Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1192 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 03:06am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Ayrton S Apr 21, 2008, 06:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
Here’s a quick update on laptop display problems that I first reported here a long time ago. I finally got to work on my son’s Satellite A15 S129 which died the Black Screen of Death a couple of years ago – he abandoned it. Well I inherited it, (my Christmas present from my son, a dead PC), re-read the entire thread again, and got to work. The A15 S129 is a little different to Bob Pfeiffer’s Tosh 1800, but the same principles apply. Symptoms were as follows: mostly suffering from completely black screen (Windows etc showing very faintly at certain angles), occasionally screen lit and working perfectly, works fine with external monitor. The screen’s occasional reversion to full working was and still remains something of a puzzle, as does the fact that the Intel logo will often appear, brightly, at the bottom RHS of the screen on switch-on.

Don’t forget to remove the power supply AND the battery from the computer. I also kept touching a nearby (very hot!) metal pipe entering a wall radiator to earth myself whilst working on the electronics.

The 2 screw heads securing the screen-surround bezel are covered by round black sticky tabs, not rectangular, just next to the hinges. The tabs are difficult to remove without creasing but a fingernail is as good as anything. (There are also two difficult to remove rectangular blue sticky tabs on the very edge of the screen bezel, but these cover screws holding the screen to its metal surround and needn’t be touched. I know this now…) Keep the tabs and screws safe.

A blunt ended table knife is the best tool to remove the bezel. Once you’ve started to lift it and some space is visible, fingers can be inserted and the bezel retaining tabs can be clicked undone one by one. The material of the bezel is quite flexible and tough – be brave. The A15 S129 is more difficult because of the way the bezel is wrapped around the 2 ‘Titanium’ (whaa??) speakers but take it slowly and it all peels off eventually.

The inverter was revealed at last. It’s the long narrow green pcb, beneath the screen, held by a single central screw (you’ll need a very small jewellers cross-headed screwdriver for this one) and encased in a clear rectangular celluloid tube. On the A15 S129 there doesn’t seem to be any stress on the cables caused by proximity to the hinge – Toshiba seem to have learned about this - nor are there any metal-foil earth straps. I was disappointed to not see any obvious loose connectors on my inverter. (Remember it operates at high voltage – battery out). There’s a multi pin connector at the left-hand end and a two-pin one with pink and white cables, which was very difficult to undo in my case, at the right.

The make and part number on the inverter pcb is Tamura HBC-0291. I undid the screw and carefully prised out the two plugs from either end. I sprayed both plugs and sockets with contact cleaner aerosol solvent and seated and re-seated them several times. Plugging everything back together but leaving the bezel off, I replaced the battery, switched on and kept my fingers crossed. Nada. Zip. Nothing.

In the hope that this might indicate inverter failure I Googled ‘Tamura HBC-0291’ and was sent straight to an eBay Buy-it-now sale for a second-hand inverter here in the UK which I bought on the spot for £10 +£3 p&p which doesn’t seem too bad to me, posted next day first-class.

About two minutes after the Pay Pal transaction I had my brainwave. My firm’s laptop is a Satellite Pro A40 with a similar spec to the A15 S129 (P4 instead of Celeron?)….. could it be??? Well they both have blue lids… So with my new-found bravery I prised off the bezel in moments, hey presto, Tamura HBC-0291! I then remembered to take out the battery (!) whipped out the inverter, swapped it to my son’s Tosh, switched on – perfect picture! Hurrah! So intermittency notwithstanding, I’ve identified the problem and ordered the solution.

I could not have attempted this work without the advice and support of this forum, which I have followed for two years prior to having the opportunity to try out the fix. Thanks again to Bob and all the others who have put in time and effort here. (thinks… wonder if work will shell out for a new inverter for the A40...?)

Ayrton S :cool:

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
CARA Jun 07, 2008, 10:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

I wondered how you fared with your Toshiba after the repairs?

My Toshiba satellite has been blacking out constantly for the past two months and I am just about ready to throw it out of the window since it takes many tries to get it finally going for it to black out in a middle of LONG and important email I was sending overseas, amongst several other blackouts for the past two months.

