Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1273 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 01 - 07:25pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Off Topic /

Longest Windows Uptime 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>
Chris M Apr 09, 2004, 06:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Longest Windows Uptime
To find your system uptime do one of two things:

1. Click start then run. Type cmd. Type systeminfo and hit enter. (works for XP, not sure about other versions of windows)
2. Download a third party program such as AIDA32 (which IMO you should already have).
Get it here: http://www.aida32.hu/aida32-download.php

--
It is said that when it comes to life, those who feel see it as a tragedy. Those who think see it as a comedy.
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jennifer Apr 09, 2004, 06:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Chris, it didn't work on the ME machine... on the XP machine it acepted "cmd" but not "systeminfo"... it is XP Home edition. I'll check out that download, thanks!

-Jennifer

--------------------------------------------
. A correct ordering of the three human principles; intellectual knowledge, bodily pleasure, and spiritual love; will balance our soul out perfectly so that it can understand all things as connected and one.
Chris M Apr 10, 2004, 12:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well then perhaps XP Home lacks the systeminfo tool. AIDA32 is much more informative however. It tells you just about everything you would want to know about your computer.

--
It is said that when it comes to life, those who feel see it as a tragedy. Those who think see it as a comedy.
Brandon Paddock Apr 10, 2004, 01:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow what do you guys do to your systems?

My longest XP uptime was 94 days. My system only goes down to switch OSes or upgrade hardware. I also had another 3-4 month run on Windows Server 2003 last year. I had Windows XP 2003 Edition for 64-bit Extended Systems build 1069 running for about two weeks and 1159 running for 3.

My current uptime is a sad 1 day, 8 hours, 11 minutes. There was a power outage at my house yesterday and I don't have the UPS hooked up since I moved =/

Jennifer Apr 10, 2004, 10:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Which version of Aida do you suppose is best for someone like me, with 3-4 computers networked inside our home?
Does having this installed open me up to hackers in any way? (What;s the remote control TCP/IP thing, for example?) Will it hog my system resources?

Thanks again!

. A correct ordering of the three human principles; intellectual knowledge, bodily pleasure, and spiritual love; will balance our soul out perfectly so that it can understand all things as connected and one.
Jennifer Apr 10, 2004, 10:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Which version of Aida do you suppose is best for someone like me, with 3-4 computers networked inside our home?
Does having this installed open me up to hackers in any way? (What;s the remote control TCP/IP thing, for example?) Will it hog my system resources?

Thanks again!

Chris M Apr 10, 2004, 02:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
To Brandon- I know that I am never satisfied with my machine so I am constantly tweaking this and changing that. :) I'll go for an uptime record sometime this summer. ;)

To Jennifer- Just get the enterprise edition.

--
Chris Nicodemus Apr 10, 2004, 04:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 10, 2004, 04:47pm EDT

Windows 2000 Pro Currently 19 days of uptime (typically 20+)
850MHZ K7-3, 768MB SDRAM, ~100GB HD Space, 1 GB of fixed space swap.
Web browsing, software dev (VB mostly), e-mail, instant messaging, Freenet Node, Quicken, and a lot more. Always have a VERY full task bar, people often wonder how I work with so many windows open at once.
Screen Shot: http://www.niconet2k.com/~nicodemus/images/vstable.jpg

Debian Linux Currently 55 days of uptime (typically 60+)
450MHZ K6-2, 448MB SDRAM, ~30GB HD Space, 1GB of swap space.
Old server for niconet2k.com, runs web server, mail server, and more.

Debian Linux Currently 36 days of uptime (typically 60+)
1.7ghz P4, 512MB RAM, 80GB HD Space, 1GB of swap space.
Current server for NicoNet2k.com, runs web server, mail server, many many eggdrops, a couple ircds, a few bncs, hosts over 150 users, and more.

Chris M Apr 10, 2004, 09:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Quote:
"people often wonder how I work with so many windows open at once"

Add me to that list. :P

--
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Apr 11, 2004, 05:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Windows XP Pro 4 weeks, normal maintenance n all for loading games

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Apr 11, 2004, 05:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
installing that is

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
Shned Apr 13, 2004, 10:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
4 weeks 2 days 6 hrs

no word of a lie..

Kazaa ya gotta love it!

