Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1368 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 01:07am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>
ARIF KIRMIZITAS Sep 11, 2004, 11:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
Dear Forum writers, I would like to thank to all of you and mostly to Bob.
I have a Toshiba satellite 1800. It is three years old and the dim screen problem started before the end of first year so I sent it to toshiba they replaced inverter board. Two months after that the problem was back and my warranty was expired. In the last year or so I was juggling with the machine to make it work. As others experienced know, the problem starts slowly. First it is flickering and soon after you find that when you play with turn on botton or open and close the screen it goes away. (If I knew anthing about laptops I would jump to the conclusion that this is a problem about inverte but I had no idea, classic consumer. Thank you again for enlightenining me.) However as described by others, you end using an external monitor and your laptop becomes a lapdesk. I met this person last year, he told me he threw his toshiba because the screen broke down three times. I cannot believe there are so many people around experienced this problem. I truly believe that Toshiba should pay our money back for selling such as**tty device. I forget tellling you that my DVD player doesn't work properly either. (Any help will be appreciated). So anyway, I joined to the class action taken against Toshiba. I strongly encaurage everybody to join to the lawsuit and demand for our money. I cannot believe I paid 1700 dollars for this, It was the best of its time.
P.S. reseating inverter is really easy, just follow what Bob wrote. At first, as a completely dull person about computers, I was really scared but it is really EASY! Oh my God, I can't believe I struggled for a year with my computer for such a problem. Thank you again Bob and all others. I won't buy Toshiba anymore. And join to the lawsuit.
http://www.lieffcabraser.com/notebook-flicker.htm

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
scott wilson Sep 11, 2004, 12:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi folks

if you think toshiba,s are trouble.have a look at this HP/COMPAQ FORUM...and another classs action

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=36917

Hugh Grant Sep 11, 2004, 02:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have an 1805-S274. Had it a couple years now. The flickering started about 6-8 months ago.

Bottom line. For my model, follow Bob's instructions, except, the screws to remove the screen border, or bezel, are located, as you look at the screen, in each lower corner of the lid. Take off the tape and the screws are underneath. You only have to remove these two screws, not the three on each side of the lid.

It really is easy once you get started. And it is a complete fix. Just take your time. The border of the screen, or bezel, comes off a little at a time, and before you know it is off. Then reseat the cable and pop the bezel back on - and you are good to go.

Thank you Bob!!!!!!!!! Great instructions, and you saved me $190.00. This is all you need to read to fix the 1805-S274 (plus Bob’s instructions of course). However, if you want to read my nightmare story about trying to get this fixed by an authorized Toshiba dealer, read below. I can't believe they wanted to charge me $190.00 for what is a maybe 20 minute job for a pro (actually more like 10 minutes).

How Richards Computers of Fairfax, Virginia tried to rip me off. My machine runs great, but it has been really aggravating with this flickering display, which eventually goes out (although the computer is still on). I would have to hit the stickpin that shuts down the display when you close the lid, and alternately swing the lid open and closed to get the screen to light up. Eventually it would stay lit, but I had to keep the computer still, less a bump would start the flickering again.

After much agony, searching the web and calling Toshiba’s hotline, I determined I needed to reseat the cable - as Bob suggested in an earlier post (see page 2). Toshiba's hotline even told me as much. (I must say Toshiba's help line has been very good - for me anyway).

I read Bob's instructions (although his was for a different model), and it seemed too hard. I took it to Richards Computers in Fairfax Virginia, as the Toshiba hotline suggested. I called ahead, and the owner told me they could do it in one day (I was leaving town), but there would be an express charge.

I took it in, with no one else in the store yet. A guy comes out, says it will be $95 to reseat the video cable. That is their standard one-hour charge, but I thought initially that this was the express charge. Knowing that this was a 20 minute job for a pro, at most, I felt like I was being ripped off, but needed it done, so agreed to it. They said to return in an hour.

After 45 minutes, as I was ready to return for my computer, Richards Computers calls and the owner says, as he told me on the phone, there will be an express charge, another $95 (yes, $190 total). He told me the guy I talked to was not him, although there was no one else around when I was in there. I said do not fix it.

When I went to get my not fixed computer, I told the owner he wasted an hour of my time, and something fishy was going on here, and that I planned to complain to Toshiba (which I did). We got in an argument, in front of about 10 customers! What a jerk he was! He blamed me for not knowing he was the one I talked to on the phone. I told him Richards Computers sucks and left.

In hindsight, what I think happened is the owner told me on the phone any same day service, if they have a heavy workload, incurs an express charge. When I got there, I spoke to the honest front desk help, who likely knew they were not busy, and gave me an honest (although high) price of one hour of labor. Once I left, the owner found out my computer was the one of the person he had talked to, called me, and tried to get me to go for the express charge he had set me up for when I spoke to him originally. What a crook!!

When I got home, although I was still a little apprehensive about taking the screen border, or bezel, off my laptop, I was so angry, and needed it done for a business trip, I printed and followed Bob's instructions precisely (except for where the screw are located on my model) - and it worked.