After all the bad comments read on constant blackouts from several Toshiba users, I am not sure that I would want to continue further with Toshiba. I have my computer for a little over 2 years and fail to understand why this happens as I am not a technically geared person (woman).

I am thinking about buying an HP. And I see Sony has new computers out as well?

Can anyone made a recommendation on this make or any other make for that matter?

Thanks - Cara

Adam Kolak Jun 07, 2008, 10:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
CARA said:
H
I am thinking about buying an HP. And I see Sony has new computers out as well?

Can anyone made a recommendation on this make or any other make for that matter?

Thanks - Cara

First off, hello and welcome to the forum here at Hardware Analysis.

My recommendation to you is to post a new thread in the Portable Hardware forum asking for help with purchasing a new laptop. In it state your requirements such as screen size (12", 13.3", 15", 17", etc.) and what you will be using the laptop for. A budget also helps.

Thank You,

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
CARA Jun 07, 2008, 12:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you for the suggestion.

In French, we say 'Beau, bon, pas cher avec un bon rapport qualité-prix'' which would translate into ''Beautiful, Good, Inexpensive with the best quality for the cheapest price''.

I get that is what I am looking for and will do so shortly in the forum discussion as you recommended. Thank you.

Cara

Morris J Jul 07, 2008, 12:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Same problem, different cause - hairline crack in flat orange cable
I had a similar problem with an intermittent blank screen - sometimes occuring after flexing the screen with a Satellite 1110.

The underlying cause was a nearly invisible hairline crack in the flat orange cable (within the lid that goes to the mother board).

The crack (which was a crack in the conducting copper, not the plastic flat cable itself) was next to the end of the cable that plugged into the inverter board (the inverter board is just below the LCD within the screen lid).

Pressure near the inverter would "fix" the problem because that would flex the crack. I recall it is just where the inverter presses against the cable against the top of the lid. It clearly was a design fault with cable and I strongly suspect that the same fault would occur in other laptops where the same type of cable is stressed in the same place.

Ideally, replace the cable. Alternatively you could try and solder a wire over the crack... Don't cut the thin wires - they actually have a wire core and outer conducting sheath and are not ordinary wires...

Cheers

Morris

Jim Stork Aug 02, 2008, 12:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem - power light on and Nothing - cd drive pins a couple os secs. and then totally nothing. Not sure what to try.

julie almond Sep 17, 2008, 04:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Satellite Pro A10 with dim screen, I have tested the backlight and that works fine, I bought another inverter but nothing changed although this could be faulty too. I would like to know can anyone tell me where the lid close switch on this laptop is please. So that I can check this problem before buying yet another inverter. Thankyou

Ayrton S Sep 18, 2008, 03:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I believe that the switch on your particular model is a magnetic one. If so, there are no externally visible components, but there will be a magnetic reed switch inside either the main body of the laptop or the lid, and a lump of iron opposite it (in lid or main body) to activate the switch when the lid is shut.

Cheers

Ayrton S :cool:

battery land Oct 12, 2008, 10:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

alexa alexic Oct 21, 2008, 07:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello!
I found result for inverter on toshiba 4200,4300,etc... UA0392P06,and woks really!
If ever of you pull the plastic bag for side where was 7 pins.In down where is pin 1 look fuse F1 24V ,use ohmm meter and check if no resist 0 on no sound (in short connect) ,fuse was burned.
Use one wire and put there ,bridge this..........
I repair 2 times on both my laptops and work before,little thing but neccesery.

