Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 768 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 20 - 05:43am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / General Technology /

My computer wont turn on at all! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Lee Merrill Mar 13, 2008, 06:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: My computer wont turn on at all!
Hi, I just built a new pc and had it running for only a day when I decided to plug in the headphones and microphone to the front panel jacks. As I plugged them in the computer shut down instantanously with out any noise. I then tried to reboot it and when i hit the power switch it does absolutely nothing except the mobo light turned blue, no fans or anything else came on. I thought that perhaps I had a psu failure so i went out and got a hold of a new psu today and hooked it up and now when i go to turn on the pc the mother board light flashes and nothing else comes on. I took some of the suggestions such as removing a stick of ram and trying to boot it on, but still it does not power on.

My specs are:
EVGA 780i mobo
XFX Geforce 8800 GS
OCZ 2x2gig ddr2 64000 800mhz reaper hpc
WD 320gb HD
Samsung 20x dvd burner
antec 900 case
intel core 2 duo 6750
windows vista
psu's
first: antec trio! 650w
second: BFG 800w

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
john albrich Mar 13, 2008, 10:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
One of the more common mistakes people make is mis-wiring of the front connectors on a build-from-scratch PC.

You have to make sure you look at the connectors and compare them with the connection diagrams provided WITH THAT MOBO. Not everyone follows the same convention, some manufacturers provide separated wires, others group them together, others label things differently enough to cause confusion, etc.

Off-hand I can't think what specific mis-wiring would cause the symptoms you describe just because you plugged-in some audio items, but I'd double-check that wiring first thing...all of it...not just the wires going to the audio connectors.

Some mobos also provide jumpers on the mobo that you have to either plug-in or remove depending on whether you are using the rear connectors for 5.1/6.1/7.1/8.1 speaker output or for the audio components marked on the bezel (e.g microphone, line-out, line-in, etc) Those jumpers change how the front wiring is configured.

Jason Bucsis May 30, 2008, 08:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok so I've read all of the replies but I dont think I'm having the same problem. I just built a new computer and hooked everything up properly. Yet when i plug in the power supply I get nothing, no fans, no leds, nothing. Everything is brand new and I've tried multiple outlets.

Any ideas?

isaac robinson Oct 18, 2009, 11:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
the symptoms for my computer are very similiar but when i disconect the computer for awhile then i connect it again it turns on for 3 seconds then shuts off again. Please help.
thank you

Bungle Oct 18, 2009, 11:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
sounds like you need a bigger powersupply.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
james becker Mar 05, 2011, 08:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ALrite i dont know what happened. my computer shut off and wont turn on! I tried everything u guys have said over the past replies. The only note i can add is that after i pull the plug outa the wall and plug it in the computer fans spin once along with the mobo lighting up but turns right off again. Help

abel cabruja Mar 07, 2011, 07:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
my computer doesn't turn at all when i press the button power it turns off back and it start all over again and it doesn't get to any screem all that happens in like 5 sec

lodis lopez Apr 10, 2011, 08:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i need help, i accidentally improper shut down my computer when i need to turn it back on.. it won't switch on, the green light on the motherboard is on so i guess it's not the motherboard or the power supply, i tried to reseated the memory and the hard drive but still nothing happened. i don't know what is the problem.

ryan Sumpter May 14, 2011, 06:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, Iv had this computer for a few years now and now, i turned it off then turned it back on and it didnt work, I unpluged every thing and pluged every thning in but the power corde. I pluged the power corde in and the computer turned on, (Fans, Harddrives, Cores Ect. Mother borde was on, The grafix card turns on 1/3 times i plug it in.. The butten to turn on the computrer does not work, All main systems are online but my Grafix card 1/3 times and my Butten to turn on the computer, An my CD drive. I'v checked the power supply and it is not that, Im thinkin it might be a short in the mother bord. If any one has any ideas that would be great thank you. :/

Daniel Fiorile May 20, 2011, 06:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> My computer wont turn on at all!
When i press the power button on my computer sometimes it deosnt turn on and other times it will beep and then turn on but now it will beep but the only thing that comes up on the screen is no signal detected and iv checked the connections for the screen but they seem fine. Can somebody please help me.

Maria Reed Sep 25, 2011, 01:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The computer turned off normally last night then this morning when I went to turn it on nothing happened. On the back of the unit were dsl is plugged in that light is on and on the front of the unit there is a light and that is lit. When I press the start button another light on the front of the unit should come on and I would hear the cpu start up.... that is not happening. btw I have the computer plugged into a multi strip/surge protector so that gets turned off every night and I did unplug the computer from that and plugged it into a working outlet so that is not the issue. Thanks for the help in advance.

pollo star Feb 29, 2012, 05:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think this indicate a power source failure . Also check the power switch connector is still connected or not.If so , you may have to replace the power supply.

Gabe Griggs Dec 16, 2012, 12:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My computer won't turn on at all. I checked everything it it still won't work. Do you think its dead.

Patrick Acheson Nov 16, 2015, 04:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, im having the same problem when i press the on button nothing happens no fans nothing everything seems right part from the ram but would that stop thr whole pc from working?

Ricky Mac Jul 26, 2017, 06:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
check the back of the computer and see if the plug is still in there

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.