What a relief. Again, thank you Bob - thank you very, very much. If you live in DC or Northern VA, beware of Richards Computers - they tried to rip me off!!!!!!!

Bob Pfeiffer Sep 12, 2004, 09:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am glad my fix has helped so many people, however, I have had to reseat the connectors 2 times since I posted my fix. Having worked in the computer field, hardare and software, since 1973, pc's, but mostly main frames, most problems are fixed by reseating cables and cards. This problem is not unique to pc's. I/o systems, and all circut cards and cable connections seem to corrode, even when gold plated have to have to be cleaned, another post recommended a solution available for cleaning, this is a good idea, but it seems like, from the number of posts, toshiba must have really "cheaped out" on our machines.

samantha Sep 17, 2004, 11:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 10, 2007, 05:44pm EST

Josphat Karanja Sep 21, 2004, 02:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I delighted to discoer this Forum. I will confess that Toshibas have a myriad problems that you have to contend with.
Bob, thanks for the good advice and hope everybody will give it a try. I have also a suggestion which I have previously used on an 1800. Get a BIOS update from the Toshiba website. After I applied it, i found it to work. That was sometime back and do not have the URL. But a search on the site is adviced.

Hope this helps

Hugh Grant Sep 21, 2004, 11:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Totally agree with the bios update suggestion! Aside from the flickering display, I also experienced a "spontaneous system shutdown" problem. The unit would just turn itself completely off, out of the blue. Downloaded the new bios. It installs itself, no problem.

Gavin Petch Sep 24, 2004, 10:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Bob I've just had the same problem you described and the fix worked as suggested.

I think Toshiba did have a cheap run, after the 4600 they release the 6100 which (after purchasing around 60 for my company) found had a serious flaw - egg on my face :-( Turned out that the chassis wasn't up to standard so when you carried the laptop around the RTC battery on the motherboard came loose and locked the Bios. Toshiba's helpful suggestion was "don't carry them around and leave them on the desk in the office and you won't experience any problem" !!! The 6100 was quick end of lifed. I think they have now sorted themselves out but I can't take the risk again

Board Quake Sep 26, 2004, 05:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for everyone who reported their problems. I have an 1800 and experienced the same problems. I don't know if the cable need reseating, then inverter is shot, or whatever, but clearly my problem is not unique.

I called Toshiba Canada last week and explained the situation. The rep said they would fix it for a charge because the warranty had expired, but after I insisted this is a known issue with the line, and that a 2002 bulletin about it exists, a supervisor authorized the repair free of charge.

A package to ship my computer in for repair was sent to me by courier. The entire thing will cost me nothing. It seems to me Toshiba IS standing behind their product and the bashing is not justified.

I highly recommend that anyone with similar problems speak to Toshiba. An assertive tone would save the need for legal action and do-it-yourself repairs.

Good luck.

Will Shepherd Sep 29, 2004, 02:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 29, 2004, 02:33pm EDT

In reply to Quake, I have the exact same dimming problem everyone else has had on theirs. I have a Toshiba 1800. I repeatedly called Toshiba Canada with my problem. They told me every time that it was the screen and it needed to be replaced, I knew this wasn't the problem so I went online. After searching around and emailing people I found out that it was the inverter. I called Toshiba back telling them what was happening and that it was the inverter and because this is such a wide spread problem that it should be covered even though the warrenty had expired. I called twice and both people I spoke to continually cut me off, would not listen to me, would not even acknowledge that it was the inverter. They wouldn't even say the word, let alone acknowledge the idea that it could be the inverter. It was like I wasn't saying anything, they were completely ignoring me. Both of them told me to take it to a service depot (I called a couple and it would have run me at least $200) and that it wasn't their problem. Apparently supervisors are never available. I will never EVER buy another Toshiba. It'll be a Dell or Panasonic for me, I've heard the best about them.

And to Bob.......THANK YOU!!!!!! I just followed your instructions (used some eletronic head and contact cleaner from RadioShack) and so far it's working great. Didn't break a clip or anything. Quite proud of myself :-). If there were more people like you out there the world would be a better place. You're a good man!

To anyone who's thinking about doing this, don't hesitate, it's simple and easy and can do it while your waiting for supper to cook.

BOO TOSHIBA!

Jayesh Rathi Oct 11, 2004, 10:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Display problem with Toshiba Satellite 2435
Hi,

I have toshiba Satellite 2435 S255. I am having some problem with the processor. My computer uses so much amount memory when I am doing some computation works that it automatically shuts down without any warning or signal.

Does anybody has any solution.

Jayesh Rathi Oct 11, 2004, 10:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Toshiba laptop sucks.....

Board Quake Oct 13, 2004, 11:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My laptop is back and working well so far. The repairs cost $110 and Toshiba did pick up the tab.

I will not pretend the process was painless or fun. I had to make numerous calls, and I did get upset once or twice. In my opinion this is typical customer experience working vs an organization.

