screen resolutions but I don't believe that it is a ratio problem since when I printscreen my desktop and paste it into word i can see my complete desktop perfectly. It is just on the monitor itself that I cannot see underneath the white bar. Can anyone tell me what kind of problem I have and how I can fix it?

Thanks!

sdfgsdfg sdfgsdfg Aug 05, 2005, 08:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> How to SOLVE Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
Hi there!
I had the same problem, always Display on/off. It's the inverter board just below the LCD.
You can solve the problem very cheaply by taking the inverter board out. Blow a lot of contact-spray onto the inverter board (really a lot) and let it dry...
Then build in the inverter board again in your notebook. That's it.

I did this 6 month ago and never had any problem any more :-)
Michael

David Gillard Aug 14, 2005, 03:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
non Hardware Fix for Toshiba Laptops Backlight Problem:

hold down the grey Fn key bottom left of keyboard and then hit F1. (the grey LOCK symbol)

this shuts down the screen and resets the problem with the backlight.

hit ENTER and the screen should fire up once again.

repeat as often as your screen goes black on you!

This has worked for years on my Tecra 8100, which will go black intermittently...

dgmachine

Joel B Aug 16, 2005, 02:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
THANK YOU BOB!

My wife has a Toshiba Satellite 3005- S303 that is a about 4 years old and sees only periodic use. I got the grey screen of terror and a quick search online only brought up LCD sales sites, etc, etc. I was pretty bummed at my apparently pricy options and was ready to toss the thing. As I went looking for the secret button combination to switch output to the external monitor, I ran across this post and in less time than it takes to excitedly retell the story, I was back in business. WHOO HOO! Thank you, thank you.

I will add that I too had a total of 4 stickers concealing screws. So, if the bezel doesn't easily pop up, check under all of the little round bumps on the bezel for any hidden screws. Other than that, Bob, your instructions are a God-send!

Joel

Ayrton S Aug 18, 2005, 02:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 18, 2005, 02:13pm EDT

Here's a problem which has shown up in the last couple of days (this thread will run & run!).

My son has a Toshiba Sattelite - not sure which model. As of a few days ago, following power-up, when the Toshiba ad and Windows loading logo show up (briefly) as normal, the screen then goes completely dark, with text & graphics just barely visible - in some lights it is possible to see the icons/ pointer and perform a re-start, but the problem persists.

I've read the thread and Bob etc's helpful posts re ballasts and pin connections. Although the symptoms are similar, I've got a strong feeling that this is a software problem as the Toshiba ad and Windows loading logo show up (briefly) as normal, brightly, following power up. We've tried the external/internal screen thing (Alt/F5) without success, and I don't think it's a password issue as we can operate the thing with difficulty in certain light conditions.

Any ideas out there? All advice gratefully received.

Ayrton

Ed Daniel Aug 18, 2005, 02:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba Sattelite 1905-S277, which as worked great since I bought it. The screen went blank about 4 days ago. I could see the faint image of items on the screen, so I figured, no problem, the display cable is loose, as is a common event on many laptops. Once inside, everything looked OK, so I attached it to an external monitor to get my work done. Finding this site and a couple of others, I was convinced it was the inverter card . . based on what I read, this is a known problem for a number of Toshiba Models, to the extent that Toshiba extended their warranty for 18 months on the affected models and also offered to reimburse if repairs and paid for were made during the extended warranty.

I then checked pricing on the part via web search, chose to buy it from a computer part supplier on ebay. It arrived in two days and I am happy to report all is fine!

One note on pulling the cables: The ribbbon cables are secured by an amber cellophane tape, which needs to be peeled back before pulling the cable.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.