Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1126 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 20 - 05:38am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>
Myles Jarvis Mar 20, 2006, 11:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 1110
I don't mean to sound completely stupid here but you don't know unless you ask right? Is the inverter located in LCD casing or in the main body of the laptop?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Mark Fearn Mar 27, 2006, 03:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
I have tried all that has been said so far, but nothing seemed to work.
I have basically a similar problem to everyone else on here... I have a Toshiba 4270 (the one with the brightness dial)..
I changed the screen to another one which I bought off of eBay as the original one had a few dead pixels.
The new one I bought just came up white and wouldnt do anything.
Thinking I had bought the wrong type of screen, I bought another one...
This basically did nothing.. the laptop boots up but nothing happens to the screen.. I have since tried the other 2 screens I have (the original and the white screen) and they now dont seem to do anything.
I have tried a few differenet inverters and still nothing.

I have hooked it up to my pc monitor and everything works ok with the laptop..
I just dont get it... lol
Any ideas anyone?? please????

Rene Claiborne Apr 04, 2006, 11:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same/similar problem (dark screen) with M35X S149. After reading through this forum I tried the reseating of the ribbon cable on the back of the LCD. As soon as I touched it (after removing the tape intended to keep it in place) it came out. At this point I became confident that this could be the root of my problem. Sure enough once I seated firmly my screen cam back to life Thanks to all for your contribution to the post. Without it I am not sure I would have ever found it.

Thanks

Jen Sloan Apr 13, 2006, 11:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've got an 1805-S204 and had the same problem - the backlight for the display screen wouldn't turn on. I took it to Best Buy (I have an extended-extended warranty...this laptop is 4.5 years old...) and they sent it out and replaced the inverter. I remember something a few years back where there was some class action suit against Toshiba because of this problem. Seems pretty common among Toshibas - is it this common on other brands as well?

Joske Vermeulen Apr 14, 2006, 02:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey guys

talking about those toshiba laptops. I have a toshiba satellite 1400 with the same display dim problem. Changing the inverter should work I think, but I have another question.
On most laptops there is a litle pin (most of the time above the keyboard) which is used to tell the system if the cover is closed or open. (when you close the cover, it pushes on the pin and the laptop will go in stanby mode)
On my toshiba satellite 1400 there isn't such a pin. Or maybe there is one, but I can't find it.
Does anybody knows where the pin/sensor is situated on a satellite 1400?
Thank you

Peter Oosterhoff May 05, 2006, 06:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just want to let you know that the suggestion of Armando Maldonado on July 24, 2004 WORKED GREAT and is very simple. It took me less than 10 minutes to solve the problem of the screen going dim on my Satellite Pro 4600. That problem grew worser and worser over the months. My screen was active for 1 second and then dimmed. The Toshiba repair center in The Netherlands (IMD) said it needed a new motherboard after replacing the inverterboard first (no success). Then I found the suggestion of Armando! Works great for already several weeks now.

Mary McKay May 09, 2006, 10:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a different display problem with my Toshiba 1800 that I ran into last night...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to upgrade my hard drive from the 15 gig that came with it to a 40 gig. The new one is also a Toshiba and is brand new. After installing the new hard drive and turning on the computer, I got no display at all, just a black screen. Even when hooked up to an external monitor I got nothing. So, I took the hard drive out (at a friends suggestion) and turned it on with no hard drive at all and got a display with a message saying "Insert book disk. Press any key" So, I tried putting the new hard drive back in and turning on with the Windows XP install disk - no display. I tried the original system restore disk - no display. Finally, I put the old hard drive back in thinking I would take it to a shop to install the new hard drive and just use the old hard drive until then. Well, I got a display, but the computer does not recognize that the hard drive is there. What should I do? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Graham Force Jul 10, 2006, 04:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just want to add a reply to this long thread....

---->>>> Thanks Carl Tongueman <<<<------

If you are here trying to figure out why your Toshiba screen keeps going black (ie the inverter appears to be malfunctioning)
Please go back to page 8 of this thread and read Carl Tongueman's solution. It is a software fix and takes all of 20 seconds. If you don't have the Toshiba Console, you can download it from Toshiba's website
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/down...ion=search
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/13841/?o=140

The "other" solution (Bob Pfeiffer's) is as others have noted, a temporary fix. All you actually have to do is unplug and reconnect your inverter and it will work fine for a couple of weeks. But then the problem will come back again. OK I have only been running Carl's for a week but this was after the backlight kept going off every 30 seconds, and without disturbing the screen bezel.
I had already replaced the inverter with a brand new one, guess what that worked for a month before the same problem returned.
I was about to sell it back on Ebay... I will keep it now
Satellite S1800-814

thanks !!!

