Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1354 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 07:20pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>
Canaan Perry Feb 14, 2007, 09:28am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 which was having constant screen black out problems as described in the first message of this thread. I followed the instructions further down the thread (Bob Pfeiffer Dec 16, 2003, 10:00 PM) which describes how to disassemable the bezel and reseat the inverter and have had around 6-8 weeks of trouble free operation thus far. I also just disconnected and reconnected the main plug on the inverter just to be sure that there was good contact. So far so good. Thanks to everyone on this thread as I have probably saved a pile of dough that may have gone on repairs that some tech guy/girl probably couldn't figure out...(ha hah!!)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
D. Eiler Feb 14, 2007, 10:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 14, 2007, 10:16am EST

>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Tecra 8200
Well, my little software fix that I tried back in Oct. only worked for a little while. I tried to re-seat the inverter plug but that didn't help so I ended up replacing it. I found a brand new one on eBay for around $20 shipped. I must say it was a piece of cake to fix. The laptop has been running like a champ for several months now with no problems. Yipee!

V M Feb 18, 2007, 02:23am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Thanks to Bob, my 1805-S204 display is alive again. Kudos for the fix - this is the first real problem with this computer I've had in 5 years, but given the number of people who've had similar problems, I think Toshiba ought to do a little more to let people know.

clive Farrington Mar 09, 2007, 12:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I would just like to add a link here for where i found the inverter for my toshiba laptop, I have had these display issues for months now and had to constantly restart my laptop as the display kept dying. I got mine at http://notebookkey.com/inverter.html for $15 and $7 shipping, new. What a bargain! I am so pleased to have my laptop finally working 100% again.

John Olliver Mar 20, 2007, 06:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've just read Bob's excellent posts on the inverter issue - thanks Bob. Before going down the route of taking the display apart and reseating I tried squeezing the lid frame with my fingers - all the way around the display (not knowing exactly where the inverter is on my 1800). This 'seems' to have cured the problem. If the problem re-occurs I'll take it apart but it's an easy first 'try'.

John

Giancarlo Miragliotta Apr 14, 2007, 09:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Dynabook VX / 470LS fixed.
I have a Toshiba Dynabook VX / 470LS and I had the same problem with my lap...

The LCD lit for a fill seconds (1 or 2) and it was black. I could see the matrix with a external ligth. The external monitor was fine.

I changed the inverter board and it came back to work!! For a fill hours ago!!!! ;-)

Some data:

Toshiba Dynabook VX / 470LS
Model Name: Satellite M40 Series
Model Number: PSM40N - 03U01N

Inverter
07307-B001-Z2-0 - Toshiba part number V000053040 (old - TOSHIBA REPLACED THIS PART WITH...)
D7312-B001-S3-0 - Toshiba part number V000070350 (new)

Thanks for all ideas.

John Butler Apr 23, 2007, 04:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I have a toshiba satellite. Out of nowhere, the display went black. When I turn on the computer, i hear it begin to start, but the screen stays black. The power light comes on, and all three lights (power, charge, running) work. Interetingly, my wireless switch's light is out regardless of whether it is on or not. Plugging it into an external monitor does nothing, the external monitor acts like it isnt getting a signal.

I have law school exams in one week and all my notes are on the machine. So, naturally, I am kinda freaking out. I dont think it is the inverter problem because the external display doesnt work. Where should I go from here?

-John

John Butler Apr 23, 2007, 04:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I have a toshiba satellite. Out of nowhere, the display went black. When I turn on the computer, i hear it begin to start, but the screen stays black. The power light comes on, and all three lights (power, charge, running) work. Interetingly, my wireless switch's light is out regardless of whether it is on or not. Plugging it into an external monitor does nothing, the external monitor acts like it isnt getting a signal.

I have law school exams in one week and all my notes are on the machine. So, naturally, I am kinda freaking out. I dont think it is the inverter problem because the external display doesnt work. Where should I go from here?

