Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1089 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 07:46am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>
Sharon Rafferty Feb 11, 2004, 12:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
Bob, Thank you for the response. I did try reseating the connectors, this did give me a dim display. It is VERY dim. I will search the internet for a new Inverter. I am glad I found this forum......it really helped.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
robert hall Feb 24, 2004, 07:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Bob for your great advice! My son's 1800 shows just this problem (very dim display) and I took a look inside to see what I could do I didn't actually remove the connectors but certainly taking the front off the display and poking around did seem to fix it for a day or two!

I will revisit the display inverter with renewed confidence! Thanks!

AND ... to Sharon. My son's previous laptop (a Toshob440cdx) had a battery problem - there is a link on the opposite (short) edge of the battery which must link some circuit within the PC. The link actually FELL OFF the battery!! I replaced it (actually, I seem to remember I bridged the contacts inside the PC) and the battery / PC has been fine ever since!

I have also noted that the DC cable on the power supply is a very poor quality and develops internal breaks (at either end - where the flexure is worst). It is not hard to get the power supply apart and completely replace the cable - the connector should be available pretty easily (although I just pulled all the insulation off the old one, and used heat shrink tube to cover the soldered joints up).

Make sure the polarity is correct though!!!! AND don't tamper with the mains side of the power supply - it contains high DC voltages and can bite back (hard!)

AND finally - why do we keep buying things from large companies like Toshiba who really don't deserve our loyalty! I suggest trying a different brand next time - I sure will!

Cheers,

Rob.

Bob Pfeiffer Feb 24, 2004, 03:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You are right, just bought a HP pavilion zd7000. 2.66 ghz pentium 4, 17" display, 64 meg video memory,etc...

Tory Skyers Mar 06, 2004, 10:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you a million! This worked out well, i have a sister in law that was having this problem w/ her computer!

Sharon Rafferty Mar 11, 2004, 01:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello again,
I finally had time to order and replace the inverter but unfortunately the display is still very dim. Any suggestions or should I give up and junk it?
Sharon

Bob Pfeiffer Mar 11, 2004, 09:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
sharon

I have not had to go past the inverter, my 1800 failed last nite after many months of working, again I reseated the connectors and it seens to work again. I have not been into the LCD display, i do know there is a bulb somewhere in there. Maybe you have a broken or pushed pin in the connector, of my 3 laptops,my toshiba gives me the most problems, my Panisonic toughbook, seems the most robust, and my hp 70000, crashes on pot holes, I work on the street, in a truck and some times a big pot hole causes my hp to reboot.
Check the wires going to the connectors, and try to be sure they are fully seated in their connectors. Do not give up, look carefully at the connectors, be sure all sockets are in their proper place.
Most problems can be fixed by carefull inspections of the connectors or connections

Don G Mar 14, 2004, 08:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks to Bob Pfeiffer for his excellent directions on how to resolve my Toshiba dark display problem. It was driving me crazy! The display would last for a few minutes after power up and then quit. I thought it had to do with the power control software because it would take a few minutes to go dark. Anyway, I followed Bob's directions and reseated both connectors on the invertor and it has been working perfectly for 2 weeks now.

Thanks again!

John B. Doughton Mar 18, 2004, 12:20am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a satellite 1800 and tried the inverter plug fix and is now working well . It had gotten so bad it was unusable .. one suggestion is to use a contact cleaner/restorer .. I use Dioxit D5 by Caig Industries .. I got mine at Frys Electronics But you probably can get it at other electronics stores .. This should prevent the problem from re-occuring ..

RIPPER UK Mar 20, 2004, 03:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello All ,

Aint these places great !! (well i hope so lol)

i have a 4600 but unlike you all my screen is clear ......... all except for a white line going from the top of the screen to the bottom , its about a 1/4 of the way into the screen and is about 1/4 of a centimetre wide ... ANY IDEAS folks , and im having battery probs too .. but i wont go into them till i got the screen fixed lol

may thanx all

Sowmyanarayan Sampath Mar 21, 2004, 10:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My screen goes dim but comes on again, when I press the tab that shuts the screen when the screen is closed. Again after 2 mins I get the same problem.

Is this a inverter problem or a faulty tab/switch.

ANy ideas how I can disable that switch or correct this problem

James Cunha Apr 07, 2004, 11:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry... my english is very bad...
I work fixing notebooks in Brazil...
About the problem on the display... that the image appears dark... is necessary to reweld the inverter transforming... it uses weld iron...

