Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1232 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 08:22pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>
ian wells Jan 09, 2004, 05:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
Hi there. just a update i reinstalled the lid and it hasn't droped out as yet. with the connector sugestion above is it the one that plugs into the invertor or is it in the bottom half of the unit with the cpu hard drive?
i have only moved the one that is pluged into the invertor pcb directly below the lcd display which i noticed can move sligtly. i seem to remember ther is only one screw holding it in

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Bob Pfeiffer Jan 09, 2004, 06:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ian
The inverter board has 2 connectors, I reseated both of them, did not open the main case or reseat any connectors inside there

John richards Jan 09, 2004, 09:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a different problem my machine won't turn on.....when I press the power button the ON Icon comes on but no bootup? anyone have this.....also I think I have a bad power in connection when I wiggle the cable the power light goes on and off.....

Bob Pfeiffer Jan 10, 2004, 06:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
John

First a question, does the hard drive light come on when you turn the computer on.
Second if it does you may be booting and having a display problem. If it does it shoud do a few things blink stay on steady and have times of no activity.
Second something to try, if you can find a windows 98 bootup floppy, put it in the drive and turn the pc on, see if anything happens. Let me know what happens and we will try to go from here. A litle info I am a MicroSoft certified professional in win 2000 and server 2000.

KEVIN MACHUGA Jan 13, 2004, 04:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
One of my employees has a slightly different model Toshiba Satellite (not even sure which) that was having display problems. However, it started out a little different that what you guys have described here.

With this laptop, the back light did come on, but the display was almost "foggy" looking, if that makes any sense--the display was just hazy white light (almost liquid like) over a black background. . Like everyone else, it would work fine when plugged into a monitor, but unlike the previous posts, you could not make out any discernable video display at all. I thought the screen was probably toasted, but I figured I would check into things online.

I'll try to keep this brief. Basically, opened the case and tried a few things of my own, none of which accomplished anything. Then, I got here to this site, and started reading your helpful posts (thanks people!). I had pretty much given up, but when I read that Bob fixed his by actually taking the display (or screen) itself apart, I figured I would poke around in there. Keep in mind, most people described the problem as a dim, but barely visible display, which was different from the problem I was having, so I was skeptical.

I opened the display (slightly different the procedure mentioned in the previous post, since my laptop is different, but close enough), and reseated two cables. One was a ribbon cable coming from the computer case itself (actually taped to the back of the display). The other was a red/white wire connector that went into the inverter Bob has described earlier (a little green circuit board held in by one screw). This is the interesting part. When I turned the laptop back on, the problem had changed to the exact same problem everyone is describing! Barely visible Windows XP running with no back light. Weird! Somewhat encouraged, I figured I would try it again, only leave it unplugged longer. About 1 min later, I plugged everything back in, and I had a display.

One word of warning: It wasn't until I put everything back together that I realize that the display looked a little "grainy". I won't go into too much detail trying to describe it, but there are a few spots where it looks like there is a thin line going through the screen that shouldn't be there. In other words, it did not fix mine 100%. This could be a simple matter of a short in one of the wires, or my failing to reseat it the connectors all the way. In all honesty, you have to look fairly hard to see it, and it really doesn't effect the laptop's operation at all, so I wasn't going to worry about it for now. If the problem is a short, at least I have a starting point if there is another problem in the future. It it's a failing piece of hardware, then I just bought myself some more time and will worry about when it breaks again. My money is on a short or improper seating, since that seemed to fix just about everyone else's problem.

Good luck to anyone else with the same problem. This is obviously a huge engineering SNAFU, since I've seen the problem has spread across multiple generations of laptops.

Thanks to everyone who has posted. Your information really helped, so I felt obligated to return the favor and describe my situation. Feel free to contact me at kevinmachuga@hotmail.com with any questions. I will keep the forum informed if there is any change in the problem!

Thanks!

Kev

KEVIN MACHUGA Jan 13, 2004, 04:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Quick follow up...

I mentioned in my post that the display did not appear 100% fixed after reseating the cables.

This was my mistake. The lines I saw were actually on the background picture itself (idiot!). In other words, as of now, the display seems 100% fine.

Thanks,

Kev

Seek Matter Jan 16, 2004, 06:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey all. Thanks for posting. Im learning quite a bit. I need to change the video card in my Satellite a-15. Does anyone know how and if it is pretty simple or what. any feed back would be great

André Fagerlid Jan 17, 2004, 07:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 19, 2004, 02:11pm EST

Toshiba satellite pro 4600, dim screen problem ++
Thank you so much for this thread, and most of all, for the solutions you have given people like me.However, I have an additional problem, occassionally the letters/graphics get smeared all over the screen when scrolling. In addition the borders of some graphics start "undulating" almost like a small stripe of a television picture with no reception. The mouse pointer changes to a group of dots wich are not centered around the pointer, and thus makes navigation extremely frustrating, so far it seems this problem might be a cooling issue since it operates normally when I shut it down for a while and restart. On the subject of shutting down, when the screen goes all funny and smeared shutting down does not always work even if I use the ALT+F4 method.
I have downloaded the latest firmware from Toshiba etc.etc. but it did not help.
Seems to me that Toshiba has created some very sick puppies in their SP4600 series without offering the support and solutions the consumers should expect in such a costly product.
(please exuse bad spelling and bad English, I'm Norwegian)

Edit: I have now performed the operation as described in this thread, and so far so good. The connectors did not even seem to be loose, but I applied som pressure to it anyway and now everything is rock stable. Thank you once again for providing a solution to this increasingly frustrating problem.