Intel P4 3.2C @ 3.73Ghz
17" Benq TFT
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
Geil 1GB Dual Channeled 4200
2x 200Gb IBM Deskstar
Asus 9800 XT 256Mb
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum EX
Lawrence Heffernan Apr 13, 2004, 11:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I still prefer WinMX. Anyways, My system hasn't had a reboot since Catlyst 4.4 cameout, my system just hibernates when it's not needed

Adam Kolak Apr 13, 2004, 11:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The most time I left my Win XP system on was 5 days, 22h, and a couple min. The whole time i had AIM, iTunes(i turned off the speakers when i went to bed), Netscape 7, and Windows Pinball all going at the same time. I finally shut it down after it was getting a little slow in Cyberlink PowerDVD.

On my old Win 98 system It would freeze every 3 to 4 hours even when it was not doing anything.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Rhort Apr 15, 2004, 08:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 15, 2004, 08:32am EDT

>> 
My secondary machine (in essence, itís currently just a spare 30Gb HDD on the network), is a Cyrix M2 233Mhz with 64Mb RAM. Before I turned it into an impromptu SAN node, I was using it as a proxy server and it basically just used to sit in my spare room running ProxyPlus and Genome@Home (back in the days when HWA had a team). With W95 installed, it sat there for just short of two years, 24/7, just running Genome and the Proxy software, without a single crash. I installed 98SE on it when I put the 30Gb drive in (it was the old version of W95, with the 2Gb partition limit, and I didnít fancy the thought of having the CDROM as drive R:\, so I moved to í98:D) and since then, it falls over at least once a week, usually twice :(

..so much for progress.

My main machine is also on 24/7, but reboots on that are usually because the 'net cnx falls over and the U.S.B. rnodem wonít reinitialise without a complete reboot for some reason, which means that 12 days was my record up-time. Aside from that, Iíve seen one blue-screen since last October when I installed XP, so if it wasnít for the 'net cnx thing, it would probably have been up since then (except for when I installed my new CDROM).

_________________________________________________________________________________
~ The manual said "Requires Windows '95 or better" ...so I installed Linux!
Jared unknown May 04, 2004, 06:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a friend whos Windows 2000 Pro has been running without a reboot for over 2 months. He plays quake and Unreal Tournament 2003 all the time. Its an Athlon Xp 2000+, mobo = cheap ecs K7S5A (I have the same mobo but mine crashes all the time), geforce4 440mx, 512mb pc133, cheap heatsink fan, and 160gb western digital hd. I know his system cause we built ours at the same time. Your wondering, why does he keep it on so long? He keeps his computer on for so long because If he restarts, the computer will crash on windows startup due to his monitor. A pin broke off in the connector and we "fixed it", sorta. So if he restarts, he has to unplug the monitor, but when he plugs it back in, he has to wiggle it just right so the colors are right. Otherwise it will be green or blue or whatnot.

Jay J May 04, 2004, 08:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
86days 19 hours 47 minuts 51 sec
Daily using musicmatch, kazaalite, Yahoo messenger, Msn Messenger, Outlook express, Seveal webpages opened daily norton scans daily, Aida, WindowWasher, Lavasoft ad-aware, UT2004, Diablo2 (LOD) and some odd and end games, Burn cds, Watch dvd's and other things like Managing digital photos backing up files Plus the other 3 PC'S here connect to mine for internet. So my uptime is great.

PC specs in profile.
Darren Krape May 06, 2004, 10:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Frankly, its dang near impossible to have a decent Windows uptime. Anything more than a couple months and you're already behind on about 10 critical updates. Windows update (and I think I've said this before) = The enemy of uptime. Ironically, my latest uptime was killed not by Windows Update (though I was many patches behind), but by a scanner that refused to work without rebooting.

Anyhow, I set my latest, 63 days. This was including a great deal of Photoshop and video rendering. Here is a screenshot. (Sorry, its huge, I wanted to get the wallpaper and didn't feel like taking the time to crop it when I posted it online :) ) http://www.forma3.com/stuff/63_day_uptime.png

Darren Krape

Chief Graphics Designer
dkrape@hardwareanalysis.com
http://www.darrenkrape.com
#hardwareanalysis on newnet.net
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 May 06, 2004, 11:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
well im going by without reinstalling windows etc.

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
S S May 07, 2004, 03:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey Darren, what do you use to display the sytem details like uptime and processes and stuff on the top right of the screen? That is really cool. Is it a utility of some kind? Can I download it from somewhere, I'd love to have something like that!

This sig is a virus, since I am not so technically advanced, it's a manual virus. If you can see this message that means you've got the virus, so please delete all the files on your hard drive yourself and forward this message to everyone you know! :)

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.