Mike Kelley Aug 27, 2009, 04:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have been plagued by a display problem with a Toshiba Satellite Pro which seemed to resemble so many of the other Toshiba Satellites I have seen mentioned here. After much troubleshooting the final problem ended up being the actual flexible printed circuit control connection to the inverter board. What occurs is that any pressure on the LCD top between the hinges causes deflection of the flat flexible printed circuit control and power connection where it plugs into the inverter board. The occasional flexing will cause cracks in the smaller control traces (the power and ground traces are larger and doubled up). In my case this would manifest itself by the backlight going out at seemingly random times. The big hint was that it would sometimes blackout even during booting, but most commonly while just doing normal computer work. The computer heating up would also make it worse. Often times pressing on the lid close switch would cause the backlight to come on for a few seconds. Tapping the switch would often work better, because of the extra vibration. My first repair involved soldering the traces of the flat flexible printed circuit connection "cable" but the repair did not hold because anytime I would pick up the closed laptop (sometimes by grabbing it by the back between the hinges with one hand) would cause the plastic cover to flex where the inverter board is mounted and push up the inverter board to move up in relation to the LCD frame, severely flexing the notorious flat control "cable". This again fractured my soldered circuit traces. Since the cable is about a centimeter wide, with about 8 traces, it is damned difficult to solder (I did it with a 30x microscope I sometimes use for such repairs). A better option is to buy a new cable. But no matter what process you use (repair or replace) the issue of the weak plastic in that area flexing will still cause a future problem. I addressed it to some degree by placing stiff foam between the plastic back and the LCD frame, to help minimize the flexing. While I didn't work to beef up the plastic back (not wanting at the time to have to pull the LCD off at the time) that would be worthwhile also). I also NEVER again pick up the laptop with one hand by the back between the hinges. I have had no further problems with the backlight. This was absolutely a design problem from Toshiba, at least with my 1115-S103.

Armando Prado Aug 28, 2009, 10:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Satellite Toshiba laptop with the display broken then I have used an external LCD Monitor, But now when I power it on It doesn´t change to the external display when pressing Fn F5 , The Laptop´s display is turned on but as it is broken i can not see anything, I check the external display with other laptop and it works fine
then the problemis with the Toshiba. Any idea or suggestion how can I change to the external display ??

I can see the external monitor when I turn the laptop on a safe mode but after it reboot, again can not change to the external monitor.

calvin loyd Dec 13, 2010, 08:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
same here guys, my toshiba satellite c655 that i bought yesterday did the same thing right after it said windows starting up( i think thats what it said), but anyways i returned it the same day i bought it.

Lee Carville Dec 14, 2010, 08:20am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all,
I have a Toshiba Equium P200 with a dim screen which works fine when plugged into an external monitor. I've read through this thread trying to troubleshoot this problem but have had no luck. I have replaced the IB & replaced the screen. I have also reconnected every connector. Nothing has resolved the problem for me. Does anyone have any further suggestions for me?

Suspended User Dec 14, 2010, 11:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Lee Carville said:
Hi all,
I have a Toshiba Equium P200 with a dim screen which works fine when plugged into an external monitor. I've read through this thread trying to troubleshoot this problem but have had no luck. I have replaced the IB & replaced the screen. I have also reconnected every connector. Nothing has resolved the problem for me. Does anyone have any further suggestions for me?

Sadly, a dim screen can be any of the following:

Inverter
LCD itself
LCD Cable
Mainboard

Typically, with a bad inverter, a lot fo the time the screen will go from bright to dim randomly and keep switching, if it is constantly dim, it is usually the LCD and sometimes the cable....and in very rare cases ( happens with DV6000, DV9000 and Satellites more frequently tan any other models) it can be the mainboard

If you are confident, open the LCD assembly and remove the palmrest of the laptop and take out the LCD cable. Remove the sleeving around the LCD cable and look at each individual cable inside and see if any are broken/burnt.

If you have replaced the LCD and Inverter, next step would be the cable....but again, you could have a bad inverter ( agai

Lee Carville Dec 18, 2010, 12:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
I've now replaced the IB, Screen & LCD cable but the problem still exists. I read somewhere on another forum that this is a really common problem with Toshiba laptops & can sometimes be caused by the machine thinking that the lid is down & hence the screen display is as if in hibernation mode. There was discussion about checking the contact switch for this, however I am unable to see anything that obviously indicates the lid is closed. Can anyone enlighten me as to how these machines operate as far as the display cut-off when the lid is closed?
Thanks

sarena engineer Sep 26, 2011, 09:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> error with Nvidia

Display driver NVIDIA windows kernel mode driver version 189.88 stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

this is the error I'm getting every other day.

Toshiba Satellite A665-S6098

Part number PSAW3U-0QV03CB

running under windows 7 Home premium 64 Bit.

Nvidia Geforce Graphics

thanks a lot

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.