André

enrique liao Jan 19, 2004, 10:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Im Enrique Liao From Panama City. I have a Toshiba 1800 with the same problem..
I did everthing trying to fix the problem.
Thank a lot guys to write about the inverter .. that explain everythingˇ
i goin to do the process today ..
I hope works for me...
sory about englis my language is spanish.. but i do any thing to give to you my gratitude.
one question: the inverter prob. is only for toshibas laptop or is for any laptop?

Bob Pfeiffer Jan 20, 2004, 09:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Enrique
This is Bob. I wrote the fix for the toshiba 1800 problem. I do not know how other laptops are built, but they all have to have an inverter to provide power to the light behind the display. I would suspect most would be located in the display module of your lap top. If you can see a dim display, without a light behind it, you have inverter problems.
Other models may have different ways to open the display, but i think if you look carefully at the display module it will be apparent how to open it, just look for areas where screws are located, maybe covered with tape. I think most will open as in my previous instructions.
The inverters will have power from the base and will have wires leading to the LCD. As in my previous instructions, no matter what brand, try reseating (remove and replace) the connectors on the inverter, before buying a new inverter

Bob
Hope this helps

Bob

enrique liao Jan 21, 2004, 01:37am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
bob

mi laptop is ok! thank again!
24 h an have no problems with the display...

i have a friend, she have an IBM thinkpad with a display problem... the screen goin dak and blue.
but if you move the lid nearly to close .the screen goin to normal... May I think that the converter is the cause of this problem?

p.d.
Sorry if I do many questions. I dont know to much
my win xp is in english.. I whould like to change to spanish (all the system) how can I do this?

enrique liao Jan 21, 2004, 01:42am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
bob

sorry i trying to say inverter not converter...

Bob Pfeiffer Jan 21, 2004, 11:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Enrique

I have not worked on an IBM think pad, but the problem sure sounds like a bad connection on the inverter board. As far as changing the language, I have not done this, but, if you go to the control panel, regional and language settings. Chose language, details, settings, add and select your language. I do not know if it will do what you want, but you can try it. I will check with some of my friends this weekend and see if they know more
Bob

tyio tyio Jan 24, 2004, 12:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Fixed my satellite 1800 today!

Hi Bob ,

First of all let me thank you for your post describing how to reseat the inverter's connectors.

I hesitated a few days before doing it but then it got worst and worst. Now the display doesn't go blank anymore (at least since 2 hours.. it used to go blank every 5 seconds before.. which almost drove me crazy sometimes). I took some pictures which I'll post later for all the toshiba satellite owners.

denvech venten Jan 25, 2004, 07:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
BOB,

YOU ROCK.
It is people like bob that are interested in spreading the wealth of knowledge to the rest of the community that give frustrated husbands of more frustrated wives hope that maybe, just maybe, they won't need to dump more of their hard earned salary into yet another money pit of computer technology equipment.

Financially frustrated individual with a broken laptop needing fixed by a wanting wife.

max carr Feb 04, 2004, 10:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Firstly thanks for all the info.
I have a Toshiba Satellite 2800-200 with a pretty bad display problem. It has flickering white horisontal lines, like a CFT monitor when a mobile fone goes off near it, only lots, lots worse. I've reseated the connectors and it seems a bit better but does this sound like the screen is on it's way out? Any ideas??

Bob Pfeiffer Feb 05, 2004, 06:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Max
Try This
First be sure you have the windows installation software for your computer, and back up any valuable files
go to
Control Panel
administrative tools
computer management
device manager
display adaptors
and delete the display adapter
then reboot, this should reload the display adapter
If it was corrupt this should fix it. When I was trying to fix my 1800, i uninstalled this many times and it always reinstalled it self on bootup. But as in my earlier post reseating the inverter fixed the problem, However your problem does not seem to be inverter related, the inverter provides power for the light behind the lcd display. You could have problem with your video card, I do not think it is seperate from the mother board, but you could follow cables and see.

Bob

Sharon Rafferty Feb 10, 2004, 09:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same display problem with my Satelite 4000 CDT. I will try what Bob did but have another question. The battery is not charging, most likely need a new one, will this affect the display? Using AC power a monitor hooked up to the laptop works fine.

Bob Pfeiffer Feb 10, 2004, 06:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sharon
If your battery does not charge, your laptop will not run on the battery. Afew questions, how old is your battery, do you have access to a volt meter to check if the charger is providing the correct output, it will be on the charger.
If your battery is 2 years old or more, about 500 charges, it may well be bad.
Do not buy it from toshiba. Check it's model number, do a search on the i'net, and you will be able to save at least %50. I just replaced my battery, and all is fine.

Bob

Bob Pfeiffer Feb 10, 2004, 08:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sharon

I did not read your post correctly, A laptop with a bad inverter, will drive an external monitor just fine, the external monitor is being driven by the video card, the inverter is not used, it is only to light the LCD display. Try the reseat fix. But even with a bad inverter you should be able to see a dim display, may not be able to read it but if you look carefully something should be there.

If reseating the connectors, ie unplug and replug, does not work, you can find inverters on the net, and my procedure should allow anyone to chang it themselves, just be sure to follow the anti static part of the instructions, so you do not damage the new card or more.
Bob

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.