Graham Force Jul 15, 2006, 05:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
OK I have to retract that last statement as the dreaded black screen of death returned. Aw shucks ! eBay it is then !!

Andres Kurt Jul 25, 2006, 03:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> The same problem ....with a Toshiba Tecra 8100
...thank you for your experience and for your comments. I had the problem on an older Tecra 8100.

The best hint was the way to open the display.

After removing the plugs of the famous inverterboard (cleaning them with electronic contact spray) and assembling all the display was ok

again ..thank you

Kurt

mat neaves Sep 12, 2006, 07:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 12, 2006, 09:20am EDT

>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 3000
looks like theres a lot of similar probs with toshibas, mine has very same probs, flickers on i see the cmos then goes very dark just make out words if the light is right! sometimes nothing wrong and its on for hours sometimes seconds!

so i phoned local repair shop (in lincoln, uk) and they said possible cable problem if its not that then new monitor cost around 300-400....erm.....no chance!

so i followed the tips here in basically "fiddling" with the wires in the monitor, i just tapped a few of the connections not removed any tape, and then turned it on, well so far screen is fine, i didnt take anything apart (apart from the bezel and a few screws) so far so good, ill post back if its not sorted it

fingers crossed (every one please cross fingers :P)

ARIF KIRMIZITAS Sep 12, 2006, 09:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've been using Bob's solution, which is taking inverter apart and putting it back, the last three years, repeating it every 3 months or so, and the computer is still usable.

Graham Force Sep 19, 2006, 04:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well Toshiba fixed my display problem. They used my old inverter but seem to have beefed up and insulated the left hand end of the inverter connection with some kind of rubbery material. It goes all around the end of the connector and the wires coming out of the display loom.

Graham

mat neaves Sep 19, 2006, 05:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
so it seems like not really a bad problem, just a few tweaks to stuff, i was quoted a 90 repair or 400 new monitor which to me seems like the repair guys must know that its a simple fix and costs practically nothing

D. Eiler Oct 01, 2006, 04:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Tecra 8200
After reading this entire thread !! I haven't seen any references to the Toshiba model that I am having problems with. (the Toshiba Tecra 8200) (I'll also change the subject line so it is easier to google for.)

My problem had also been the "flashing" or "blinking" prob that most of us other lucky Toshiba owners are having. I purchased my laptop from Tiger-direct about 6 months ago on a refurbished sale. It came with a 30 day warranty and for $300 I couldn't complain.

Of course right after the warranty expired I started getting, what I was pretty sure is, the inverter problem. If I tapped on the case in certain spots when the flickering started it usually made it stop. Well today I decided to look for some answers and tried a quick a "software fix" right before I landed here.

Now I should say that I was getting this flicker on an almost constant basis and at times it would die out completely (just like an overhead fluorescent lamp !!) In one of the good moments I had I did some adjustments in the control panel and it has worked perfect for almost 3 hours now :) Here's what I did:

I am running win98se (other O/S's are slightly different): start, settings, control panel, display, settings, advanced, and then on the Monitor tab I unchecked "Automatically detect Plug & Play monitors" and "Reset Display on suspend/resume". On the Adapter tab I also changed the refresh rate on the drop down tab from "optimal" too "adapter default" and then hit apply.

Like I said it's only been 3 or so hours but the problem has not arisen once and it was almost constantly doing it before. I will update when I have (or don't have) any changes in the future.

Rathavuth Hong Oct 02, 2006, 08:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Succes story, would like to share.

I bought a toshoba satellite 2435-s255, 3 years and 5 months ago. In july 2006, it cooling fans turned on every few minutes and the monitor tuned off a while after. I keep tuned it back on all the time and it was very frustrating. I first thought about virus or software problems. After a week or two the monitor went very dim and almost dark, I barely see anything and have to use the torch light to see it. It work well when I connect ithe laptop to the external monitor. I was desperated and thought that my laptop is gone! It still work excellent and I love it so much!!!!

