Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1329 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 12 - 10:27pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>
William Grissom Sep 17, 2005, 06:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
I had a similar problem with my Toshiba Satellite 1805. If I flicked the tiny top closure switch, the light came back on. For ~ 6 months it happened only once a week and a single flick of the switch fixed it, then it got so bad it would often go off again in a few seconds. It seemed the microswitch contacts were corroded, so I pried off the top keyboard cover and sprayed electronic contact cleaner on the switch (under metal lever). That seemed to work, although I had to shoot it again a few days later. If it recurs, I may take it apart and solder around the switch since I never leave the PC running with the top closed. Of course, it may be a loose connector too, like others have mentioned.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Todd Hollander Oct 21, 2005, 11:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba Satellite A15 with a dim display problem. It flickers at bootup until BIOS, then goes extremely dim. It works fine when connected to a CRT monitor.

I have read the posts in this thread and done all of the following:

- determined that the inverter is not the problem (tested the inverter in another machine and it worked fine)
- cleaned the connectors and reseated them
- removed the display and checked the connections (no problems)
- deleted and reinstalled the display driver

I am in need of further advice about what may be causing the problem and how to fix it.

Many thanks,
Todd

Ed Daniel Oct 21, 2005, 11:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Could need a new flourscent lamp, the procedure for disassembling the panel is pretty tricky.

Sandra Gomes Nov 06, 2005, 02:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,
First I have to thanks all, and especialy Bob, because this thread as helped me a lot. I Have a Satellite Pro 4600 and fortunally pluging and unpluging the inversor conectors has resolved my problem.

But now I have another problem with the display. I've read all of this again, but nothing could help.

Last month I had serious problems with my keyboard. So, I bought a used one on ebay. It arrived on Friday and, has I didn't know that i just needed to remove the small part where its writen the model, and remove 2 screws to change it. I just opened all my laptop for the first time. In the process of opening it I loose a couple of things that I think I connected back to its place.

I turned on the laptop and wonderfull, I hada a working keyboard! Everithing looked fine. But Yesterday while I was watching a movie I started to notice that the image wasn't ok. It's getting worse as time goes by. Everithing seems to be shaking, its very hard to read, and on the right hand I have a black stripe that started to be a third of an inch but is growing and now its almost 2 inches. The stripe doesn't cover nothing. The screen area is just getting thiner and the image seems squized.

I've opened the laptop again but I canęt find whats wrong.

Great, While I've been writing. I stoped shaking. Now I can't see some letters. It's like if the display had several thin vertical lines and they just disapeared to give space to the black stripe on the right that is getting biger.

Can someone help me?

Many Thanks,

Sandra

Ps: To ilustrate beter: the 'M' for Many that i wrote.I just can see it like a 'V'.

Tom Rod Nov 10, 2005, 12:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After taking the inverter board out every few days and reseating it I noticed how hot the plastic cover over the inverter board was actually getting. My thoughts were this was a flaw in the design and it's a heat problem.

Here's what I did and for the last month I have finally had no problems.

I took the cover off, carefully cut away a section of the plastic panel that sits directly over the inverter board.

Now the heat escapes. Yes this exposes a circuit board and may look ugly but so what, the machine is useless without the display.

I just gotta be carefully to not let it get wet.

Hope this helps others.

Tom

Ed Lambert Nov 23, 2005, 09:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite 1800
Thank you Bob (Dec 16, 2003) for your tip on removing the display bezel, cleaning and reseating the connectors on the inverter PCB. So far it has been on a couple of hours with no loss of backlight. I noticed the plastic cover AND scotch tape holding it around the board. What's up with that? I can't believe Toshiba would allow something like that out of their factory(!!).

jaso daka Nov 24, 2005, 04:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re:Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
The screen of my toshiba satellite 1400 flickers and starts getting black on the lower bottom corners. This happens for a few seconds and then it stops flickering and then it starts flickering again. Does any one know what could be causing this?