-John

Jen Sloan Apr 23, 2007, 11:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You may need to set your display properties to recognize the external monitor. Try shining a bright light (e.g., flashlight, desk lamp) on the screen when it goes black, most of the time you can faintly see the images on the screen.

Best of luck!

Ayrton S Apr 23, 2007, 12:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Try pumping Function (Fn) / F5 (hold down Fn and hit F5) several times while the external monitor is connected, to cycle through the screen display options

Cheers

Ayrton :D

John Butler Apr 23, 2007, 01:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just tried both of your suggestions. No luck. Even shining a flashlight or really bright lamp on the screen it is pitch black. Plugging into an external monitor gives no signal, and hitting function-F5 doesnt help.

Maybe it got locked in some sort of sleep mode. I cant figure it... it did nothing between breaking and working except sit closed without power on my coffee table.

-John

james davis May 21, 2007, 07:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
usually if you have a dim screen it is a problem with the inverter. If you replace the inverter and you still have a problem then the tube inside the screen needs replacing. If you still have a proble then you have a problem on the mainboard with a power management issue.
http://www.laptoprepair.co.uk can resolve this easilly.

Charles Territo Sep 12, 2007, 09:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah, I just got my Toshiba laptop today finally and guess what, I'm having the same problem where the monitor will just go really dark. Yep, just great. I don't think I can fix it myself and It's really p**sing me off. Should I just send it back or what?

James Coates Oct 22, 2007, 11:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 (w/fix instructions)
Hi Bob and all - I just wanted to let you know that this worked like a charm for me. Bob, isn't it great to know that almost four years after you wrote this fix it's still helping people out.

I read a lot of posts referencing Bob's instructions for this fix, but it was really difficult to find the actual instructions themselves. So I'm pasting Bob's original instructions below so they might not be so tough for someone else to find. Thanks again, Bob! You saved me a service call or possibly replacing a laptop out of frustration!

Jim C

Bob Pfeiffer said:

Here is what I have done in the last 2 days and have not had a failure yet.

Remove AC adaptor and battery before using this process, DANGEROUS VOLTAGES WILL BE PRESENT ON THE INVERTER BOARD IF POWERED ON!!!!!!!

AFTER OPENING THE DISPLAY, TOUCH A BARE METAL PART (HINGE WILL WORK) to discharge any static you have in your body. Do this each time you get up from your chair, static can destroy ckt boards.

The inverter in a 1800 is located in the display. To access it look at the bottom of the display on each outer edge, you will see 2 squares. They are tape. Remove these, if you want to reuse them to cover the screw holes set aside the are very sticky and will attach to anything that comes in contact with them and they will be lost, mine are gone.
After removing these screws, using a knife start at any corner and seperate the bezel from the body, use care there are fragile plastic clips attaching the bezel to the display. Once you have successfully raised a corner, release the rest of the bezel using a flat blade screw driver, again take time lift the bezel carefully and observe where the clips are and use the screw driver carefully, no real force should be needed, just insertining the tip and rotating it will release the clips. At the latch just look and you will see how to get around it, at the hinge (near the body) you will have to fold the display flat and use the screw driver to pry the bezel loose. REMEMBER NO FORCE THEY WILL RELEASE WITH EASE.

Now we have the bezel off, at the base of the display you will see a long circuit board mounted below the LCD this is the inverter. It has 1 screw holding it in place and a connector at each end.

To replace, remove the screw and connectors remove the board and replace in the reverse order. However before you buy a new board first try reseating the connectors and see if it fixes the problem. Reseating the connectors has corrected my problem for 2 days, to soon to say it is OK, but it is worth a try and now that you have gone this far you will be able to replace the board yourself. You can order a replacement board online (for a 1800) between $35 and $69. If you have a 1800 the toshiba part number is P000309130, the board may have U2031P01 on it but I have contacted vendors and the should be the same part.
To replace the bezel just position it over the body of the display and work your way around it pressing the clips back in place, again gently do not break the clips. Replace the screws and tape, if you still have them.