I googling this topic, register in this forum, reading some of your suggestion and thanks to all of the encouragement of its member (and shared their frustration) I came to the conclusion of the heat sink. I open the heat-sink (it was easy, but please be cautious--How I know how to open it? I read one of the posting about opening the heat-sink here in this forum). There was a handful of dust accumulated in the heat sink and this causes the heat-sink became hot very fast. I cleaned the heat-sink as per advised and put it back (I added some thermo pasted). The cooling fan stay quiet several hour and the computer never turn hot--just like new!!! BUT THE SCREEN REMAINED DIM and DARK. I continued to search. There were several hypothesis come to play, the two prominents: backlight and inverter. I plan to buy both of these but I am not sure mine are really break.

I open the LCD panel (visit the following website for how to open LCD panel of several TOSHIBA models.
http://www.irisvista.com/
For TOSHIBA 2435-s255
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba2435/sat2435_LCD.htm

I struggled to find out whether the backlight and inverter are bad or still good. I have nothing to measure. However I found out that the cable jack that connect between inverter to display panel (back of the LCD screen and not the one connect to the backlight) was slightly loose. I removed the securing tap, pushed the cable in firmly, and tapped the securing tap back. I turned on the computer and MY SCREEN COME BACK TO LIFE. I put every think back to place.

My best guess is that: The dust built-up -- The Heat sink turned very hot and transmitted the heat to cable and inverter -- The cable, inverter were heat-up and connection became loose. The fans that turned on very often and the screen that kept turning off before went dim and very dark (loose connection) were the automatic precaution measures by computer itself.

I did not pay $75-100 for diagnosis test as some shops suggested, or $200-250 for new LCD screen, or $68-70 for new inverter, or $11-12 for new backlight. I bought a small tube of thermo paste for $1.99 (RadioShak) and used about 1/10 of it on the heat-sink (when I open the heat-sink the old thermo paste was wiped off by accidence). What I need are a few small and precise screw-drivers.

I hope this is useful

Rathavuth

Sid Sid Oct 07, 2006, 05:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro A10
Hi all,

thanks to this excellent thread, I was able to figure out what actually was the problem with my laptop. (although yet to fix it properly)

What I did?

1. Removed the dust that has been accumulated in the heat sink - I should have done this a along time back - as Rathavuth Hong has mentioned in previous post, I also think that this is the main root of the display screen going blank problem.

2. Opened the screen panel and checked connections going to the inverter, and another one at the back of the panel. After playing for a while, I figure out that the connection that has problem is the one at the left hand side of the inverter (one with lots of cables going into it). This was my case, but not necessarily the case for others. Although, I would guess that, as the root of this problem is because of the heat being transmitted to the inverter, most of the cases has something to do with loose connections (although there may be very slim chance of inverter being damaged).

I still have not been able to fix it properly. Although I now know that if I slightly push down the cables that are connected to the inverter, monitor does comes back to life. This is obviously the case of some loose connection which gets connected when i push the cables. i now need to figure out how to keep it pushed all the time.

Posting this with my reborned laptop. :)

Sid

Rod Corless Oct 19, 2006, 05:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello All,

My Toshiba Satellite 1800 had, I say had the same problem of the LCD backlight shutting off. Multiple attempts of simultaneously hitting the Fn + F5 would cure the issue for about 1-10 seconds.

After reading a specific post on this glorious site (my apologies to the user that gave advice, I can't remeber your name. Thank you anyway) I removed the trim around the LCD, unscrewed the inverter and reseated it. Wala, two days and no lcd dimming. No more hooking up a 17 inch CRT. My laptop has a new life sitting in my den with a wi-fi 802.11g card.8)

arun talwar Nov 08, 2006, 06:32am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> i had to replace my dvd/cd rom with a rw one

arun talwar Nov 08, 2006, 06:37am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>>  Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 cdrw-driver
i had to replace my cd/dvd divice due to damage.
i took the liberty to replace it with a same type but rw instead
everything works, but i can nowhere find a driver to activate the burner. hence i can not make a copy of a cd.
can anybody find me some driver which will work.
i am in dire straits, searched the net and even a lot of sites.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.