But it was worth it at the end, and I think if others act the same, Toshiba will learn a lesson. To me it is also a matter of principle.

Bob Pfeiffer Oct 13, 2004, 08:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Board

Did Toshiba tell you what they did for $110?

Calvin Wels Oct 19, 2004, 10:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba Satellite A25-207 notebook with a series of display problems. The computer is a little more than a year old. Originally, the screen was dark as was the case in many of these posts. I then replaced the FL Inverter and the backlight now works. However, the screen now has dark vertical bars and no images. If I move the cursor, I can see the bars shift but no horizontal definition. I've tried replacing the drivers for both the display as well as the monitors and no luck. The video is fine when viewed on an external monitor.The monitor folder in the device manager shows I have a default monitor, a plug and play monitor and a Toshiba internal 1024X768 panel. I'm running Windows XP home SP2
Any ideas on how to restore the panel?:

Karite ranen Oct 21, 2004, 02:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Toshiba Satellite 1800 got the same dim display problem. Fixed it 3-4 times as BOB described and each time it worked for a month or so. Finally I removed the right side plug and soldered the two wires (high voltage side?) to the inverter board.

But after the typical 1-2 months the display went dim again. This time I just poked/pressed the cables and the inverter board to get it to work again - probably for another few weeks.

Kari

Hugh Grant Oct 21, 2004, 02:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I wrote a while back how following Bob's instructions fixed my screen dimming problems. Bob promptly replied he has had to re-do his a few times after the initial fix.

Well, mine is starting to do the dim thing again. So I assume I will have to go back in and re-seat in a few weeks. It has been perfect until now, but the last few days it blanked out at start up. It comes right back if I open and close the lid, but most likely, it will get progressively worse.

When I re-seated the first time, I did not clean the connectors with anything. I think a few people have written about using a cleaning solution of some type. I recently talked to a computer tech where at work, and he suggested taking a simple pencil eraser and rubbing the cable connectors. This cleans the dirt or whatever off the cable end, and then lightly blow away the debris. Obviously, one would want to blow the eraser debris away from the computer components or circuitry.

Bad news though, that soldering the cable straight away did not fix the problem. Makes me think it's more than a connector problem. Maybe static electricity gets built up and stored somehow, even after the machine is turned off - and the only way to relieve it is to unplug or loosen the connection. Actually I have no clue. Perhaps planned obsolescence!?

jason senti Oct 26, 2004, 11:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Toshiba Satellite Problem
Hey Everybody. First, I must say, fantastic thread! I was very happy to find info on this, apparently, common problem. I don't know if any of you can help me, but I thought I would give it a shot.

I am currently in the possession of a Toshiba Satellite 2435-S255. It was my younger brother's, and after an UNBELIEVABLE battle with best buy, I have it. Confronted with similar problems as described on this thread as well as a loose ethernet jack, he sent it in for work "covered by the warranty." To make a long story short, I recovered it, and was told the fix would cost around $600. He bought a new computer (less than $600), and I was left to make an attempt to repair it. I am an electrical engineer, and since the computer wasn't worth paying for a repair, took the risk of taking it apart to attempt to solder the ethernet jack and figure out the problem with the display.

To my surprise, the ethernet jack was no longer loose. Eventually, I realized what I believe to be the current problem. The white and black leads coming from the display were taped up separately to the bottom of the main board. I assume they supply power to the display, and I believe that after repairing the laptop, folks at Toshiba decided it wasn't covered by the warranty. In order to get their money, they disconnected power and taped the connectors in order to prevent a short. Wow! I couldn't believe it. Granted, this is speculation on my part, but damn.

Here is where my problem begins; I can't seem to find the location of the on-board connectors that will receive my two lone-connectors. I was hoping for any info I can get from you guys. I know it is unlikely that anyone knows the area where the connectors are located, but even a description of what they look like would help. The ends I have appear to be female. I am going crazy staring at this board playing a geek's version of Where's Waldo.

I also broke off a surface mount resistor during the disassembly, but I have access to the proper solder equipment at work as well as experts in board population. This seems to be the only other problem.

Please help!!

Thanks!

jason senti Oct 28, 2004, 05:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey everybody.

I don't know if anyone has read my post, but I thought I'd give an update. The cable I was trying to connect turned out to be the antenna for the optional built-in wifi card. The antenna, just happened to run through the display housing, confusing me. After removing the bezel from the display, i found that the power connector to the inverter board was disconnected. I connected it, and still am getting no display. This may be a power issue, though, because i don't have the AC adaptor. I will have it soon. The battery is very dead. i am hoping that is the only problem. If not, I may try a new inverter board.

Paul Willis Nov 05, 2004, 07:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
I'm in France and have the same problems of the screen diming to black with my Satellite 3000-214.
I recently reinstalled the bios and it has been working since. If it goes black again I'll try Bob's solution.
Good luck and thanks for all the post.

Paul

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.