Michael Lyons Dec 24, 2005, 03:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i also have a Toshiba satellite 1800-s203 it was having the display problems with the back light turning off but i did what was told above to seat the connectors and it fixed it for about two mouths everything was working fine then now when i press the power button on my laptop the power light comes on but the computer will not turn on i check with vga nothing. Nothing turns on just the light i press the cd-rom button to see if it open to see if its getting power nothing. I then wait for like 5 secs nothing. What i do then is unplug the power and battery and plug it all in again and still nothing i do this again 5 times and then sometimes the laptop will turn on very frustrating . Has anybody been having the same problem?

Kari Martin Dec 29, 2005, 07:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> I have the same problem with my Compaq Presario R3000. Can someone walk me through it?
Hi all,

Thanks so much for this very informative thread!

I have the same backlight problem that is mentioned here. The only problem is, I don't have a Toshiba, so I don't know where to find the connectors on my laptop. I have a Compaq Presario R3000. If anyone could explain where these things are in my laptop, walk me through it or know where there are pictures, I would be so grateful!

Thanks!

Dan Hadad Jan 21, 2006, 11:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba 1805-S254 and it has a display-related problem that I believe IS NOT inverter-related.

I've been reading this thread for some months now and had the laptop's inverter replaced via the Toshiba free replacement last year.

Here are the symptoms:
-- display won't consistently work when booting, even with external monitor.
-- I've set external display option (Fn-F5) so that both display should receive video signal. Whenever one works, both work. The problem is they don't always work.
-- The backlight works but usually after booting I have to hit Fn-F5.
-- I can get the video signal to work by using a trick from this thread: Fn-F1, then Enter. This works 50% of the time. Sometimes I have to hit Fn-F5 to first see the backlight come on, then Fn-F1, then enter.

I've tried BIOS settings (brightness, cooling method) to no avail. I've upgraded the BIOS to the latest, v2.1.

Right now I've got the LCD display completely disconnected (invertor and video signal) and am trying to debug using only the external display. This way if I can get it working consistently with external then I'll worry about the LCD one.

Any suggestions? Is there a good thread for my problem like this one?

Thanks,

Dan

Bob Pfeiffer Jan 22, 2006, 07:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This will not fix your problem, but the next time your LCD display works hook up a monitor and right click your desktop got to settings, right click the second monitor and see if you get a second display. the 1800-s208 did support 2 monitors. If you do not disconnect the second monitor the pc should see it every time you boot. My 1800 died, will only work if put in the freezer or used outside in 32 f or lower temp's. Installed speedfan and found the cpu thinks it is running at 178 f all the time. Junked the toshiba, now have a HP pavilon zd7000 and a Dell inspirion.

One other idea goto admin tools, device manager delete video your driver and let windows find it on the next boot up and reinstall it.. If that does not alow it to boot at all use F8 on boot up and chose "last known good ........".

Good luck but the reinstall of the video drivers may help

Dan Hadad Jan 23, 2006, 10:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Problem is I formatted the drive so windows is no more. I'm debugging the display alone first-- trying to see if it's a BIOS problem.

Bob Williams Feb 08, 2006, 03:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yesterday, before trashing our then-dead Toshiba Satellite Pro A75, I decided to completely disassemble and reassemble it to see if I could find anything. BTW, while still under warranty it spent over 2 months at Toshiba Repair having most major parts replaced, only to screw up again soon after it was returned and just out of warranty...

While completing the reassembly and getting ready to replace the long, thin covering panel just behind the top of the keyboard, I looked to find the corresponding switch on the main board underneath the display shutoff switch that is supposed to be activated when you close the lid. Low and behold, the thin, plastic cylinder that acts as the on/off mechanism was stuck in the down, or screen off position. After using a Swiss Army laptop repair tool to coax the plastic cylinder up out of the switch, it became apparent that whatever springing mechanism that had ever existed on this very fragile plastic switch was no longer working correctly.

Warning - Not officially or unofficially recommended, and yes, I know that it is a ham-handed repair - Since the thin, plastic cylinder didn't work anymore, I snapped it off so it would no longer fall into the switch and remain in the down position. A few minutes later, I was quite surprised when the system came up normally and has been working fine ever since. Maybe it will die again soon, but I'll remain optimistic that it won't since an obvious cause of display blackout has been addressed. Maybe I can now find a better quality spring switch without having to buy a system board..., and reseating all the system connections including the processor in some way brought the system back to life again.

