Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1465 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 10:17pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio- Will not power on 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
xpend FX Jan 11, 2005, 01:34am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio- Will not power on
I have a PCG-FX210 and it does not power up. i did every single troubleshoot that i know and nothing seems to work. has anyone here hold a solution. senarios are simmilar to above posts.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
William James Jan 11, 2005, 04:10am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
See the article "Re: Sony Vaio PCG-Z600/505 won\'t power up (one for Tom and Joe)" for
a solution to some of the problems here:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/28573/

William

xpend FX Jan 11, 2005, 02:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
my sony pcg fx210 does not power up.
when i hold the power button, the power led together with the battery leds light up for 10 sec then it dies, it does not boot, nor it shows the post, nor it even powers up the lcd backlights, tried the memory solution, not effective, so, i'm letting it sit now, ha, any help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Farmer Jan 15, 2005, 06:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
In answer to all FX210 & GRX5* owners, I have solved the vexing problem of "no power" at least for both my wife's fx210 (850MZ) and my GRX (1.7GHZ) computers. They both had identical power Jack opens. The center HOT contact is an massive pin soldered to the motherboard. In both cases, the pins ehibited a dull
solder mound that I interpreted as a cold solder joint. After searching sony service literature, I found that a 127 watt soldering iron was recommended. Evidently, this terminal was to massive to wave solder & required
manual intervention. However, I had an 130 watt iron & after reheating the terminals, all power was restored.
Unfortunately, this resulted in another dull(cold joint) solder mound. It would only be a matter of months to a couple of years before an carbonaceous insulation would accumulate due to internal micro-arcing and result
in all of those flaky boot symptoms & mysterious shutdowns before finally opening permanently. Fortunately,
I had an antiquated Weller pistolgrip triggered 200 watt iron that produced a clean silvery solder mound. One
can tell if the joint is good by observing the wicking mound around the power jack on top of the motherboard
which did not exist before the proceedure. Since then both computers have been rock solid concerning
power disribution.
The GRX580p had two other problems that required attention. One problem was self inflicted when i destroyed conductor connector fingers on the startbutton/speaker bar assembly during removal to observe
the power jack. For those who are as clumsy as me, Here is the part number for the 5inch 12 conductor
flat cable available from http://www.digikey.com 1-800-digi-key; HFF-12U-05-ND $4.95
The final GRX problem involved the #2 ram connector socket & thanks to all of the thread contributors
concrning the forum question "My sony will not Boot". I learned to remove the ram & now have a functional
unit although somewhat slow. This will be my next project.
For those of you who are a continent away from reliable service, I have`a method of fixing this power problem without requiring the heavy shipping costs.. If you dont mind a small blemish on the bottom side of your computer and you are afraid of risking the daunting task of disassembly with all of those specialized screws & one time use flat cables-Here goes:
Measure carefully in to the backside of the power jack beyond the center terminal & transfer that measurement to the underside of the computer case under the jack.`Turn the computer upside down. You will need two drills. I recommend a 1/8" pilot drill & a follow on 1/2 inch drill. On the FX210, the case is plastic & you will find the large hot pin at the point of measurement`. The hole is just large enough to enter
an soldering iron to reheat the terminal. It can be covered with a piece of electrical tape.
The GRX is a little bit more tough as there is an aluminum barrier beneath the plastic case with an additional paper like insulating layer to protect the motherboard from shorting to the aluminum. To prevent
aluminum debris from falling on the motherboard-Try to drill upward from the bottom so that any shards will fall away from the motherboard.
GOOD HUNTING & thanks to all of the previous contributors who have helped me get through all this.

Ken LaDere Jan 15, 2005, 08:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Be advised the Pressure fix is a [TFPP]=" Temorary- Fix to a- Permanent- Problem".. Meaning the solder joints will only continue to fail further and delapitate to the point of rendering the RAM inop.(Bad connection's cannot get better without repair). (This means toast for the RAM mod).Then when will it make more sense? To have had it repaired? or to have purchased and installed 3 stick's of memory in 2 years at the cost of 79.00 per 256 stick at discount prices. Do the math.. things break down and Sonys arent the only one/manufacturers Having these RAM slot and other issues... ( I Love the Sony's.. When theyre working? they are the best in Quality).. Best design I've seen... ( But I'm an Amateur)....

Ken LaDere
http://www.ikenfixit.com
231.758.0529 (message)
ken@ikenfixit.com
Ken LaDere Jan 15, 2005, 08:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I Hate when these posts get screwed up... 200 WATTS?? Are ya tryin to burn a hole in her Scotty? The DYlithium crystals cant take much more of that.. Glad you got it running though! Aint quantum physics is it? Just good ole rocket science... ( The RAM issue I was posting a reply to was on page 3,098,099,098..... I believe?)?.. Confusion-ken be fun

Ken LaDere
http://www.ikenfixit.com
231.758.0529 (message)
ken@ikenfixit.com
gerardo cordero Feb 07, 2005, 06:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have a system board mbx-g65 but having much problems whit those, i would like to change the cpu, but have 1 question, my system boards supports cpu celeron procesors? or only p4 procesors? pleas help me
anyway tanks bye

Nobler Pursuit Feb 15, 2005, 07:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio- Will not power on PCG-V505EC
My Vaio model is PCG-V505EC, purchased from Costco three months ago. What a charmer? I loved the looks and feel of the machine. Since last weekend, it would intermittently refuse to boot up. I would hear some noise from the harddrive fro a fraction of a second, then it dies. Sony support is sending me a box to have it shipped to San Diego for repair. I guess I am lucky that this VAIO failed during warranty. But I have to live without it for three weeks. I had to remove the battery, put it back, back and forth several times to get it boot up. Then leave it running on AC without the battery.

