Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1157 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 02:50am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Off Topic /

Join the HA Genome Team 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
Dan Mepham Jun 27, 2001, 06:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> [No Subject]
I have a Celeron 300A @ 450 here that's doing them about every 16-18 hours, so I think we can assume from that (18 hours on a Celeron 450, 26 hours on a K6-2 500) that it must be fairly FPU intensive. Which suggests it should do well on Athlons.

I'll be doing some testing on various platforms in a little bit, we'll see then. :-)

Dan Mepham

Editor in Chief, Hardware Analysis
Email : dmepham@hardwareanalysis.com
Visit us at : http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

Dan Mepham
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
DaveO Jun 28, 2001, 07:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> How about those tweaks Dan?
How long has your machine been working on this Dan, and what is it exactly? Any hints on performance? How about you Drew? You seemed to steam past me pretty quickly there. Surely a Duron 750 running 24hrs a day should be doing better than this...

--------------------------------------
What does this button do?
keboman Jun 30, 2001, 02:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> [No Subject]
Ugh, I'm sorry.... but running the client software in a DOS window doesn't paticularly appeal to me... can't they do something like SETI?

Drew Jun 30, 2001, 08:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Time Per Packet
Is from 4.5 to 8 hr. Depending on how much I play CT...lol.
I am running an Add-on like Seti Mon or SetiSpy. It is called Electron Microscope. It could be better.
As far as performance I am not overclocked just running @ 1333.
Click on my name and you can see my system config.
I think we need a G@home thread on the main forum.
Have a good one.
Drew

DaveO Jun 30, 2001, 01:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Seems to be settling down
They're some pretty impressive system specs there Drew, it maybe just that you're overpowering work's Duron 750 ;). I seem to be getting a better gene vs. work unit ratio now anyway, which was what had me questioning things to begin with when I think you had 6 genes to my 2, despite having been on the list for a couple days less than me. For instance, at the moment Sander has done ~60 units and 3 genes, while I've done ~112 units and 13 genes. I was focusing on my relatively slack gene rate to begin with but it seems pretty clear that some gene calculations take up more units than others. At least the rankings are done by units (even if that bumps me down to third...).

Just gonna have to get a more beefy system to keep up I suppose, does this client work on MP systems well? Weren't you going to use your dual Zeons Sander? Any luck?

DaveO Jun 30, 2001, 06:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Err...
I mean Xeons..... (I didn't think that looked right ;) )

Mbeach Jul 01, 2001, 01:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> I'm in...
well guys, you now have a 24/7 Win2K server crunching proteins for Hardware Analysis.

Dan Mepham Jul 02, 2001, 12:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Tips..
Here's what I've observed so far...

1) Prefers raw MHz versus anything else, and seems to be particularly FPU-heavy (as seen by poorer performance on K6-2s). Either that, or it's L2-heavy, which would give the same result on a K6-2. I'll have to test more.

2) Seems to like Windows more than Linux. It seems to be running much slower for me in Linux than in Win2k.

3) It's dataset seems to fit entirely within the CPU cache. It doesn't appear to be affected by memory speed at all (so long as you have enough memory to hold it resident without disk-swapping, it doesn't seem to care)

For those of you who don't like it being a command line client, Drew has sent me a little program called Electron Microscope, which you can use to control the client. You can make it load the client on startup, minimize it, etc... it also has progress indicators, and so on. It's worth a look, for sure.

I still want to play with it a bit more, and then I'll post some kind of 'speed optimizing' article. So far I've yet to try it on anything faster than 600 MHz, so I'll need to bring out the big guns. :-)

Dan Mepham

Dan Mepham
DaveO Jul 02, 2001, 04:02am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Link?
Any chance of someone pointing me in the right direction to download Electron Microscope?

DaveO Jul 02, 2001, 11:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 100 Genes
Just thought I'd point out that TeamHA is looking likely to have 100 genes when the next page update occurs. Would this be a good time to go with the previous suggestion and create a forum topic specifically about it?

Rowebote Jul 03, 2001, 07:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Electron Microscope

Darren Krape Jul 05, 2001, 02:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> [No Subject]
I just fiished the first work unit and it looks like its taking about 20 hours each. I was wondering if this is about right for a PIII 600mhz with 512 RAM. Almost done the next one as well. :)

Darren Krape

Chief Graphics Designer
dkrape@hardwareanalysis.com
http://www.darrenkrape.com
#hardwareanalysis on newnet.net
Rowebote Jul 06, 2001, 08:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> About Right
Your time sounds about right compared to the results I am getting. I'm on a Tbird 1.33 and it takes anywhere from 6.5 to 10 hours to process a unit depending on how many amino acids there are.

DaveO Jul 06, 2001, 09:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Catching me fast
I tell you what Rowebote, you're definately catching me fast - I think on the next update you'll be ahead of me (unit wise that is). That 1.33 TBird is making minced-meat out of this 750 Duron ;)

Good luck catching Dan though, I think he's got a couple of Crays working on his...

Dan Mepham Jul 06, 2001, 11:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Genome Stuff
Evening all,

Just wanted to let you know that I've added a very short Genome@home FAQ section to the website. This can be updated as necessary. You can find it under Community -> Projects, or here: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/community/projects/genome/

Also, if you check the team stats page, you'll notice that we've computed our way into the top 200 teams already. Top 100 isn't very far off. Keep up the good work guys!!

(And actually, no Crays. Believe it or not, what I have working amounts to a small armada of sub-600 MHz PCs. :-) And I'll be adding more to the farm shortly.)

Dan Mepham

Dan Mepham
DaveO Jul 07, 2001, 06:02am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Array?
Tell me Dan, how do you run multiple clients under the same user id? Just run the client on multiple machines? Or does each client have to recognise the others? If you let me know, I can turn my puny 750Mhz contribution into a 6 x 750Mhz monster ;)

DaveO Jul 07, 2001, 06:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> No need to reply
OK, that seems to be working (memo all departments: "always read the FAQ)". No need to reply as it seems to be working fine running on multiple machines. I'll be making a stop off at the office to get the whole network on this, better remember to run them in stealth mode though ;)

Dan Mepham Jul 07, 2001, 09:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> [No Subject]
Yeah, you got it - just install it on as many machines as you like with the same User ID and team number, and you're set. The whole office, eh? Looks like I'm going to have to crank up some more machines if I want to stay ahead. :-)

Dan Mepham

Dan Mepham
h0stile Jul 07, 2001, 05:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> [No Subject]
My school got 80 K6-2-500's:D

---------------------------
blah
Brandon Wharton Jul 10, 2001, 04:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Just in case y'all didn't know
Let me introduce myself

I'm just a member of DSL Reports Genome@Home team.
http://gah.stanford.edu/teams/DSL_Reports_Team_Helix.html

If you go to that page, just scroll down a bit and you will see me as "Nitrousine"

Anyway, just incase nobody knew, I wanted to inform everyone that there is a more detailed statistics page you can find at this address -
http://statsman.noxordo.com/genomestats

I was scrolling down the page looking for teams are producing good numbers, and well, that's how I found this website :)

And Hardware Analysis team is here
http://statsman.noxordo.com/genomestats/691.html

I hope this helps atleast a little :-)

P.S.
If your team keeps producing those kinds of numbers,
you will be in the top 100 in NO time! :)

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.