Hope this helps.

Ayrton S Feb 10, 2006, 06:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I feel I should add a bit here, plus I'm drunk and have a little time to type ;-)

I posted a query (page 10 of this thread) re the perennial dead screen problem on my son's Satellite Pro, and got some helpful responses. Lo and behold, some weeks later my own Tosh SP (SPA40?) exhibited exactly the same symptoms - namely briefly visible logo on start-up, then black screen-of-death once running, with icons & desktop vaguely visible if viewed at an angle etc. i.e. still running without display.

This situation continued for three or 4 days in my son's case, and for 3 or 4 power-ups in mine, then completely vanished and both machines went back to normal and have remained so (knock wood) since. Yes, we had tried the Fn/f5 screen options fix.

What I'm saying here, is I believe that there is a possible software conflict/ bug which can cause terminal display problems, in addition to the hardware probs listed by all the good folk above.

Does this make sense?

Cheers

Ayrton

Sylvia Shearan Feb 11, 2006, 03:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This is a great thread but I'm still having problems.

I've gone from a black screen to having a white (lit) screen but still no display?? I presume this can't now be a backlight problem. Can anyone suggest anything.

cheers

Sylvia

paul douse Feb 14, 2006, 08:34am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
just an update. i have been using the standard fix, unplug unverter and refit for a year now, but problem keeps getting worse, ie shorter intervals between darkness!
last time i did it i carefully sprayed the computer plugs and inverter connections with switch cleaner, NOT WD40 or PJ1, waited until dry and the re-assembled. one week later and all's well, touch wood!!
let me know if anyone else has had success with this
PD xx

Craig Zeltsar Feb 24, 2006, 09:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have been reading the discussion and it is great advice. I have a Compaq R3000 Presario Laptop and my screen went dim (you can see it faintly or with a flashlight). The tapping on the hibernate button worked for a day, and then I took it apart (not to find the inverter). Coincidently, it worked for about 3 hours and then went dark. The tapping no longer worked. I gained access to the inverter, reseated it and checked connections, but it doesn't work. I have found the part, but before I order it wanted to be sure (or as sure as possible) that it is the inverter. The screen is very dim and I am working on an external monitor now. When the laptop screen is also "on" I was hearing a noise, almost like the computer was processing or a current (a crinkling noise), and was wondering if this sounded familiar. Please advise... just don't want to buy the inverter if that isn't the problem. They are around $90 for this model. Thanks! Craig

Edmond Chow Mar 10, 2006, 11:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've also had most, if not all of the same problems as other posters. I have been looking for a new computer for the last three months.

Three days ago, I started opening up the computer so that the screen was at a 135 degree angle to the keyboard instead of the regular 90-100 degree angle that I used to have it at.

So far, so good! I've read a lot about cables and maybe this workaround allows the LCD screen and/or inverter cables to make better contact somehow! :))

Edmond

Myles Jarvis Mar 14, 2006, 04:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite 1110
Hey everyone.
I too am having the same problem as everyone else here. Screen flickers for a second and then goes dark.
I just got off the phone with Toshiba and guess what they said? They cannot find a record of this problem with their laptops. After reading around on the internet, I expected that reply though.
I am very disappointed in their customer support for this issue.

Ray Shieh Mar 19, 2006, 02:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Satellite 1805 have same problem; after try on few different area, I found the problem are from inverter; the function of inverter are generating high voltage (few hundread volt) for power up fluorescent lamp; Toshiba have very poor/marginal design on inverter; when it use for a while, the dirt condense (high voltage will attract polarize partical and cause leakage), the inverter will easy to get into self protection mode; that why I can toggle the switch (that detect the lip close/open) to turn on light for few second then it go dark again (back to self protection mode).
The way I did, I disconnect the cables (becareful, don't break them), took out inverter PCB, use Q-tip with acetone to clean PCB, and use clean and dry Q-tip to clean one more time, during the process, make sure your fingers do not touch and metal traces, otherwise they will cause another leakage. Let it dry for 5~10 minutes, then re-instal.
After I clean it, my LCD can light up normally for about month, than I need to clean them again, maybe my laptop are too old.
Hope it can help someone.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.