Laura McHugh Apr 26, 2005, 12:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm ok with just trashing the computer, but want to retrieve my files.

Can this be done by recovering files off the HDD? How? Who could I contact to do this for me?

Appreciative of all help - Laura

email me at lmchugh@gilead.com

David Pultz Dec 25, 2006, 08:39pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm trying to help my brother-in-law with a similar problem (flaky boots, shuts down in middle of boot, especially with ac cord plugged in.....most of the time will boot from the battery). So, based on the symptoms, I'm figuring the problem is with the ac power jack connection on the motherboard. Any other updates or comments on this problem? They took it to a local computer shop and were told it was time to buy a new computer. Pretty lame answer in my opinion. The computer is a Sony Vaio laptop model PCG-Z1AP (PCG-571L). They were ready to pitch the computer and buy another, but in the last day, I've been able to get it to boot from the battery fairly reliably. Once it it totally booted to the windows XP desktop, then I plug in the ac power, and it charges the battery. If you try to shutdown, and then restart with the ac cord plugged in, sometimes it will boot, but sometimes it will shutdown partially through the bootup.

Thanks for any help!

David

S. Johns Feb 26, 2009, 05:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 26, 2009, 05:15pm EST

Dont trash. Offer it or pieces of it for sale for guys and gals that NEED to FIX ;-)
As for the HDD.... Pull it, go to Micro Center and drop $15.00 for an External 3.5 or 2.5" (depending on HDD size) USB carrier... and after you plug in your old HDD, connect to USB of any PC, open 2 Explorer Windows, 1 for the PC you are on and 1 for the Ext USB HDD you plugged in... ;) and drag n' drop the files:cool:

S. Johns Feb 26, 2009, 05:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 26, 2009, 05:13pm EST

I have seen this once before - but on a Compaq with built-in power cord. (not mine)

I tshot and found that one of the filter capacitors on the internal PS was dried up (bulged) and lost it's ability to filter the impulses of AC/DC from the switching transformer. In this case, the LTop would not run off the cord without battery (b/c the battery acted as a filter when connected and charging) but would run off the battery by it self (b/c the battery provided pure DC current) btw: It also never fully charged and ran HOT b/c of this filtering bug.

Very possibly you are looking at the same animal. On pc with external PS like the Vaio GRX560 (mine) I would advise you to just get a new PS and the problem is solved. Me? I would have just busted that LT or PS open and replaced the CAP, techie that I am... :cool:

S. Johns Feb 26, 2009, 05:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Richard Farmer said:
The startbutton/speaker bar assembly during removal ...For those who are as clumsy as me, Here is the part number for the 5inch 12 conductor
flat cable available from http://www.digikey.com 1-800-digi-key; HFF-12U-05-ND $4.95

I'm gonna assume (and hope) that this is the same cable as that on the GRX560 series?

Here are 2 more questions.. Do you have Digi-Key part numbers for the other 3-4 cables?
and... How the heck do you find anything on Digi-Key site?

Thanks a bunch!

opreesh opr Aug 02, 2009, 12:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi ! i have a sony vaio vgn FS4 series and after this mornig i have turn it off ! I have try to turn it on after 2 hours and i have see that nothing hapend .. no led ,no sound no nothin not whut the batrry only nothing ! anyone have any ideea if i can try something to brig him back to life ?:)

steve copeland Aug 02, 2009, 01:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-CR490, I left the Laptop on my bed for an hour and upon return it had shutdown. The PC would not power back up, there was NO activity from any of the LED's when the power button was depressed and there was no activity from the LED's when the power supply, which was fully operational, was plugged in.
The PC was purchased in Feb 2008 therefore out of warranty

So the FIX.

Unfortunately a little stripping down but not too bad. I had to remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard and I left mine unplugged for 20 min's. That did the trick, I tried the advice from SONY first the old battery out, power supply out, memory out and reset the power on button for 5 sec, but this did nothing.

I removed the covers on the back, removed the hard drive, I removed the main battery and removed all the external screws from the back cover, you also need to remove the keyboard which is retained via one screw next to the memory. The front top of the PC is then lifted slightly and the back top (monitor end) is prized off gently. All a little tricky but none the less doable.
Good luck

opreesh opr Aug 02, 2009, 04:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thank you Steve for you`r advice ! i have open the case but i did not find any battery ! i have expect to be a battery same as a desktop one ! but i did not find any thing that look`s like a battery !

Paul arthrell Jan 28, 2012, 12:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My sony vaio is a PCG K415S
I had the same problem it would not power up no leds nothing
Checked that the power was reaching the board from the power supply ok
checked the ribbon cables ok
put it back together still would not work
removed the button plate left ribbon cable connected and layed it on the screen
removed the key board, left ribbon cable connected and moved it towards the front so that I could see through the silver baffle plate to the mother board, as you look through you can see a small round battery like the one in your car fob
I removed this and metered 3v as stated
Replaced it pressed the on button and it fired up there was no battery in
put it all back together and its Ok
Thank you to all who have posted with out you help I would have been stuck
Hope this helps some one else

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.