Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1139 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 06:33am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>
Bob Pfeiffer Apr 21, 2004, 09:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
Scott and all other users of my fix on page 1.........

I made a point of telling everyone to disconnect ac power and remove the battery, this is very important, the inverter will produce high voltages. This inverter lights the cold cathode florescent light that illuminates the display.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
G Quan Apr 24, 2004, 03:06am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 24, 2004, 03:06am EDT

I've tried Bob's fix... opening and re-seating the connectors

Now the screen light's up, but the display is pure white?!? ie. it doesn't show any graphics or anything, the LCD is on, there is power going into it, but it's all white??

Has anyone encountered this??

Note: the laptop works fine when connected to an external monitor.

Thanks for any suggestions that I can try!

C C Apr 24, 2004, 09:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Unfortunately, after working for a few days my screen has gone dark again and reseating the connector no longer seems to correct the problem :( Would a new inverter board correct it?

Tom Pappas Apr 24, 2004, 05:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ciara,

If you can see an image on the screen by shining a strong light on it, then a new inverter (or light tube) will probably solve your issue.

If not, you have a more serious problem.

Good luck.

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

scott wilson Apr 28, 2004, 03:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
CIARA,

i just solved the same problem as you have on a 4310.

loose connection, sorry ...bad connection on the ribbon cable where it connects to the screen.

a new backlight didn,t help,
a new inverter didnt help,

it was simply that a couple of the 12 or so wires in the lcd end of the cable had been pushed back into the plug, and wasnt making contact full time.

so its a cheap fix for you, if you can see everything, but very dull..!!.

its basically the same fix you used before, but tapoe the cable in place so that it cant dislodge again.

Scotty

Bob Pfeiffer Apr 28, 2004, 10:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sharon

Other posts have had battery problems, he found the contacts in pc it self were not making contact with the battery, however if your battery is bad it will not charge. Battery life is about 500 charges. Do not buy your battery from toshiba, check the inet, take your time, and you will save atl east 50% over toshiba and get the same battery, i did this and got the same battery. If you can see a faint display on your screen then reseat fix may take care of your problem. Just remember remove the connectors, on a 1800 one at each end, and replace them. Reseat does not mean wiggle or anything else, reseat means remove and re insert. This should clean any oxidation from the contacts. Cleaning with alcohol, yes rubbing alcohol, is even better, but so far has not needed.

Ie different subject, if you have a noisy volume control or tone controls on an older radio or stereo, opening the case and porring rubbing alcochol into the volume or tone conrol, known as pots or potentiometers, and rototating them back and forth from low to high quickly and many times will clean the pot and your noise will be gone. O yes turn the device off first. do not us water only alcohol

Jose Gantes Jul 10, 2004, 02:10am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba Satellite 1805-274. The screen would go black after I plugged the DC power cable on the laptop. I followed Bob Pfeiffer's instructions and now the laptop screen works both with the DC power and with battery power. I'll have to wait and see if the problem comes back.
Thank You Bob!!!

J T Jul 21, 2004, 12:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Toshiba 1805-s203 has been having the same problems described in this thread. Sometimes, the led display would go dim and the only way to fix it is to close the laptop and open it up again. Even though this works most of the time, occasionally it would take multiple attempts until it would work fine again. So, I figured that after delaying for a time, afraid to open up the screen, I tried the method described by Bob. The process was exactly as he had described. Once I got the front panel off, I disconetted the cable that goes into the interent and plugged it back in. I also loosened the metal piece that holds the cable in place and gave the cable more slack. After this, the laptop has been working flawlessly for about 4 hours now. Hopefully things will stay that way.

Thanks agains Bob,
JT

Armando Maldonado Jul 24, 2004, 10:10am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 24, 2004, 10:11am EDT

I have 2 Satellite Pro 4600s. They BOTH have the same problem. Screen flickers, dims, and then goes out completely. It is definitely a design flaw. If you do a search on the internet, there is a sign up list for a class action lawsuite against Toshiba for this problem. I encourage everyone that has this problem to sign up. This may be the only way to fix this problem and prevent it from happening again.

My laptops seem to go blank at least once a month. An easier way to bring it back is to pull off the top cover above the keyboard, remove the 2 keyboard screws, lift the keyboard back. You will see a fairly large white plug. You will notice the plug is the one that connects the monitor to the motherboard. Simply reseat it and it will come back on.

My theory for this problem is the Processor is so close to that plug (and the fan barely ever comes on), that it gets so hot that it distorts that connection. Heat makes plastic warp very easily.

This is my job. I work on PCs everyday. I have worked on tons of toshiba laptops and this is the first time it has happened to me. Toshiba will not give you a straight up answer on how to fix it because they dont know how. They wont tell you that but they make it evident. If they new they should be nice enough to post the fix on their website so that everyone could have access to it and take the necessary steps to resolve this problem.

It is a shame because I really like my laptops. They are a little old but run great (other than the monitor issue).

Well I hope this helps a little.

This bandaid (temporary fix) is for the Toshiba Satellite 4600 pro. Other Toshibas may be different.

Bob Pfeiffer Jul 25, 2004, 11:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Another way of fixing the problem. Great fix. But now I see reating of different connectors have the same efffect. Did Toshibia us defective coatings on their connectors? Hi quality gold connectors should not corrode. We may have all forgotton how Toshiba sold seceret submarine tech to others during the cold war.
Why should we expect a quality product.
My Company only buys from Dell, no also run's.