James Cunha Apr 07, 2004, 11:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The problem is not in the switch... and yes in the inverter...

Bob Pfeiffer Apr 07, 2004, 11:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
James,
The inverters on US toshiba laptops have connectors. These seem to come loose over time. If you look at my post on the first page, you should be able to fix your problem.

Tim Stoop Apr 07, 2004, 04:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I Have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000. My problem is somewhat similar to the dull screen one except that mine doesn't happen when you close the lid so I suspect that it is not a loose cable in the screen? Also, my screen does not go Dull, it goes crazy colours. I think that something IS loose because it happens when I "bang" it (not excessive force, of course). When it does go crazy colours, it is often defferent too. Sometimes wavy lines, other times, I can still see Windows (XP) a bit. If I bang again, I can change screen too. Will not accept any commeand so I have to hard-shut-down. Then usually will not power up. The Power light comes on, and stays on but the machine won't boot. IT seems to check the removable CD for a split second but nothing happens. I do know that Boot Priority is HDD first. I am truly scratching my head...

Anyone else have any history with the kaleidoscope screen of death?

C C Apr 16, 2004, 06:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 26, 2008, 09:15am EST

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1110 with the backlight problem - the screen is almost entirley black but the features can just vaguely be made out. I was wondering whether the fix that Bob kindly suggested would be applicable to my laptop also. I've never opened up a computer before and am slightly wary about doing so. Any advice?

CC.

Bob Pfeiffer Apr 16, 2004, 06:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ciara

Do not a afraid to open your display. Just follow my instructions and remember be GENTLE when prying the case open. Many others have do it since my post with problems.

Robert Oxlade Apr 16, 2004, 07:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 16, 2004, 07:23pm EDT

Wow! I have a three year old Toshiba 1800-100, which the dim screen set in four months from new. Toshiba wanted nothing to do with it, and I just put up with it/ran it off another monitor. After the first year, I looked at getting the screen apart but gave up, now (in about a month) I will try again. I found that by lifting the power pannel at the top of the keyboard, then two screws holding keyboard, I could get to the main connection. By removing and replacing this I normally get the screen to full brightness. It also can make the full white, and line faults other users have found. Now with this site, I hope to get the inverter checked out. What I do find though is that once it is working, don't move the screen. Reading these posts, I now know why. Cheers guys

Robert Oxlade Apr 17, 2004, 05:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Another happy Forum reader!
Thanks to you folk, I now have my screen working all of the time! I decided to try fixing it before my work abroad. My tip would be to take the cover off alltogether. I decided, when it seemed hard to remove, to leave the top section still attached. About half way through the repair, SNAP, I now have a crack on the left hand side, about the width of a hair. It's a small price to pay! The connections were fine, although I did reseat them. My problem seemed to be the clip, it was so tight, I think it was pulling too much. I replaced the clip but not so tighly, and moved the foam insert slightly.

C C Apr 19, 2004, 08:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 26, 2008, 09:15am EST

I opened up the screen on my Toshiba Satellite 1110 and reseated the connector as Bob described and my screen is now working again! :D Thanks SO much!

CC.

scott wilson Apr 21, 2004, 08:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi folks,

i have a satellite 4310 with a similar problem to those described, .....although my screen was visibly broken, so i imported a new new screen from Australia to Scotland ....(only one i could find at a decent price) and enthusiastically installed it, in the knowledge that i now had a perfect working laptop!!
OOPS....not quite true,...it fired up perfectly for 1 second, and then went dull......total deflation as it did the same each reboot !!
I then decided to purchase an inverter,( only because i had not found this excellent .."self help site")
and still await delivery of said inverter.
I will try the reseating of the original inverter, just as BOB describes, and will let you know if it works, or if i do in fact need the new inverter.
I have the old screen in bits front of me, and it is quite surprising how simple it is to take these things apart .with one proviso,
1.be gentle,
2.remember what you took out, and where it goes back,
3. unplug it from the mains before you go playing around.or you will fry yourself !!
thats 3 proviso,s ..........lol
One other thing,........if you think you have problems with Toshiba laptops......then whatever you do.do not buy a Compaq........(Even compaq engineers could not answer similar problems such as these with their current "offerings")

great to have found you guys.n.gals

Scotty

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.