Replace the battery and turn on, GOOD LUCK

karem akram Oct 24, 2007, 08:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This is to all who contributed with their knowlege to this thread...and especially Bob....thanks aloooot i have the same toshiba laptop and had the same problem,, just tried what BOB recomended and 60 min after every thing seems ok.hope it will last that way

tre le Nov 17, 2007, 12:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Try pressing F10 on boot. This allows the initial Toshiba letters(lit screen) to warm up. Reddish turns to white. Then press enter. Worked for me.

w gray Jan 06, 2008, 01:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite 1110
Just finished repairing the 'black screen' problem on my Toshiba Satellite 1110 after reading about others with similar trouble and their experiences. I may have missed it, but I don't recall reading about what I found to be the cause of my inverter/lamp not functioning.

Here is what I discovered after removing the bezel:
On the end of the circuit board opposite the small white connector (that Brent Beach described in his post of Jan 05, 2005) is a foil ground strip. It has an adhesive backing that is used to make contact with the circuit board. In the process of looking for the second mounting screw for this board, I discovered that the foil was covering this mounting screw and was no longer making the intended contact. In fact the foil has a hole in it and should have been secured to the board before the mounting screw was installed. Whoever assembled the display at the factory didn't understand basic circuitry or didn't care how it was put together.
Since correcting this, I have a portable laptop again rather than one tied to an external monitor.

I have a couple of pictures of what I found and how it looks now. Go to: http://www3.telus.net/forums/

Be careful when removing mounting screws as some of mine had been over tightened on initial assembly, fracturing the plastic holding base, and in one case destroying it completely.
Another caution to observe is what Tony Piraino said in his post of Jun 25, 2005: “Removing the top two screws (as well as the bottom two) allows the bezel to be removed, but once the bezel is off, I recommend re-inserting and loosely tightening these top 2 screws. This is because these screws attach both the TFT display panel and the backlight panel (and the metal frame that surrounds them) to threaded anchor points on the inside of the plastic lid "cover". Without those top screws in place, the TFT panel and backlight panel can separate from the plastic cover and that puts stress on the threaded anchor points on the bottom.”

Glad to have found this forum and was able to contribute.
Wayne

lynn maxon Mar 20, 2008, 08:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks To Bob's detailed descriptions, I was able to fix my display exactly as he said. The problem appeared to have been caused by the seating of the connectors. The one on the left was the only one I could remove, and after reseating and closing everything up, it works like a DREAM!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Ivan Rowland Mar 23, 2008, 10:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone, I too have been experiencing display problems with a Satellite pro 4600, it all started after I had to replace a dead screen. At first I thought it was a faulty panel switch, as after flicking it up and down several time everything worked ok for a while, any way after finding this forum and reading about other peoples problems I checked the connections to the inverter, and everything is now ok, thank goodness!!.
I thought I would bring to everyones notice, you may already know, you may not, any way in the set up screen (press escape button at boot up and then F1) there is and option to enable\diable the Panel power on\off facility. If this is enabled your satellite will shut down / resume just by opening or closing the lid. Very useful, unless you have a faulty lid switch.. My advice whilst trouble shooting your display problems at the first opportunity make sure this function is disabled.. Have look at the Toshiba manual section 7 setup and passwords...Hope this extra info is of use to someone out there.. I know I was very very pleased to find this forum it has been invaluable to me thanks to everyone who contributes
Ivan Rowland

Sal Cal Mar 24, 2008, 08:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a 4600 and have had the problem for years. Bob's fix would work for a limited time. Gradually the screen blanking would return internittently and I would use the interlock switch (the little button) to recover. Eventually the bezel would have to come off and the inverter connector reseated.
Opening and closing the lid puts a strain on the inverter cable that results in loosening the connector over time. The machine is old now so I have other machines. I found that leaving the lid open and using the machine as a desktop cures the problem. No opening and closing the lid and the connector stays in place.
By the way, by my estimate Bob has probably saved people hundreds of thousands of dollars in repair and/or replacement costs. We the readers of this thread owe him a big vote of thanks.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.