Bob Pfeiffer Jul 25, 2004, 11:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Another way of fixing the problem. Great fix. But now I see reating of different connectors have the same efffect. Did Toshibia us defective coatings on their connectors? Hi quality gold connectors should not corrode. We may have all forgotton how Toshiba sold seceret submarine tech to others during the cold war.
Why should we expect a quality product.
My Company only buys from Dell, no also run's.

Bob Pfeiffer Jul 25, 2004, 11:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
We have had a thread of people who have had this problem. Everyone has expressed a fix and a thank you for help. However we now have a possible spammer, Amando. If you click on any of his links you will get, an invitation to join aol, BIZ Rate or Plus Net. Do not be fooled we all get enough spam. Use caution

Nathan Buskell Aug 02, 2004, 09:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I too am a victim of the toshiba curse! I just bought this laptop off eBay and when i tried the repair it became evident someone else has already done this repair. regardless i did remove and re-insert the connectors but with one extra. I am an automotive mechanic and it's common to have a similar problem with automotive connectors so i did what i usually do. Normally i would remove all pins(ONE AT A TIME) from the connectors and crimp them tight again with needle nose pliers, in this case though the connectors are so tiny that i only did it with the one black wire located on the right side of the inverter. It is super easy to remove from the plug assembly, besides this i also used di-electric grease on the connectors, this prevents moisture from entering the connector and causing corrosion, Just a tiny amount dont make the connector swim in it. Thanks Bob for the insight, i'm sure i speak for us all when i say that! Gonna go enjoy my laptop now!

Ranjit Singh-Nagra Aug 10, 2004, 05:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 10, 2004, 05:50am EDT

>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 1110
Can anyone help?
Not sure if anyones out there on this subject!

My Tosh Sat Pro 1110 has a screen problem.
Its blinding white. Its not the inverter problem as resolved by Bob et al. Quite the opposite.

Ive ordered a new ribbon and will try to replace. Failing that Iv'e been told i'll need a new screen costing 200 - 300 GBP.

Can anyone (Scotty) please advise / recommend where i can obtain a cheaper screen should i need it?

I currently run the notebook off an external monitor which works fine but would like to fix the screen so as to use it as a notebook again.

Please help - otherwsie I will have to add to the list for santa this year.

scott wilson Aug 10, 2004, 06:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi ranjit,

i would suggest searching EBAY:

do an "all of the world" search for the part numbers written on the back of your current screen,

remember to search in the descriptions section especially ,(not just titles, as the matching numbers are usually in the body of the text.

that is my best first suggestion..........second one is to buy a full (non-working) laptop off eBay with a good guaranteed screen...this can often work out at a similar price ,

Scotty

robert hall Aug 10, 2004, 09:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
To everyone who has been troubled by the dim display problem:

I tried the "reseat connector" solution (see an earlier post from me) but the problem returned after a short while (as described by many in this group).

Next time I used a product called "DeoxIT" (TM) made by CAIG Laboratories (http://www.caig.com) to treat the connector surfaces. This product is popular in the audio industry where even gold plated connectors can produce noise in (very low current) microphone connections. The product's package insert talks about why even gold connectors can give problems "dentritic corrosion" - quite informative. DeoxIT both cleans and then prevents further corrosion.

Since the treatment, my son's toshiba laptop display has been 100% reliable - that was over 6 months now. There are OTHER problems with the laptop (Note to self ... NEVER but another Toshiba laptop!!), but at least you can see when it's not booting now!

Theodor Jackson Aug 17, 2004, 03:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 17, 2004, 03:09am EDT

Here's a quick rundown of my situation.

I have a 1 1/2 year old Toshiba Satellite 5205-S503. I am obviously having the dim screen issue along with everyone else. Mine seemed to happen very suddenly. I was using the laptop, left the house with my wife to get breakfast. Came back an hour and a half later, and thought that my laptop was turned off somehow.

The screen NEVER flickered, showed patterns or any other symptoms that some people have spoken of. This may be the reason that the fix described earlier in this thread did not work for me. I followed the instructions and removed the faceplate from around the screen. Disconnected and re-connected the inverter a couple of times and tried to generally make sure that no wires either on the side or behind the display were tight and causing problems, but it made no difference.

Therefore, my question is, does this sound more like the inverter has just complete gone out, rather than some/all of the connections coming loose? I found the inverter online, but it is around $65 plus shipping. I wouldn't mind spending that if I KNEW it would fix my problem.

What about the warranty route? Is it even an option? Has anyone had good or bad luck with sending items to the factory for repair? Will it take 3 months for me to get the laptop back?

Thanks to everyone that posted here. There is a wealth of knowledge that probably saved me hours of pain. Although I am sure there are many more to come with this Toshiba...

...and one more thing, does anyone have a link to the class action lawsuit or appropriate e--mail addresses discussed previously in the this thread?

Thanks,
Teddy J

Armando Maldonado Aug 22, 2004, 01:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The spam came from my ISP. Sorry. They fixed the problem. Their email server got hosed.

It was not intentional on my part.

Armando Maldonado Aug 22, 2004, 02:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well this appears to be a never ending circle. Bob has posted a good fix, but apparently the problem duplicated itself several months later. So no one has posted a true fix for the problem. I am totally clueless. It could be a number of things. I wish I had an answer, but the only one I can seem to think of is...DONT BUY TOSHIBA ANY MORE!!! Sorry! I am now looking into possibly buying a new Dell. I didn't want to but I am left with no choice.

Armando Maldonado Aug 22, 2004, 02:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Check this out. Looks like they are taking out a class action lawsuit on Toshiba for this problem.
Check out the link and read. http://www.lieffcabraser.com/notebook-flicker.htm

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.